Day 5: Germany vs. Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If the stuff about Ronaldo having his own suite separate from the team is true, then it serves them right. Panto villain stuff really. It makes the manager look weak and mentally undermines the rest of the team. Sillyness.
Don´t know if you are being serious Mockney but that´s not true at all. Players have all the same, individual, personalized suites

louvega

So what exactly did people expect from Ronaldo when he plays with a team of jokers with 10 men against a world class team... dribble through their whole team by himself? Score a 60 yarder?

Messi was just as selfish and rubbish with far better team mates against a nothing team.
Well, at least Messi managed to dribble half team by himself and score a goal, contribute to a victory and get motm and all that.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Missed the match. Found out the score though, and that Germany basically dominated them. Anyone got a link to the lineups.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't think that I have seen him dive in my life but if you can prove me wrong go for it. I'm not a Bayern fan by the way, so I'm not a Müller fan or something.
I´m not going to prove you wrong. It´s my perception and of others from what i´ve read in this thread (even germans).

Banana007

Would be quite ironic and funny if Messi won the World Cup to see Ronaldo fanboys do a complete U turn about needing to shine and win a World Cup to be on Pele and Maradona's level, since they have used that argument against Messi for years the only stick they have left to beat him with.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Well, at least Messi managed to dribble half team by himself and score a goal, contribute to a victory and get motm and all that.
Dribble half the team? Lawl.

He dribbled sideways and scored. He was worse rhan Ronaldo in all of his other actions, at least Ronaldo kept the ball a few times. He played with top players like Aguero and Di Maria against Bosnia. Ronaldo played with Almeida and Nani against Germany. With 10 men.

Lulz.

Lyricist

Does Low still not know what he's doing?
He did everything right today. Höwedes might be more limited than Durm offensively but was good defensively today and can be a threat at set pieces. Mertesacker did well. Boateng completely shut out Ronaldo.

But for me the most important thing is that Löw didn't start Podolski! :D Was VERY happy when I saw that Poldi, despite being a nice dude, wouldn't start. Every newspaper was reporting that he would, so it was even better for me as him starting came as a surprise.

It was a useful lineup for once and if he keeps that lineup or a similarly good one he's got my full support. The team had my full support anyway.

Banana007

He dribbled sideways and scored. He was worse rhan Ronaldo in all of his other actions, at least Ronaldo kept the ball a few times. He played with top players like Aguero and Di Maria against Bosnia. Ronaldo played with Almeida and Nani against Germany. With 10 men.

Lulz.

ZZZZZZZZ

familiar story, it must hurt :lol:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Missed the match. Found out the score though, and that Germany basically dominated them. Anyone got a link to the lineups.

Neuer
boateng - Mertesacker - Hummels (Mustafi) - höwedes
Khedira - Lahm
Özil (Schürrle)- Kroos - Götze
Müller

vs
Almeida (Eder)
Ronaldo ----------------------- Nani
Moutinho - Meireles
Veloso (Ricardo Costa)
Coentrao (Almeida A.) - Joao Pereira - Pepe (red) - Bruno Alves
Patricio

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
ZZZZZZZZ

familiar story, it must hurt :lol:
How good was Messi vs Germany a few years ago? And that playing with 11 men and top players... messi 'shining' (scored a goal and lost the ball the rest of the time with useless dribbling and crap passes) against Bosnia is about the same as Ronaldo shining against Ghana and USA.

Banana007

How good was Messi vs Germany a few years ago? And that playing with 11 men and top players... messi 'shining' (scored a goal and lost the ball the rest of the time with useless dribbling and crap passes) against Bosnia is about the same as Ronaldo shining against Ghana and USA.
Ronaldo will still have his moments to shine against Ghana and USA, imo.

I want him to because the best players should shine on the biggest show on earth (World Cup), especially with the hype and expectations on Ronaldo and Messi.

BordeauxMUFC

I think the Portuguese team were lazy and too dependent on Ronaldo, they kept passing him the ball (even when he wasn't in a good position) and didn't create anything on their own (except maybe Nani a little bit)

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Ronaldo will still have his moment to shine against Ghana and USA, imo.
Yep and Messi will still have his moments to fail against a top country and get on a plane back to Barcelona IMO...

