Gaming Days Gone (PS4 game)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It basically just sounds like a lot of other games, which isn't a bad thing as they all got high reviews. People are just becoming burnt out on these games.

I'll pick it up in a few weeks if I can hold out that long for a price drop :lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
the problem is games like BOTW, H:ZD and TW3 have set the bar so, so, so damn high for OWG's now that if you release one that's only "good" then it'll probably get slated. It's probably the most difficult genre to go near right now. I can't imagine I'd enjoy a game like this after playing them.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still.... 7/10 is a decent score. I'd watch a TV show, movie or read a book based on that... I've got such a massive gaming backlog though.

Reddy Rederson

Latest technical issue, I’m dying on respawn over and over and over and over. The brief glimpse I get is I’m stuck in the ground. Can’t do anything but close the game down. And that is now my save game. Thankfully there’s a lot of auto saves. Phew.

I don’t know what people’s problems are. Maybe they were expecting an open world last of us or something. The game is fine. 7 is a good score. Don’t know why everything has to be a 10 or it’s shit.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Latest technical issue, I’m dying on respawn over and over and over and over. The brief glimpse I get is I’m stuck in the ground. Can’t do anything but close the game down. And that is now my save game. Thankfully there’s a lot of auto saves. Phew.

I don’t know what people’s problems are. Maybe they were expecting an open world last of us or something. The game is fine. 7 is a good score. Don’t know why everything has to be a 10 or it’s shit.
Always have 2 or 3 alternating saves. In every game.

Irwin99

Is the open world formula losing its appeal these days? To me the game just looks a bit unoriginal but as I've not played it I can't say.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I dunno about open worlds losing it's appeal, but we have had some very high quality ones in recent years so a game that seemingly goes backwards is always going to suffer from reviews/word of mouth.

I think the Zombie genre is more the thing that's lost appeal tbh.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I dunno about open worlds losing it's appeal, but we have had some very high quality ones in recent years so a game that seemingly goes backwards is always going to suffer from reviews/word of mouth.

Read that review I posted up earlier.
The main appeal to this game was the promise of hordes of zombies but that is far from the case.
They appear in side missions and only in the main game towards the end.
Not for me anyway.

Reddy Rederson

I dont think thats 100% true, its more the way the zombie genre is done that no one really cares for. As someone else said in another thread, zombie stories have a sweet spot to be entertaining. Its during the outbreak when everything is falling apart. Maybe a little bit after that. But the rebuilding of society stuff is meh. Make a zombie game built around escaping a city in the first hours of a zombie outbreak and it could be very fun. Ive said before, but I think you had something along the lines of the divisions survival dlc mixed with a zombie outbreak, it would be amazing. Escape being the goal, rather than shoot as many dead things as you can. Limited ammo, a time limit, swarms of dead, army dudes running around burning everything. IMO.

Reddy Rederson

I have to say, I agree. The more I play it the more it gets better. Upgrades have made a huge difference to the controls, and the story while nothing original is good enough. I don’t see how anyone could give it a score below 7. Having a lot of fun with it now that I’m figuring this out. The game really doesn’t hold your hand too much, and let’s go altogether when it comes to dealing with swarmers.

I’d give it solid 8 to be honest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah when I first started I was thinking I could take it or leave it tbh but getting into it now. I’m currently trying to turn off a speaker so that I can loot a Nero thing but it’s proving difficult with there being a massive horde all around it. I like that you sometimes just have to run away though, makes for some great getaways or close moments.

Also I did not realise that I could leave with my bike after meeting Manny and spent the next two missions walking around the map until I realised Deacon kept saying “I’m gonna ride up and take a look” and things of that nature :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah when I first started I was thinking I could take it or leave it tbh but getting into it now. I’m currently trying to turn off a speaker so that I can loot a Nero thing but it’s proving difficult with there being a massive horde all around it.

So I went for a Walking Dead bike lure ala Daryl. It went ok until I knocked my bike over and I’m currently still in that container with about 4 of them on top of it and refusing to go away.

Also is there a way to look behind you on the bike without turning the camera?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That looks fun!

Reddy Rederson

So I went for a Walking Dead bike lure ala Daryl. It went ok until I knocked my bike over and I’m currently still in that container with about 4 of them on top of it and refusing to go away.

Also is there a way to look behind you on the bike without turning the camera?
If there is, I haven’t found it. I see you were having the same problem as me, fighting the camera trying to look behind you while moving forwad. I can’t tell you how many times I ended up going the wrong way and banging into things.

By the way, the speakers. You can shoot them from a distance if there’s too many swarmers. It’s a bit hit and miss(pardon the pun) depending on your weapons and distance. There was one I just couldn’t get near without getting swarmed. Tried shooting it and it was then easy to just to sneak in grab the upgrade and bounce.

I have to say, I really like that you can’t just stand there shooting them and you need to make a plan. I found this tunnel I had to get into for a thing, there wasn’t any warning that I was walking into a nest. Like usually he says it’s stinks, there must be a nest here, nope. I just turned a corner in the tunnel and the place was full of them. They all turned at the same time and then ran at me. I bolted out the tunnel with feck knows how many of those things up my arse. Didn’t even have time to jump on the bike. Just sprinted for as long as i could. That wasnt any part of the story, or w side mission. That was just me fecking around looking at stuff. So much fun.

Last edited:

Bojan11

I bought it. 7 isn’t a bad average score.

@Damien what happened to Vadim? I like many others was awaiting his opinion.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm tempted to buy this but reviews are so mixed. I do like the look of the game from videos I've seen but the negative reviews put me off.

