Day 5: Hungary vs Portugal | France vs Germany

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Silly by Rudiger but absolutely impossible to see if he actually did bite him. He’s crazy enough to do it which is worrying. He got lucky as multiple replays made it hard to tell and VAR obviously didn’t think so.

The parachute guy is a clown too. What an idiot.

Pogba showing exactly how he would play if managed well. It’s obviously easier for him having Kante beside him but him and Kante are a force.
Undefeated so far together in something like 27 games.

Paul_Scholes18

France showing why they are the favorites still. Class performance from them without hitting the peaks they can. Nice to see Pogba doing well.

So far the team that impressed me the most are Belgium England and France. Looks like one of them will win it and they are the favorites before the tournament by bookies and most experts.

Still not sure if the likes of Spain, Netherlands or Germany can go far feels like they have too many flaws. Italy impressed, but it was against a weak Turkey. Portugal won near the end, but looks like they might struggle to create enough.

OverratedOpinion

It's weird how good Pogba is for teams that are not Man Utd.
Very often plays as well or better than this for Man Utd.

Unfortunately the loudest people are the United fans who hate him because of his agent and expecting him to be Roy of the Rovers for a number of pretty average teams in his time and pundits who absolutely hate him because hating him is an easy and acceptable way to get press coverage.

He has been very good and this is probably around his mean performance for United if you look at just his performance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just out of interest: I see that 5-1 quite often mentioned in English media and this forum, is that game something that is seen as an important result to be remembered in England?

My impression in Germany usually is that no one cares about that because everyone knows we were just aweful in those years and still got better results in the actual World Cup than England.
Is it mentioned that often? Genuine question. As an Englishman in England I don't feel like it is. Maybe a dozen years ago? When the media was trying to squeeze the last drops of 'golden generation' narrative out of the then-England squad. Apart from the pundits, who care mostly cos a lot of them played in it, I don't really see it spoken about. If we drew Germany in this tournament, sure they'd bring it up, as you bring up big wins against any opponent you play in knockouts. However, in reality nobody cares.

As for France, its underrated how well the French sit in and absorb pressure. At the World Cup against Belgium they did it magnificently. Mourinho and Simeone couldn't have done it better. Tonight they are also doing it pretty well. Deschamps gets criticism, a lot of it rightly. However, to construct a team of such solidity at international level is a fantastic achievement. Especially because international games are so often decided by a moment of quality or a mistake.

Nogbadthebad

It's weird how good Pogba is for teams that are not Man Utd.
He's done well for us when he doesn;t have to babysit fred or mctominay too to be honest.

Adding a Rice to replace matic and being brave with pogba and bruno further forward is where this squad is heading I should think.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yeah Kante's been great aside from that feck up when Kimpembe save his arse. Kante and Pogba are made for each other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He also has more time and space then he'd usually get in the PL. This game isn't exactly being played at high intensity.
Nah I wouldn't say that, it's an intense game and there's not a whole lot of time in midfield, he's just doing his moments but has better options to give it to (and Kante around him who is the best possible midfield partner to Pogba alive). And Benzema doing brilliantly to hold the ball up.

NoLogo

France need to get Mbappé more often against Hummels into a running duel. They can counter-attack now, wouldn't be surprised if France gets some counter attacking goals in the second half, especially considering how sloppy we (Germany) are often ate the ball.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He's done well for us when he doesn;t have to babysit fred or mctominay too to be honest.

Adding a Rice to replace matic and being brave with pogba and bruno further forward is where this squad is heading I should think.
Pogba's a great player but come on, babysitting McTominay and Fred? Quite often it's the exact opposite for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also people need to stop with the Pogba stuff. Pogba was class for most of this season for us, but definitely is used better in certain set ups. Makes a big difference when he isn't part of a double pivot next to only Fred or only McTominay, and he plays better for United when he's not in that position too.
Sometimes. He has lapses in concentration, but when he doesn’t, he’s had many good games in the centre of midfield for us, as recently as this season. He won our POTM before he was really moved to the left, for example.

Playing him in the pivot has risks, but those risks are luckily not always realised. And when they are not, he’s had many good games there. But I agree that the lowest risk is in a 3 (not that Rabiot has done anything at all tonight!).

edcunited1878

Mark Clattenberg is on analysis duty for ESPN in US...he sounds like an F1 spotter over the radio...box, box...box, box...yellow card confirmed, box, box

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
France need to get Mbappé more often against Hummels into a running duel. They can counter-attack now, wouldn't be surprised if France gets some counter attacking goals in the second half, especially considering how sloppy we (Germany) are often ate the ball.
Germany eating more than the ball in this first half. :p

Classical Mechanic

A far less talented Germany side but at least they've put the effort in. France have looked like they can't be arsed.
Look at the defending on France’s goal though, where did the right side of their defence go to? And then a terrible OG. They’ve transitioned the ball through pitch better than France but have been terrible where it counts. Second half should be better though as space opens up.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not been a very high quality game really. Both sides sloppy 0 shots on target for Germany and only 1 from France.
End of season tournament coming from a compressed season and usually the pace of international football is lower. Let’s face it, if one didn’t liked to watch his country no one would watch national teams to expect high quality games.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
This is such an underwhelming, odds and sods German team. Be surprised if they go far.
Most germans expected pretty much exactly this, except that we didn't concede as many chances off counters as I'd though.
This setup won't work against strong teams, there's nothing urgent and dangerous about it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe has to get a shot off in those situations against Hummels, well defended.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't know whether France deserves the lead or not, but Germany definitely didn't really do anything of note. Anytime people expect France to steamroll people, especially in the group stages, that's hardly ever going to happen, especially in a group like this. If it stays 1-0, I'm extremely happy and I think France is only going to grow during the tournament, the front three has minutes of experience together and Benzema is the new element in it that plays a huge part. There's nothing really surprising about it.
Very reminiscent of the first game of the World Cup vs. Australia for me. Tried to fit in the three best attackers but the team balance wasn't quite right, so they'll revert back to something less talented but more balanced for the next game. You just hope for a lot more with that front three's talent but things don't really work that way. Just not enough games in international football to click within 4-6 weeks of playing with each other.

Zoo

Havertz the invisible man so far. Surely Sane or someone else would be a better option.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Very reminiscent of the first game of the World Cup vs. Australia for me. Tried to fit in the three best attackers but the team balance wasn't quite right, so they'll revert back to something less talented but more balanced for the next game. You just hope for a lot more with that front three's talent but things don't really work that way. Just not enough games in international football to click within 4-6 weeks of playing with each other.
I think they had Ousmane in that game against Australia, no? The balance was definitely off, but I don't think Deschamps will move from the Mbappe-Benz-Grizmann front three, it is balanced IMO (at least compared to the one against Australia), just missing those game-time automatisms.