DDG’s actual ‘worth’

Member 5225

Obviously love that we have DDG between the sticks etc etc.

But objectively, how much is he actually worth (to us) - in light of apparent new contract demands.

Obviously he’s world class, but with our setup and manager (and his track record for GKs), would we genuinely be far more hampered with another GK if it came to it? Like an Oblak, Pickford, Butland or whoever?

If reports of £350k+ week demands or £115m+ bids are true - when does it make sense to cash in on him (or not), despite the love?

Plus is this regular 12/18 month contract saga with him not tiring anyone out?

Good to gauge some views.

James Peril

With any other obtainable goalkeeper instead of de Gea in our goal, we would be tucked in between Spurs and Arsenal right now. People always talk about a striker making a difference, but de Gea is our striker in that regard. If van Dijk is 75M, de Gea is 125M.

GBBQ

But objectively, how much is he actually worth (to us) - in light of apparent new contract demands.

Obviously he’s world class, but with our setup and manager (and his track record for GKs), would we genuinely be far more hampered with another GK if it came to it? Like an Oblak, Pickford, Butland or whoever?

If reports of £350k+ week demands or £115m+ bids are true - when does it make sense to cash in on him (or not), despite the love?

The game against Arsenal showed how important he is to us still. We're not shambolic and I don't see him winning Player of the Year 3 times in a row under Mourinho but still he's a class apart.

I think we should break the bank for him so long as he remains dedicated to staying here. If his head is turned then we should let him go. He should be worth close to 100 mil in todays market but keeper's rarely go for the same kind of price as outfield players.

Skills

Snitch
100m easy. Potentially historically great keeper with at least 7 years of his prime left.

deafepl

De Gea is easily one of best goalkeeper in the generation. Without him, we'd concede 2/3 x goals more with any obtainable goalkeeper like Courtois.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It's difficult to say, as no keeper has ever gone for mega money. But he is the best keeper in the world and his ridiculous ability and age should put him in in the +100m league. As for his wage demands, then if you can afford it then I'd give it to him.

How much time does he have on his contract?

Member 5225

De Gea is easily one of best goalkeeper in the generation. Without him, we'd concede 2/3 x goals more with any obtainable goalkeeper like Courtois.
Is that really (objectively) true though? You think we’d actually concede double or triple the number of goals?!

KristianMackle

You mention Pickford and Butland in the same sentence as Oblak? How could you? Behave.

But seriously, De Gea is irreplaceable but if he really was pushing and forcing himself out, I'd take no less than 250m plus Kroos.

Reactions: Cheesy

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He's invaluable. The best Goalkeeper in the world entering his prime.

If he is to go - We better be getting a quality player in exchange as well as a huge fee. Then go for a world class keeper - Oblak being the obvious choice.

It will be horrible to lose him but if it's to the point we're he's trying to force a move then we may let him go provided we are adequately compensated. It's criminal that he nearly left for what he did under Van Gaal. Thank god Madrid fecked that up.

Trizy

£100m in the current market. Yes he is unbelievable but keepers tend to not go for crazy fees.

That £100m also includes a few premiums as his only likely destination is Madrid.

1. They need a world class goal keeper.
2. He is Spanish No.1
3. They have money and we don't need money.
4. He would be considered a Galactico for their image.

Sanchez7

2-3x more goals? No chance.

In my opinion having him over Romero is probably worth 5-8 pts over the season.

Red Star One

He's been our best player in at least 3 of last 4 seasons, arguably the only player in our team who would make it to any starting XI in Europe, a player without whom we would have at least few points less - only this season - one of our last connections to the Fergie era and one of the very few current United players to ever win the Premier League.

Absolutely priceless, still few good years of his peak in front of him, I wouldn't sell him for 100+ M and wouldn't trade him for virtually any player in the world - bar Messi, maybe Neymar.

World class. We'd be much worse of with whoever came to replace him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So basically without De Gea we could concede more goals than anyone else in the league, or at very best as much as pretty much all relegation fodders are conceding?

deafepl

Is that really (objectively) true though? You think we’d actually concede double or triple the number of goals?!
Dea Gea is ranked as 2nd for making most saves in the premier league this season, keep more clean sheets than anyone and conceded at least goal in the league.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We should be seriously offended at any offer less than £100M.
I've never really been convinced that he dreams of playing for Real Madrid, afterall he is an Atletico lad, but I couldn't blame him for wanting to play for Real.

Personally I think that we'd easily have shipped a dozen more goals in the Premiership this season without De Gea, and that can equate to a good amount of points.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Anyone we get after him will be a downgrade, currently, so his value to us is enormous. To have a player who is the very best in that position in the world, we don't have that anywhere else in the squad. He should definitely be among our highest paid players to align with his status as the best at what he does.

If he was to be dead-set on going to Madrid, then he shouldn't be leaving for less than £100m. The market is mental post-Neymar but goalkeeper or not, he should be within that £100m+ bracket as he is quite rightly an elite player, and he would be impossible to replace in terms of like-for-like quality.

Another 5 year contract would take him to 32 years old, so quite rightly this contract is going to be huge for both him and the club. It will secure him during what should be his abilities at their absolute peak. If we want that, then we pay him what he wants.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
First off, I love De Gea, but he's not without faults. He's probably the best shot stopper in the world. His agility is unmatched. And as good as he was in the Arsenal match making all those saves to help us win the game, there have been other games where his flaws have cost us points. Case in point was the Leicester game. They crossed a ball from 35 yards out that was put away 3 yards from goal. De Gea should have been all over that ball. He has gotten better at dealing with crosses but it's still his biggest flaw. If he does go (and I hope he doesn't), I wouldn't accept anything lower than 100m. And if he does, then I would like to see Romero given a shot at the #1. He has more than earned that chance. Last year alone he had 12 clean sheets and never allowed more than 1 goal against him...

