Day 18: Croatia vs Brazil | Netherlands vs Argentina (QF 1&2)

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
I usually don't bet. But after having seen all matches so far, the picture seems to be pretty clear to me: From Argentina, Croatia, England/France and Portugal/Morocco, without intentionally teasing my English friends, I see only one clear favorite to win the World Cup, and one underdog with amazing odds: France and Morocco. Am I alone with my assessment?

cpresc

Morocco in the Semis and Croatia in the Final would be a pretty sweet fixture list for us :)

Joel Miller

This is another nonsensical narrative. Messi is not carrying a hapless Argentina team. They are quite rounded and decently balanced team. Of course not everyone is Messi level, but the team is pretty good and rightly called potential winners before the WC itself.
Utter nonsense. They look very ordinary outside of that one player. It’s also the most reliant I’ve ever seen a top side on one player in my lifetime.

Half the time his team mates are struggling to control routing passes or make 5 yard passes.

Pocho

Classless morons, I hate this kind of behaviour.

The dutch players were talking all game. Even the subs enter the field and should have been booked. Van Gaal talking before the match.

Smacky The Frog

Maybe an unfortunate angle and not ALL of them are taunting the Dutch, but that's a terrible look. Argentina do make it tough to root for them. Outside of Messi, who by his standards has been a bit of a shithouse in this WC too, think this team would be viewed a lot more like Uruguay.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Hope that ref doesn’t ref the final. Will have 22 yellow cards.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Not that I really rate Argentina as some super force on the face of it but I believe they have all the tools to best Croatia. Technically sound with plenty of bite and a sprinkle of genius. Could see it going to penalties as well.

Acuna and Montiel are as good a wingback pair as any in the tournament, Otamendi is a rock at the back, Messi and di Maria can unpick any defence, Paredes and de Paul are Ultimate assholes that you would want in your team.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Lahoz was a joke. I hope that was his last game of the tournament. I counted at least three times where an Argentina player did an excellent slide tackle, cleanly took the ball and he called it back for free kicks. Not booking van Dijk after the scuffle was another strange decision. Timber being allowed to foul with impunity after being booked. I thought Berghuis' yellow was a joke too. Adding 10 minutes was scandalous. Probably did it so he could get as much air time as possible. The Spanish Mike Dean.

Ramos

After today England is now the most likable team as far as i'm concerned with a real chance to win it all (not counting Morocco).

Dr. StrangeHate

Who cares? Anyone who watched them in this WC and understand a bit about the game, will know who was the most influential. Messi carried Argentina (I doubt they'll make it to the final tbh) and the other has not only been but a hindrance for Portugal but also a right prick on top of that.
Only the narrative matters for the casual. If Portugal win and Ronaldo doesn't play a single minute in the next three matches, he will be the GOAT for majority of the casuals.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
This is another nonsensical narrative. Messi is not carrying a hapless Argentina team. They are quite rounded and decently balanced team. Of course not everyone is Messi level, but the team is pretty good and rightly called potential winners before the WC itself.
In this wc they defintely have incredibly reliant on Messi for creativity. They havnt had a single cleansheet this tournament. Im not saying they are shit, they just look bang average.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's a really strange narrative. There's nothing wrong to simply say that this Argentina team have done well and Messi has stepped up when he's been needed most, showing that he's the right choice to captain this side.

Pocho

Lahoz was a joke. I hope that was his last game of the tournament. I counted at least three times where an Argentina player did an excellent slide tackle, cleanly took the ball and he called it back for free kicks. Not booking van Dijk after the scuffle was another strange decision. Timber being allowed to foul with impunity after being booked. I thought Berghuis' yellow was a joke too. Adding 10 minutes was scandalous. Probably did it so he could get as much air time as possible. The Spanish Mike Dean.
this exactly

Pocho

In this wc they defintely have incredibly reliant on Messi for creativity. They havnt had a single cleansheet this tournament. Im not saying they are shit, they just look bang average.
Mexico

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
They had clean sheets v Mexico and Poland.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
After today England is now the most likable team as far as i'm concerned with a real chance to win it all (not counting Morocco).
Yeah, that's probably fair.

Aside from maybe Foden, Grealish, Henderson, Pickford, Walker, Dier, Coady, Maguire, Trippier, Stones, Ramsdale, Kane there are very few cnuts in that squad.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

I was first rooting for them because of Messi, but then they started their typical sh*thousery. Glad to see Brazil go out after their dancing nonsense, would love to see these guys lose then, bunch of classless players (minus Messi, ironically the best player out of all of them).

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You mean this?

Overreaction from the Dutch bench. Granted, I'm sure they really love that seat and hate to see it be hit with a ball but still, no need to react like that.

The tackle was a bad one, admittedly.

edit: that video doesn't show it but the replay did. It was literally an empty part of the bench it hit.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Utter nonsense. They look very ordinary outside of that one player. It’s also the most reliant I’ve ever seen a top side on one player in my lifetime.

Half the time his team mates are struggling to control routing passes or make 5 yard passes.
See you're proving their point, OTT just to make Messi look better. He's their best player but they aint a bunch of plebs.

Ramos

Aside from maybe Foden, Grealish, Henderson, Pickford, Walker, Dier, Coady, Maguire, Trippier, Stones, Ramsdale, Kane there are very few cnuts in that squad.
These guys are clearly saints compared to Paredes and Otamendi.

Kopral Jono

Glad Argentine went through. Wouldn't have stomached 2 teams who got outplayed going through.

Just like with Croatia, Netherlands only shots on goals resulted in goals. Croatia went through penalties after scoring from their only(deflected) shot on goal and Netherlands almost pulled it off which would have just been annoying to me.
I agree. As much as I wanted Holland to pull through after Paredes' antics ultimately an Argentina win is what my subconsciousness desires. Just like Croatia earlier, Holland would have been lucky if they had gone through.

CallyRed

Overreaction from the Dutch bench. Granted, I'm sure they really love that seat and hate to see it be hit with a ball but still, no need to react like that.

The tackle was a bad one, admittedly.

edit: that video doesn't show it but the replay did. It was literally an empty part of the bench it hit.
But the intention was clear. I don't think he was aiming for an empty seat. I think the reaction was understandable

Idxomer

:lol:

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
You can't be serious, refs were helping Argentina all night.