Day 17: Netherlands vs. Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moriarty

Never been of course there are many in the Mission, I liked Tlaloc in the financial district and El Farolito in South SF
There was a super one in San Rafael right under the freeway overpass on 4th Street. Can't remember the name but nobody spoke English and on Saturday morning the place was full of hungover Mexicans eating menudo.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
There was a super one in San Rafael right under the freeway overpass on 4th Street. Can't remember the name but nobody spoke English and on Saturday morning the place was full of hungover Mexicans eating menudo.
Without a doubt, apart from sushi, I miss the quality of authentic Mexican food you can find

Mozart

A handful of quality authentic mexican restaurants in Vienna surprisingly enough.

Although most are Tex-Mex stuff as well.

one340

A handful of quality authentic mexican restaurants in Vienna surprisingly enough.

Although most are Tex-Mex stuff as well.
As a Mexican I can't stand when people call Tex-Mex authentic Mexican food. Also, how did this thread go from the game to food? I mean i'm not bothered by it but the caf has been notorious this year to talk about the hot women at the World cup. Its nice for a forum to drift away to food for once

Mozart

As a Mexican I can't stand when people call Tex-Mex authentic Mexican food. Also, how did this thread go from the game to food? I mean i'm not bothered by it but the caf has been notorious this year to talk about the hot women at the World cup. Its nice for a forum to drift away to food for once
Well, food is awesome. And I agree. Give me a taco de suadero any day of the week instead of chili con carne

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Don't you think it's better if Holland go as far as possible? LVG will come to United on a high. Can you imagine if LVG wins the WC with Holland? He will be treated like a God back in England and all the refs will bend over for him like SAF.
This, I hope Holland go all the way.

margarito86

Yes, I watch films too, I know this aswell.

But why is this then? Where does it originate from? What if I want to refer to mexicans as gringos? Argies and Brazilians call most foreigners gringos, don't they? What is the meaning of life?

So many questions.
"Gringo" means foreigner.

It is often used by Mexicans IN American to a "white" person... but if you go to mexico, most people will use the term "gringo" to refer to anything foreign.

It's not necessary as black and white as you make it seem.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Well this is a rather strange OT discussion. Anyway from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary :

Definition of GRINGO : female GRINGA
often disparaging
: a foreigner in Spain or Latin America especially when of English or American origin; broadly : a non-Hispanic person

Origin of GRINGO
Spanish, alteration of griego meaning Greek, stranger, from Latin Graecus meaning Greek
First Known Use: 1849

:)

Pirul

Lol, despite all the definitions you can find… here in mexico, a gringo is anyone from the united states, despite their race or ascendance…

Now back on topic…

Tomorrow's match Mexico wins 2-1

I base this in a possibly overconfident holland, the quality of the mexican team, and heart this guys are showing every game… the fact that im mexican has nothing to do with my predictions :rolleyes:

jimorrison

gringo is what mexicans call americans/whites mostly, no matter what u.s. state they are from.

never heard anybody/anyone call a Mexican a gringo. WTF really. SMH :/

Srpiniata

Well as have been said before gringo is mostly someone from gringolandia aka the united states. A dutch in most cases will not be called a gringo if it is known to be dutch. Also in most case is not disparaging, to make it disparaging it should be used whit other words, for example: pinche gringo << disparaging. The spanish language have so many curse words that are used in a friendly way that you really must speak the language to know when someone is actually insulting you (the negrito case comes to mind).

On topic, im actually worried that Vasquez is not gonna play this game, he has been one of the most solid players for Mexico so far and have played pretty much a perfect world cup. Salcido does have the capacity to substitute him but i worry about his pace. I think Hernandez should start this game, on all 3 games when Hernandez came in Mexico started atacking whit more pace and better ideas, and he actually have provided some unreal passes. Oribe has not been at his best all this year and he didn't deserve to be a starter this world cup, during the 3 WC games the only thing i remember about him was the goal against Cameroon, otherwise it feels like Mexico is playing whit 10 players. Gio could pose troubles for the dutch defense, but i believe he needs space that Chicharito excels at creating.

Finally i might be the only person that believes that for this team the most important defender is not Marquez but Moreno, yes Marquez might provide experience and position, but the one that have made all the hard work have been Moreno, whitout him this defense would come apart since he is the only one whit both experince and pace.

P.S. FIFA should really consider that 2 yellow rule, it hurts the tournament having some players banned for accumulating yellows, more so in knockout rounds that are played in a single game (in Champions League you always have the second one).

Pirul

Well as have been said before gringo is mostly someone from gringolandia aka the united states. A dutch in most cases will not be called a gringo if it is known to be dutch. Also in most case is not disparaging, to make it disparaging it should be used whit other words, for example: pinche gringo << disparaging. The spanish language have so many curse words that are used in a friendly way that you really must speak the language to know when someone is actually insulting you (the negrito case comes to mind).

On topic, im actually worried that Vasquez is not gonna play this game, he has been one of the most solid players for Mexico so far and have played pretty much a perfect world cup. Salcido does have the capacity to substitute him but i worry about his pace. I think Hernandez should start this game, on all 3 games when Hernandez came in Mexico started atacking whit more pace and better ideas, and he actually have provided some unreal passes. Oribe has not been at his best all this year and he didn't deserve to be a starter this world cup, during the 3 WC games the only thing i remember about him was the goal against Cameroon, otherwise it feels like Mexico is playing whit 10 players. Gio could pose troubles for the dutch defense, but i believe he needs space that Chicharito excels at creating.

