Day 19: Argentina vs. Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Orduck

Argentina must have had the easiest set of fixtures of anyone at this World Cup. It's ridiculous. It'll be the quarter-finals before they finally play a decent team.

binary bot
There will be an upset somewhere in the last 16...this is it!

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
When you're dependent on one player to get results, it always leaves you vulnerable to an upset. I don't expect the Suisse to pull it off but love to see them actually put in a decent 90 min performance since they haven't played well in this WC so far. By the same token, Di Maria is due to finally show his quality and lessen the burden for Leo

In the end, I expect that Argentina's attack will be too much for the Suisse who won't be able to create enough danger on the other end

SpeelerD

Argentina must have had the easiest set of fixtures of anyone at this World Cup. It's ridiculous. It'll be the quarter-finals before they finally play a decent team.
Would be hilarious if they get USA in the quarter finals and costa rica in the semis

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
You mean teams who have sat back and defended for their lives?

They've been reliant solely on one player, but they were never going to give the bus parkers a tonking

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Imagine this: United States beat Belgium, USA will play Argentina (assuming they beat Switzerland), then Costa Rica beat the Dutch. Argentina vs Costa Rica semi final. Imagine that for a route to the final.

Carter99

Imagine this: United States beat Belgium, USA will play Argentina (assuming they beat Switzerland), then Costa Rica beat the Dutch. Argentina vs Costa Rica semi final. Imagine that for a route to the final.
wont happen. Netherlands will destroy Costa Rica (if they keep playing like the Greece Game)

Blodssvik

Will be celebrating Canada day then. Hope the swiss play in red and white and win. Some people seem to already anticipate a Netherlands vs Argentina semi. I don't think it's written in stone at all.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hoping the Swiss pull this off, but dont expect them to.

Skorenzy

Well, if this WC has made anything clear it's that there is almost no clear favourite IMO. Even just looking at the Round of 16 games featuring a top NT thus far, you've had Chile forcing the host country Brazil to a pen shoot-out; Mexico leading the Netherlands as late as the 88th minute; Algeria forcing Germany into extra time and even then only losing by 1 goal in the end after an heroic effort. France-Nigeria was also incredibly open/tight and relied on somewhat "fortunate" late goals (80th minute).

From what I've seen of both teams in this tourney thus far, this could well be one of the most open games so far. Although it's likely the Swiss will approach it more conservatively than they did their group games. Curious to see what Lavezzi could offer as a starter for Arg. They also need Messi and Di María to step it up and display more of their form as it was in the Nigeria game. It doesn't say much for Arg fabled offensive prowess that their most consistent/best players so far have been the goalie Romero and the right-back Rojo.

punpun

I don't know if I should take this as a sign of things to come, but I open up the fridge and what do I find?

Swiss chocolate, the finest swiss choco of Switzerland, that's what it says on the paper, with the Swiss flag.

:lol:

Bole Top

I thought Switzerland looked pretty good in the last coumple of months and they're certainly good enough to score 1 or 2 here, but I can't see them containing Messi. Argentina probably won't play any different/better than they did against Iran and Nigeria but they'll just outscore them in the end. I'm going for 3-2 or 3-1.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I don't know if I should take this as a sign of things to come, but I open up the fridge and what do I find?

Swiss chocolate, the finest swiss choco of Switzerland, that's what it says on the paper, with the Swiss flag.

:lol:
If you ever visit, you will have to visit some old artisanal chocolatiers for chocolate that will blow your mind - I can guarantee you've never really had the finest chocolate yet

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Switzerland might give them a game, if they can shut down Messi Argentina will be done - thing is I reckon he will score at least one.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Hoping the Swiss pull this off, but dont expect them to.
Everyone knows where your priorities lie there, Cal

I think they could pull an upset but it would require them to play better than they have thus far at the WC...even in spite of how poor Argentina are outside of Leo & Di Maria. Although right now, even Di Maria is not playing as well as he can/should

But it's how impotent the Suisse have been up front that will make them ultimately toothless tonight despite how impressive Shaqiri looked against a poor Honduras. The one advantage the Suisse have is that they are more organized defensively and have a better midfield. They might be able to delay Argentina's attack for a bit but their inability to threaten against even a porous Argentina defense is what will ultimately make winning improbable, IMO

Plus, there's the matter of Cal's favorite obsession, Messi. I already got the impression that he has been pacing himself with the knockout stages in mind and I don't think the Suisse can keep him at bay. 3-1 Argentina

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
This could potentially be the first game of the knockout round a team wins with 3 goals but then again I said the same for Germany and look how it turned out. Belgium vs USA is probably going to end up as a snorefest so I think this could be the game we can see goals, lots of goals. Argentina really should be beating Switzerland.

Blackwidow

That is World Cup 2010... - I do not know if much has changed. Demichelis thinkings about tactic talk with Bayern and Argentina. Left side he thinks - couldn't it be easier - on the right side - couldn't it be more complicated...

imperi

This could be a walk over, same as the French did. Depends if they can hold it together, because Switzerland crumbled like a card house after France scored. When they recovered they scored twice and for a period they were the better team (could have been to France getting compliant). Maybe they can get to that level again and put up Argentina with some resistance. Probably wont happen, 3-1 for Messi and co.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Argentina: Romero, Zabaleta, Fernandez, Garay, Rojo, di Maria, Gago, Mascherano, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain

Switzerland: Benaglio, Lichtsteiner, J. Djourou, Schar, Rodriguez, Behrami, Inler, Shaqiri, Xhaka, Mehmedi, Drmic

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
Argentina is too reliant on Messi. If Messi don't turn up, Argentina is in trouble. Higuain, Di Maria and Lavezzi really need to step up. Di Maria is coming off such a good season so I expect him to lessen Messi's burden.

Smithy89

Give messi the ball and have him run at their right back or djourou, lucky for the swiss senderos isn't playing.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Argentina have some incredible support in this WC. If they win this match, they would really start to believe and drive up the intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.