De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If he goes this summer after months of playing hardball with Madrid and we don't have time to get a quality replacement in, we will look like absolute mugs.

DevilRed

Going to be tough to replace him. Hugo Lloris will be almost impossible to obtain from spuds.

Don't know much about Romero but he seems more a backup for a club of our stature.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If he goes this summer after months of playing hardball with Madrid and we don't have time to get a quality replacement in, we will look like absolute mugs.
If he goes we'll get Navas in exchange. Van Gaal rates him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We need to sell him as quick as possible. Train Valdes, Lindegaard or Romero for next week against Spurs and get a new goalie in the next 2/3 weeks

Navas had a great World Cup but then get benched for a year, so very hard to judge his real level, and what are his real qualities. Whether he's lightning quick (Fergie described De Gea like this) or commanding outside his area. I can’t really say that he’s a bad choice, but I can’t say that he’s level to De Gea and we won’t miss him.

Barcelona lost Valdes, but replaced him with two good keepers who fitted their philosophy and the League’s particularity. English game is faster, harder and with more crosses than Spanish, so it’s always difficult to know if a goalie will fit.

A lot of people are rating Bernd Leno, but for the same reason, we can’t know if he’s really that awesome.

Hugo Lloris will be, for me, the "less worse" choice possible. He knows the League, he has some of the same qualities as De Gea, on his line, velocity… If we can manage to get him and a good center back, it will be like keeping De Gea and no center backs. Lloris is weaker than David, but more protected can provide the same quality.

It would be very difficult to get him from Spurs, but he wants to come, he told Lequipe twice this summer that he was monitoring De Gea’s situation before making it clear to Levy his intention to leave. He was for sure ready to force a move so as long as we have the time to negotiate with the Devil Levy, it should be ok.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We simply cannot give in now. We'll be a laughing stock, especially after the Ramos debacle.
We have to move on as quickly as possible. Forget about De Ge be thankful for the 4 years he gaved us, getting 25M/30M€ and sign another number one as soon as possible.

We're now to close to the first game, and we are too weak behind when Chelsea and City are stable enough and Arsenal got stronger here. We lost too many times hoping for a miracle from Madrid. It won't happen and I hope that we can solve this situation with Di Maria and De Gea and focusing only on what matter the most, the Spurs game

Name Changed

weso26
We have to move on as quickly as possible. Forget about De Ge be thankful for the 4 years he gaved us, getting 25M/30M€ and sign another number one as soon as possible.

We're now to close to the first game, and we are too weak behind when Chelsea and City are stable enough and Arsenal got stronger here. We lost too many times hoping for a miracle from Madrid. It won't happen and I hope that we can solve this situation with Di Maria and De Gea and focusing only on what matter the most, the Spurs game
I respectfully disagree. We can't be bullied by Real Madrid. They want our best player and are not willing to hand us over anybody in return. They won't realistically even pay a proper fee. It's not as if we need the money. DDG was worth 30m last year for what he did? He'll be the same this season if we keep him.

Name Changed

weso26
Going to be tough to replace him. Hugo Lloris will be almost impossible to obtain from spuds.

Don't know much about Romero but he seems more a backup for a club of our stature.
Lloris is the only one who can fill the gloves of DDG in my opinion. If Navas, Romero or Cillessen become our new number one then it is a massive drop in quality.

Treble

I respectfully disagree. We can't be bullied by Real Madrid. They want our best player and are not willing to hand us over anybody in return. They won't realistically even pay a proper fee. It's not as if we need the money. DDG was worth 30m last year for what he did? He'll be the same this season if we keep him.
Well, that's far from obvious. He's a professional but...Besides, losing him for free next summer wouldn't be less painful. We have to move on and quickly. Playing hardball may be counterproductive in certain situations.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People are far too concerned about our image and how we will look now if we sell him. Screw that IMO, if there are any doubts about his commitment then just sell him and get the best replacement possible. In the end rebuilding our team matters far more than this image crap

Devil may care

We've come this far, it's too late now to sell him, if we do we'll be stuck with shite like Romero or Cillessen in goal, and this idea of taking money and Madrid's cast-off #2 who is crap in the air makes no sense.

hobbers

selling him at this stage of the window would be suicidal. The only right time would have been the 1st of fecking June.

I'd hope that Woody will realise that you simply cant sell De Gea and Di Maria in the same window unless you want to concede club status and a chance at winning anything before a ball has even been kicked. Unless you go and unveil Ronaldo on the same day.

Di Maria is clearly spineless and not particularly bothered about his football career, he just wants a comfortable life. It's obvious that if we keep him against his will he'll be utterly useless to us as he was in the second half of last season. De Gea on the other hand has close friends in the squad and his place in the national team at stake this season. You'd hope he'd have the decency to apply himself.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he wants to leave we need to stop this agonizing situation because our pre season morale getting constantly f*cked up by a certain group of players that doesn't even have the desire to play for this club, not to mention some of them doesn't have the pure ability.

