Day 22: Brazil vs. Germany

heub

I think Brazil missing their best attacker and their best defender will be too much to overcome.
if germany dont win today, are you going to say they couldnt overcome missing their best attacker(reus), poacher(gomez), defender (badstuber), midfielder(gundogan) and bulldozers(benders) as well?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If Germany loses this, you gotta wonder if these German players will be mentally ruined and I wonder if they will ever win the World Cup or any major tournament again for that matter. They won't get a better chance to beat Brazil in Brazil with Silva and Neymar out. Brazil is really a mediocre team without these 2 players and it seems like the footballing God is on Germany's side now.

2002 WC: Runner-up
2006 WC: Third place
2010 WC: Third place

2008 EC: Runner-up
2012 EC: Third place

They are always nearly there but failed at the last hurdle. Kind of reminds me of Djokovic when he lost of 5 his last 6 Grand Slam final and I was so pleased for him when he won Wimbledon. Hoping Germany can do the same, beat Brazil tonight and go on to win the World Cup.
I wouldn't overrate the past in this case. Same thing was said about Bayern when they lost the CL final at home in 2012 after already losing the CL final in 2010. Those guys know how to win and clearly can turn painful losses into determination for the next round. Overall the team is incredibly young anyway, only Schweinsteiger, Klose, Lahm, Podolski and Mertesacker were alreadly part of the '06 and '08 teams. Hummels, Höwedes, Götze, Schürrle, Kramer and a few more are playing their first World Cup.

If you look at the past decades, Germany were always 'nearly there' unless we won. At most we went 2 consecutive tournaments (4 years) without making a final since the 60's and we've made semifinals on a regular basis.

1966 WC final
1972 Euro win
1974 WC win
1976 Euro final
1980 Euro win
1982 WC final
1986 WC final
1990 WC win
1992 Euro final
1996 Euro win
2002 WC final
2008 Euro final

If we lose today against Brazil, it's the first time in 4 decades that we didn't make a final in 3 consecutive tournaments, so it wouldn't be about being nearly there, it would simply be failure. It probably sounds insane for English fans, but making a semifinal is just the norm for Germany. We've made it to the semifinals in 12 out of the last 16 World Cups, the other 4 times we went out in the quarterfinals and it was always seen as a huge failure. Maybe the young generation of German fans feel different, but for me and for all of my friends, the tournament really starts today. Going through the 80's by losing 2 consecutive World Cup finals and then losing to Holland and watching them finally win a title in '88 was way more frustrating as overachieving with the worst generation of German players in the past decade. We're not nearly there, we're where we always are and try again and this time we have a mostly young team with a bright future.

louvega

if germany dont win today, are you going to say they couldnt overcome missing their best attacker(reus), poacher(gomez), defender (badstuber), midfielder(gundogan) and bulldozers(benders) as well?
Have those been playing in the worldcup so far?

heub

Have those been playing in the worldcup so far?
Would brazil be favourite against THAT german team with reus and gundogan, even with neymar and silva?

its useless to list injured players only of brazil. no team will play with the best squad tonight.

heub

here is germanys record vs hosts at major tournaments(since wembley 1966).

Games: 8
Wins: 8 ('72, ’76, ’82, ’86, ’92, ’96, ’02, ’08)

louvega

Would brazil be favourite against THAT german team with reus and gundogan, even with neymar and silva?

its useless to list injured players only of brazil. no team will play with the best squad tonight.
Who said anything of Brazil being favourite? What are you talking about? :lol:

Germany has been doing fine in the worldcup without any of those players while Brazil has relied on the ones they will be missing tonight. I want to see Luiz in defense without Silva next to him.

Token

Muller, Goetze and Ozil are all on the same level as Reus who is excellent but not a world beater like mos ton here seem to believe.
Klose is as good as poacher as Gomez and has an incredible WC record.
Schweinsteiger and Kroos are as good as Gundogan or the Benders, if not better.
Hummels is their best defender.

Silva and Neymar are the heart and soul of the Brasilian team as well as being by far their best players.

Eriksen

I don't know what to make of this one. Want the European teams to win, but then it is Germany.

Drifter

American
Hope Brazil can get over the loss of Silva, do that and they will be ok. 2-1 Brazil.

heub

Silva and Neymar are the heart and soul of the Brasilian team as well as being by far their best players.

So the problem of brazil isnt that their 2 best players are injured or suspended. The problem is that this team, representing 200m football loving people, is depending on 2 individuals.

hamad138

Götze is far behind Reus, Reus is too great for him. His WC performance is not worth talking

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
All this "we'll win it for Neymar" cr*p is starting to grate on me. Germans should take this and I hope we get a Germany v Holland final.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So the problem of brazil isnt that their 2 best players are injured or suspended. The problem is that this team, representing 200m football loving people, is depending on 2 individuals.
And yet a similar argument can be made about Germany, Europe´s most consistent powerhouse, which was carried by individual performances by three players (Neuer, Hummels and Müller). Yes, we lost our best in form attacker before the Cup, but I actually think that missing the head of the defense is a massive blow for any national team. I know, that I would be far less confident in Germany´s chances, if Hummels, who is our best field player so far, would be suspended.

Inspire

Supports
Bayern Munich
Muller, Goetze and Ozil are all on the same level as Reus who is excellent but not a world beater like mos ton here seem to believe.
Klose is as good as poacher as Gomez and has an incredible WC record.
Schweinsteiger and Kroos are as good as Gundogan or the Benders, if not better.
Hummels is their best defender.

