Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobski

Another set piece goal. How important are they in this world cup? The best teams left are the ones who are the most physically dominant in the air. None of the traditional possession teams like Germany and Spain have made it. It's all about counter attacking and physical presence.
Have to wonder if the threat of VAR has made it much more difficult to defend set pieces compared to the past. Not going to get away with the continued grappling that has been a mainstay of defending for years, players getting freer runs at the ball.

Not sure if it is entirely good for the game if it moves towards a set piece heavy game. Defenders and coaches will just have to adapt.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Croatia vs England suits me.

They are better than Russia, but we could do without the added pressure of the constant booing and whistling from the Russian home fans.

Jacob

Glad that Rashers and JLingz reached the WC final.

Yep, I meant the final.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Have to wonder if the threat of VAR has made it much more difficult to defend set pieces compared to the past. Not going to get away with the continued grappling that has been a mainstay of defending for years, players getting freer runs at the ball.

Not sure if it is entirely good for the game if it moves towards a set piece heavy game. Defenders and coaches will just have to adapt.
I disagree, it'll reward great crossing and heading ability rather than wrestling skills.

promisedlanchiao

You have to say if Russia can equalise now, they’ll probably win the penalty shootout as well. subasic being injured will be taken as a positive by them.