Day 17: Netherlands vs. Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimorrison

I don't think anyone besides you really cares that much whether it was a dive or not. The second photo looks like his heel is touching Robben's toe - if it isn't, and the ref made a marginal error, so what? Shit happens, time to move on.
if you didn't care, you would not be in this thread or replying. it was a dive, ref took the bait and Mexico lost.

both pictures are of the same moment from 2 different angles. just inspect every element in both pictures, everything is the same. robben dived, was never a penalty.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
if you didn't care, you would not be in this thread or replying. it was a dive, ref took the bait and Mexico lost.

both pictures are of the same moment from 2 different angles. just inspect every element in both pictures, everything is the same. robben dived, was never a penalty.
I agree it was not a penalty, but you're just wasting your energy here. Doubt many care if it was or not, and those that do will hardly change their mind. As brwned said above, shit happens, lets get drunk.

jimorrison

I agree it was not a penalty, but you're just wasting your energy here. Doubt many care if it was or not, and those that do will hardly change their mind. As brwned said above, shit happens, lets get drunk.
yeah shit happens, but it was never a penalty.

it was not a just way for Mexico to loose, with a dive by robben and bad call by the ref. if Mexico had lost in extra time or penalties, then no problem. but to lose because a clear dive and the ref taking the bait so easily, is just utter bullshit.

also don't forget all the other bad decisions vs Mexico in the group play.

YzWayne

yeah shit happens, but it was never a penalty.

it was not a just way for Mexico to loose, with a dive by robben and bad call by the ref. if Mexico had lost in extra time or penalties, then no problem. but to lose because a clear dive and the ref taking the bait so easily, is just utter bullshit.

also don't forget all the other bad decisions vs Mexico in the group play.
We got your point but ranting on both different threads will not change anything. You might want to try showing the pictures to FIFA, think you have a better chance there.

thisISben

I couldn't watch this match due to being on a bus from London to Swansea, so I had to look at updates on Bet365. This didn't help my nerves when I had a £100 bet on this match :lol:

Anyway, I read about it all on here before seeing it and was looking forward to seeing the pen. In my opinion, he dived. It's weird because if he saying he dived for the first half incident then what does he say about the penalty that was given? In the first half it looked a better penalty shout by some margin. It's incredibly frustrating when he chucks his arms in the air, and his legs...he could've easily kept going but instead just fell. Dived.

Contact doesn't mean penalty, this isn't a non-contact sport so there shouldn't even be a discussion whether contact means foul. He wasn't impeded at all, it's a dive all day long.

But he should've had one in the first half, justice? :lol:

Gorefest

if Mexico had lost in extra time or penalties, then no problem. but to lose because a clear dive and the ref taking the bait so easily, is just utter bullshit.
Mexico lost becaused they stopped playing football after they went 1-0 up. If you had kept going after the first goal, no way in hell would you have lost this game. The Netherlands was hanging in the ropes at that point. You should have pressed for the second goal, instead of switching to the defensive.

And crying about poor refereeing decisions in the group stages is silly, you got through them. The Netherlands conceded two unfair penalties in the group stages. How is that relevant to this match?

jimorrison

Mexico lost becaused they stopped playing football after they went 1-0 up. If you had kept going after the first goal, no way in hell would you have lost this game. The Netherlands was hanging in the ropes at that point. You should have pressed for the second goal, instead of switching to the defensive.