DdeGoat

He is the only world class player in our team. He is priceless to us.

Before someone gets their panties in a bunch, the others are still "potentials" or in case of Sanchez, only new.

Varun

Staff
To a club like ours which doesn't need to sell to buy, no amount to of money should be enough if the player wants to stay.

Zlatattack

We have the worlds best goalkeeper. Why downgrade? We should ONLY let him go if he forces a move. We can afford superstar wages, we don't need a big cash injection and if we ever sold him the replacement would cost an arm and a leg anyway.

Red_toad

Goalkeeper simply don't have the value of outfield players. If Dave goes it'll be for a world record for a keeper, but well well under 100 million quid.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He is priceless in terms of importance in our team. Also there aren't many top goalkeepers who are still young like himself.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We saw post Schmeichel how important a reliable keeper is so he's as important as any other player in the team, pay him what he wants.

As for Real i think they have bigger problems than their GK and i think they'll invest heavily further up the field.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
2/3 actually mean two thirds, every other place than the Caf (no idea why you lot write it that way), and that might be more right than 2-3 times as many goals :lol:

Inter Yer Nan

Not sure how legit those demands are. Real would likely pay him even less than we currently play him. No doubt he'll want an increase and I'd imagine 250k p/w will do it and that's fair enough. He's been our best player for over 5 years now and probably hasn't even entered his prime so we'd be foolish not to cave into his demands and lose out on a guy who'll be around this level for at least the next 5-6 years.

As far as fee's. Real won't pay us what we'd be happy with. I'd be sad to see him for for any realistic price and I think anything less than 130m and we've been had.

AP88

Supports
Man City

With any other obtainable goalkeeper instead of de Gea in our goal, we would be tucked in between Spurs and Arsenal right now. People always talk about a striker making a difference, but de Gea is our striker in that regard. If van Dijk is 75M, de Gea is 125M.
Agree that the perpetual Real rumors are annoying, but he’s a great Spanish keeper coveted by the biggest Spanish club - inevitable really.

But I don’t agree the team would be much worse off without him - the Leicester game for example exposed the impact of him being glued to his line, and the vulnerability it causes. I think he conceds a disproportionate number of shots considering he played for a big club - and his isolation in the 6 yard box forces the defenders it retreat even further and leaves space in front of them for opposition the occupy and shoot from a decent range leading to him making more saves. Funny that Romero doesn’t have to deal with half as many shots when playing in the same team....

If he did go, I wouldn’t replace him, or at least not immediately. Romero would do a job and has earned it too; Dean Henderson has De Gea levels of potential for me, so I’d get him involved as the cup keeper with a view to being the long-term replacement.

Or if De Gea is just intent on going home rather than Real specifically, I’d be proactive in offering him to Atleti in exchange for Oblak and Carrasco. Real’s behaviour in tapping up Ronaldo and De Gea, as well as signing Modric and Bale from under United’s noses, has earning them a snub.

rampo

Can someone post any references to these wage demands please, this is the first time I am hearing them

United_We_Stand

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
David De Gea is one of the greatest goalkeepers in history. That's how good he is. 120m+ easily.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
To us, priceless. He’s our only player that’s labelled ‘world class’ and performs at such a level consistently (too early to include Alexis). However, every player has a price and if he wants to leave I’d take £100 mill. We can get a worthy replacement for less than half of that and strengthen in other areas. A solid, consistent back 4 can win you titles and trophies so sort that out and a keeper even a level below De Gea will do if he goes

Reactions: Cheesy

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Goalkeepers can play at a high level into their mid thirties. De Gea could easily be another VDS. There are also very few world class keepers around and none at de Gea's level, so cashing in would never make sense unless it was a deal disproportionately in our favour. Like 300m plus Navas or Courtois. The type of deal it would take for him to leave is the type no club will be willing to participate in. He only leaves if he demands to go and downs tools. Doesn't seem that type of person as if it was in his character he'd have done it post FaxGate.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
While DDG is fantastic, I'm guessing that not everyone here really gets to watch other keepers. Yes, DDG saves us lot sof point but I'm willing ot bet so does Pickford and Butland (who would be my choice if DDG does leave, which I think will happen this summer). Cech certainly turned draws into wins and loses into to draws when he was in his prime at chelsea. Peter the Great did the same in his time with United

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think he is worth less than someone like Lukaku, di Maria, etc., despite them being attacking players, so I don't see why would we even think about selling him for less than 100m euros. Whether someone would pay that much or not, I don't really care, but considering how much money we spent on some players of questionable quality, I don't see why would we sell him for less.

TRossManUtd8

For me De Gea is priceless... I would not sell him or swap him with any player in the world. Sadly, I have read a lot that Mourinho would swap De Gea to Madrid for Bale. I seriously pray to God that does not happen. If we going to allow him to head to Madrid than there are so many other players I would prefer over Bale. Kovacic would sort out our midfield and Varane would be a nice addition to our D. If I had to put a number on De Gea, it would be over 200 mil.

There are other good GKs out there but De Gea has another 8-10 years left at the top and when all is said and done could be arguably our greatest GK ever and that says a lot since we had VDS and Schmeichel.

Reactions: Invictus

Jaybomb

He is priceless. Give him what he wants and ensure that he stays forever.

Jinn

He's worth at least 15 points a season. That's how the club should be looking at it.