Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I can imagine a silly goal throughout the tournament because of those constant back passes to Unai Simón.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
England have the players to play this way, but not the manager. Even your bench players like Maddison and Foden could easily play this style of football but you guys have a Stone age manager.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
England have the players to play this way, but not the manager. Even your bench players like Maddison and Foden could easily play this style of football but you guys have a Stone age manager.
I don't think England fans are unaware. Makes it all the more frustrating

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If I were Enrique my final words to Morata would be "Don't be a fanny"

MiceOnMeth

Morata on.. feels like there is real lack of quality number 9s in world football judging by this world cup

Rightnr

Thank God Spain have a ball-playing goalkeeper

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is Simon meant to be good with his feet? He’s constantly getting them into trouble.

Dazzmondo

Great save but Simon put himself in danger with a poor pass. Germany pressing well. Spain allergic to kicking it long

Telsim

I mean, he's clearly offside. Clearly. Imagine he's standing next to a defender. Even just being "a shoulder offside" will give him the complete advantage for shielding that space in the box from the defender and for attacking a cross that he'll then get to first. Situations like this have to be offside and clearly are offside. It's not marginal in this situation either. This one would've been called even before VAR.
That's a defender issue. I just think players should be allowed to 'brawl' more in situations like this and be allowed some leniency regarding offside for the sake of spectacle and fun. Offside should just be feet. If you manage to get into a better position and play the ball off head or shoulder or whatever then more power to you.

As someone else said, offside was created to prevent strolling around behind the defence and just pinging balls there, not for cm advantages.

Dazzmondo

Morata on.. feels like there is real lack of quality number 9s in world football judging by this world cup
There definitely is and that was clear even before the World Cup. I wonder if it's down to top teams demanding much more from their forwards now than just goals. There seem to be very few who can offer that but still have the movement and predatory finishing of a lethal striker.

Rightnr

Who was that German player crossing to their reserves?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Hasn’t turned into a particularly great game. Could have done with that early Olmo shot going in.

Shai-Hulud

Yep... and judging by the transfer market you get the same feeling. There's like 5 great strikers in the world and a thousand mediocrities.