Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

James Peril

Mexico are a dark horse. They play really well together and attack fast on the break. Germany had problems defending the whole 90 minutes and were dominated the first 45.
They aren’t a dark hourse, forget about it. One win doesn’t change anything, it’s the first match and anything can happen.

Fenomeno9

Didn’t spain lose its opener and won the tournament. Not ruling out any of the favorites until they are actually eliminated.

Eila

I think they've been flirting with doing something great for far too long, wouldn't surprise me if they reach semis this year as they've been losing close games in R16 for almost 14 years.
14 years
Try 24 years, since 1994. The only time Mexico got owned was in 2010. All the other matches were close.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Germany need to drop khedira, Ozil first and then maybe even Muller despite all hes done in the past. Or Draxler. Get a couple of midfielders around Kroos and Reus in there and play a proper 433. Cant do a 4231 with Kroos and Khedira as the midfield 2. Suicidal.

ChaddyP

A smaller country beating one of the favourites, it's great to see. It's a historic result for them even if it was the first group stage game.

mexico isnt really a small country they are huge veterans in the World cup and are expected tp reach the round of 16. The feck are they really crying for

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Germany defensively, think you can see one of the issues with Bayern steamrolling that league every year, never having to plan for the opposition, not expecting numbers to be committed forward against you. Mexico, with a better final ball/choice of pass, should have been scoring 4/5 there. Kimmich doesn't have to defend for Bayern, not sure he knows how to.
Yeah this result could be fantastic for England and make it possible for a much easier draw up to the semifinals

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
We are sorely missing a Schweinsteiger. DM should have been the first thing that Löw adressed, instead of just playing without it. Why not give Rudy or Goretzka a chance, instead of just piling on all our offensive players but gaining no control of the game whatsoever.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
14 years
Try 24 years, since 1994. The only time Mexico got owned was in 2010. All the other matches were close.
Damn. my brain skipped 10 years and though USA 94 was 14 years ago, not 24. Now I feel like 10 years have fallen on me in an instant.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It'll probably be one of those results forgotten once the tournament is over, like the Swiss beating Spain or Serbia beating Germany in 2010.

Mexico have had impressive results before at World Cups, like when they drew with Italy in 2002, pushed Portugal close in 2006, beat France in 2010 and pushed Brazil close in 2014.

Each time they lost in the round of 16.
Who cares what happened at previous WCs? This isn't the same team.

Treble

Deserved win for Mexico.

Germany were slow, insipid and uncharacteristically disorganised. Nothing is lost yet but there are problems both in defence and attack.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Time for some samba :drool:

Come on Brazil

Aboutreika18

We are sorely missing a Schweinsteiger. DM should have been the first thing that Löw adressed, instead of just playing without it. Why not give Rudy or Goretzka a chance, instead of just piling on all our offensive players but gaining no control of the game whatsoever.
Yeah, some of us were saying that the midfield setup doesn't look right on paper. In 2010, Spain dropped David Silva from the first XI after losing their first match against Switzerland.

I wonder who will the sacrificial lamb for Germany this time.

marktan

Yeah a serious structural issue in your team, when Ozil is back covering on the goal you conceded you know you have a problem. Need to drop one of the attackers and make it a 3 man in midfield with a DM alongside Kroos and Khedira against the better teams. Both of those like to join up in attack so there's really no need to have Muller, Ozil and Draxler all on at the same time.

Treble

Not sure Mexico will win vs Sweden and S. Korea. Germany made them look excellent.

Last edited:

Charles Miller

Brazil vs Germany in the next round? :drool:

Mexico were absolutely terrible at the final pass in those counters, so frustrating to watch. Especially Chicharito who had a great game otherwise.
Nah, we are going to win the two first games than keep an eye in what Germany is doing in the last round to avoid that.

el3mel

Brazil team looks pretty much a complete one. Paulinho and Casemiro as pivots with Neymar, Coutinho, Willian and Jesus upfront. Good GK in Alisson, nice defense and very good backs with the best offensive fullback around (Marcello).

They really should win this tournament.

marktan

Not sure Mexico will win vs Serbia and Costa Rica. Germany made them look excellent.
South Korea and Sweden. Both of those should play a tighter defense so could really hit Mexico on the break and sneak one. But not sure how good either of those two are at the moment.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just speaking from experience, don't expect too much from Mexico, as I have myself in the past.

They also had stronger teams in the past than this one.
I don't think saying someone is a dark horse is expecting much. It's saying it's a team that has the potential quality to go all the way but they aren't as likely as others.

Fauzan

Take nothing away from Mexico. They were the better side and went toe to toe with Germany and actually took the game to them. Aggressive, fast and sharp and for me should have won by a bigger margin as well. I wouldn't say Germany were horrible, rather Mexico were better and richly deserve their win.

What didn't suit Germany was playing a high line against a Mexican side which didn't boot up long on the turn. Their attackers were ready to receive a quick ball through the midfield on the break. Great win!

Canagel

Germany won't be in contention to win the world cup if they continue like that. The amount of times Mexico was getting in behind was not normal. 3 on 1, 3 on 2... if they had fresh legs to bring on they could've scored 3 or 4 really. Germany are too slow in defence.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Brazil's team looks well balanced and they're probably one of the few teams with strong FB's.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brazil team looks pretty much a complete one. Paulinho and Casemiro as pivots with Neymar, Coutinho, Willian and Jesus upfront. Good GK in Alisson, nice defense and very good backs with the best offensive fullback around (Marcello).

They really should win this tournament.
Got decent options on the bench like Douglas Costa and Firmino also.

Strongest and most balanced squad in tournament imo.