I literally only play fifa and I'm bored of that so needed a change. £55 is alot for a "change" though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm tempted to buy this but reviews are so mixed. I do like the look of the game from videos I've seen but the negative reviews put me off.

I literally only play fifa and I'm bored of that so needed a change. £55 is alot for a "change" though.
Will be on sale soon enough. Haven't bought a game for more than 40 quid in ages...

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I wouldn't put full trust on reviewers, know some people who bought it and said it isn't as bad as they are making out. Also guys in this thread are confirming that too. Guess it all depends on what your expectations are.

Last edited:

Bojan11

@Snowle Gunnar Solskjær stomped him into the ground.
Damn. Knew there was something strange about him like he’d been here before.

Also people saying it will be on sale soon enough. Not sure. It was best selling game in the UK and beat Mortal Kombat X which was on more formats. Obviously digital don’t count.

Sony's Days Gone comfortably beat Mortal Kombat 11 in the UK boxed games charts.

Its launch week physical sales are 27% lower than last year's PS4 exclusive action adventure God of War. It is actually a decent performance when you consider this is a new IP - and the review scores for this new game have not been as impressive as last year's multi-award winning effort.

Mortal Kombat 11 had to settle for No.2 as a result. The game's debut performance is 43.6% smaller than 2015's Mortal Kombat X (note: digital sales are not included, and download sales have improved significantly over the last four years). However, sales are slightly up over 2017's Injustice 2, which is another beat 'em up developed by NetherRealm featuring DC characters.

Mortal Kombat 11 sold best on PS4, with 71% of sales coming on Sony's platform.
Decent sales for a new IP with average reviews.

el3mel

How about this ? Did it end up to be just another Zombie game as anyone expected or is there anything new in it ?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m a good way in and enjoying it. There’s nothing groundbreaking but it’s a solid game. It’s like Far Cry meets Red Dead in a zombie style. Some glitches and slowdowns happening in my game occasionally and I can imagine things will get repetitive but so far I’ve had fun with it.

There’s a lot of good and bad. The crafting feels very limited but it’s cool that you often find things where they’re supposed to be found. Lots of kerosene in garages for example.

The bike upgrades are fun and the skill upgrades make a little difference too but they’re also not wildly game changing.

The hordes are great and trying to plan to take one down or lure them away is good fun. Also there is a real element of danger cause when you get about 50 of them chasing you you’re fecked and trying to get away is a great challenge.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
:lol:that motorcycle handling

The zombies look pretty fast are they all like that? Can you out run them?

Reddy Rederson

Yeah, they are all that fast. You can out run them as long as you have stamina. Once that’s done, you’re slow as feck and won’t last long with horde on you. If it’s just a couple of them though theyre easy enough to kill.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Glad that I haven't bought it, this year hasn't been great gaming wise so far, KH3 disappointed me, Sekiro I loved and Cuphead on the Switch was great but that's it for the year so far really, only have 1 game on pre-order too and that's Mario Maker 2.

Bojan11

Glad that I haven't bought it, this year hasn't been great gaming wise so far, KH3 disappointed me, Sekiro I loved and Cuphead on the Switch was great but that's it for the year so far really, only have 1 game on pre-order too and that's Mario Maker 2.
Why you glad?

Most of the user review seems very positive about this game.

This year hasn’t been great compared to the last few years. But I’m not surprised. It’s near the end of the gen and a lot of teams are starting to shift the development there. I doubt we’d get any new major big E3 announcements regarding games this gen especially as Sony aren’t there. Sony still have three exclusives to come out for the PS4.

Wolfenstein is something I’m looking forward to. The switch should have a better year than last year.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@Reddy Rederson how is the story? Or you just having fun running away from hordes? :D

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'll probably trade in Red Dead once I'm done with it for this.

Reddy Rederson

@Reddy Rederson how is the story? Or you just having fun running away from hordes? :D
It’s slow to start, but once you get to know the characters and the motivations and the world it picks up. It’s also a lot longer than I imaged it to be. I thought I had finished the game when it came up with a “no return past this point” message, but turns out the game was just moving into another act. That was two days ago.

The game itself suffers from all the usual things open world games suffer from in regards to repetitive quests and actions. You’re essentially a bounty hunter, so there’s a lot of that. Whatever you do, don’t compare it to rdr2. It will ruin the game for you.

There’s also a few technical issues, but they are squashing them quickly. I think there’s been an update almost every day since release. So they are at least fixing things.

As for playing with the hordes, they are fun :D. They’re not as frequent as you might think, they just kind of appear when you don’t really expect them to. The freakers don’t like the day, so you’ll only see a few roamering around. At night there’s a lot more, and every now and again you come over a hill or turn a corner and the roads are thick with the feckers. I think it’s limited to about 100. Not sure to be honest.

But yeah, all in all, it’s a fun game. Story is nothing new, but it’s done well. Good voice acting across the board. The dynamic weathers effects are pretty gorgeous. I was looking for fuel at night, there was heavy rain and winds, the moon was full. Ventured into a graveyard. Accidentally set off a car alarm, next thing I know there horde around the car. I’m just hiding behind a tomb stone watching them. It looked amazing. Just all these things marching along in the rain and lighting effects. Really really nice.

Bosws87

Only played an hour or so then switched back to replaying God of War will pick it back up later on.

Visually at 4k i was impressed with it, a lot better then i was expecting suffers from the usual open world struggles, would be unfair to judge it till i gave it more time!

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I picked it up this morning really enjoying it. Those reviews slating it are a joke, it’s like some didn’t even play it for long, don’t get me wrong it’s not a game of the year contender but it is thoroughly enjoyable and more than decent I’d give it an 7.5/10 so far.