DDG: Over 400 apps for our club. Legend status! Was he the best we've had? Shoot!

waza7111

van der Sar
Schmeichel
de Gea

I was probably too young to remember Schmeichel's best years so he could have been better than Edwin.

But those 2 are comfortably better than DDG who was only really good at shot stopping and even that declined over the last few years.

Woodzy

van der Sar
Schmeichel
de Gea

I was probably too young to remember Schmeichel's best years so he could have been better than Edwin.

But those 2 are comfortably better than DDG who was only really good at shot stopping and even that declined over the last few years.
One of the best. Give the guy some credit.

By far our best player during our most difficult period in my lifetime, and despite his downfalls you can’t overlook that.

lex talionis

I can’t read every post here so perhaps someone has already made the point that Pete and Edwin had vastly superior defenders in front of him than Dave did. Not somewhat, not substantially…but vastly superior.

And add on top of that a dominant midfield and front line both Pete and Edwin enjoyed that Dave never did.

I’m pretty sure if you put Pete or Edwin in goal in front of the dross we’ve had over the last decade how we view both of them now would be quite different.

Revan

Assumptionman
Underrated how? VDS was never the best keeper in the world. Whatever period of time you'd look at his career - the likes of Schmeichel, Buffon and Cech were just clearly better keepers than him.
I would go even as far as he wasn’t even a top 3 keeper. During his United spell (probably his best time of career), I think most would put Buffon, Cech and Casillas ahead of him.

He was very good, by all accounts a top organizer, but he was just an ok shot stopper which IMO is the most important part of goalkeeping. He was extremely prone to deviations, how many goals we conceded that touched a defender and VDS was essentially a statue.

Unlike De Gea, he also had the benefit of having Rio and Vidic ahead of him. And while De Gea rightly gets criticizes for costing us high profile games, VDS essentially cost us 10-11 final when he was directly responsible for 2 goals (especially Messi’s one was a total howler).

tomaldinho1

Like I said wildly overrated. Schmeichel is regarded as one of the top 3 keepers ever even outside of the Man United fans. Nobody in their right mind would stick VDS in that sort of category - yet here we have it, another example of Manchester United fans getting football wildly wrong.
:lol: So passive aggressive.
I have VDS above Big Pete. Both amazing but VDS was basically like a goalkeeping equivalent of Irwin, consistently excellent.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Some serious underrating of Harry Moger going on in this thread.

RedIan

DDG is a good a shot stopper as anyone imo. Schmeichel was all round better for me his one on one ability was amazing.

M Bison

Supports
York City
As good as either for me, only difference is the team/defence in front of him was far weaker than for PS and VdS.

Made us look a half decent side for years post SAF, reality was we were poor and he was our only shining light.

Wont ever be remembered as fondly as the other two due to the success we experienced with those both but he did more for us in our post SAF period than those did in our successful periods in my view.

kbbear

VDS for me. Never seen a keeper so calm. No putting him up there but Raimond van her Gouw had that same calmness about him too.

Ryan11Giggs ❤️

Supports
England national team
No . I believe he is the symbol of a period , the hardest probably this club had since 1958. This post-Ferguson-apocalyptic era .

he is a symbol of mediocrity. He was very good many seasons , as a goalkeeper- goes to show you.
I hope he will remain his status as the last keeper to achieve those personal goals .

A keeper should never be our best of the season . We should have creative or warrior players winning those individual achievements.

As a fan from the 90’s I would say I rank him third . After Pete (1) and can see Saar (2)

SER19

The last couple of years will cloud how good he actually was. There was a spell where it felt as if he was playing without a defence. Shame he didn't win more here, if any of those best seasons had come with a big trophy he'd be remembered even more highly.

Skills

Snitch
I would go even as far as he wasn’t even a top 3 keeper. During his United spell (probably his best time of career), I think most would put Buffon, Cech and Casillas ahead of him.

He was very good, by all accounts a top organizer, but he was just an ok shot stopper which IMO is the most important part of goalkeeping. He was extremely prone to deviations, how many goals we conceded that touched a defender and VDS was essentially a statue.

Unlike De Gea, he also had the benefit of having Rio and Vidic ahead of him. And while De Gea rightly gets criticizes for costing us high profile games, VDS essentially cost us 10-11 final when he was directly responsible for 2 goals (especially Messi’s one was a total howler).
Even that implication, I find quite insulting to Ferdinand and Vidic. Were they 2 idiots who needed VDS behind them to organise them? Does that mean the likes of Terry and VVD are just better defenders than them, because they didn't have the goalkeeping Yoda behind them masterminding all their actions?