Everyone who worked in a group should know how that kind of situation can suck the life out of everything.

Spoony

The People's President
He's offski then? I'd make sure he stays though, and let him move on a free next summer. Who knows he may even change has mind over the course of the season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Hugo Lloris ... was for sure ready to force a move so as long as we have the time to negotiate with the Devil Levy, it should be ok.
This is complete nonsense. Lloris won't try and force a move - he's been made club captain and has committed to playing for Spurs this season. In any case, with the new season nearly upon us there is zero chance that Levy would contemplate selling him at this stage, especially not to a team that we face first up.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
I'd hope that Woody will realise that you simply cant sell De Gea and Di Maria in the same window unless you want to concede club status and a chance at winning anything before a ball has even been kicked. Unless you go and unveil Ronaldo on the same day.
I hear you. It doesn't look good and it doesn't feel good. But I trust that Woodward is in for the long haul and that within the next 5 years, as our revenues and his skills grow, that we will build the best squad in the world - a squad of players who want to play here long-term with the right mentality. There may be some painful times between then and now, but we will get there. Our club was vulnerable for a short time and we are still feeling the effects now. I don't expect it to last as Woodward gains the upper hand on agents and we shape our scouting and recruitment policies.

Let's start with getting a nice plaque for his office that reads "No more favors for Jorge Mendes".

Sam

Played like someone who was desperate to not get injured. Pulled out of every 50/50 when sweeping off his line.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I cant believe that some of you are quite amenable to seeing our best player (by a big margin), leave the club.
We should be fighting tooth and nail to keep this guy for another year.
He is a player who can play like no other and I have no doubt that even against his will, he will put in MOTM performance for us, this year and will likely be our best player, once again.

When Madrid sell their best players, they seem to ask around £60M. When we sell our best player, we should accept a fraction of that?
When Ramos says that he wants to leave, a few weeks later we hear that he is signing a new contract.
When De Gea says he wants to leave, we immediately pull our pants down and bend over?

Sorry guys, but even thinking of letting De Gea go this Summer should be out of the question.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No chance we should be selling unless we get Ramos in return. Letting our goalkeeper go on top of not signing a defender should be out of the question.

Roboc7

The whole stand off with Madrid involving de gea and Ramos just seems pointless the outcome will inevitably leave us as the only losers. Ramos was nevertheless owing to come here, de gea will join madrid before the window shuts for a lot less than we want for him.

We are therefore starting the season without a new cb and will end up spending most or all of what we get for de gea in someone who is much worse and massively over priced like cillessen.

Not too fussed about how he played last night, most of the team looked like they wanted the tour to be over and it showed in how the team played.

ghagua

Just my feeling, but i can't shake off the nagging thought that the manager may have something to do with De Gea wanting out. Just the way he speaks about De Gea seems like he does not give a feck if he leaves.

mexos

Academy player
Just my feeling, but i can't shake off the nagging thought that the manager may have something to do with De Gea wanting out. Just the way he speaks about De Gea seems like he does not give a feck if he leaves.
the contract situation with de gea has been known for a long while, so lvg probably knew for a good while back that de gea wanted out, treating him as such.

Jacob

Please, stop assuming the worst all the time. De Gea won't leave unless LvG and Woodward agree to it, and they won't do so unless they're satisfied with the offer. This is not blackmailing.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Probably already been said but here's my thoughts; LVG should of flown to seen DDG over the summer and put his arm around him (metaphorically, not an actual headlock), tell him to sign a deal and give us another year, which will keep the fans happy and the press quiet. We could have time to find a replacement and DDG could have his move for good money next summer as long as his performances continue.

Instead the club suffer the most as it is now. If he stays the circus will continue all season and if he leaves we are weakened.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Probably already been said but here's my thoughts; LVG should of flown to seen DDG over the summer and put his arm around him (metaphorically, not an actual headlock), tell him to sign a deal and give us another year, which will keep the fans happy and the press quiet. We could have time to find a replacement and DDG could have his move for good money next summer as long as his performances continue.

Instead the club suffer the most as it is now. If he stays the circus will continue all season and if he leaves we are weakened.
I'm sure he's had an 'arm' around him from various club personnel. But from before LVG's time he didn't want to sign - no matter what we did. He set his sights on Madrid a long time ago - probably before he came here it seems to me. Did everything to make Madrid's position stronger and didn't give a feck if our club lost out in the process. Now we should continue giving him everything he wants and continue kissing his ass? I'm frankly not surprised if no one in charge at the club feels so inclined at this point.

Devil may care

I am starting to feel that LvG wants him to go now if he wont sign, so he can get his shitty Dutch keeper in and dress it up as being more settled. In reality all it will do is leave us even weaker at the back than we already are.

De Gea is a pro and he wants that National starting spot for Spain next summer, he'll deliver for us next season even if he is a little annoyed at not getting his move, there should be no concern about that. Keeping him could be the difference between getting top 4 and not as the defense is no better than last year and our attack is still nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.