And crying about poor refereeing decisions in the group stages is silly, you got through them. The Netherlands conceded two unfair penalties in the group stages. How is that relevant to this match?
sure Mexico could have tried to score a 2nd goal but Piojo chose to play it safe, bad decision in the end. Piojo knew that if he went more on the offensive, than this would open tons of space in the back for RVP but specially for robben to take advantage of with his speed. more than likely this is when holland would have scored because Mexico has one of the slowest if not the slowest CB's in the world cup. so Piojo obviously chose not to risk the game that way.

no one is crying, but simply stating my opinion that robben dived and the ref took the bait.

imperi

I love the ignorance of some on here stating that Robben dived all the time. Moreno broke his fecking shin tackling Robben in the box. Yes Robben fell like a dying swan when Marquez hit him, but he did get hit. Marquez defended like a little kid challenging like that, then it is up to the ref. Maybe the pen was given easily but stating he didnt get hit and he full on dove sounds as one that is blind from frustration.

jimorrison

I love the ignorance of some on here stating that Robben dived all the time. Moreno broke his fecking shin tackling Robben in the box. Yes Robben fell like a dying swan when Marquez hit him, but he did get hit. Marquez defended like a little kid challenging like that, then it is up to the ref. Maybe the pen was given easily but stating he didnt get hit and he full on dove sounds as one that is blind from frustration.
actually robben broke moreno's tibia when he kicked him before he fell down.

marquez never hit, touched,tripped,stepped, or contacted robben.

robben dived and the ref took the bait.

Gorefest

Oh jeez, that is rich :lol: Do you have stills of this as well, by any chance? As far as I recall, two Mexicans were sliding in on Robben's ankles from two sides, but you saw Robben actually kicking Moreno before he got bundled over? Wow. Robben must have walked straight out of the Matrix.

Mali_Zeus

Oh jeez, that is rich :lol: Do you have stills of this as well, by any chance? As far as I recall, two Mexicans were sliding in on Robben's ankles from two sides, but you saw Robben actually kicking Moreno before he got bundled over? Wow. Robben must have walked straight out of the Matrix.
Not to mention Vlaar nearly cut Herrera's head off with his leg.

And ref took the bait.

Gorefest

Not to mention Vlaar nearly cut Herrera's head off with his leg.

And ref took the bait.
Well, Vlaar's leg was really high, but it wasn't studs up, he hit the ball first, and the Mexican player did duck his head down low towards the ball as well. Although The Netherlands did indeed get a bit lucky there, a penalty could have been given on that one. But the same goes for the high boot on Van Persie later in the game though, that Mexican foot was way higher up in the air than Vlaar's and nearly kicked Van Persie's head off.

imperi

marquez never hit, touched,tripped,stepped, or contacted robben.

robben dived and the ref took the bait.
I actually felt sorry for the Mexicans, though these abomination of posts makes that very difficult.

And for the Vlaar clearance, if im not mistaken a high leg in the box is not a pen but an indirect free kick.

Gorefest

It wasn't, plus he hit the ball first, but if a penalty had been given I would have understood the ref's decision. Luckily for The Netherlands it wasn't and the rtef made the right call. We already have had two unfair penalties given against us in previous matches, wouldn't have liked to see it becoming a trend.

jimorrison

Well, Vlaar's leg was really high, but it wasn't studs up, he hit the ball first, and the Mexican player did duck his head down low towards the ball as well. Although The Netherlands did indeed get a bit lucky there, a penalty could have been given on that one. But the same goes for the high boot on Van Persie later in the game though, that Mexican foot was way higher up in the air than Vlaar's and nearly kicked Van Persie's head off.
nope, Herrera headed the ball toward the goal but missed. vlaar never makes contact with the ball and thus hits herrera's face/head in the process.

the play by maza was never a penalty because he clearly clears the ball to the corner kick and RVP's head is not trying to control or make contact with the ball. maza jumps, sticks his foot around RVP and clears the ball outside and gives holland a corner kick. his foot was never close to RVP's head, always aiming for the ball.

sorry but you cant compare Vlaars play to Maza's clearance with his cleat.

jimorrison

no stills unfortunately, but in the replay you can clearly see where robben takes advantage and kicks Morenos shin thus injuring/breaking his tibia.

imperi

nope, Herrera headed the ball toward the goal but missed. vlaar never makes contact with the ball and thus hits herrera's face/head in the process.

the play by maza was never a penalty because he clearly clears the ball to the corner kick and RVP's head is not trying to control or make contact with the ball. maza jumps, sticks his foot around RVP and clears the ball outside and gives holland a corner kick. his foot was never close to RVP's head, always aiming for the ball.

sorry but you cant compare Vlaars play to Maza's clearance with his cleat.
I suggest you take another look at the replays, Vlaar hits the ball and he does make contact with Herrera who has his head at stomach height. Never enough for a pen.

