De Boer sacked only weeks into his reign (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNelson

Wow Palace really have a habit of making themselves look silly with their hiring and firing. 4 games, 360 minutes of Premier League football is what they consider enough to judge a manager on. They must surely have known that it would take a few games to get some momentum going because of the differing style of play the new manager wanted to implement compared to the last one. But 4 games? I think this is a poor call from Palace and while I don't subscribe to all this "I hope Palace get relegated now" which will do the rounds on Facebook - because why would you? - it certainly makes me feel less sympathetic to their plight.

Needham

Honestly thought we'd been spared forever the Roy Hodgson Mood and Syntax Interview Press Conference Nightmare once he'd been binned off by England. Please no one interview him ever.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
So what happened here? 4 matches, zero goals or wins - that's the gist of it? I hadn't followed him since his time at Ajax as a manager but not a lot of Inter fans were too fond of him either. More of an assistant than main coach?
Pretty much. They were the better side against Burnley but a stupid mistake led to them conceding and their players can't finish from a yard out.

They didn't have Zaha, Loftus-Cheek and Sakho in the team either.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Sacking a manager after 4 games is ridiculous and what's more ridiculous than that is appointing Woy Hodgson as the successor.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Roy Hodgson is 70 years young, Palace the very definition of desperate and lacking answers - seems like an ideal fit

Damien

Staff
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...up-like-steve-coppell-with-sean-a3554641.html

before appointing De Boer said:
“We really want somebody who feels they can come in and help us improve the footballing side of the club over a long period of time,” Parish told American radio station SiriusXM FC.

“That is what we are looking for. In the past we have had managers like Steve Coppell who have been at the club a long time and helped build the club. If we could get one of those relationships again that would be preferable.

“At the moment we have a long list and are honing that down. It is about what direction we want to go in from a playing style. We have got a personnel and a way of playing. It has served us well. Do we try and change that again as we did with Alan [Pardew]? Or do we stick with what we have and try and be what we are, which is pretty effective?

“That is the first question we have to ask ourselves. That will inform probably where we go on the list of managers. After that you are just looking for somebody who has got a long-term view for the club. We do not really want someone who sees it as a stepping stone.”
That went well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well, I mean, he sort of deserved it. 4 losses with 0 goals is pretty untenable, and you'd imagine he's already alienated half the dressing room with his 'continental football'. Still... What were Palace's board expecting? They were hardly stable last season, and bringing in a manager with such a distinct style of play was going to be hard to perfect within weeks.
As opposed to what, hoof it out the back and make it hard for them football? If we don't expect midtable teams to be able to pass and move at the very least, no wonder England is so shit at football.

Anyway, side note. Appalling from the board. If you sack a manager after 4 games that isn't the end of the matter, they should be held accountable as well.

Hope TFM is unaffected by this change and gets a good run in the team. Have heard good things about him.

Damien

Staff

Crystal Palace Football Club have this morning parted company with Frank de Boer.

We would like to thank Frank for his dedication and hard work during his time at the Club.

A new manager will be appointed in due course and we wish Frank the very best of luck for the future.

There will be no further comment at this time.

SATA

Not really worried if we are facing a Palace side with Hodgson as manager. A pity they have already faced the dippers once though

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Way too hasty. From what I saw of them yesterday, they were by far the better side, and the result was in no way down to him.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
People going on about TFM, Palace's first objective is to stop conceding goals. If TFM is a competent defender, which he is, then why shouldn't he be played? He has started every game this season and if they don't have anyone better to replace him, there is no reason to pull him out.

SATA

Maybe De Boer is only suitable for managing Dutch teams who can understand that style of football. Won't be surprised if he's brought in as Holland's assistant or something now

Damien

Staff
People going on about TFM, Palace's first objective is to stop conceding goals. If TFM is a competent defender, which he is, then why shouldn't he be played? He has started every game this season and if they don't have anyone better to replace him, there is no reason to pull him out.
Got a feeling Hodgson would go for something like

Ward Dann Sakho Schlupp

as a back four.

Sakho didn't play the last game so with him available, under Hodgson TFM's place isn't exactly assured.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I miss the days of him being Liverpool manager. Agent Woy will always be remembered. :lol:
He was the Johnno of football managers: "I have nine million years of experience," he'd warble after losing to Tesco Van Drivers XI.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
To be replaced by Hodgson ffs!!? The most they can realistically expect is 3 pts from the next 4 games.

Are they going to sack Hodgson if he loses the next 4??

Hope they go down now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As opposed to what, hoof it out the back and make it hard for them football? If we don't expect midtable teams to be able to pass and move at the very least, no wonder England is so shit at football.
Of course. But it's player motivations that lead to this. If players are already fed up and the dressing room is toxic, there's no much you can do, but get rid of the manager. I'm only assuming something like this happened, because losing the dressing room is typically what leads to the manager going in most cases in the PL.

