Day 7: Spain vs. Chile

Mersault

Should VDB have taken Navas and Negredo to the WC?
Well, since they have strikers who are suited to counter-attack and direct play, probably. Or not play Costa and Torres and play Pedro as a false number 9. But their problems are also psychological - they don't seem particularly unified or willing to work for each other, like the actual team they are facing

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I don't think it's a question of motivation, just a failure to adapt/evolve since Euro 2012 and integrate the up & coming talents in Spain. Creativity is now limited to a couple of players and no consistent goalscorers have filled the void of Villa & Torres. I think Spain decided to ride their luck out with what has gotten them here for this long and while it's hard to fault them for that since they've dominated for so long, I'm not surprised there has been a lack of foresight

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Biggest joke is that Koke hasn't played a single minute yet.

Del Bosque needs to resign after the Australia game.

JefferiesTube

Who would you start instead?

Thiago and Jese are injured. He's dropped Xavi and Pique. Costa and Azpilicueta are new additions to the team.

Has nothing to do with the manager. The team has just lost motivation.
Should have dropped Casillas, Alba, Busquets, Xavi, Alonso. Those 5 players did not deserve to start. Bosque just picked a squad based on reputation and made no consideration for anything else. After getting humiliated by Netherlands he still changed nothing.

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
Casillas' missus said if Spain get knocked out in the group stages she'll do the post match interview naked.....happy days
No wonder he was was about to have a nervous breakdown after the 2nd goal

Lyricist

I feel fecking sick, I really do. Bunch of overpaid prima donnas. Best squad in the world cup?! You have to be fecking kidding me.
I truly feel sorry for you amigo!
I do hate your team for having been up there for so long and for Barca having been at the very top, and Madrid now...but got respect for you as a poster.

That said, I can't believe Spain are doing this badly with that squad.

Dylan94

True, but then again Spain got outplayed by the United States (!) at the 2009 Confed Cup, so I have learned not to take that tournament seriously. Still pretty shocking to me, especially after seeing the spanish teams dominate Europe this season.
Yeah you have a point too. I'm still surprised at how bad they've been so far just not amazed that's all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Delighted with the result and the performance of Chile. I hoped from the beginning that Spain won't pass the groups and it seems that will happen.

A squad that has so many players that can win games on their own, but somehow has decided that is is more important to not let the opponent play, rather than play good for itself. Aragonez team was a joy to watch, Del Bosque's teams is painful to watch.

Not starting De Gea - who has been one of the best keeper on the world on the last 2 years and is better than Casillas in absolutely everything - instead of crappy Casillas is criminal. There have been 3-4 goals already on this tournament that have been Casillas fault. Not starting Koke who is currently the best Spanish midfielder is also really stupid. Why on Earth he still continues playing the double pivot when he has so many players that are better upfront and balance the team. And finally, Mata is the best of all their midfielders when it comes to scoring but he doesn't get a game. Instead plays Silva who while a great player (likely better than Mata) doesn't offer as much attacking wise.

Hope they concede another few goals.

Skills

Snitch
Spain are just past their best now. And people over the past 4 years have almost forgotten how brilliant David Villa was in the 2010 World Cup especially at the start when Spain looked completely toothless. Diego Costa's not a patch on that.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Twinkle, twinkle Casillas,
Fecking useless on the grass.
Pedro cannot bloody pass,
Alonso fell on his ass.
Twinkle, twinkle, Spain are shit,
Tika taka twatting tits.
:lol: Put Alonso fell on his fecking ass, flows better :p

Dylan94

:lol::lol: Gary got told to show his phone in case we don't know what one looks like!

Moriarty

In a way it's a shame both Chile and Holland will already have qualified by the time they meet. It would have been interesting to see them both go at it. Now it's likely both will rest players and prepare for the next round.
Probably so, but maybe Spain will show something in the 2nd half. I'm not optimistic though.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Back on Xavi.. anyone find anything on that?
Read "la verdad detrás de barcelona" by Estrella Flores-Carretero. About a chapter or so on the whole affair in there. Great book too.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Did you not witness Madrid's form during his injury and their results after he was inserted back in? He had a very good season and was exceptional against Bayern in particular.
I seen pretty much every game, this isn't about whether I seen their performances with and without him.

It's about narrative, when he puts in underwhelming performances nothing is said, when other Spanish midfielders put in the same level of quality they're finished, done, lost their legs. He had some good games but played awfully in many others - it's no surprise that teams keep putting a man on him these days. So easy to take him out of the game because he can't cope with being pressed.

Raul Madrid

Total football ;) . Playing deep is not a sign of respect it is more of a counter play, like Mourinho against the scousers, it is about countering the other teams play and if playing defensive with counters does that, that's what must be done. Paraguay had as many chances as Spain back then and could of won the match despite the possession stat. At euro 12 I saw some teams mainly France play with fear however, sit back but not counter and I think this help extend Spain's rein of terror. Now that fear is done, combined with Xavi being finished means no more tika taka.
I don't think tiki taka or any style will ever truly die, unless the rules change (like the backpass or the offside rules where changed before) to make it impossible or pointless to use. the style will probably be reinvented like all styles are. It is not like spain played the exact same way in 2008, 2010 and 2012. There were differences even though possession was what they were mainly based on. I also wouldn't call what Holland are doing total football although I know you were being tongue in cheek.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Well, FM actually uses real scouts and real data so I'll trust their information more than most. And I was unaware of him having Chilean nationality like many in this thread until I came across it on FM.

Just saying, Barcelona/Spain are disgraceful. No doubt @FCBarca and his cronies are going to chime in and defend this absolute disgrace of an act.
Not sure what the big deal is, Costa & Senna chose Spain too. I just think it's a failure of the imagination to describe it as poaching when we're all free to choose, as did Xavi. He's never identified as Chilean anymore anyway, I've never even come across it in WC coverage thus far - although we'll probably read a bit about it by tomorrow

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Koke coming on finally. Del Bosque should have gone with the youth at the start of the tourny but now I fear it's too late.

MarcRed96

Koke time! Seems like a good change, Alonso was atrocious in the first half.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
That's what you get for choosing on reputation instead of merit.

Srpiniata

To be honest, i find pretty unfair all the hate casillas is getting, when if you look at it only the third goal against holland is totally his fault. Spain has no defense at all. Also for those saying that hes living of past glory... didnt he just broke his own record of minutes whitout goal in Real Madrid? If you even watched any of his games besides the final you would see that hes still a pretty good kepeer.

De Gea will eventually be Spains #1, but lets not forget that he has also commited some childish mistakes, and the presure of playing for Spain at the World Cup after that first game could've been too much, in four years he will be there. On the other hand im not really sure why Reina is even on that squad, maybe hes the clown of the group?

Okocha119

Koke for Xabi - that's how it should have been an the start of the game ...

Another coach correcting a mistake he made in the starting line-up.