Gorefest

no stills unfortunately, but in the replay you can clearly see where robben takes advantage and kicks Morenos shin thus injuring/breaking his tibia.
Are we still talking about the match that happened yesterday in Fortaleza, or are we discussing the match that happened in your head? Because as far as I can tell, you seem to have observed almost every crucial event in a different way than the rest of the forum. And than the video footage, or the pictures.

jimorrison

I suggest you take another look at the replays, Vlaar hits the ball and he does make contact with Herrera who has his head at stomach height. Never enough for a pen.
and I suggest likewise. Herrera heads the ball first, Vlaar never makes contact with the ball but he does kick Herrera in the face/head. just look where the ball ends up after Herrera heads it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
bullshit, Herrera headed the ball. vlaar never made contact with the ball. I suggest you go back and look at the replay.
Are you high? You're spouting your nonsense in two topics. Sure a ref could give a penalty because of dangerous play.

But Ron Vlaar hit the ball. I have it from 4 angles, and he hits the ball. Yet you say he never made contact with it?

With the outside of the right foot he hits the ball in case you still don't see it.

jimorrison

Are you high? You're spouting your nonsense in two topics. Sure a ref could give a penalty because of dangerous play.

But Ron Vlaar hit the ball. I have it from 4 angles, and he hits the ball. Yet you say he never made contact with it?

With the outside of the right foot he hits the ball in case you still don't see it.
show your so called 4 angles. Herrera made contact with the ball first even if like you say vlaar touched the ball. the first contact is most important, then vlarr might have kicked the ball but he also kicked herrera in the face/head.

ricardinhoe

Why do you guys keep arguing with this muppet? It should be clear by now that he doesn't value evidence.

Mali_Zeus

I was kidding cause jimorrison said he nearly cut his head off...

I think it wasnt a penalty, sure leg was high but Vlaar went for the ball and Herrera put his head there.

Anyway we shouldnt fall anymore for jimorrison's wumming.

Bloedrood

Meh, don't care if it wasn't a penalty. Robben should have already had a penalty in the first half when RVP made that through pass to Robben. Both defenders knocked Robben and not the ball. Don't hear anybody about that. I even said to my mate while watching that game that if the ref saw that during half time he'll be looking to make up for it the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

I care in the sense that I watched it and happened to open this page at your post, and had 1 minute of my time to waste...

I can't believe you think that is the exact same moment. In one you can see Marquez's foot is nowhere near the ground or Robben's foot, in the other he's touching the ground and Robben's foot.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Hope Argentina destroy Holland in the semis. Don't want them to taint another World Cup final.

Revan

Assumptionman
sure Mexico could have tried to score a 2nd goal but Piojo chose to play it safe, bad decision in the end. Piojo knew that if he went more on the offensive, than this would open tons of space in the back for RVP but specially for robben to take advantage of with his speed. more than likely this is when holland would have scored because Mexico has one of the slowest if not the slowest CB's in the world cup. so Piojo obviously chose not to risk the game that way.

no one is crying, but simply stating my opinion that robben dived and the ref took the bait.
What about the pen on the first half that wasn't given? Are we just supposed to ignore that it happened.

Also, the pen was a pen. I have seen quite a few times now and I just don't get how anyone says that it wasn't a pen.

Revan

Assumptionman
There will be a massive meltdown if Holland run the table through four Spanish sides....Mexico, Costa Rica, Argentina, and Columbia.
After they defeated both a Spanish side (Chile) and Spain itself on the groups. Make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.