Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Quite a few people think we can win the World Cup…. I dont know why everyone is so positive. Our team really isnt that good.
Our defence isn't great but bags of quality in attack with 2 good CMs.

PoTMS

Really lazy from the Ecuador attacker to get back onside as otherwise it'd be 1-1.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The officiating at this World Cup is the worst in years.
Apart from the Canada/Belgium game (which was crap) I can only think of two "Big" wrong calls - Maguire non-pen / Ronaldo pen - and there are some people that think the Ronaldo one is a penalty.

What have been the other ones?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Harsh. The deflection meant the goalkeeper had no chance of getting to the ball regardless of the offside player.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I wouldn't say so.
They obviously have the protection of VAR but I don't think we've seen scandalous stuff
Apart from the pen in the Portugal/Ghana game, I think it's been quite a lot of getting the big things mostly right, but getting a lot of little things wrong.

Irwin99

Quite a few people think we can win the World Cup…. I dont know why everyone is so positive. Our team really isnt that good.
I thought you'd be a better team looking at the names, the back 5 is pretty good on a technical level and De Jong is supposed to be a world class midfielder. Would Depay coming in make a difference to the attack?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Apart from the pen in the Portugal/Ghana game, I think it's been quite a lot of getting the big things mostly right, but getting a lot of little things wrong.
The only bad one I remember was Maguires one. Outside of that I don't remember anything that is obviously wrong.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Correct. I suppose there are persons that prefer past WC where there were real refereeing scandals. Var has been fine bar Ronaldo pen.

Edit: Maguire pen as well forgot it

RedDevilRoshi

I wouldn't say so.
They obviously have the protection of VAR but I don't think we've seen scandalous stuff
The only three big calls I can remember them not getting right are the x2 Canada penalty shouts and Maguire’s one against Iran. Other than that it’s been decent so far tbf. Especially the Denmark-Tunisia one which the ref didn’t allow VAR to change his mind and stuck with his on-field decision which was the correct one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Correct. I suppose there are persons that prefer past WC where there were real refereeing scandals. Var has been fine bar Ronaldo pen.
Canada should have at least had one more penalty in my opnion, if not two, but other then that, Ronaldo and Maguire it's been fine.

the_cliff

The only three big calls I can remember them not getting right are the x2 Canada penalty shouts and Maguire’s one against Iran. Other than that it’s been decent so far tbf. Especially the Denmark-Tunisia one which the ref didn’t allow VAR to change his mind and stuck with his on-field decision which was the correct one.
Qatar should have had a pen today tbf.

glasgow 21

Apart from the Canada/Belgium game (which was crap) I can only think of two "Big" wrong calls - Maguire non-pen / Ronaldo pen - and there are some people that think the Ronaldo one is a penalty.

What have been the other ones?
L Martinez first offside goal is still up for debate as they never showed the Saudi left back in the decision

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Netherlands aren't winning this are they? At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from the messages (not watching)
Maybe they need to bring on Depay sooner than later

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Netherlands aren't winning this are they? At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from the messages (not watching)
He about to get sub in.

Smacky The Frog

it's the right decision but it felt wrong. refs don't care about feelings though (it's why they are so lonely).

the refereeing has been fine in this WC outside of the Portugal Ghana game. they've let teams be physical while mostly not letting things get out of control and most of the big decisions have been nailed.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Absolutely no way is rugby as big as football here. Think things are skewed by the fact that our football team is shite and our rugby team is great right now but on the occasions we do have a decent footie team in the major tournaments it's way more massive. GAA is the big problem, so many potentially quality footballers end up playing that instead because it's the main sport in all those counties. It's sacrilege for them to choose footie over it.
I spend a lot of time in Wales, my family are from there and I have a lot of Friends in and around Snowdonia. All of them to a man prefer rugby over football. They call football Wendyball so I always get a bit of shit when I bring the subject up.

RedDevilRoshi

Since the goal they’ve been 2nd best. Depay coming on now but I think a midfielder should be on as well. Just to try and regain control of that midfielder which Ecuador have been controlling.

the_cliff

It was more of a pen than Ronaldo's yesterday, but still not a pen...
True.

I'm more concerned with the motm awards, terrible choices, how KDB and Ronaldo won motm for their 2 performances I have no idea. It's like they're just giving it to the biggest names.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I spend a lot of time in Wales, my family are from there and I have a lot of Friends in and around Snowdonia. All of them to a man prefer rugby over football. They call football Wendyball so I always get a bit of shit when I bring the subject up.
Was talking about Ireland :)

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This system is much better. We won't have cases like Henry handball, the type of refereeing we saw in 2002 Korea matches, etc

Dazzmondo

Deserved again. Ecuador are a very good team. I can see why they finished 4th in the South American qualifying