Secondly it's such a unprovable claim, and you have no idea how good other goalkeepers are it because there's no data/eye test that gives you any form of evidence to judge that.

But overall you're right, I'd say along with De Gea, Cech & Buffon - the likes of Courtois, Oblak, Allison & obviously Neuer were better keepers than VDS in the last 2 decades.

Casillas is maybe debatable - but his big game record, makes him hard to argue against.

Red Royal

A very very good keeper for us and sounds like was a good lad to have in the squad. However, for me, never a legend, Schmeichel and Van der Sar will always be better.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Are we all in agreement that his best save for us was against Mata's destined top corner freekick ?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Even that implication, I find quite insulting to Ferdinand and Vidic. Were they 2 idiots who needed VDS behind them to organise them?
They're not idiots, but there was a definite dropoff in our defensive stability when they played in front of Kuszczak, Foster, Lindegaard, or DDG.

Ricardo de la Vega

van der Sar
Schmeichel
de Gea

Agree with this. Schmeichel was my hero as a kid, and Van der Sar was immense, but DDG was great for a couple of years, and good for the rest. His longevity, committment and attitude have always been top drawer and there was a time when he was the best shot stopper in the world. Legend for us and I salute him for all his years of service. Good luck to you David.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Much easier to command the box when the box also contains some useful defenders. DDG never really had them. When I look at how he developed from when he got here as a tiny GK who was bullied, he’s been truly excellent. One of our better players during these barren years. Hard to say if he’s better than both Pete and Edwin but to my mind he’s as good as, and that’s epic in and of itself in my book.

Wicked_Badger

Van der Sar was immense and his presence was palpable even watching on TV.

Probably 3rd best after those two.
Pretty much this. I have VdS ahead of big Pete by a hair. DDG next, but a little way behind them both.

Great servant & wonderful player. But time has moved on.

JagUTD

Time to be a right bastard and start an argument; the number of appearances doesn't make a legend. Winning trophies and shining in successful teams does, as does being a true representative of the club on and off the pitch.

For all of De Gea's appearances he earned one league title, an FA Cup medal and the Europa League. He was never a leader for us and I struggle to think of what he did off the pitch either. In a couple of years whenever I think of him I won't go "what a legend". I'll just think "Oh yeah, he played in goal for us for years".

Good luck to him in his future and I wish him the best, and I'll miss seeing him in goal, but legend? Setting the bar a little low, surely.
Think it's harsh to judge a player being a legend on trophies. Many players never win much or even anything but can still be legends. De Gea definitely represented the club well and was for a long time the only player worthy of being called a Manchester United player in the team.

Even then, coming away from football with a league title and a respectable collection of cup winners medals plus the individual accolades is more than a great many players achieve. It's more than a fair chunk of United players have achieved given our success is condensed into two periods.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I reckon United really low balled him to move him on, but he was a legend just he needed upgrading for a better keeper

JagUTD

Also, where does goalkeeper coaching come into this. People are quick to point the finger and say De Gea never developed any other part of his game bar his reflexes but isn't that partly down to those coaching him? I doubt he set his own training regimes and will have worked with several goalkeeping coaches over the years.

JagUTD

I reckon United really low balled him to move him on, but he was a legend just he needed upgrading for a better keeper
Let's hope the next one is better because the last thing we need is years of uncertainty in goal. Even City who are often cited as the example on here got it wrong at first

Marwood

I'll always find it hard to fully appreciate a goalkepper who is physically timid but nonetheles his leaving marks the passing of an era. In itself something worthy.

Revan

Assumptionman
They're not idiots, but there was a definite dropoff in our defensive stability when they played in front of Kuszczak, Foster, Lindegaard, or DDG.
Not sure this is true. We conceded 33 league goals the season after VDS retired, 43 in the one after that. In the final's VDS season, we conceded 37 goals, and 28 in the one before that. So while we conceded 5 more goals on average, I think that might be attributed more to Vidic missing the entire 2011-2012 season and half of 2012-2013 season, with Rio also aging a bit, rather than De Gea not being good.

JagUTD

I'll always find it hard to fully appreciate a goalkepper who is physically timid but nonetheles his leaving marks the passing of an era. In itself something worthy.
I don't really think there are many keepers in the modern game who are physical tbh. They don't need to be anymore due to the less physical nature of the game and the fact they are the most protected players on the pitch.

