Day 17: Morocco vs Spain | Portugal vs Switzerland (Last 16 7&8)

croadyman

All the Portugal players have looked great in this game (aside from CR7).

Switzerland have played so badly I wouldn't be surprised if their team had indeed been ill as per their manager.

I would not be rating/overrating Ramos/Felix/Pepe/Leao etc. based on this game.
Finally someone has some sanity

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Where did Ronaldo go? Cmon put your country before your individual interests

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Every Portuguese players celebrating happily, meanwhile Ronaldo looking pissed. :lol:

Real Name

Portugal is a lot more direct than Spain and shouldnt have trouble with Morroco however Morroco has been brave and good in this tournament. That is if Ronaldo won't start.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Finally someone has some sanity
I rate Leao and Felix highly but its based on what I've seen of them over the course of the season, not just today.

Ramos I can't judge this early but he had a great game of course.

MrEleson

As good as Portugal were. Switzerland were so bad. Wasn’t expecting such a one-sided game. Jaoao Felix played some mesmerising stuff though.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Portugal to the semis, i think they have chances against either France or England

Morocco will have a mare cause Portugal play more direct than Spain.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Portugal is a lot more direct than Spain and shouldnt have trouble with Morroco however Morroco has been brave and good in this tournament. That is if Ronaldo won't start.
Marocco won't defend like Switzerland

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Where did Ronaldo go? Cmon put your country before your individual interests
probably a good time to tell him it was a qatar and djibouti joint bid and the rest of the tournament will be played in the horn of africa.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Portugal to the semis, i think they have chances against either France or England

Morocco will have a mare cause Portugal play more direct than Spain.
Wouldn’t rule out Morocco yet

Robertd0803

Funny/sad how when Ronaldos out of the United/Portugal side everyone plays better.

He will probably still end up scoring the winner in the final now but anyway.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Australia did alright didn't they all thing considered ? I think it's hard for the underdogs, the pressure is too much. The way some teams have played in this round in comparison to the group stages where you can save yourself with some scenarios. Here it's win or go home
Yeah I was going to say apart from Australia, they run Argentina close. Japan and Croatia you could say evenly balanced, Japan slight underdogs but failed to come out on top. Morroco the only underdog to come through.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Portugal won't see as much chances against Morocco as they had tonight. Morroco are a lot more disciplined and compact. They won't leave much gaps to be exploited.

Eplel

Portugal's biggest strength is the versatility of Felix/Bruno/Silva. All 3 organizing and creating at the same time, all over the pitch. If a defence has a weakness, they'll find it.

Real Name

Portugal won't see as much chances against Morocco as they had tonight. Morroco are a lot more disciplined and compact. They won't leave much gaps to be exploited.
Agree but if anything they'll try that defense more than the Spanish.

always_hoping

Erik ten Hag is one of the smartest managers around then again it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ronaldo as good as he was is well past his best now and teams can now play better without him starting. Very impressive performance by Portugal tonight interesting match against Morocco next who were well organised defensively against Spain.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Marocco won't defend like Switzerland
Trust me, they will if Portugal scores fast, their midfield can't create anything going forward, which is why they gonna park the bus and pray for another 0-0 like they did today against Spain.

Btw the last time Switzerland conceded these many goals was in 1994.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
All the Portugal players have looked great in this game (aside from CR7).

Switzerland have played so badly I wouldn't be surprised if their team had indeed been ill as per their manager.

I would not be rating/overrating Ramos/Felix/Pepe/Leao etc. based on this game.
I'm with you on this one. Portugal played very well BUT no match at this level should ever end more than 3-1. The Swiss played with 40 meter distance between CF and CB. Suicide against a superior opponent like Portugal.
I just think this Swiss team made Portugal look much better than they are. But it also shows up Ronaldo as the bottleneck in their attack.
True. It's baffling really. They should have turtled up and tried the route A to Breel Embolo + perhaps one more in support. Ronaldo is done but this new kid looks a very tidy finisher. And Leao is something else. Just a specimen like Bale once was.

Real Name

Ronaldo didn't celebrate with the others, he just took of to the dressing room.
Incredible.
What's his acolytes' take on this?

Boavista

Probably. The surprising part is Switzerland were extremely disciplined and compact against Brazil, but tonight none of that. But then again conceding early meant their game plan flew out the window and they had to open up which is obviously not their strength.