De Gea considering retirement

Oranges038

If we bring him back for anything longer than just when the AFCON is on, we'll have totally undermined Onana.
If De Gea is at the club he's No1 as he's the better keeper.
I think this story is all BS. Onana has a couple of good games and all of a sudden Cuntstis comes out with this nonsense.

Bringing him back at all undermines Onana and the other keepers. The club let him go for a reason. There's absolutely no way he should be brought back in any capacity as a player now.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'd like to think that you are heavily in the minority, but what is concerning is that you probably are not.
Onana has been worse this season than anything De Gea served up. Even in his first season.

Was a big fan of moving on from De Gea, but the goalkeeper we've gone to isn't a good one.

putzmcgee123

I'd like to think that you are heavily in the minority, but what is concerning is that you probably are not.
100%. A significant number have been viewing de Gea through rose coloured glasses for years, based on performances from several managers ago.

Remember the geese

Onana has been worse this season than anything De Gea served up. Even in his first season.

Was a big fan of moving on from De Gea, but the goalkeeper we've gone to isn't a good one.
I disagree. Onana has made some big mistakes of course, but no different to anything that De Gea had been serving up. On top of that, arguably other than shot stopping, Onana is stronger than De Gea in every other department.

The only thing I will say is that due to injuries and a general lack of confidence throughout the side, we aren't seeing Onana showcase his full abilities right now. This is in contrast to the luxury that De Gea had last season, in spite of his glaring errors.

Smores

Given that top 4 is looking a big ask I wouldn't be surprised at this. We can't risk up to 8 games with Bayindir it could sink our season and cost us CL football/money.

Kostov

I'd have him back if we want him as some kind of a back up in an emergency situation. Otherwise what is the point of buying the turkish lad.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I disagree. Onana has made some big mistakes of course, but no different to anything that De Gea had been serving up. On top of that, arguably other than shot stopping, Onana is stronger than De Gea in every other department.

The only thing I will say is that due to injuries and a general lack of confidence throughout the side, we aren't seeing Onana showcase his full abilities right now. This is in contrast to the luxury that De Gea had last season, in spite of his glaring errors.
What are these other abilities that Onana possesses? Because he isn't demonstrating them. I'll grant he's played a handful of fabulous passes out from the GK position, but overall his distribution has actually been incredibly average.

I get that people wanna see him do well because he's new etc, but he's very very average. Many have already cottoned on and those giving him the benefit of the doubt will come around soon enough.

He won't see out 2024 as United's #1.

miked99

It's the sun. Nothing posted by a sun hack should ever be allowed on here.

Chairman Steve

It’s Custis and The Sun. Fairly likely to be bollocks anyway. He put 2 and 2 together once he saw him visiting Manchester.

Eriku

no i meant our backup signing that we apparently specifically targeted and spent more than we sold kovar for.
Fair enough, but having a backup goalie for the odd league cup match or short injury is different to knowing you’ll be doing without your first team goalie for a full month. I don’t think it’s that strange to entertain this idea.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Maybe De Gea will his backup while Onana is away.

Maybe the new guy turned out to be shite in training and Hag doesn't think he's up to the job.
Maybe. Or maybe ETH just doesn’t want to try new players incase they fail and it falls badly on him. He wants to go with the tried and tested.

Remember the geese

What are these other abilities that Onana possesses? Because he isn't demonstrating them. I'll grant he's played a handful of fabulous passes out from the GK position, but overall his distribution has actually been incredibly average.

I get that people wanna see him do well because he's new etc, but he's very very average. Many have already cottoned on and those giving him the benefit of the doubt will come around soon enough.

He won't see out 2024 as United's #1.
In my view, he isn't playing as proactively as he was during pre season/the beginning of this season. Purely from the eye test, Onana doesn't seem to be playing as high up the pitch and this therefore limits his participation and negates key qualities that he brings to the team from a tactical/stylistic point of view. Now, I don't know whether this is a tactical instruction from ten Hag in the midst of so many injuries (especially defensively), or if it is a lack of confidence from Onana that is leading to this passive approach.

As for your final sentence, every team that is successful all have the common trait of maximising their strengths, whilst minimising their weaknesses. At the moment, we are not playing in a way that makes the best use of our goalkeeper's strengths. Should we decide to change that, then Onana will be a success. Failing that, we will be seeing a reasonably average shot stopper, but with all of his quality attributes negated.