The vast majority of keepers playing today would have been bullied in Schmeichels days for example. Probably pre Cech head injury, most wouldn't have been able to cope with the game.

There are a few exceptions of course, especially those who actually played in those days (Buffon) but most wouldn't have coped.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
At his absolute best, which is the best shot stoppper in the world by a mile but had other short comings, he's still behind Schmeichel and Van Der Sar. And there's no shame in that really.

When he was at his best, you overlooked his weaknesses, because his shot stopping won games. But he's not the best we ever had. Still, we shouldn't forget just how effective he was in his prime. Especially because we were pretty crap during his best years, but it was great to see him frustrate teams with his otherworldly reactions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
At his absolute best, which is the best shot stoppper in the world by a mile but had other short comings, he's still behind Schmeichel and Van Der Sar. And there's no shame in that really.

When he was at his best, you overlooked his weaknesses, because his shot stopping won games. But he's not the best we ever had. Still, we shouldn't forget just how effective he was in his prime. Especially because we were pretty crap during his best years, but it was great to see him frustrate teams with his otherworldly reactions.
Not a dig at you (and I only checked because you've been posting on here for a while) but this is a good example of how the last few years have changed people's perception of De Gea peak years.

Now you're saying that at even at his peak he wasn't as good as Schmeichel or VDS. But a few years ago.....

Now he is the undisputed best in the league, with an abyss of nothingness behind him, the gap between him and everyone else is that significant. He is currently sticking two fingers up at everyone who targeted him, doubted him, egged on his apparent certain failure. It puts De Gea at the top of the pile for me personally. I'm sure Schmeichel and Van der Sar went through periods of vast improvement elsewhere, but to see it from De Gea first hand as a supporter was magic. Schmeichel was my favourite player growing up, I sulked for days when I found out he was leaving, he was phenomenal. Still, De Gea is the best of the three IMO.
Schmeichel was my hero growing up, he was immense, but I think De Gea has won us more games via his ability than Schmeichel or Van Der Sar ever had to.
It's one thing for people to reassess De Gea's overall standing in light of his decline in the last few years, but it's a shame if people forget just how good his peak was.

mshnsh

Like I said wildly overrated. Schmeichel is regarded as one of the top 3 keepers ever even outside of the Man United fans. Nobody in their right mind would stick VDS in that sort of category - yet here we have it, another example of Manchester United fans getting football wildly wrong.
That's your opinion and I stand by my opinion.

Jacob

3rd best.

His legacy will be tainted by the unsuccessful era he was part of.

crossy1686

career ending
I can’t read every post here so perhaps someone has already made the point that Pete and Edwin had vastly superior defenders in front of him than Dave did. Not somewhat, not substantially…but vastly superior.

And add on top of that a dominant midfield and front line both Pete and Edwin enjoyed that Dave never did.

I’m pretty sure if you put Pete or Edwin in goal in front of the dross we’ve had over the last decade how we view both of them now would be quite different.
And conversely, De Gea would never have made it in either of those teams because they demanded more from their GK and GK's got very little protection during those years.

crossy1686

career ending
United fans are the only fans that rate De Gea though?

JagUTD

Yeh I've made the point. People tend to ignore it though but it's arguably the biggest factor between the 3 of them.

AndySmith1990

Did Spanish managers get football wildly wrong too? None of them rated him. He's such a weak keeper in so many areas and so many United fans just refuse to acknowledge it. Thankfully Ten Hag isn't blinded by such sentimentality and has higher standards for a keeper

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Probably third or fourth behind Stepney.

Either way far from the undisputed top 2.

mu4c_20le

Did Spanish managers get football wildly wrong too? None of them rated him. He's such a weak keeper in so many areas and so many United fans just refuse to acknowledge it. Thankfully Ten Hag isn't blinded by such sentimentality and has higher standards for a keeper
Interesting, did non-Spanish managers give him his 45 caps and take him to the World Cup?

JagUTD

United fans are the only fans that rate De Gea though?
That's not true at all though. In fact, you often see opposition fans talking about him in a more positive light than our own fans.

In fact when that moron posted the hour long video of his mistakes, it was opposition fans pointing out that not only was the video a joke in itself but that De Gea was a brilliant keeper and they would gladly have him.

So if anything, it's probably some United fans who rate him less than even fans of our biggest rivals.

Bondi77

Best shot stopper I have seen and probably the best wage earner we have had at the club.
I really hope he doesn't follow Ronnie and show it was all about the money.