DDG’s actual ‘worth’

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
£145,000,000 for me. Why the hell do we need to sell anyways?

Surely he won’t go to Madrid with all the uncertainty with their football club right now at least?

Winning a couple of trophies last year will only keep him sweet for a while, I gather that. I think he’s worth the money mentioned above. He has saved us countless number of times and is worth close to 20 points a season.

Pay him what he wants although slightly concerned with Sanchez coming in on high wages players are going to be asking for more money.

Reactions: Invictus

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We shouldn't even consider selling him from a sporting perspective, because we cannot replace him with like for like regardless of how much money we got for him. 100m or 200m pounds doesn't change that there isn't another keeper out on the market remotely near his qualities.

If we're talking wages, it's hard to know any knock-on effect, but basing our wages percentage to turnover (low as feck compared to all top clubs I believe), we shouldn't have to worry about his wages. His standing within the club should be as one of our absolute top class players and will be for years to come regardless of how many other world class players we might get. Him getting a pay-rise doesn't mean any of the others apart from those already world class (who we'd also want to tie down on long-term contracts) can ask for anything.
The only situation where I think giving De Gea a lot of money could be an issue within the squad would be if we had a "best player in the world" candidate like Messi on less money.

Personally, taken out of the air as assumptions of me being the clubs evaluator, I'd happily give De Gea 500k a week contract and wouldn't sell him even at 300m pounds unless there was a up and coming keeper that was identified as definitely good enough of a replacement that we could get for way less money.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This club doesn't need cash. Status of not for sale should up the price easily above 100m but what this club needs is world class currently De Gea offers, pretty much constantly. Are we really want to sell another Ronaldo, but this time Ronaldo of goalkeeping ?

Butland and Pickford ? Give me a feckin break, lads. :lol:

Stacks

With any other obtainable goalkeeper instead of de Gea in our goal, we would be tucked in between Spurs and Arsenal right now. People always talk about a striker making a difference, but de Gea is our striker in that regard. If van Dijk is 75M, de Gea is 125M.
You mention Pickford and Butland in the same sentence as Oblak? How could you? Behave.

But seriously, De Gea is irreplaceable but if he really was pushing and forcing himself out, I'd take no less than 250m plus Kroos.
wrong time to make this thread. He has an average of 4.41 saves per goal and has made 75 saves. Pickford is on 1.73 saves per goal out of 78 and Butland 1.48 saves per game out of 65. People need to put respect on De Geas name. Oblak is the only contender at 6 saves per goal out of 54 saves. He has faced less shots but still excellent. Nueur also. they would consume all his transfer funds.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With 18 months left on his deal, his value is diminished. But we aren't a club that has to sell.

Putting the length of his current deal aside, I'd say his value is somewhere far north of what it would cost to replace him. I can't see any team willing to sell a top class GK to us for anything other than crazy money. What would Oblak/Donnarumma cost?

I wouldn't be happy if he was sold for 100m. If they spent absolutely crazy money on him, north of 150m, and he'd publicly want to leave, it'd be different.

Houdini

125M+ sounds reasonable, maybe 150M+, or 100M + TOP player in. But at our current situation he is priceless for us. And it's stupid to sell the best goalkeeper in the world who is young and proved himself for many times. So keep him at any cost unless he wants out badly for some reason.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Whatever Donnarumma eventually leaves for it will be too much.

unitedforeveral

Sir Alex bought a gem! It would be nothing short of stupid if we sell him. I'm sure Jose knows and recognizes that.

Revan

Assumptionman
When good but not great central defenders cost 75m, teenage sensations cost 150m, and Coutinho (who is great but not world class) costs that, I think that the best/second best keeper in the world who arguably hasn't even reached his prime year and can have another decade of service, should cost at least 150m pounds.

If he signs his contract, then basically there is no reason to sell him. Even at 200m, and assuming that we invest them in the team, still there is a high chance that we will be worse than simply by keeping him.