Banana007

I think the Portuguese team were lazy and too dependent on Ronaldo, they kept passing him the ball (even when he wasn't in a good position) and didn't create anything on their own (except maybe Nani a little bit)
Catch 22 because if they never passed to him in those situations he'd get stroppy and start sulking.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well, then I can see why you're pissed off about the match.:lol:
To tell you the truth mate, i was more pissed when we lost 1-0 against you lot in the Euro2012 where we played better than you and wasted too many chances. Today we had a gutless performance from our players and classic stubborness by our manager Paulo Bento. Can´t complain about this match. I´m just resigned. Best we forget and move on to the next match (would be more optimistic if Coentrão didn´t get injured).

bastip92

Wow what an idiot. Why do players pull stunts like that at such a crucial time ?
I don't get it either. It's even much worse at a tournament like the world cup. He let his whole team down, not only for the match against Germany but for the next matches aswell.

steve9

He accidentally touched Muller, Muller was like "I'm dying", then Pepe went full retard and put his head onto Muller's head.
If you ever got a unexpected slap on your nose, you'd know that can hurt pretty much. Hence, I wouln't call his behaviour over the top.

And for the head to head: I would bet my life that EVERY Italian player would have died on the spot in the most dramatic fashion you've ever seen. Muller actually acted only one sec before he jumped up in anger. He is no actor.

sammyvine

Lulz.
why you making this a messi vs ronaldo thread?

is ronaldo's performance hurting you that much?

sammyvine

Yep and Messi will still have his moments to fail against a top country and get on a plane back to Barcelona IMO...
Ronaldo and Messi fans :lol:
Its a bit ironic you say that as Ronaldo is most likely to be knocked out first

bastip92

To tell you the truth mate, i was more pissed when we lost 1-0 against you lot in the Euro2012 where we played better than you and wasted too many chances. Today we had a gutless performance from our players and classic stubborness by our manager Paulo Bento. Can´t complain about this match. I´m just resigned. Best we forget and move on to the next match (would be more optimistic if Coentrão didn´t get injured).
To be fair you started well. Especially Nani was very good in the first few minutes. After that there was the penalty, Hummel's world class header and Pepe's brainfart.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
To be fair you started well. Especially Nani was very good in the first few minutes. After that there was the penalty, Hummel's world class header and Pepe's brainfart.
Yeah but in the end the 4-0 results stays for posterity. Portuguese supporters must put a thing in their heads, next times will be extremely hard because we don´t see standout talent (likes of Ronaldo, Figo, Rui Costa or Ricardo Carvalho caliber of players) coming up. The times of "golden generations" are coming to an end. Hope other clubs (besides Sporting) start contributing to that.

Someone

Something
Wow what an idiot. Why do players pull stunts like that at such a crucial time ?
Because they are irresponsible and stupid, it's one thing to be a hothead but he's just out of control, and then you have Meireles giving the ref 2 fingers and potentially getting banned as well, if i were the manager i'd send them both home on the first flight, at a big stage like this you need players you can count on.

bastip92

Yeah but in the end the 4-0 results stays for posterity. Portuguese supporters must put a thing in their heads, next times will be extremely hard because we don´t see standout talent (likes of Ronaldo, Figo, Rui Costa or Ricardo Carvalho caliber of players) coming up. The times of "golden generations" are coming to an end. Hope other clubs (besides Sporting) start contributing to that.
Ronaldo and Figo are/ have been exceptional players. But I think Portugal can still produce players like Carvalho or Deco. Nani and Quaresma were similarly talented but blew it.

bastip92

Because they are irresponsible and stupid, it's one thing to be a hothead but he's just out of control, and then you have Meireles giving the ref 2 fingers and potentially getting banned as well, if i were the manager i'd send them both home on the first flight, at a big stage like this you need players you can count on.
Watch the picture closely again. It's his index finger.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ronaldo and Figo are/ have been exceptional players. But I think Portugal can still produce players like Carvalho or Deco. Nani and Quaresma were similarly talented but blew it.
Perhaps but i´m not seeing them. Deco was brazilian although i give Porto the credit for his career guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.