Day 5: Hungary vs Portugal | France vs Germany

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, he'd be perfect here, wouldn't he. Everything up until the final third has been really good for Germany. They've played some decent stuff.
Those kinds of debates are weird. If England had George Best from 66 onwards I'm sure they'd have pushed Brazil in 1970...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also people need to stop with the Pogba stuff. Pogba was class for most of this season for us, but definitely is used better in certain set ups. Makes a big difference when he isn't part of a double pivot next to only Fred or only McTominay, and he plays better for United when he's not in that position too.

A-man

Actually, I am really disappointed by them so far. One chance produced against a pretty bad German team. Until now that's not favorite material if you ask me.
Yes I also expected more. Two shots and only one decent chance created in 45 minutes.

Godfather

Also people need to stop with the Pogba stuff. Pogba was class for most of this season for us, but definitely is used better in certain set ups. Makes a big difference when he isn't part of a double pivot next to only Fred or only McTominay, and he plays better for United when he's not in that position too.
Bingo

Cloud7

Did Suarez really start a movement of biting other players as a new form of dark arts?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Frightening how quickly France win the ball back, exactly like Spain a decade ago.

Germany had their moments but France overall shown even to be the team to beat as expected.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't know whether France deserves the lead or not, but Germany definitely didn't really do anything of note. Anytime people expect France to steamroll people, especially in the group stages, that's hardly ever going to happen, especially in a group like this. If it stays 1-0, I'm extremely happy and I think France is only going to grow during the tournament, the front three has minutes of experience together and Benzema is the new element in it that plays a huge part. There's nothing really surprising about it.

tjb

I don't get what people expect from France, their play when on the ball is fantastic and defensively their solid, thays their identity in big games. Dunno why people are expecting them to fly. Their playing Germany, not a retirement home Croatia.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Baffled at the overlooking of Pogba's pass here
And the biting. And the basics of the modern pressing game. You can tell Vieira’s sitting there thinking wtf are these guys watching. That’s what you get when you choose “characters” as pundits I suppose.

laughtersassassin

People definitely equate all of Manchester United's failings to Pogba. Somehow forgetting it's a team sport.

We have lots of problems.

Our midfield partners being a major one. Neither McTominay or Fred are good enough to start week in week out for a top team.

Of the 3 teams Pogba has played for in his career we are the only one who blames him for out failings and seemingly "Can't fit him in"

For France they'd be a whole lot worse without him. Almost their entire creative output is though him. He dictates their play just like he did in the world cup.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Frightening how quickly France win the ball back, exactly like Spain a decade ago.

Germany had their moments but France overall shown even to be the team to beat as expected.
Didn't found them that impressive tbh. Ppgba was ace in a few situations though. That pass before Hummels' own goal was brillant

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Didn't rate Matuidi particularly highly but Rabiot seems a downgrade
Rabiot often slows the transition game down. Tolisso is made of glass unfortunately, but he's a better option IMO, moves the ball quicker.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Surely if Rudiger doesn't get punished for that then it's a 124522th proof for ueafa being bent.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Baffled at the overlooking of Pogba's pass here
I mean, is it actually? Most of his own supporters are reticent — I don’t expect more from a media that has spent his entire tenure back at the club against him to show some nuance for once.

laughtersassassin

Disciplined and covers for Kante pressing high, which is why Bruno/Pogba in front of a DM for us is still unlikely to work.
It would most likely work versus all the teams below the top 6.

Fred and DM or McT or a new DM would be creatively crap.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Silly by Rudiger but absolutely impossible to see if he actually did bite him. He’s crazy enough to do it which is worrying. He got lucky as multiple replays made it hard to tell and VAR obviously didn’t think so.

The parachute guy is a clown too. What an idiot.

Pogba showing exactly how he would play if managed well. It’s obviously easier for him having Kante beside him but him and Kante are a force.

tomaldinho1

Yes I also expected more. Two shots and only one decent chance created in 45 minutes.
This is how France play though - they aren't a free flowing attacking team. Look at their WC games, especially in the groups.

Withnail

He also has more time and space then he'd usually get in the PL. This game isn't exactly being played at high intensity.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feel like Pogbas been a lot better for us as well this season to be fair to him.