Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So when the VAR told the referee to check that incident, it was because they deemed it a red card. Ref checked and decided to give yellow. Fantastic from the ref, poor from VAR that was never a red card.
Nope. They checked if it was a possible red card, decided it was a subjective call, gave it to the referee to make up his own mind. VAR never deemed it a red card, just a possible enough red card to be worth reviewing.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
They look average as feck. Nothing special about them.
Not being about special anymore in International football to be honest. It's about playing as a unit and having a coherent plan.

Serbia are defensively organised, and they have a spark from Melinkovic-Savic. The only thing missing is a consistent goal scorer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's how it works. VAR team overall advises the ref to check as it's a potential situation, ultimate decision lies with the ref. Means someone or a majority of the team felt it could be a red.
VAR feeling it could be a red isn't the same as VAR deeming it a red, which is what @Arbitrium said. They deemed it a potential red.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Howard Webb said that was the directive.
Is Howard Webb in the VAR room? How could he possibly know their conversation.

That's how it works. VAR team overall advises the ref to check as it's a potential situation, ultimate decision lies with the ref. Means someone or a majority of the team felt it could be a red.
No it isn't. Every time there is a review it doesn't mean the VARs think it's a red. It means something has happened that the ref should check which is subjective. You can't just jump to the conclusion that the VARs think it's a red.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Low has the audacity to let Reus rot on the bench and play those two slow duds Draxler and Ozil instead. Reus is finally fit for one tournament and Low pushes him back in favor of his two darlings. :mad:

Now I know how those Martial and Sane fans feel:(

Plus seeing Plattenhardt on the team sheet makes my head hurt. He's so painfully average and absolutely useless. Foreign observers on the Caf call Hector average, but Hector is thrice the player Plattenhardt is. That is how weak that guy is.

I got a bad feeling about this...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Plattenhardt most interesting selection for me. Thought Hector would start.

Deleted member 101472

No it isn't. Every time there is a review it doesn't mean the VARs think it's a red. It means something has happened that the ref should check which is subjective. You can't just jump to the conclusion that the VARs think it's a red.
He’s one of the leading authorities on VAR in MLS and knows everything about it. His exact words were “Clearly (insert hard to pronounce name) the French VAR felt it was worthy of a recommendation for a red card”

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wrong. Someone at VAR deemed it a straight red. Then the ref overruled.
Not unless you know what the VAR said to the ref.

It getting referred to the referee doesn't automatically mean VAR think it's a red, that's explicitly not how the system works. It just means it's a possible red (a subjective call) the ref should look at.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Reus being benched is very sad, but I think Hector missing could be worse for DIE MANNSCHAFT.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Howard Webb was a big part of introducing it and part of the whole briefing on how itll be used I'm pretty sure. So he knows the protocol.
And yes, they check for potential incidents. If they see something they feel could be a red card, they tell the ref to look at the screen. If they dont see anything, they just play on (like they did for the scuffle incidentally, where they actually missed a clear red with the slap on Milovojevic from Costa Rica's #9).

limerickcitykid

He’s one of the leading authorities on VAR in MLS and knows everything about it. His exact words were “Clearly (insert hard to pronounce name) the French VAR felt it was worthy of a recommendation for a red card”
Worthy of a review. Which you've somehow changed to the deemed a red card.

Deleted member 101472

Not unless you know what the VAR said to the ref.

It getting referred to the referee doesn't automatically mean VAR think it's a red, that's explicitly not how the system works. It just means it's a possible red (a subjective call) the ref should look at.
No. The VAR felt it was possible, he felt it was. He deemed it a straight red which is where VAR is allowed to intervene. He looked at it, decided red card, referee decided it wasn’t.

limerickcitykid

Howard Webb was a big part of introducing it and part of the whole briefing on how itll be used I'm pretty sure. So he knows the protocol.
And yes, they check for potential incidents. If they see something they feel could be a red card, they tell the ref to look at the screen. If they dont see anything, they just play on (like they did for the scuffle incidentally, where they actually missed a clear red with the slap on Milovojevic from Costa Rica's #9).
Yes so none of that means the VAR deemed it a red and the on field overturned that.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Plattenhardt most interesting selection for me. Thought Hector would start.
Hector has a flu.

This team has a really low amount of goal threat and cutting edge for a supposed favourite. Lots of creators and combination players, very little acutal finishers. I suppose that happens if you send home your biggest talent and bench the most productive midfielder. A lot of pressure on Werner and Müller in this game.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I honestly believe that England will go above and beyond this time and progress from their group. Hell, I'll even stick my neck out here and predict that they will not lose on penalties in the first round of the knockout stage.
Bold prediction. Let's see how it works out. :p

Deleted member 101472

Are you? You're talking shite and jumping to conclusions by yourslef.
How am I?! I literally just watched a leading authority on VAR tell us exactly what happened and then told you.

the French VAR made a recommendation for a red card. Do you understand what that sentence means?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No. The VAR felt it was possible, he felt it was. He deemed it a straight red which is where VAR is allowed to intervene. He looked at it, decided red card, referee decided it wasn’t.
That makes zero sense.

The ref views the incident himself specifically in the case of subjective decisions, meaning VAR deemed this a subjective call. All you know is that that they thought it was subjectively a red card incident.

If what you were saying was true, the ref would only ever view incidents the VAR deemed red cards. Which removes the whole point of the ref viewing subjective incidents. If VAR actually decide it's a red card then they can tell the ref so without him having to view it at all.