R'hllor

Those in charge will get out of this clean, Parish will be invited in Sky and no one will ever question his failure in all of this.

When it comes to TFM, first two games will be indication of his minutes under new manager, who ever he is. We all know that in this situation usually managers go to safe options at least in their view, specially in defense. Also if TFM loses his spot, it will mean that new manager didnt watch Palace in last 4 games.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I'm bored of them now anyway, skin of the teeth cnuts.

Hopefully they get relegated.

Smores

You could argue that if there's background realisations that he just isn't the right fit then its better now than later. Bad hire

Deleted member 101472

Thought process 1:

The men in charge at Palace are idiots.

Thought process 2:

The men in charge at Palace deserve credit for realizing their mistake so soon and having the courage to cut their losses and try and rebuild.

Imagine current guardiola had taken over the Wimbledon crazy gang. De Boer was a square peg in a round hole with that squad.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Shocked by this. Thought he'd get more time.

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just wondering what will happen with Fosu now that de Boer has been sacked..

Watched Fosu yesterday playing with Palace against Burnley and he did not put a foot wrong..

He was calm at the back,and was at ease on the ball. Frank de Boer has complimented him this season on his performances so far...

He says he plans on primarily using Fosu-Mensah as a defender in a back three but says he could play in all three positions.

Timothy is a player who has great pace and incredible physical ability,’ said de Boer. In today’s game you need players with strength and speed and he is a player who can also play in midfield. I am seeing him in our system as a right centre-back but he can also play full-back in a 4-3-3.

He is still only 19 years old and has a great future. I hope the new manager of Palace plays him regularly as this is what he needs.

I followed Fosu when he played with the academy, and I remember saying to my mate, "This guy is one to watch"...

I still pick up on how he is doing out on loan with Palace this season...I really like him as a player and hope he gets his chance here when he returns...Well done young man...
Think a lot will depend on whether or not there's an option to recall him. I agree, from his and our perspectives, it's a shame the they've let de Boer go so quickly. Laughably so in fact. Hopefully whoever comes in sticks with him and allows him to develop rather than looking at him as symbolic of de Boer's failed reign (Dutch, young player, unlike the sort of player Palace would normally go for) and ease him out of the team. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be too surprised if this were to happen. It's pretty obvious that a club like them will just revert to the "tried and tested" rule of knee-jerk survival appointment.

Needham

What's the main Palace forum? Want to lurk and empathise/laugh at them.

Damien

Staff
Thought process 1:

The men in charge at Palace are idiots.

Thought process 2:

The men in charge at Palace deserve credit for realizing their mistake so soon and having the courage to cut their losses and try and rebuild.

Imagine current guardiola had taken over the Wimbledon crazy gang. De Boer was a square peg in a round hole with that squad.
Maybe if Parish hadn't gone into overdrive on twitter last night talking about sticking together. He looks like an arse now.

Thing is, in their next four league games they face United, Chelsea and City so not like they're likely to get anything from them. Will be a tough start for the new manager.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is fecking abysmal. I cannot believe we're firing managers four games in. I really struggle to understand it.

Bestietom

Think a lot will depend on whether or not there's an option to recall him. I agree, from his and our perspectives, it's a shame the they've let de Boer go so quickly. Laughably so in fact. Hopefully whoever comes in sticks with him and allows him to develop rather than looking at him as symbolic of de Boer's failed reign (Dutch, young player, unlike the sort of player Palace would normally go for) and ease him out of the team. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be too surprised if this were to happen. It's pretty obvious that a club like them will just revert to the "tried and tested" rule of knee-jerk survival appointment.
Gawd I really hope not @groovyalbert ... I hope whoever they get as manager sees him as a young player who wants game time to develop and plays him for his worth...He has been one of the Palace team who performed well each week so far, and deserves his place..

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
Of course. But it's player motivations that lead to this. If players are already fed up and the dressing room is toxic, there's no much you can do, but get rid of the manager. I'm only assuming something like this happened, because losing the dressing room is typically what leads to the manager going in most cases in the PL.
That happens everywhere though. Cheaper to replace the manage than the whole team...unless it's Arsenal in which case a squad clear out is on the cards.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Wasn't Pulis sacked/hasn't Pulis walked just a couple of games in too by the way?

Edit: nevermind, he walked before the second season even started.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

Maybe if Parish hadn't gone into overdrive on twitter last night talking about sticking together. He looks like an arse now.

Thing is, in their next four league games they face United, Chelsea and City so not like they're likely to get anything from them. Will be a tough start for the new manager.
Didn't see the tweets, but I suppose from his perspective he could just have been speaking futuristically, knowing the fate of de boer this morning?

Maybe the sacking was made with those games in mind too.

You just know that they are going to get a good result in one of those games though with the new manager effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.