De Gea considering retirement

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Onana has been worse this season than anything De Gea served up. Even in his first season.
That's certainly not true. De Gea's last few months of 18/19 were clearly worse than Onana has been (from memory he was directly at fault for something like 7 goals in the last 7 games and was the main reason we missed CL qualification), and there have been numerous other periods in the last five years where he's been at a similar level if not worse.

Onana's start has been disappointing, but not as bad as some are making out. The hope is that it's just a small blip at the start of his time here and he'll improve rapidly (hopefully we're already seeing the signs these last couple of games). He'd hardly be the first keeper who took a couple of months to get going.

PSV

That's certainly not true. De Gea's last few months of 18/19 were clearly worse than Onana has been (from memory he was directly at fault for something like 7 goals in the last 7 games and was the main reason we missed CL qualification), and there have been numerous other periods in the last five years where he's been at a similar level if not worse.

Onana's start has been disappointing, but not as bad as some are making out. The hope is that it's just a small blip at the start of his time here and he'll improve rapidly (hopefully we're already seeing the signs these last couple of games). He'd hardly be the first keeper who took a couple of months to get going.
We score 7 goals in the last 9 games and De Gea is the main reason we missed CL qualification. Okay... Let's ignore the fact our offensive players looked like they were sporting snowshoes.

Also, feel free to find me those 7 goals he was at fault for. You won't even get close.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We score 7 goals in the last 9 games and De Gea is the main reason we missed CL qualification. Okay... Let's ignore the fact our offensive players looked like they were sporting snowshoes.

Also, feel free to find me those 7 goals he was at fault for. You won't even get close.
Southampton - Should have saved the first.
Arsenal - At fault for the first.
Watford - Not at fault
Wolves - At fault for their second when he chickened out of contact instead of actually going for the ball like most keepers would.
West Ham - Arguable, but perhaps could have done better for their goal.
Everton - Terrible footwork and reactions to be beaten for their second goal, a shot from 30 yards where he doesn't move until it's past him when it's actually quite close.
City - Poor positioning and movement to be easily beaten at the near post for their first goal, maybe a little harsh. Definitely at fault for their second.
Chelsea - was at fault for their goal.
Huddersfield - not at fault
Cardiff - not at fault

So not quite the 7 in 7 that I vaguely remembered, but close enough. I'd probably give him a pass for the West Ham one, but it's still 7 in 10 games. That's also not including his attempt against Messi in the CL during that same period (pretty much identical to Onana's howler for Bayern's first).

Meanwhile using the same standards, I'd say Onana is at fault for Forest's first, Brighton's third, Bayern's first, Galatasaray's 3rd goal, and Brentford's goal. So 5 in 13 games. Poor, but certainly not as bad as De Gea's was at the end of 18/19.

Trequarista10

Southampton - Should have saved the first.
Arsenal - At fault for the first.
Watford - Not at fault
Wolves - At fault for their second when he chickened out of contact instead of actually going for the ball like most keepers would.
West Ham - Arguable, but perhaps could have done better for their goal.
Everton - Terrible footwork and reactions to be beaten for their second goal, a shot from 30 yards where he doesn't move until it's past him when it's actually quite close.
City - Poor positioning and movement to be easily beaten at the near post for their first goal, maybe a little harsh. Definitely at fault for their second.
Chelsea - was at fault for their goal.
Huddersfield - not at fault
Cardiff - not at fault

So not quite the 7 in 7 that I vaguely remembered, but close enough. I'd probably give him a pass for the West Ham one, but it's still 7 in 10 games. That's also not including his attempt against Messi in the CL during that same period (pretty much identical to Onana's howler for Bayern's first).

Meanwhile using the same standards, I'd say Onana is at fault for Forest's first, Brighton's third, Bayern's first, Galatasaray's 3rd goal, and Brentford's goal. So 5 in 13 games. Poor, but certainly not as bad as De Gea's was at the end of 18/19.
I largely agree with you. Only thing I'd add is that De Gea, even when he was in one of his (increasingly common) runs of poor form where he was making big mistakes, he could also pull out some ridiculous saves that very few keepers are capable of making. Without that ability to produce the unexpected miracle saves that Dave pulled out frequently, there's more emphasis on Onana needing to be consistent and solid to have a similar net contribution. Hopefully the penalty save is a turning point for him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yes DDG played a big part in that. He was woeful during that period and was the start of his decline

Heardy

See him posting on IG clips of himself in training. Whilst I think we were right to move him on, it’s mental he’s not found another club.

Seems ridiculous he’d go from United No.1 to retiring….

mu4c_20le

See him posting on IG clips of himself in training. Whilst I think we were right to move him on, it’s mental he’s not found another club.

I'm the opposite, I think more people should be like Scholesy Gaz or even Cantona, and just feck off into the sunset when they think they're done, instead of dragging out their careers at lower levels.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Wages.

Even at 10% of what he was previously earning at United, he'd be pricing himself out of most top division clubs.

Dan_F

Wages.

Even at 10% of what he was previously earning at United, he'd be pricing himself out of most top division clubs.
£30k a week? I would imagine most back up keepers earn more than that in the Premier League.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wages.

It's up to him what money he will or won't accept. Seems mad that someone who has earned as much money as him over the years would turn down moves to any half decent club, just because they won't break their wage structure to sign him. Isn't his other half independently wealthy as well?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
£30k a week? I would imagine most back up keepers earn more than that in the Premier League.
Possibly, but the PL is very much the exception. IIRC, last I checked there are only 3 or 4 keepers who make more than that in La Liga.

