Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

el3mel

Got decent options on the bench like Douglas Costa and Firmino also.

Strongest and most balanced squad in tournament imo.
ِAnd if they want to defend, Fernandinho is also here. Looks like they have answers to everything.

Precaution

Brazil team looks pretty much a complete one. Paulinho and Casemiro as pivots with Neymar, Coutinho, Willian and Jesus upfront. Good GK in Alisson, nice defense and very good backs with the best offensive fullback around (Marcello).

They really should win this tournament.
Everytime i've seen Alisson he looks dodgy as feck.

Rory 7

Helmut Kole, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Boris Becker, Michael Schumacher, Steffi Graff, Angela Merkel, Angela Merkel...your boys took one hell of a beating!

Happy now? Apologies for any ‘offence’ caused with my attempt at fun earlier. Again. Well done Mexico.

Now bring on Brazil!

marktan

Brazil team looks pretty much a complete one. Paulinho and Casemiro as pivots with Neymar, Coutinho, Willian and Jesus upfront. Good GK in Alisson, nice defense and very good backs with the best offensive fullback around (Marcello).

They really should win this tournament.
Defensively so much better than last time around. Getting rid of David Luiz would've saved about 4 goals of that 7-1, and Dani Alves getting injured is a blessing in disguise as defensively he's very suspect nowadays and causes an imbalance when him and Marcelo play. Add to that the emergence of Casemiro and Alisson it's a lot better.

Much better options on the bench to this time in Douglas Costa, Firminho and Fernadinho.

Treble

Brazil have a better squad than Germany (Germany's front 3 wouldn't even make Brazil's squad) and a superstar in Neymar but Germany would have a good chance, imo. It would be a completely different game to Mexico, much more cautious in defence.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Next match is in Rostov-on-Don...probably one of my favorite city names. Also probably the name of an obscure Mad Men spin-off.

I.Am.The.Night

Germany is in serious trouble. Khedira has converted into a kind of attacking CM since he joined Juve. He's shit defensively nowadays. On the bench, Sebastian Rudy is the only midfielder who can defend well.

Shame, they should've called Weigl.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Helmut Kole, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Boris Becker, Michael Schumacher, Steffi Graff, Angela Merkel, Angela Merkel...your boys took one hell of a beating!

Happy now? Apologies for any ‘offence’ caused with my attempt at fun earlier. Again. Well done Mexico.

Now bring on Brazil!
He can't hear you.

Kearnkoff69

As an American, I know Mexico is supposed to be our hated rivals, but I really found myself rooting for them today. Great game, especially in the first half when El Tri showed more attacking intent. This has been a pretty good Cup so far.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It's smaller in football pedigree.

That's what he means.
I know, I know.

Still, they shouldn't get praised for historically being worse at football than they should be. i'm a little salty

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'd play Firmino. Can score goals too, and is much better at bringing other players in. Also better workrate.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Argentina, France and Germany all looking poor in their opening games - over to you, Neymar.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I remember, but this Spain team was still very dull in their path to the Cup though. They were lucky keeping all these 1-0 wins without conceding.
They were not lucky, they were better on all the games, biggest myth spread around, the other teams didn't had a chance to see the ball.

el3mel

They were not lucky, they were better on all the games, biggest myth spread around, the other teams didn't had a chance to see the ball.
They were efficient at keeping the ball and seeing the wins out without much issue, but they were still very dull and boring. That was the Tiki Taka at its worst and most unwatchable state, even if it was efficient. I enjoyed Spain in Euro 2008 more.

Treble

Spot on. Spain fully deserved to win.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yep, Jesus is overrated. Firmino does the work of both a striker and a #10.
Jesus has played very well since Tite threw him upfront away to Ecuador.

Firmino never really convinced for Brazil.

Canagel

I like Brazil and Tite, but not really keen on the idea of Ederson, Jesus or Firmino lifting the world cup.
And Neymar. Casemiro is another cnut and maybe the worst. Fernandinho is a dirty player. They are not a likable team at all.

Treble

Why is Jesus rated in Brazil higher than Firmino? Read he's treated like a superstar over there.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They were efficient at keeping the ball and seeing the wins out without much issue, but they were still very dull and boring. That was the Tiki Taka at its worst and most unwatchable state, even if it was efficient. I enjoyed Spain in Euro 2008 more.
For you, not for others, it was boring for the other teams because they didn't had enough quality to match them.

Fenomeno9

Why is Jesus rated higher in Brazil than Firmino? Read he's treated like a superstar over there.
Nothing to do with that. Under Tite, Jesus has been the far better performer and striker for the national team. Firmino hasn’t really convinced.