Day 9: Switzerland vs. France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantonarightboot

No interest in this one?

Going to be a very close game I feel, I was hoping for better from Switzerland in the opener... 2-1 France I think or 1-1.

Juansar_07

It's going to be an exciting game....with France lukin a touch better than Swiss.

I am still expecting a Draw in this One!!!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
France by a few in my opinion. They will want to wrap up first spot in this one.

ManniKaltz

Seems as if opinions are aligned on this match. :D Expect a draw (1-1 or 2-2) or a tight win (2-1 or 1-2).

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Definitely give the edge to Les Bleus atm due to form from the first match. Hitzfeld is conservative and with both sides on 3 pts you'd think the gutless approach of playing for the draw would prevail from him so we'll see

It's a big rivalry as rivalries go in this country so it will be a spirited encounter...Hopp Suisse!

ManniKaltz

Definitely give the edge to Les Bleus atm due to form from the first match. Hitzfeld is conservative and with both sides on 3 pts you'd think the gutless approach of playing for the draw would prevail from him so we'll see

It's a big rivalry as rivalries go in this country so it will be a spirited encounter...Hopp Suisse!
Hm. Of course France won comfortably but Honduras didn't seem to be a tough opponent. Switzerland OTOH started rather poorly but turned the game around; I expect them to have gotten a boost of self-esteem from that experience.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I just meant in terms of effort & performance. Generally speaking, I like Suisse in this encounter but I was shocked by how poor they looked for long stretches against Ecuador - it was inexplicable to me

But definitely, winning at the end like that is an emotional boost in sport that can really lift a team. I just hope Hitzfeld shows some brass

Zak Smith

Really looking forward to this, thought France were superb in the first game - one of the best performances I've seen so far, absolutely dominant.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
France's first real test. Beating a ten men Honduras (probably the worst team in the competition) isn't much of an achievement.

Hans Wurst

Will be interesting to see how Hitzfeld reacts to the abysmal performance against Ecuador. I guess Djourou is likely to get another start alongside Von Bergen. Hopefully he'll start Mehmedi, preferably behind the striker, instead of Xhaka, but I think he will move him out on the wing, instead of Stocker (who was equally bad as Xhaka vs Ecuador, I just think Xhaka is influencing our overall performance more as he is playing centrally and most of our play should go through him at some point and when he has a bad day, he's breaking down all our moves).

At the top he'll most certainly give Drmic another chance, he didn't play well against Ecuador, but no striker would without any kind of support, so I think Drmic will start with Seferovic as a super-sub.

Hopefully we'll be able to grind out a point (or 3 :drool:), but I guess in the end the french will be just a tiny bit too strong, so my realistic prediction is France 1-0 Switzerland. The little boy inside me though is saying France 1-2 Switzerland :devil:

hentanize

France were all over Honduras even before the red card. Swiss on the other hand have failed to impress against equador.

3-1 to France

NoPace

Will be interesting to see how Hitzfeld reacts to the abysmal performance against Ecuador. I guess Djourou is likely to get another start alongside Von Bergen. Hopefully he'll start Mehmedi, preferably behind the striker, instead of Xhaka, but I think he will move him out on the wing, instead of Stocker (who was equally bad as Xhaka vs Ecuador, I just think Xhaka is influencing our overall performance more as he is playing centrally and most of our play should go through him at some point and when he has a bad day, he's breaking down all our moves).

At the top he'll most certainly give Drmic another chance, he didn't play well against Ecuador, but no striker would without any kind of support, so I think Drmic will start with Seferovic as a super-sub.

Hopefully we'll be able to grind out a point (or 3 :drool:), but I guess in the end the french will be just a tiny bit too strong, so my realistic prediction is France 1-0 Switzerland. The little boy inside me though is saying France 1-2 Switzerland :devil:
Mehmedi looked very lively, yeah. I know it would probably be horrid to watch, but surely the familiarity between the 3 Napoli players might make this worth a shot against superior opposition at some point:

--------------------------Drmic-------
Mehmedi or Stocker-----------------Shaqiri---
-------------Dzemail----Inler----Behrami-----

with Rodriguez and Lichsteiner playing extremely high up the pitch with that extra DM to cover them.

Ruht

Robin Bairner ‏@RBairner 4m
Deschamps to start with Benzema & Giroud v Switzerland, with Griezmann out. #Pogba will be rested with Sissoko set to start. (L'Equipe)
Odd for Pogba to be benched for this one, quite possibly Deschamps sending a message to him to act more maturely. Hasn't been impressed with him lashing out against Palacios I take it.

Oh well, at least I won't feel bad now that I won't watch this one.

Hans Wurst

Mehmedi looked very lively, yeah. I know it would probably be horrid to watch, but surely the familiarity between the 3 Napoli players might make this worth a shot against superior opposition at some point:

--------------------------Drmic-------
Mehmedi or Stocker-----------------Shaqiri---
-------------Dzemail----Inler----Behrami-----

with Rodriguez and Lichsteiner playing extremely high up the pitch with that extra DM to cover them.
Very interesting lineup, at least on paper, I'm not sure how well it would work as it is a really defensive and slow setup. Also the three Napoli midfielders are known rather for their defensive capabilities and workrate than for their creativity, so I think we would really struggle to create chances up top for Drmic who would cast kind of a lonely figure.

As you say though, I think we could use this formation with some success against the stronger sides (ie France) to park the bus, be tight defensively and make it hard for them (:D).

NoPace

Odd for Pogba to be benched for this one, quite possibly Deschamps sending a message to him to act more maturely. Hasn't been impressed with him lashing out against Palacios I take it.

Oh well, at least I won't feel bad now that I won't watch this one.
I didn`t think of this, but I have no issue with that at all. Pogba was really lucky not to have been sent off, and if they had drawn or lost to Honduras, they`d be facing elimination against a tough Swiss side.

NoPace

Evra-Benzema on the left is trouble defensively. I don`t have assist betting on my site, but I love Lichtsteiner to get one today.

Dylan94

This could be a very interesting game. Switzerland will need to improve on their last performance but we can't tell much from France's first game either given that it was against Honduras.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sissoko, Cabaye and Matuidi in midfield is very workmanlike and Valbeuna isn't good enough to be the sole creative force so I'd give Switzerland a fair chance here.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
France: Lloris – Evra, Sakho, Varane, Debuchy – Cabaye, Matuidi, Sissoko – Benzema, Giroud, Valbuena

Switzerland: Benaglio – Rodriguez, Djourou, Von Bergen, Lichtsteiner – Inler, Behrami, Xhaka – Mehmedi, Seferovic, Shaqiri

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Looking forward to this even though I probably shouldn't be considering Hitzfeld is one of the managers.

Lyricist

Pogba not playing? How come? The way he gets hyped you'd think he's indispensable for France.

Dylan94

Oh for f*cks sake. Clarke Carlisle and Adam Matterface again. Why oh why is there no alternative audio on itv?

NoPace

Sissoko, Cabaye and Matuidi in midfield is very workmanlike and Valbeuna isn't good enough to be the sole creative force so I'd give Switzerland a fair chance here.
Harsh on Valbuena, and Giroud`s knockdowns are fairly creative in their own right. Agreed on the midfield, though. The 6 CM`s out there scream ``take the under``

Status
Not open for further replies.