Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
What Maguire really wanted to say:

I played great so get it right up the lot of you and all your so called superstars were dogshite

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
USA aren't bad. A bit scatter-brained in attack but composed enough in the first two thirds of the pitch. They should have enough for Iran.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I've never seen Saka have a bad game for England till today by the way. Shocking performance from England other than Shaw and Maguire, who were at least decent.
Thought Kane was decent also, but midfield and other forwards were not great. Too many misplaced passes.
When we pass the ball forward at pace, and have players 'running forward' we create chances, but it's so infrequent.
There appeared to be a bit of cockiness about England, not sure why, we've achieved nothing yet.
Thought Maguire and Shaw were the best players, then Grealish when he came on, they were scared to death of him.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Rice and Bellingham had poor performances. Offered no outlet to the defense, allowed so much pressure at the beginning of the second half.

Maguire was excellent. Kane had a good game, defended well and did well with whatever little of the ball he showed.

England will be through, but serious doubts about Southgate now. He absolutely should have changed the game earlier.
Kane and good performance? Hmm. They were all bad. Maguire looked good because everything was in the air and they never exploited his lack of pace. We will get ruined by a good team.

Yorke to Cole

I don't know how Karen Carney ( on the pitch side) said before the match started "England have as strong a bench as Brazil. " She is having a laugh Who is she trying to kid.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rice and Bellingham had poor performances. Offered no outlet to the defense, allowed so much pressure at the beginning of the second half.

Maguire was excellent. Kane had a good game, defended well and did well with whatever little of the ball he showed.

England will be through, but serious doubts about Southgate now. He absolutely should have changed the game earlier.
Neither of them is good enough with the ball at their feet to take the ball and turn a marker. It's crazy to hear £100m price tags for them when players like Gavi and Pedri exist. Talksport were trying to make the case for Rice being better than Casemiro earlier. Absolute delusion.

The truth is we don't have good midfielders. Our players are competent and physical. Rice has probably come along as much as he's going to. He's this generation's David Batty. Bellingham may evolve into a less good Paul Ince.

To play through midfield we are going to have to hope English academies produce more Paul Scholes'. Chance would be a fine thing.

As we have no technical midfielders we'd be better off copying pre Thiago Liverpool: Three workhorses in midfield, Trent and Shaw spamming crosses in and a high press from the top.

tjb

I've never seen Saka have a bad game for England till today by the way. Shocking performance from England other than Shaw and Maguire, who were at least decent.
Thought Saka was ok.
Similar to a United away game under Ole, the attack wasn't the issue.
The issue came in our build up.
Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham and Mount.
The coordination between them was the problem.
Against Iran, this wasn't the case as they sat back and didn't have the skill or composure to progress the ball up the pitch from such a deep position. So England's attackers were able to get the ball far easier.
In this game, the build up was slow, tepid and ineffective. The US were easily able to break it up.

One thing I will say from watching the tournament and more top teams is, the ability of your backline to keep the ball and move it quickly enough without hold up has become a far more prominent feature in the game. Doesn't mean they need to be good at progressing the ball, but they do need to be technically gifted enough to hold or keep the ball when necessary. Maguire nor Stones could do this today.
Add this to the fact that neither Bellingham, Declan Rice or Mount were willing to drop deep and provide an additional option to progress the ball meant that any progress England made was rare or came from Shaw.

Blaming Kane, Sterling or Saka is pretty worthless, since nothing they could have done would have improved the team in this game.

Smacky The Frog

Crap performance. How they went from smashing Iran 6-2 to that will be a great mystery. Maybe they believed the hype.
This is who they are. This is who they've always been under Southgate at the first sign of a competent team. Don't understand how one performance against Iran convinced anyone it was going to be any different.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Gareth really pleased. Thank god you have him. You could actually win something :lol:

Ananke

He’s just so negative. I hate it.

It’s always ‘how can we not lose’ never ‘how can we win’ with Southgate.

bosskeano

ffs...the way you guys talk it's like the US didn't even deserve to be on the same pitch as England, starting to sound like Liverpool supporters.

6 of hte US starting Xi play in England... Aaronson plays for Leeds off the bench and Reyna for Dortmund. We aren't mugs by any stretch.

Sylar

I knew Southgate would say it's a point gained and he's pleased etc zzz

Smacky The Frog

I've moaned about England, so let me get to the US fans - do you'll seriously not having anyone better than Zimmermann? You barely had to defend all game and it still looked like he was going to make a mistake any second.

Bobski

Roy is gold in situations like this and you can tell that the rest of them love it.

edcunited1878

US has a more dynamic midfield trio than anything England can trot out and it showed.

The disappointment for England is that they had zero creativity from their front players aside from the Mount chance at the end of the first half