Day 8: Japan vs. Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Plow

Rumours that Fernando Santos is planning to make 6 changes for Greece. I hope so but don't hold out any hope. The man's absolutely clueless. He took of our best attacking player Kone the other day when we were 2-0 down and brought on a DM. Then there's the decision to play Gekas, a player who shouldn't even be in the squad, over Mitroglou who is by far our best player. I expect Japan to win 3-0.

Ruht

Must win for Japan this. They need to go for it from the off, no other way around it. I suspect Greece are going to play very defensive and rely on the counter to hurt Japan. I don't know about the quality of this Greece team but Japan's forwards should be able to score a few.

Don't see them making any changes from the last match, they should start with the same lineup I guess. Going to go with 2:0 Japan.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
After watching the previous 90 minutes for both these sides, here's my tactical conclusions for the game ahead.

Both teams must play better.

LetMeRollIt

After watching the previous 90 minutes for both these sides, here's my tactical conclusions for the game ahead.

:D:D:D

I assume Greece would try to play the aerial game for their advantage.

Osako and Kagawa were terrible in the last game. Osako will be replaced but Kagawa will probably start.

I hear there's a good chance it will rain again, which is generally to the advantage to the team with more physicality. Kagawa and Japan need to show they can play in such conditions or they might as well give up altogether.

Mad Winger

This is a better game for Japan than the Ivory Coast game. Japan tend to do well against A) teams with a deep defense line and B) technical teams that try to play football. Greece belongs definitely belongs to the former category.

Unfortunately for Japan, Greece also lost their first game, so they have to attack, and they'll use their superior physique to do so. Just like the Ivory Coast game, it's completely open. I expect this game to be more entertaining though. It's a clash of two completely different styles, and both teams have to win.

YzWayne

Best analysis so far, must be tough on you to concentrate fully for 180 mins to come up with the conclusions. I couldn't have done any better.:lol:

LetMeRollIt

The only WC match i'm planning on missing (haircut time).
We must have really bored you with the first game. :D

Actually NWSL's Seattle has a game at this time which I'd watch if it weren't for this WC game.

Ruht

The only WC match i'm planning on missing (haircut time).
For shame, going to the barber whilst there is a game on. What an awful thing to do.

This game has an awful timing though. 6am my time, ridiculous :(

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For shame, going to the barber whilst there is a game on. What an awful thing to do.

This game has an awful timing though. 6am my time, ridiculous :(
If its any consolation, the game will almost surely be on at the barbers. I'm sure Japan will win and the thought of watching the Greeks again wasn't particularly appealing.

Ruht

Watching Greece doesn't fill me with excitement either, can't lie. Hopefully it won't be a boring match, but it wouldn't surprise me knowing the Greeks.

Well, Japan have the quality and should win this one. No excuses, they should go for it.

Walters_19_MuFc

This is a better game for Japan than the Ivory Coast game. Japan tend to do well against A) teams with a deep defense line and B) technical teams that try to play football. Greece belongs definitely belongs to the former category.

Unfortunately for Japan, Greece also lost their first game, so they have to attack, and they'll use their superior physique to do so. Just like the Ivory Coast game, it's completely open. I expect this game to be more entertaining though. It's a clash of two completely different styles, and both teams have to win.
I'm a big fan of Japan. I love the way they play, but are you insinuating that Ivory Coast didn't try and play football, because from what I saw, Ivory Coast bossed the game?

23rd

The first game vs Ivory Coast proved that Japan still a coward against physical team, i dont know if its was Zac tactics or not..but they are too affraid to play their own style

For this game, i wish Japan played their football that they really enjoyed

At least, i hope Japan will be the first Asia Country to win in this World Cup

Mad Winger

are you insinuating that Ivory Coast didn't try and play football, because from what I saw, Ivory Coast bossed the game?
No, that's why I wrote tend to. I think if Japan and Ivory Coast played 10 games, Japan would definitely leave as the victor.

Japan chose a horrible approach to that game. They tried to defend their lead, which they suck at. They're not good at defending, nor attacking from deep into their own half, so that tactic was bound to fail. I'll never understand why they did that, and I hope it's not gonna come back and haunt them.

Walters_19_MuFc

No, that's why I wrote tend to. I think if Japan and Ivory Coast played 10 games, Japan would definitely leave as the victor.

Japan chose a horrible approach to that game. They tried to defend their lead, which they suck at. They're not good at defending, nor attacking from deep into their own half, so that tactic was bound to fail. I'll never understand why they did that, and I hope it's not gonna come back and haunt them.
Ok.

I agree with everything you say. I was so disappointed when they defended deep, when they've constantly proved that when they press high up the pitch, they can cause any team a problem. I'm sure their approach will change against Greece tonight, like you mentioned. Just hope they can get out of the group, but with Japan needing to probably win their next two games, they'll have to press, which will probably play into the hands of a counter attacking Colombia side.

Winrar

Greece aren't all that; Japan should dominate and win comfortably, at least on paper.

Razvan

Japan: Kawashima, Uchida, Honda, Nagatomo, Okazaki, Okubo, Konno, Yamaguchi, Hasebe (c), Osako, Yoshida
Greece: Karnezis, Maniatis, Manolas, Samaras, Kone, Mitroglou, Torosidis, Fetfazidis, Sokratis, Cholevas, Katsouranis (c)

kiwired

I want Ivory Coast to qualify so whatever helps that is what I want to happen in this game. Probably a draw then

Mad Winger

Kagawa was crap last game, but he wasn't worse than the rest of Japan. He's pretty much been untouchable for 4 years now, and he was Japan's best player overall in the friendlies before the WC. I highly doubt he would be benched now, unless he's gotten a small knock. It wouldn't make any sense.

AkaAkuma

The greek coach has said that Japan play like a computer game, if you stop one part of the system, you break the game. For that reason, Okubo makes sense. He's looked a livewire in the friendly games.

FromTheBench

The greek coach has said that Japan play like a computer game, if you stop one part of the system, you break the game. For that reason, Okubo makes sense. He's looked a livewire in the friendly games.
Japan seem pretty clear that Honda is better player centrally than Kagawa ? Is he ?

Dylan94

This has the potential to be a huge borefest with a 0-0 draw result. But hopefully, I'm wrong and we'll get a good game. I'll be watching regardless so it doesn't really matter anyway for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.