Day 7: Spain vs. Chile

Nitsche

Even *if* Spain did win today, surely Casillas' form alone would be a massive problem if they did face another 'big' side?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I truly feel sorry for you amigo!
I do hate your team for having been up there for so long and for Barca having been at the very top, and Madrid now...but got respect for you as a poster.

That said, I can't believe Spain are doing this badly with that squad.
:) Cheers, buddy! Just a game after all.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Spain are just past their best now. And people over the past 4 years have almost forgotten how brilliant David Villa was in the 2010 World Cup especially at the start when Spain looked completely toothless. Diego Costa's not a patch on that.

...and Chelsea have just paid a kings ransom for him. They will be pulling out of that transfer.

FromTheBench

Who would you start instead?

Thiago and Jese are injured. He's dropped Xavi and Pique. Costa and Azpilicueta are new additions to the team.

Has nothing to do with the manager. The team has just lost motivation.
Thiago and Jese are hardly the first names that come to mind. They have ridiculous depth.

Koke to begin with for example and then get in some younger defenders too and drop Xavi, Pique etc..earlier who were coming off bad form.

Isco, Carvajal, Laporte and the likes didn't even make the 30 man squad. Their bench is full of 30 million players / or those who have had good seasons.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure what the big deal is, Costa & Senna chose Spain too. I just think it's a failure of the imagination to describe it as poaching when we're all free to choose, as did Xavi. He's never identified as Chilean anymore anyway, I've never even come across it in WC coverage thus far - although we'll probably read a bit about it by tomorrow
What is this? Xavi has been born on Terrasa (Spain) right and has lived all te time on Spain? Does he has any Chilean heritage or what?

RedStarUnited

Spain are just past their best now. And people over the past 4 years have almost forgotten how brilliant David Villa was in the 2010 World Cup especially at the start when Spain looked completely toothless. Diego Costa's not a patch on that.
Yup, all the way til the semi he kept coming up with the goods.

ManniKaltz

You can play Tiki Taka if you press aggressively from the front, stop the other side playing out and dominate the ball. Spain are doing none of those things.

The squad Del Bosque picked are too old to play the way he wants them to. It's like trying to play a high line with John Terry. If Del Bosque had picked Iturraspe, De Marcos, Herrera, Llorente, Morata, Carvajal...With young, energetic players Del Bosque could've played the way he wants to. But this squad? No way.
It shows how difficult it is to handle generation change. It's not that they are grandpas but overall, it looks as if they've lost power and determination. A blend of experienced players and some fresh new blood could do wonders to Spain - though I am really pleased that there's so little tiki taka at this WC yet.

Uniquim

Not sure what the big deal is, Costa & Senna chose Spain too. I just think it's a failure of the imagination to describe it as poaching when we're all free to choose, as did Xavi. He's never identified as Chilean anymore anyway, I've never even come across it in WC coverage thus far - although we'll probably read a bit about it by tomorrow
Don't forget about Di Stefano. Not sure what the story with him was, but he even played for Argentina, before he switched to Spain. Must have been going on for ages.

Moriarty

Wasn't Xavi a minor when he acquired Spanish nationality? That's the allegation at least.

El B

Who is the co-commentator on BBC? Sounds like Lawro sometimes but its not?

Bojan11

Can someone start a new thread with this Xavi and chile thing. It's worthy of discussion.

sammyvine

I am looking at Spain's bench with Cazorla, Koke, Mata and De Gea and thinking .... these guys could be doing so much more.
Carzola i mean really? He isn't better than Sllva or Iniesta and plays exactly the same way. Only reason people want Mata on is because he plays for United. Apart from fresh legs he is exactly the same type of player as Silva and Iniesta

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Costa should not be playing. Poor to play him.