Revan

Assumptionman
2-3x more goals? No chance.

In my opinion having him over Romero is probably worth 5-8 pts over the season.
Nah, I think that he is worth 5-8 more points over the season, having him over some other top keeper like Lloris or Courtuis.

Him over Romero is easily 10+ points per season. And well, that is probably the difference between Kane (a really top striker, arguably best in the world) and Lukaku (a great striker). I think that many of us would be happy to get Kane for 200m and offload Lukaku for what we payed him for. I think that the same should be said for De Gea. Even if we get a really top keeper, we would probably lose 5 points or more over the season.

And getting a top keeper is far from easy, as our Scouser friend can attest.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yesterday a spanish periodist said that United wanted 135m€.
I think it could be between 100-130 m€ with United accepting a rounded amount as 100m pounds.
For his contract the price could be less but for the situation United could demand a big amount(Madrid need the GK this summer,not the next)

Revan

Assumptionman
Or if De Gea is just intent on going home rather than Real specifically, I’d be proactive in offering him to Atleti in exchange for Oblak and Carrasco. Real’s behaviour in tapping up Ronaldo and De Gea, as well as signing Modric and Bale from under United’s noses, has earning them a snub.
You would have done that, but they cannot afford De Gea. He is payed significantly more than Griezmann for example.

Seven Seas Sardines

With 18 months left on his deal, his value is diminished. But we aren't a club that has to sell.

Putting the length of his current deal aside, I'd say his value is somewhere far north of what it would cost to replace him. I can't see any team willing to sell a top class GK to us for anything other than crazy money. What would Oblak/Donnarumma cost?

I wouldn't be happy if he was sold for 100m. If they spent absolutely crazy money on him, north of 150m, and he'd publicly want to leave, it'd be different.
Pretty sure we'll activate the option for a further year if he doesn't sign a new contract..

Contract until: 30.06.2019
Contract option: one further year

Revan

Assumptionman
Yesterday a spanish periodist said that United wanted 135m€.
I think it could be between 100-130 m€ with United accepting a rounded amount as 100m pounds.
For his contract the price could be less but for the situation United could demand a big amount(Madrid need the GK this summer,not the next)
Unless De Gea begs and threatens to not play, United will refuse a 100m pounds offer. When Van Dijk in this league costs 75m pounds, you can imagine how much De God will cost.

The only way he will leave is if he really pushes hard to leave. So far, he hasn't shown anything like that (more like, I would like to join Real rather than I desperately want to join Real). Even then, Real will likely need to pay more than what they want/can afford to pay. And finally, if rumors are true, we are going to offer him 300-350k per week (pounds), which essentially means that Real would need to match (or go near that). Even assuming that he accepts just 250k/week from them, a generous United accepting just 100m pounds, and both De Gea and his agent asking for just 10% as signing on fee/agent fee (knowing his agent, it will be much more), in a 5 year contract he will cost 185m pounds (208.5m euros). This is a very conservative valuation though, so most likely it would be more.

Will Perez pay that much for a keeper? I really don't think so.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pretty sure we'll activate the option for a further year if he doesn't sign a new contract..

Contract until: 30.06.2019
Contract option: one further year
I thought it was 2019 with the option used, but glad to be mistaken :D
In that case, I think talk of 100m is pretty feeble. And I wouldn't really want any of their unwanted players, bar Asensio but he's hardly unwanted. And it's taking the piss if they offer us a shit keeper + money. If he is sold, it should only be after we've done the groundwork in replacing him with the best possible option (which isn't anyone playing in the Prem currently IMV).