LDUred

We have to back Onana, not bin him off after a sketchy start by bringing back his predecessor.

Goalkeepers have tough starts, especially at big clubs in leagues like the Prem. There's more pressure, and more noise in the Premier League where every contested balls brings a huge reaction than in an echoing European bowl stadium with a huge athletics track around it. It will take a while for some of them to slot in and that may well be why Onana has looked so uncomfortable between the posts up till now.

The jury is out on him but having spent a good portion of our budget he deserves more time than is customary to bed in. We've got to take into consideration what he's up against and what he's been used to. Inter are a huge club, but there's still a massive difference between Serie A and playing against some nondescript side like Salernitana or Empoli. Every fixture in the Prem matters and for keepers the cauldron of noise that greets them is more intense.

Just lately, there have been signs that he's rising to the challenge. Give him time. He's shown bottle just recently and that penalty save could be the making of him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Makes sense. Ten Hag likes to sign players he's trained before, not long before we go for Ronaldo again.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That would be very silly...
Agreed. Just don’t understand why we’ve not seen him play even in the caraboa. It’s gonna be harder for him if he’s pushed in at the deep end and starts his first games as soon as Onana becomes unavailable.

RVN1991

Only way I see this happening is for him to get a proper send off and play a game or two at most but considering we have the Turkish lad and Heaton at the club already I don't see the point at all.

Jordi Cruyff 99

De Gea is not better than Onana.
It is genuinely bamboozling how anybody could come to this conclusion. I used to defend the Man Utd fanbase for years when people would take the piss out of it, but those were during the glory days. Since then, and having read this forum quite a bit, one really does see what these people were talking about.

David de Gea, a legendary goalkeeper, isn't better than Onana.

Bloody hell.

Wilt

After being on £375,000 per week ….he’s probably realistically looking at a 80% pay cut.

Don’t think he’d want to play for less than £150k per week and nobody would pay him that.

Cloudface

It is genuinely bamboozling how anybody could come to this conclusion. I used to defend the Man Utd fanbase for years when people would take the piss out of it, but those were during the glory days. Since then, and having read this forum quite a bit, one really does see what these people were talking about.

Bloody hell.
A legendary goalkeeper nobody wants to sign.

KeanoMagicHat

Bloody hell.
If United released Onana tomorrow, which player would be signed up first? I’m going for the guy that played in the CL final 4 months ago.

KD6-3.7

Although i'm skeptical about this, it's weird he hasn't signed up for anyone yet.
It really isn’t though. He wants far to much money because he was the highest payed GK in the world at United and the only place he gets that is in the Saudi league but also no matter how many on here say it isn’t as important but DDG is not suited to the modern game, with how the top European clubs play. You need to be at least decent passing out from the back and De Gea was pretty much atrocious at that and not enough people talk about his weak mentality because he bottled it loads of times on the big occasions.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Should go enjoy his life. A young father, probably with other passions too. Doesn’t strike me as a typical “football is all I know” player.

JB7

If United released Onana tomorrow, which player would be signed up first? I’m going for the guy that played in the CL final 4 months ago.
These people are completely off their heads, it's not even like there isn't a direct comparison of the two players being available. Onana was available on a free transfer in January 2022, by the 4th January he had had agreed terms and completed his medical with Inter. De Gea has been similarly available for clubs to approach since January of this year, and quite literally without any employer whatsoever since July, and he's still no closer to a club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
De Gea has been similarly available for clubs to approach since January of this year, and quite literally without any employer whatsoever since July, and he's still no closer to a club.
Granted, he won't be attractive for the top echelon of teams because of his limitations, but I refuse to believe there is zero interest from clubs below that level: he isn't that bad or outdated.

Either he has unrealistic ideas about what sort of team would be interested - or he has unrealistic wage demands.

(Or both, I suppose.)

USREDEVIL

It really isn’t though. He wants far to much money because he was the highest payed GK in the world at United and the only place he gets that is in the Saudi league but also no matter how many on here say it isn’t as important but DDG is not suited to the modern game, with how the top European clubs play. You need to be at least decent passing out from the back and De Gea was pretty much atrocious at that and not enough people talk about his weak mentality because he bottled it loads of times on the big occasions.
I assumed he would lower his demands until he has some reasonable options. Seems like he's not very motivated.