Finally i might be the only person that believes that for this team the most important defender is not Marquez but Moreno, yes Marquez might provide experience and position, but the one that have made all the hard work have been Moreno, whitout him this defense would come apart since he is the only one whit both experince and pace.

P.S. FIFA should really consider that 2 yellow rule, it hurts the tournament having some players banned for accumulating yellows, more so in knockout rounds that are played in a single game (in Champions League you always have the second one).

I agree with you, also i think that Miguel Herrera needs to tell Giovanni that he needs to take on the defenders, he has the skill and pace, but he seems to be lacking on attitude (wich hernandez just oozes from every pore). I think that Miguel Herrera doesn't want to loose that boost in attacking force that Hernandez gives from the bench, and I agree with him, he just needs to sort out the starting fowards, that again, IMO just lacks gio trying to take on one or two defenders and then make the pass… we'll see tomorrow.

doodle

Its a retarded rule by FIFA

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Don't call me gringo, concha.

Pirul

I bet Chicharito scores a brace if he starts.
He won't Herrera already gave his starting eleven…

--------ochoa-------
Aguilar-Rodriguez-Marquez-Moreno-Layun
Herrera-Salcido-guardado
Dos santos------ Peralta

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid

--------ochoa-------
Herrera-Salcido-guardado
Dos santos------ Peralta
Do they always play with 5 at the back or is this just some weird bluff to make LVG not play his 5-3-2? Isn't it very early to be revealing your starting 11 and formation?

Hausen

Layun and Aguilar run up and down the flanks the whole match, they're machines.
I believe Herrera gives his lineup and formation out a few days before the match as one of his techniques. I think he does this with the purpose of the opponent having to adjust themselves to Mexico's formation/lineup and not the other way around. Whatever the reason, it's been working.
can't wait

jgprime

Do they always play with 5 at the back or is this just some weird bluff to make LVG not play his 5-3-2? Isn't it very early to be revealing your starting 11 and formation?
Herrera always plays with 5 at the back. I don't know why he reveals his 11 so early though, although he also does that regularly.

Amwar

Can't that 5-3-2 easily turn into a 3-5-2. I think Marquez, Moreno and Rodriguez are the only defenders. Unless Aguilar is one too, don't know much about him.

jgprime

Can't that 5-3-2 easily turn into a 3-5-2. I think Marquez, Moreno and Rodriguez are the only defenders. Unless Aguilar is one too, don't know much about him.
Layún & Aguilar work as wing backs. They were pretty fundamental in Herrera's squad while he was at Club América, they both usually run back and forth throughout the game. With the national squad both usually play a bit deeper and attacking tasks are usually left to the midfielders & strikers. So yeah, 5 defenders.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Mexico will need their keeper to perform heroics again to stand a chance. They need to double man mark Robben as well. Need van Persie to have an off day. But it's not impossible. Would be great if Mexico wins this. Their country needs it more than the Dutch.

toky_world

as a mexican I want Mexico to win this one 1-0 or 6-5 just win it dammit!

however i do feel that this could go either way. with Mexico strugglin for a 2-1, or 1-0 win. Or a blowout by Holland 3-0, or 4-1.

Be sure of one thing. Mexico will give everything.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Mexico will need their keeper to perform heroics again to stand a chance. They need to double man mark Robben as well. Need van Persie to have an off day. But it's not impossible. Would be great if Mexico wins this. Their country needs it more than the Dutch.
On the basis of what?

labamba

That the country is poor i suppose? The Dutch don't need a distraction from problems :P

Pirul

We've been playing 5-3-2 ever since Miguel Herrera took the team 6 months ago… he always announces starting 11 a day before the match, I also don fully understand the reason for this, but I always thought it showed he has a spine… Let's see how this turns out, hopefully mexico will give a perfect game and we can all talk about what an amazing match we witnessed

thira7power

Well this is a rather strange OT discussion. Anyway from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary :

Definition of GRINGO : female GRINGA
often disparaging
: a foreigner in Spain or Latin America especially when of English or American origin; broadly : a non-Hispanic person

Origin of GRINGO
Spanish, alteration of griego meaning Greek, stranger, from Latin Graecus meaning Greek
First Known Use: 1849

:)

lol never knew that gringo could mean greek :)

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Was wondering that too.
I'm sure we could find someone to argue their point for hours.

Usually I'd like to see Mexico get walloped but for some reason this time around I'm happy for either side to win. Must be going soft in my old age ;)

Stocar

--------ochoa-------
Herrera-Salcido-Guardado
Dos santos------ Peralta
That's three players who are originally left wingbacks!

labamba

In that case, Greece need it more than anyone.
I believe any Latin or Central American country need it more than Greece if going by those criteria. Anyway, I believe both countries have had good performances but Holland deserves a WC so I am going to support them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I believe any Latin or Central American country need it more than Greece if going by those criteria. Anyway, I believe both countries have had good performances but Holland deserves a WC so I am going to support them.
Let's not get into a debate about the economy of the countries left in the world cup. ;)

Anyway, Netherlands have more United connection, so I'll support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.