DoubleRevv

First off, I love De Gea, but he's not without faults. He's probably the best shot stopper in the world. His agility is unmatched. And as good as he was in the Arsenal match making all those saves to help us win the game, there have been other games where his flaws have cost us points. Case in point was the Leicester game. They crossed a ball from 35 yards out that was put away 3 yards from goal. De Gea should have been all over that ball. He has gotten better at dealing with crosses but it's still his biggest flaw. If he does go (and I hope he doesn't), I wouldn't accept anything lower than 100m. And if he does, then I would like to see Romero given a shot at the #1. He has more than earned that chance. Last year alone he had 12 clean sheets and never allowed more than 1 goal against him...
Amen to that!! Might be contoversial, but having watched DDG and VDS, I still rate VDS above De Gea, though this might be because VDS had an air of authority which DDG in my opinion is yet to develop.

If Madrid came calling, I'm happy for us to sell DDG if he wishes to leave. Think a player who would get into our first team, specifically Kovacic + significant cash would make me feel okay about such a deal.

I'm Romero's #1 fan btw.

SirAF

Ageist
350k a week for a player like de Gea is MORE than worth it for what it's... worth.

el3mel

100m easily.

Whatever any good GK we may get if David (hopefully not) leave, he'll be considered a downgrade on David.

SirAF

Ageist

Whatever any good GK we may get if David (hopefully not) leave, he'll be considered a downgrade on David.
If the contract was sorted out, then I'd turn down 100m easily. He's the best goalkeeper in the world and the market is not exactly flush with top class keepers that are possible to buy.

Eli Zee

2-3x more goals? No chance.

In my opinion having him over Romero is probably worth 5-8 pts over the season.
Yes but using him in a trade deal or for lots of cash to buy a useful outfield player can negate that 5-8 pts or even get us more

el3mel

If the contract was sorted out, then I'd turn down 100m easily. He's the best goalkeeper in the world and the market is not exactly flush with top class keepers that are possible to buy.
Hopefully he'll never leave and we won't think much about it.

David has reached a point where his presence itself in the GK is huge and problematic against any striker going face to face with him. The striker isn't as confident scoring while facing David and this gives us a great bonus I can't see it with any other GK even if he's good.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
With two years left on his contract come summer when the one year extension will probably be activated, he'll probably be worth £100Mish. If he had longer, it'd be Coutinho money though if he had longer we wouldn't sell anyway.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
People haven't adjusted to the fact that we're far less reliant on him under Mourinho than under Moyes/LVG.

If it's true that he's demanding 350k and we can actually get 100m for him, it's time to cash in. Buy a replacement for less than half that money and we'll be okay. I don't see us conceding many more extra goals with someone who is top 5/10 in the world rather than top 2.

Deleted member 101472

Don’t mind cashing in on him for £150million so long as that money goes on strengthening the defence, because we can’t replace him with a keeper of similar quality so best to spend it on players who make having a world glass goalkeeper almost a non point.

TRossManUtd8

Amen to that!! Might be contoversial, but having watched DDG and VDS, I still rate VDS above De Gea, though this might be because VDS had an air of authority which DDG in my opinion is yet to develop.

If Madrid came calling, I'm happy for us to sell DDG if he wishes to leave. Think a player who would get into our first team, specifically Kovacic + significant cash would make me feel okay about such a deal.

I'm Romero's #1 fan btw.

I love Romero as well but lets face it... he is not starting GK quality at United. If we sell De Gea to Madrid we will need better than Romero. I am positive that without De Gea we would not be in 2nd in the league table. The question is, how far would we have dropped off with Romero? IMO, we are sitting 4 or 5 with Romero as our GK.

Keep De Gea, he brings more to our team than Kovacic and cash would. United have plenty of cash and can go find the next great young CM and keep the best GK on the planet. Just my 2 cents though

RC89

We have one of the best defensive records in the league, yet De Gea has made about double the saves of Ederson/Courtois (somehow he has the most clean sheets too). Tells you all you need to know. We'd probably be outside of top 4 right now without him.

Jericholyte2

I think on terms of value you have to look at his impact on the team as a whole. To that end, I would argue he is more valuable to us than Coutinho was to Liverpool.