Muller = Reus!
Reus in form is better than Özil & Götze yet
Klose is 36, cant play every game over 90/120 minutes.
Gündogan could offer something different to Schweinsteiger / Kroos
Badstuber was clearly Löw first choice defender before his injury

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
All this "we'll win it for Neymar" cr*p is starting to grate on me. Germans should take this and I hope we get a Germany v Holland final.
Me too. And the worst thing: If Brazil should lose, they will say it's just because Neymar was missing. So Germany can only lose today.

I think it's embarassing already how they handle it. Germany and other countries like Columbia and France could have started to cry too when they lost players like Reus, Falcao and Ribery. But they took it like real men, and will not use it as excuses.

Inspire

Supports
Bayern Munich
Me too. And the worst thing: If Brazil should lose, they will say it's just because Neymar was missing. So Germany can only lose today.

I think it's embarassing already how they handle it. Germany and other countrys like Columbia and France could have started to cry too when they lost players like Reus, Falcao and Ribery. But they took it like real men, and will not use it as excuses.
And what would you say when Lahm & Müller can't play today because of injuries?
I also hate this whining, but it's something different if it happens in the quarters or some weeks before the tournament starts.

OutlawGER

Supports
And what would you say when Lahm & Müller can't play today because of injuries?
I also hate this whining, but it's something different if it happens in the quarters or some weeks before the tournament starts.
I personally would cry, because 4 (!!!) and not only 1 or 2 keyplayers would be missing then together with Gündogan and Reus. And i rate Reus alone as high as Neymar and Lahm is even more crucial for us than both of them imo.

But the DFB would not cry like Brazil's foundation and officials.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

I think it's embarassing already how they handle it. Germany and other countries like Columbia and France could have started to cry too when they lost players like Reus, Falcao and Ribery. But they took it like real men, and will not use it as excuses.
Nonsense. If we win, we're in the fecking World Cup final and if we go on to win the title, no one will give a flying feck about Brazil's line-up in the semifinal anymore except the people in Brazil. If they lose, they have every right to tell a 'what could have been story', but that won't take anything away from our performance. Just like Ballack missing the World Cup final in 2002 doesn't take anything away from Brazil winning it. It's not the first time that top players missed a crucial game at the World Cup and it won't be the last time. If we go out, it'll be as bad as it would have been with Neymar and Silva in the team. There's really no difference for us.

Token

Not depending on, but they're obviously a far stronger team with them playing. The team unity and spirit will still be the same without Neymar and Silva, it's just a question of whether their replacements can emulate their performances or even close.

Muller = Reus!
Reus in form is better than Özil & Götze yet
Klose is 36, cant play every game over 90/120 minutes.
Gündogan could offer something different to Schweinsteiger / Kroos
Badstuber was clearly Löw first choice defender before his injury
Which brings me to this point. The gap in quality between Neymar and Silva's possible replacements is far greater than that between the likes of Reus and Muller/Goetze/Ozil or Gundogan and Bastian/Kroos etc.

Losing Neymar is a big blow but I think it's unfair to say the Brasilians will use this an excuse if they fail to win. If anything, the 'doing it for neymar' attitude is something to be applauded and will make them work even harder as a team and a unit tonight. Whether they have the quality in attack to beat the Germans without Neymar remains to be seen.

sammyvine

i want them out

probably the worst host nation of recent times with their moaning etc

redevil2

Wow. This deification of a 22 year old, who's done feck all, is a bit worrying.
The Brazilian fans know they can't win and use this to settle their nerves. They are obviously very worried and have absolutely no club how they can beat Germany

Ruht

Game's at 4am here, both teams better deliver some good football!

Going by how both teams have performed in their last 2 games I'd probably be better off not getting my hopes up.

pk05

This hyping up of neymar by the brazilian media is absurd and cringe worthy and the fans over there are lapping it up also lolzzz.What the hell is wrong with the fanz over there,wearing his mask and also the brazil NT saying that they will play for him.It is beyond stupid.What the hell has he done to achieve this sort of **** status,mind boggling.If i was in his place i would be dying of embarassment.

OutlawGER

Supports
biggest hype a player ever had.

and he's not even close to players like ronaldo, robben or messi.

backpass

I think this will be still a 50/50 game.
It doesn´t matter who is injured and what happened to the teams in the last 2 weeks.
At this stage, in the semifinals, it was nearly always a single error deciding the game and both Germany as well as Brazil are capable of producing it.

If you look into the semi finals of the last world cups you see that they were all close ones, even when you would have thought there is a clear favourite, the results were in 11 out of 12 times within 1 goal difference or less (penalties) and if you look at the only other one, the 0:2 of Germany in 2006 vs italy most will agree that this one could have gone either way aswell.

Worldcup semifinals since 1990:
2010:
Uruguay - Netherlands 2:3
Germany - Spain 0:1​
2006:
Germany - italy 0-2
Portugal - France 0-1​
2002:
Germany - South Korea 1:0
Brazil - Turkey 1:0​
1998:
Brazil - Netherlands 1-1 pen 4-2
France - Croatia 2-1​
Sweden - Brazil 0:1
Bulgaria - Italy 1:2​
Argentina - Italy 1:1 pen 4-3
Werst Germany - England 1:1 pen 4:3​

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't like Neymar (because of the hype), but considering the pressure on him in this tournament, he has done really well for his age.

Pagh Wraith

Confident that Brazil will win. They have good cover for Silva and the absense of Neymar allows Oscar to play more centrally and Fred might be able to fulfill his role as a striker better. Also the influence of the referee is a big factor. Brazil have been favoured all tournament and Rodriguez has a history of favouring South/Central American teams (also was in charge of Italy v Uruguay).

Scarecrow

Having a week off
This is a late game? Oh for feck's sake I thought it starts in an hour and have been looking for line-ups for the last 10 minutes. What a letdown. Sack Blatter.