Day 17: Morocco vs Spain | Portugal vs Switzerland (Last 16 7&8)

mu4c_20le

Morocco are just as conservative with their defending. If they were more aggressive with their pressing this game would open up. It remains a both sides equation.
If only LVG had this kind of defending

Sylar

I've long argued that the opposition tactics are what make Spain games boring, and again, it's true here but I think Spain's tactics also contribute to a frustrating game. They're too conservative with their passing. It'd be nice to see one of their players get on the ball and drive at defenders, to shift it and shoot. Just mix it up a little.

I mean, teams park the bus v Man City or v that prime Barcelona team but their games were never as boring as Spain games always seem to be.
Barca had Messi and City right now have Haaland.

spain are missing a Villa/Torres type right now. But even so, Spain have had some really intriguing matches this tournament.
v Costa Rica who basically were kamikaze and just kept conceding.
V Germany in one of the best group games this tournament
v Japan which was a decent game.

This one cant just be put on Spain.

Blood Mage

Are Pedri and Carvajal the only world class players in this Spain team currently?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Morocco are just as conservative with their defending. If they were more aggressive with their pressing this game would open up. It remains a both sides equation.
I agree.

I think Spain fall in love a bit too much with passing for passing sakes though. He's got a midfielder at right back, at centre back and at striker. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that...

Stocar

I've long argued that the opposition tactics are what make Spain games boring, and again, it's true here but I think Spain's tactics also contribute to a frustrating game. They're too conservative with their passing. It'd be nice to see one of their players get on the ball and drive at defenders, to shift it and shoot. Just mix it up a little.

I mean, teams park the bus v Man City or v that prime Barcelona team but their games were never as boring as Spain games always seem to be.
Agree completely. I think the main reason is them simply lacking quality to attack. No top quality upfront, and no physicality and drive from midfield. But at least they try to play football.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Barca had Messi and City right now have Haaland.

spain are missing a Villa/Torres type right now. But even so, Spain have had some really intriguing matches this tournament.
v Costa Rica who basically were kamikaze and just kept conceding.
V Germany in one of the best group games this tournament
v Japan which was a decent game.

This one cant just be put on Spain.
Haaland is totally reliant on his teammates creating for him though. He could be in this Spain team and you wouldn't even know he's playing. They show no urgency and take no risks. I think with the quality of players they have, they could do a wee bit more.

Sylar

Morata coming on. Spain can go a bit more direct now

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Morata coming on thankfully. Hopefully with a natural striker up there now we see a bit more prowess in the final third.

Sylar

Haaland is totally reliant on his teammates creating for him though. He could be in this Spain team and you wouldn't even know he's playing. They show no urgency and take no risks. I think with the quality of players they have, they could do a wee bit more.
Spain defo would get the ball more in the box if they had Haaland up top though.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Someone please explain to me the validity of playing Asensio there. I'd understand if he was in top form
Especially when Morata has been uncharacteristically knocking a few goals in.

Skills

Snitch
Not really sure how I rate Dani Olmo. He feels way too central to Spain's attack for someone of his quality

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How soft do you have to be to go down injured blocking the ball?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Moroccan manager looks like a coked up Roberto Martinez following a 72 hour bender in Vegas

rajds89

Someone is going to have to explain to me the hype surrounding Gavi. In all the games I've watched him be it Spain or Barcelona, he hasn't looked anything like the player he is being touted as.

Stocar

I mean, thats exactly what they are doing, except they are turtling in the midfield. 1 attempt 0 on target after dominating for an hour.
How can a team turtle up in midfield? Only explanation is that other team is 100% defensive from the get go and not even trying to win the ball until their final third.

mu4c_20le

How can team turtle up in midfield? Only explanation is that other team is 100% defensive from the get go and not even trying to win the ball until their final third.
Trying to win the ball off Spain isn't wise thoug, thats what they want you to do