Day 23: Netherlands vs. Argentina

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
OK dutchs, here's the deal, you win tomorrow so you deal with the germans next sunday

i don't want any excuses now, you were certain of winning against us, granted!

beating brazil for the third place doesnt seem that bad now

Empire

OK dutchs, here's the deal, you win tomorrow so you deal with the germans next sunday

i don't want any excuses now, you were certain of winning against us, granted!

beating brazil for the third place doesnt seem that bad now
Brazil will be out for revenge.

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
Argies are gonna messi up tomorrow so they can go double down on Brazil.

Empire

Seen a few Dutch fans saying they wouldn't mind going out tomorrow as they fear Germany in the final. Certainly would be hard for them to take.
Germany will be tough however the 5-3-2 will give them a slight chance, it could end up actually being competitive if they go into the game full of confidence.

The Germans play a high line so Robben will get in behind, all they need to do is defend for their lives and get balls over the top. (Easier said than done).

I'd like to see the dutch against Germany.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
If we win tomorrow I still fancy us against Germany even after their legendary match against Brazil.

But winning tomorrow is still an if. Can really go both ways.

saivet

Germany will be tough however the 5-3-2 will give them a slight chance, it could end up actually being competitive if they go into the game full of confidence.

The Germans play a high line so Robben will get in behind, all they need to do is defend for their lives and get balls over the top. (Easier said than done).

I'd like to see the dutch against Germany.
Yeah, tactically Scolari was so so naive. You have to give Germany credit but they made it a hell of a lot easier for them.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Agüero won't start tomorrow it seems. Sabella talked in his press conference about him being a bit better and that he's possibly ready to come on if the circumstances require it...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
All European final please!

Messi winning the World Cup in Brazil would be pretty cool though.
I'd rather see an Argentina vs. Brazil Third Place game... anything to give that pointless game a tiny bit of spice would be fine with me.

ChaosBee

After today the score predictor thing really has to give a choice of more than 5 goals for a team :/

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So looking forward to this game, so it'll clearly fail to live up to expectations. Don't mind who wins, but I really want to see a 3-2 or a high scoring game ending on penalties, just to make the hype and build up for the final spectacular.

imperi

Imagine Robben diving in extra time and winning the game that way, then calling it "the fall of god".

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Both playing for a chance to get steamrolled by ze Germans in the final (unfortunately)

The dream scenario is Messi now being decisive in the next two matches and lifting the world cup. They can get away without Di Maria tonight, but not on Sunday if they do make it

FromTheBench

This would be a big blow to the Dutch if these 3 are out or playing not fully fit.

WattsamataU

It's incorrect to call the Netherlands 'Holland', the title in the match day thread should be changed.

fbtv1907

I didnt deplore holland for 2 matches because players dont demonsrate their capabilities exactly but this viewpoint doesnt change holland's quality.Holland is a good team composed of 22 quality and special players indeed,so a lot of fans have high expectations especially as I a Man Utd fan ı believe holland win this cup but initially,they should increase their level

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
It's incorrect to call the Netherlands 'Holland', the title in the match day thread should be changed.
Sorry it stays as it is. I'm trying to wind up as many Dutch people as possible! ;)

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
3-1 Netherlands. Argentina have been lucky to make it this far (playing against fairly weak opposition in every round), no way their awful defence can cope with the likes of Robben and Depay.

Unlikely lad

3-1 Netherlands. Argentina have been lucky to make it this far (playing against fairly weak opposition in every round), no way their awful defence can cope with the likes of Robben and Depay.
You say that, but I was surprised at how comfortable they were at dealing with Belgium's attack. I really have no clue which way this game will go.

I think it might well all depend on who has the better game; Robben or Messi.

Tomassonl

Supports
AFC Ajax, Netherlands, Ireland
De Jong is the opposite of a loose cannon, he's a tough but very controlled player, unlike a Pepe for example who is want to lose his head. I thought he was the second most important player for Holland after Robben.

I doubt van Persie will miss the game but if he does then it's at least a position we have a lot of quality backup at.

I suspect the game will be a dour affair, like all of Argentina's games thus far, and many of Hollands. Hard to call a winner here. On one hand Robben has been better then Messi this tournament and it could come down to these two individuals, but I feel like Argentina's defense has been more steady then Holland's (neither has been great).

Hoping Holland can win it and then kick the Germans, literally and figuratively out in the finals.
I totally agree with you. De Jong kicks one Spanish guy in a final and now he is a criminal. It will be a difference of day and night for our defence if we play with or without De Jong.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Argentina have so far beaten Nigeria, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Iran, Switzerland, and Belgium.

The Dutch on the other hand have beaten Spain, Chile, Australia, Mexico and Costa Rica.

It'll be a tight game still, but Argentina haven't been particulary convincing, even against these mediocre competition. I reckon 1-1 full time with the Dutch winning in extra time or on pens.

Tomassonl

Supports
AFC Ajax, Netherlands, Ireland
You say that, but I was surprised at how comfortable they were at dealing with Belgium's attack. I really have no clue which way this game will go.

I think it might well all depend on who has the better game; Robben or Messi.
Belgium didn`t play that great tho, it seemed like they were already impressed with the fact that they got that far in the tournament. Netherlands has the balls to finish it off, unless they just have an offday like the game against Costa Rica.

saivet

I'm just imagining the reaction in England if Rooney missed an England game, because of a stomach bug :lol:

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm just imagining the reaction in England if Rooney missed an England game, because of a stomach bug :lol:
In Holland you can call in sick and the KNVB reschedules the match (and sends you a fruit basket)

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I want Netherlands to win, mainly for van Gaal (having a WC finalist as manager can only be a good thing for us), but i really don't know, i think it's just going to depend on form tonight of each team's attacking stars, could very easily go either way and is surely going to be a good match.