Day 21: Argentina vs. Belgium

gulli_G

:houllier: Would barely make it into the top 5 premier League era centre backs.
Kompany has everything except the mentality, he switches off sometimes when he should be sensing danger, he always gets found out against big players

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Wilmots is embarrassing himself now. Some bitter comments after making himself look silly with his cocky pre-match remarks.

Aint gota Kalou

Kompanys just very rash. He's got everything else to his game, strong, quick, good on the ball but he's overly aggressive sometimes dives in.

Malva

agree with all that. I think he's like the stevie-me of defenders, world class, but sometimes does things that seem to have only intentions of looking brave rather then being effective or wise.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I like how everyone is saying Holland will beat the Argies in the semis like Costa Rica doesn't even exist...

People are forgetting they finished top in the group of death, wouldn't count them out just yet.

Starryknight

Kompany has always been prone to a mistake or rash challenge throughout his career, he had the great season at City where you thought he ironed that from his game, but i guess that was an exception. He most llikely will always have that in him.

Still think he is a very good player and currently one of the best, though.

Pocho

Easy win, NEXT!! Everybody here was talking about an easy win for Belgium, good luck with that!!

ea385

I like how everyone is saying Holland will beat the Argies in the semis like Costa Rica doesn't even exist...

People are forgetting they finished top in the group of death, wouldn't count them out just yet.
There will be lots of tears here when the diving Dutch get sent packing. Hopefully the Costa Ricans can do it. It was good of their coach to make an issue of Robben before the match; he put the ref on notice.

Fellaini's Afro

Supports
Valencia
Kompany is a good defender but not a great one. Certainly not world class as hes never delivered in Europe (Actually struggled massively) or International. Lives of a reputation of one excellent season, his errors are ignored a bit like when Harts errors were often ignored.

DadiBG

Wilmots seems ridiculously unimaginative and predictable. Chadli ffs.
Had a look on Wikipedia, his managerial track-record is as follows:
8 games in charge of Schalke in 2003, winning 1, drawing 3, losing 4
Sint Truiden - 22 games in charge, winning 5, drawing 6, losing 11
Then he was assistant-coach to the Belgium NT for a bit and I'm assuming the previous head-coach died, otherwise I can't see how else anyone would have appointed this clown to be the head-manager o.0

Raoul

Admin
Staff
so he's hoping the Dutch haven't trained and have been out shagging loads of women instead? :lol:

That's the reason behind Douglas's shock victory.
Douglass also came into the bout with loads of personal adversity - his mother died recently and something else happened (can't recall now).

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
There will be lots of tears here when the diving Dutch get sent packing. Hopefully the Costa Ricans can do it. It was good of their coach to make an issue of Robben before the match; he put the ref on notice.
I'm with you on this one, hope the Costa Ricans can knock them out. Still haven't digested that 5-1 loss. :mad:

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
let me laugh at all of the clueless posters that in the first 7 pages of this thread said that this game was going to be a piece of cake for belgium

:lol: Congrats marcos! I'll be rooting for you from here on in.

Hope Di Maria and Aguero are fit for the semis.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Kompanys just very rash. He's got everything else to his game, strong, quick, good on the ball but he's overly aggressive sometimes dives in.
Agree with this, typically against the big players like Suarez, he likes to be aggressive and on the front foot which sometimes as a defender against those sort of players isn't always the best approach. However, Suarez himself said Kompany is the toughest player to currently play against. I do think Kompany is hugely underrated by a lot on here.

AllezLesDiables

It was terrible tactical planning from Wilmots and as soon as I saw the lineup this morning I knew Belgium was going to lose.

I would have rather seen a Witsel/Defour or Witsel/Dembele partnership. Lukaku should have been starting along with Mertens.

As for the game the tactics were all wrong.

Good news is that the team is young and there is loads of talent coming up that will displace some of the players on the team.

Tielemans, Malanda, and Musonda will make a big difference in the midfield.

Having a fit Benteke will also help Belgium immensely.

Wilmots needs to get his tactics sorted as Belgium looked as clueless as France did Yesterday.

Thankfully Euro qualifying starts in two months.

Mali_Zeus

let me laugh at all of the clueless posters that in the first 7 pages of this thread said that this game was going to be a piece of cake for belgium

Indeed.

Wimots saying Argentina is average and he would get slated in Belgium if he played like them. Yeah I guess you'll be celebrated by Belgian press for loosing against that average Argentina as you say. What a clown.

Last edited:

Ainu

It was terrible tactical planning from Wilmots and as soon as I saw the lineup this morning I knew Belgium was going to lose.

I would have rather seen a Witsel/Defour or Witsel/Dembele partnership. Lukaku should have been starting along with Mertens.

As for the game the tactics were all wrong.

Good news is that the team is young and there is loads of talent coming up that will displace some of the players on the team.

Tielemans, Malanda, and Musonda will make a big difference in the midfield.

Having a fit Benteke will also help Belgium immensely.

Wilmots needs to get his tactics sorted as Belgium looked as clueless as France did Yesterday.

Thankfully Euro qualifying starts in two months.
We don't have a team, just a group of individual players. It's like Wilmots never practices attacking routines or any sort of team play. I doubt he's the man to take us forward.

In any case, it was a poor game. We showed we have no business playing a World Cup semi-final. Maybe Argentina didn't show much themselves but it was still clear they're comfortably better than us. Disappointed we didn't show more this game, but not too fussed we're out. It's clear we're not ready to beat a decent side and we would've lost to anyone we'd face in the next rounds.

punpun

The best pass of this world cup.

Not to take anything away from it, but someone a little faster than Kompany would've intercepted that before it got to Di Maria. Maybe someone like Varane.

Pocho

Not to take anything away from it, but someone a little faster than Kompany would've intercepted that before it got to Di Maria. Maybe someone like Varane.
You can´t take anything away, but you tried.

Name Changed

weso26
There aren't too many defenders with the pace of Varane who could have cut it out.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
not to take anything away from your Auntie, but if she had bollocks she'd be your uncle.