Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
That Germany team looks pretty boring. Draxler and Ozil... :boring:

Chicharito, let's go!

marktan

Ozil despite his Arsenal form has always been a good performer for Germany so not a huge surprise he starts. Almost guaranteed Reus will come on early/mid way in second half.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
VAR said red card. Ref said no. That’s all I’ve said here.
Then you're wrong. The video ref doesn't decide things. They call possible red card and leaves it up to the ref to decide. Which is what happened.

Hausen

Mexico’s weakest link is its defense. Two of the original defenders out injured, so they got two random dudes from the mexican league. I’m going to sh*t my pants

extincti fugax hominum

Didn't Löw say he wasn't going to play Özil because he had an injury and he doesn't want to risk him against Mexico? Was gonna get Özil in my Fantasy World Cup team until saw that quote from him and now he picks him. Watch Özil score a hat-trick now. I swear all these managers trying to feck my Fantasy team up. Pep, Conte, Mourinho in FPL and now Löw joins the party.

Deleted member 101472

Then you're wrong. The video ref doesn't decide things. They call possible red card and leaves it up to the ref to decide. Which is what happened.
Yes the referee is free to call it as he says fit. But the directive from the VAR wasn’t “ it might be a red card you should check” it was “ it’s a red card. But the final decision is up to you”

That is how VAR works in these scenarios.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ozil despite his Arsenal form has always been a good performer for Germany so not a huge surprise he starts. Almost guaranteed Reus will come on early/mid way in second half.
I don't think Özil is the problem. He has earned his spot, he should enter the tournament as a starter. My problem is with Draxler, who is a good cog in a working machine, but not someone who can drive the team forward like Reus does, who gets involved in everything, can create, can score and deals well with pressure.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not being about special anymore in International football to be honest. It's about playing as a unit and having a coherent plan.

Serbia are defensively organised, and they have a spark from Melinkovic-Savic. The only thing missing is a consistent goal scorer.
I agree. They may have a plan and play as a unit but that won't be enough IMO. I actually think they'll be eliminated in the group stages. They won't win another game.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I agree. They may have a plan and play as a unit but that won't be enough IMO. I actually think they'll be eliminated in the group stages. They won't win another game.
Who are those mighty Swiss players to eliminate them from the group stages?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't think Özil is the problem. He has earned his spot, he should enter the tournament as a starter. My problem is with Draxler, who is a good cog in a working machine, but not someone who can drive the team forward like Reus does, who gets involved in everything, can create, can score and deals well with pressure.
Was it a surprise to people in Germany that Draxler was picked over Sane for example? That was bizarre to me.

Aboutreika18

I just wonder if Werner will be able to step up into the Klose role. He was so important in previous World Cups, scoring vital goals even when Germany weren't at their best.

Deleted member 101472

I just wonder if Werner will be able to step up into the Klose role. He was so important in previous World Cups, scoring vital goals even when Germany weren't at their best.
It’s still nuts that he is the all time world cup top scorer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Was it a surprise to people in Germany that Draxler was picked over Sane for example? That was bizarre to me.
Sane doesn't fit into Löw's approach and - probably also due to that fact - never really played well for DIE MANNSCHAFT. Him not making the squad at all was a surprise, but no one expected him to be starting matches or play a lot.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
özil is shit for years. He was one of the worst german players in the last WC, never mind that his club-form nose-dived after that as well.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Would absolutely love Mexican to win so I can start my revenge on my German friends

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Draxler was never in doubt. It was always between Sane and Brandt. At the last Euros, it was also between those two and Sane got the nod.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Klose looked his age at the '14 WC he only scored against Ghana and Brazil and Löw was trying to find other solutions for DIE MANNSCHAFT's #9, such as Müller.
It was only after Götze played himself out of the team and Podolski was Podolski against the US that Löw moved Müller back to his usual spot and started Klose who only played 60 minutes up until the QF.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sane doesn't fit into Löw's approach and - probably also due to that fact - never really played well for DIE MANNSCHAFT. Him not making the squad at all was a surprise, but no one expected him to be starting matches or play a lot.
Draxler was never in doubt. It was always between Sane and Brandt. At the last Euros, it was also between those two and Sane got the nod.
Fair enough. I've always been unimpressed by Draxler tbh.

Deleted member 101472

WTF?? they asked him who the favourites were other than Germany, can’t work out if he’s serious or not.

Charles Miller

Just hope Brazil and Germany dont end as second in those easy groups and avoid an absurdly unnecessary game in the round of 16.

Dante

Average bang
Why is Mexico not a footballing powerhouse? 123 million population, football mad and with a Latin American sporting culture. I've never quite understood why they're such also-rans.