Status
Not open for further replies.

pk8819

Another linesmen mistake :lol:
Offside goal should have stood lol

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Another onside goal ruled out (though that was a tougher decision then some of the other ones we've seen)... and that was a terrible decision and pass from the Swiss bloke breaking forward.

ManniKaltz

Whoever said that Uruguay's shirts weren't tight enough - Switzerland's are! Some lads look like stuffed sausages. Or is it body painting rather than shirts? ;)

Mandingo

Hahhaha this world cup is the best by far. i hated the group stages with a passion and would never watch a game.. even this game (dull in comparison) pretty much topped the last world cups dross.

Dylan94

15 minutes to go. And it's anyone's game now. Hopefully we get a winner.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Offside because of interference with play, no? Easy clearance for the defender if Xhaka wasn't there and active. Or would he need to be in an offside position too?

Shaqiri is one of those frustrating as feck players. Has a tonne of ability but is far too selfish.

Darkziro

I find it hard to care about either team. In every match there has been a team I can be drawn to, whether it be a United player playing, manger, or just one or two good players. But, both teams here are atrocious in every way. (no offense fans of these teams)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The Swiss have ran 12k more almost. Surely will tire first then. On that basis I'm predicting a Ecuador winner.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Offside because of interference with play, no? Easy clearance for the defender if Xhaka wasn't there and active.

Shaqiri is one of those frustrating as feck players. Has a tonne of ability but is far too selfish.
So long as they guy dummying it doesn't touch it he can't be offside - it needs to be from when the ball is played, and he didn't play the ball.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So long as they guy dummying it doesn't touch it he can't be offside - it needs to be from when the ball is played, and he didn't play the ball.
Aye, Had a quick google and it says interfering with play can be someone who obstructs the defender without necessarily touching the ball. I assume it means they need to be in an offside position too though so it was the wrong decision in this case as Xhaka was onside.

Wasn't the easiest decision to make, would have helped to have video for that.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Had a quick google and it says interfering with play can be someone who obstructs the defender without necessarily touching the ball. I assume it means they need to be in an offside position too though so it was the wrong decision in this case as Xhaka was onside.

Wasn't the easiest decision to make, would have helped to have video for that.
Yeah it was a tough one for the linesman, certainly not the worst decision in the world... and wouldn't even enter a discussion for terrible decisions at this tournament!

Becknaldolencia

Antonio has been marked out of the game in the second half, there's clearly a plan for him and he's double marked all of this half.

Ainu

Offside because of interference with play, no? Easy clearance for the defender if Xhaka wasn't there and active. Or would he need to be in an offside position too?

Interfering with play only matters if you were offside the moment the pass was played. Xhaka wasn't so he could never be offside. The linesman thought he touched the ball which would've played the Swiss striker (didn't see who exactly) offside, but he never touched it so he wasn't offside either. Wrong decision, very clear from the replays.

Becknaldolencia

Yeah it was a tough one for the linesman, certainly not the worst decision in the world... and wouldn't even enter a discussion for terrible decisions at this tournament!
Selling a dummy is indeed interfering the play, no?
Edit: got it now, xhaka wasn't offside and the ref thought he touched the ball.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interfering with play only matters if you were offside the moment the pass was played. Xhaka wasn't so he could never be offside. The linesman thought he touched the ball which would've played the Swiss striker (didn't see who exactly) offside, but he never touched it so he wasn't offside either. Wrong decision, very clear from the replays.
Yep, my mistake when reading the rules, I read it as you could interfere with play (without touching it) when you were onside. Still a tough decision in real time.

Ainu

Yes, it is, but it's irrelevant in this case, as Xhaka wasn't offside. The point is the other player would've been offside if Xhaka had touched the ball, but he didn't. Are people taking the piss here because I can't understand how there's still so much confusion about the offside rule.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Nono, if he guy doing the dummy is offside himself then that is interfering with the play - but as he was onside then it should have stood.

When the guy passing it - both Swiss players or onside, when the first guy dummy's it, the striker is offside - but as he hasn't touched it, it is irrelevant, as you can only be offside from when the ball has been played.

Status
Not open for further replies.