g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 19: Belgium vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I can see why most people will root for the USA, great team spirit and they show a lot of heart on the pitch, I'd probably support them too if I was a neutral. But I think we'll have too much quality in the end, Hazard can tear up their defence on his own when he gets it going. I hope this is the game where we finally show some of the football we played in the qualifications and win some people over. A lot of people were saying before the WC that it would be good if we were kind of like Chile four years ago, showing the world we can play some exciting football even if we didn't get far into the tournament but so far, it has been the complete opposite.. I'll take a win nevertheless, no matter how it's done. It will be a boring game though I'm afraid, I go with 1-0 Belgium with a goal in the last ten minutes.

MarylandMUFan

I can see why most people will root for the USA, great team spirit and they show a lot of heart on the pitch, I'd probably support them too if I was a neutral. But I think we'll have too much quality in the end, Hazard can tear up their defence on his own when he gets it going. I hope this is the game where we finally show some of the football we played in the qualifications and win some people over. A lot of people were saying before the WC that it would be good if we were kind of like Chile four years ago, showing the world we can play some exciting football even if we didn't get far into the tournament but so far, it has been the complete opposite.. I'll take a win nevertheless, no matter how it's done. It will be a boring game though I'm afraid, I go with 1-0 Belgium with a goal in the last ten minutes.
Thinking back to the friendly last year in Cleveland when Belgium probably could have scored 8 goals ahainst us, this game really worries me. I know things are different than they were last Summer, but the quality is still there for Belgium.

Gorefest

I hope this is the game where we finally show some of the football we played in the qualifications and win some people over.
Here's hoping with you. I really had the Belgians down as the big dark horse of the tournament and I expected a lot from them, but every match so far has been highly disappointing. With a quality squad like our southern neighbours, you'd expect a lot more fireworks than what we've seen so far. A real shame.

Cina

USA on penos I reckon.

That said, Belgium have been poor but you do get the feeling they could take it up a notch, or maybe they are just poor.

daitenshi

All the hype around Belgium was really stupid in the first place, I mean how many people hyped the team just because they knew every single player but didn't even seen the team play once before ? What did people expect ? Some Tiki Taka or something ? If you look at their player they don't have the creativity in midfield to play possession football... If even Germany struggled against overly defensive side, what do you expect them to do ? Through I do agree that I still myself expected a bit more, atleast a higher tempo... Benteke injury was really a big lose for them, Lukaku is great on counter but against those defensive side it's a waste of space. I wish Origi start isntead of Lukaku against USA, Origi is much more likely to bring something against them and Lukaku deadlier if he comes later during the game where his physical could make a great difference and even more so if Belgium is up on the scoresheet.

Anyone looking at the team should see at first glance that this team thrives on counterattack and more direct play, you could see that all the team they played in group stage were afraid of giving them space.... And rightly so ! In the end on the 4 goals they scored, 3 came from counterattack and they could have added a couple more...

USA will be no different I Reckon, I can't see them show much attacking intent except on the break, and we'll most likely see again a boring game unless Belgium get an early goal... If they get through it's more likely against Argentina Belgium will be finally able to play to their strength and not been pushed to play to their weakness.

Through I do agree that I still myself expected a bit more from Belgium, atleast a higher tempo... Benteke injury was really a big lose for them too, Lukaku is great on counter but against those defensive side it's a waste of space. I wish Origi start isntead of Lukaku against USA, Origi is much more likely to bring something against them and Lukaku deadlier if he comes later during the game where his physical could make a great difference and even more so if Belgium is up on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Eboue

Anme

België: Courtois - Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen - Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne - Mertens, Origi, Hazard

Verenigde Staten: Howard - Johnson, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley - Beckerman, Jones - Zusi, Bradley, Davis - Dempsey

According to a Belgian newspaper.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I have no idea while people are saying Belgium have been poor. They have won all three of their matches and only conceded once. No creativity in midfield and no attacking FBs so I have no idea why people expect them to play free flowing Football. But, they have a strong defense, a great GK and a lot of steel in midfield. It will be tough to eliminate them.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
So all the group winners have advanced as predicted, no upset so far in the round of 16. Could this be the one?

RedDevil-85

Hope Belgium win,i think it will be a close game.
Most of all,i just want a good game with nice football being played and lots of chances

Prediction 2-1 to Belgium

Timothy Burns

There has to be at least one upset ...it has been coming so let's hope it's tonight
Wouldn't mind it, but can't really see it for now.

As long as it's less boring than the first 90 minutes of the Argentina game, I'm happy.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ah, Fellaini vs. Beckerman. Hopefully, they don't go in for any headers together; may take them awhile to get unstuck...

Edit: I was looking at the 1st lineups posted. Alas, no terrible hair battle...

Dazzmondo

Hmm, could see this going either way. I'm going for the USA though, they've performed admirably with a very poor squad. Belgium haven't impressed me at all despite getting the easiest group in the tournament. Belgium also don't seem to have that superstar who can open a very compact defence such as the USA's. People could argue Hazard is that type of player, but not based off what I've seen of him at this World Cup.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Will be happy no matter which team goes through. Both were part of my teams for the world cup. Will be difficult to watch.

Come on Fellaini!

ThaReaper01

Line-ups have been out for an hour and I still can't wrap my head around Becks being dropped. Alright, you want to compete aerially but dammit not at Becks' expense. Rather drop Bradley. Don't think Cameron is in midfield if Jozy's playing.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm up for the USA tonight

Think it will be close though

How are you yanks feeling?

Dylan94

F*cking hell, Chris Waddle again. Over to Wimbledon until kick off then.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nice moment in the tunnel with Fellaini and Howard.

Anyway, come on Belgium! feck soccer!

FromTheBench

Neutral between these 2 teams right now.

Will be supporting Belgium if Januzaj comes on.

botond

whats going on in the USA ? 70k public viewers in boston

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Eden Hazard continues to receive the "Messi treatment" from opposing teams. Cameron and Bedoya are in there solely to stop Hazard and cover for Johnson when he goes on his attacking forays.

Status
Not open for further replies.