It's up to him what money he will or won't accept. Seems mad that someone who has earned as much money as him over the years would turn down moves to any half decent club, just because they won't break their wage structure to sign him. Isn't his other half independently wealthy as well?
To be fair, I don't know if that's the only reason he hasn't signed anywhere. Maybe at this stage in his career he's just not very gung-ho about continuing unless the right opportunity opens up.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Possibly, but the PL is very much the exception. IIRC, last I checked there are only 3 or 4 keepers who make more than that in La Liga.

To be fair, I don't know if that's the only reason he hasn't signed anywhere. Maybe at this stage in his career he's just not very gung-ho about continuing unless the right opportunity opens up.
I've read he only wants to play in Spain now.

Marching On!

I’m amazed Saudi haven’t come calling.

Edit - Just seen the above message, that’ll be why then.

Varun1

I'm the opposite, I think more people should be like Scholesy Gaz or even Cantona, and just feck off into the sunset when they think they're done, instead of dragging out their careers at lower levels.
Agree mostly with the above. But Scholes did come out of retirement.

fps

Like so many other Man Utd players, he's made so much money out of his wage at the club, while fulfilling his professional duties but doing nothing more, that he hasn't got the stomach to go again. If he's gone soft, at least he's going to retire, unlike half the squad still at United rinsing the club for wages they don't deserve.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Which seems even more odd considering he still lives in Manchester by all accounts
Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but we did have a good five or so years where it was constantly reported that his girlfriend/wife wanted to move back to Spain.

Wilt

Thought he had already retired ….obvious nobody was ever going to pay him what he wanted

K Stand Knut

Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but we did have a good five or so years where it was constantly reported that his girlfriend/wife wanted to move back to Spain.
He’s clearly not that bothered about either playing or moving back to Spain.

I’m not aware of any change in his relationship status so it appears that they are both living separate lives completely

tomaldinho1

Thought he had already retired ….obvious nobody was ever going to pay him what he wanted
I think it said a lot when Real turned him down as a free agent when Courtois did his cruciate, he's either deluded and asking for insane money or nobody wants him.

G3079

Supports
Nobody in particular
Which seems even more odd considering he still lives in Manchester by all accounts
He maybe just wants to avoid uprooting the family twice in short order, and rather waits in place to then move near his workplace if and when he found a club? Because chances are, wherever he might have moved to in Spain, he might have had to move again to be close enough to commute to the club he joins. Pushing that back until he's signed the paperwork with the new club would be understandable, especially with an infant in the picture.

As for him not having a new club yet... I don't really want to speculate. Sure, it looks weird that he didn't find someplace in a summer transfer window that was very active in the goalkeeping department, but it is what it is, if he didn't find a club he liked. He certainly doesn't have monetary pressure to keep playing unless he was a lot more irresponsible with his earnings than I had pegged him for.
Hell, I could even respect if he decided that he wanted to be there for wive and kid at the time. Nothing wrong with that.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Agree mostly with the above. But Scholes did come out of retirement.
Why though? I think it’s cool if players still enjoy playing and do it as long as possible. Why would you retire if you still want to and can play the game?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not even been a full season.... Lord forbid the guy would want or appreciate some time out after being at United for over a decade....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rather bemusing that a Spaniard would elect to stay in Manchester, England over going home. He really must've made some solid ties here during his time.

Then again, when you're that rich 'home' is wherever you feel like for the upcoming weeks/months, so maybe it's just one of many bases for him during his... gap year.

Todd

He should team up with Messi & co in MLS. He'd immediately be the best keeper in the league, he'd get to enjoy living in Miami, and the job would be pretty easy.

Or, just retire and enjoy a long life of luxury with his family.

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
Rather bemusing that a Spaniard would elect to stay in Manchester, England over going home. He really must've made some solid ties here during his time.

Then again, when you're that rich 'home' is wherever you feel like for the upcoming weeks/months, so maybe it's just one of many bases for him during his... gap year.
Meh, not everybody loves relentless sunshine. I'm more of a rain person.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Meh, not everybody loves relentless sunshine. I'm more of a rain person.
He's Spanish! :p Maybe we picked up the one Spaniard who was supposed to be a cast member in Twilight who somehow prefers our inclement weather to his homeland?

But he does buck the notion that these players are all here for a payday and are off the moment they're done playing! Makes him more endearing to me as it really seems like he now feels like he has roots in the country, or certainly enough to not sell up and be on his way.

Sylar

He's Spanish! :p Maybe we picked up the one Spaniard who was supposed to be a cast member in Twilight who somehow prefers our inclement weather to his homeland?

But he does buck the notion that these players are all here for a payday and are off the moment they're done playing! Makes him more endearing to me as it really seems like he now feels like he has roots in the country, or certainly enough to not sell up and be on his way.
It's hard to agree fully on this. It said a lot Madrid took Kepa rather than him as a free agent.
Let's be generous and say he was on 300k (rather than the reported 375k).

50% cut in wages would still make him the highest paid keeper in the league and about 8th highest in the world.

It will be interesting to see his next move. He's done the videos before which was showcasing him and it didn't result in a team getting him / him accepting a team.

If he wants to play at a top team he really has to not care about money and take something like 100k. But I don't see many teams needing a keeper
So as a second choice it would be even less.

Regardless hope he gets a team and interested to see how he does / whether he's first choice, etc

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't believe he's either not been able to find a club, or decided to have a year off. It's a limited career, and surely he can find someone decent to take him?

Maybe he simply doesn't want to go from the stupid United money to a "mere" 50-100k a week or something? Although his current wage is 0.

Chairman Steve

A whole season without playing football and not being injured seems like a bit of career killer. Football moves pretty fast. You can’t really take sabbaticals as a player due to how cut-throat and competitive it all is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Is there a Spanish Wrexham he can join?

Is he strictly set on Spain or will Portugal do?

Is he willing to work for less than €200k a week?