That, combined with the smaller market for goalkeepers (a fact that many seem to overlook) and the lack of equal replacements, I would put him at pretty much world record value.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
The best in his position which makes him irreplaceable plus he's never injured and he has got at least another ten years in him. Who knows? He is practically priceless.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
People haven't adjusted to the fact that we're far less reliant on him under Mourinho than under Moyes/LVG.

If it's true that he's demanding 350k and we can actually get 100m for him, it's time to cash in. Buy a replacement for less than half that money and we'll be okay. I don't see us conceding many more extra goals with someone who is top 5/10 in the world rather than top 2.
My personal opinion is that our back up right now is already a top 5/10 keeper in the world. Let's not forget that he is Argentina's starting keeper and he's done amazing when he's played. 12 clean sheets last year and never let in more than 1 goal in a game that he played. If De Gea is sold I would say to give Romero the #1. He has more than earned it. We can then use that money to upgrade other areas and if Romero doesn't work out, then we can look around. But personally, I don't think Romero would be a risk. Some people will list their top keepers based on the teams that they play for. Keepers like Navas are constantly ranked high but I don't think he even comes close to Romero...

slir32

I read that Athletico want 100m for their keeper i wouldn't sell DDG for anything less than 150m.

Bolal7700

He won't be going to Madrid this summer. As rich as they are they don't have unlimited money and already have a solid keeper in navas. Also with Benzema/Ronaldo declining they will need to spend big on their attack

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

In previous years i've been in the ''we'll cope ok without him'' boat, but this season we've been more reliant on him than ever.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
My personal opinion is that our back up right now is already a top 5/10 keeper in the world. Let's not forget that he is Argentina's starting keeper and he's done amazing when he's played. 12 clean sheets last year and never let in more than 1 goal in a game that he played. If De Gea is sold I would say to give Romero the #1. He has more than earned it. We can then use that money to upgrade other areas and if Romero doesn't work out, then we can look around. But personally, I don't think Romero would be a risk. Some people will list their top keepers based on the teams that they play for. Keepers like Navas are constantly ranked high but I don't think he even comes close to Romero...
I like Romero a lot and I trust him, but I'm not sure if Jose shares our opinion.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Unless De Gea begs and threatens to not play, United will refuse a 100m pounds offer. When Van Dijk in this league costs 75m pounds, you can imagine how much De God will cost.

The only way he will leave is if he really pushes hard to leave. So far, he hasn't shown anything like that (more like, I would like to join Real rather than I desperately want to join Real). Even then, Real will likely need to pay more than what they want/can afford to pay. And finally, if rumors are true, we are going to offer him 300-350k per week (pounds), which essentially means that Real would need to match (or go near that). Even assuming that he accepts just 250k/week from them, a generous United accepting just 100m pounds, and both De Gea and his agent asking for just 10% as signing on fee/agent fee (knowing his agent, it will be much more), in a 5 year contract he will cost 185m pounds (208.5m euros). This is a very conservative valuation though, so most likely it would be more.

Will Perez pay that much for a keeper? I really don't think so.
Personally 100 million pounds would be my limit . It seems already too much but it could be justified.
Seeing how Courtois is selling himself to Madrid I imagine that De Gea will have to do something, if he really wants to come.
If that is the case, I think United will be much more willing to negotiate than two years ago.

Last edited:

Jonno

I think he would be the first goalkeeper to break the 100m barrier. The equivalent footballing valuation today to Gigi Buffon back in 2000-2001

Silas

Personally 100 million pounds would be my limit by. It seems already too much but it could be justified.
Seeing how Courtois is selling himself to Madrid I imagine that De Gea will have to do something, if he really wants to come.
If that is the case, I think United will be much more willing to negotiate than two years ago.
Surely you wouldn't even pay close to that for a keeper, considering the other more pressing concerns (your entire attack)?