De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexUTD

Does not accept another contract that makes him the best paid goalkeeper in the world yet again. Does not accept after he played shit all year and some of his errors did not help us get 4th.

So tired of this shit now,he can feck off for all i care.

Silas

Maybe it's not about money, maybe he's tired of this mess and wants to play out his last few peak years in the CL and fighting for some trophies, instead on languishing around 6th place for the last 6 years?
Should hand in a transfer request then.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What an odd situation.

A brilliant player - best shot-stopper I personally have ever seen - stuck with us for one reason or another through a very rough patch wherein many of us admitted that as a player, he probably deserved better.

But then his form this season has been atrocious, the tail-end was just unbelievable. You could legitimately say I think that if two or three of those errors don't happen, we make top four.

To add to this hes picking now to try and bend us over a barrel wage-wise? Regardless of previous sentiment that just doesn't sit well with me.

I think given the way he plays he's unlikely to be a great keeper in his thirties. Once that shot-stopping is out the window I'd say he's pretty poor in fact, unless he can reinvent his game.

It's a tough one, but for me on balance I think he should be sold - if he refuses to sign a new deal this summer.

Henderson looks bright, I don't particularly rate Romero as a #1 but maybe with a vastly improved back line he'd do for a season.

Either way I think long term we're either looking at keeping a lesser De Gea once hes into his thirties (just a guess of course), or we replace ahead of time.

Tough one.
Totally agree. I think people overrated him when they compare him to Schmeichel and VDS. He is a brilliant shot-stopper with brilliant reflex, but that's about it. Take away that, like this season has shown, he is indeed very average or even poor.

humdinger

I like DDG and think he’s still quality but he clearly doesn’t want to be here. Sick of all the contract / transfer drama with him. End negotiations and let him go.

OleGunnar20

Totally agree. I think people overrated him when they compare him to Schmeichel and VDS. He is a brilliant shot-stopper with brilliant reflex, but that's about it. Take away that, like this season has shown, he is indeed very average or even poor.
Yknow it's odd - I would say he's at the same level as Schmeichel and VDS weirdly enough, he's just a very different keeper.

Perfect for a team with a paper thin defence, constantly active throughout the game (I'm thinking Ole's first game against Spurs here as a prime example). He excels when under consistent pressure, or at least, he did when in top form.

On the other hand VDS & Schmeichel were far more commanding players, who complimented a solid defence where much of their role was organising / clearing out the box from high balls etc, as opposed to straight up acrobatics.

So I think he was the perfect keeper to excel during our gradual decline into the state we're in now. Is he the perfect keeper for our - hopefully - successfully rebuilt side and rise back up to where we should be? I'd say probably not.

Having said that, were he to rethink his position and sign a sensible deal, I'd be all for him staying. Loan out Hendo and see how he develops, maybe even sell with a buy-back as he looks too big a talent both in terms of his ability and mentality to just let go of.

Loyalty does go both ways for me, while we need to set a new precident with regards ridiculous contracts.

I still hope he signs but honestly don't see it being the end of the world were he to leave, as long as we rebuild our defence properly this time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yknow it's odd - I would say he's at the same level as Schmeichel and VDS weirdly enough, he's just a very different keeper.

Perfect for a team with a paper thin defence, constantly active throughout the game (I'm thinking Ole's first game against Spurs here as a prime example). He excels when under consistent pressure, or at least, he did when in top form.

On the other hand VDS & Schmeichel were far more commanding players, who complimented a solid defence where much of their role was organising / clearing out the box from high balls etc, as opposed to straight up acrobatics.

So I think he was the perfect keeper to excel during our gradual decline into the state we're in now. Is he the perfect keeper for our - hopefully - successfully rebuilt side and rise back up to where we should be? I'd say probably not.

Having said that, were he to rethink his position and sign a sensible deal, I'd be all for him staying. Loan out Hendo and see how he develops, maybe even sell with a buy-back as he looks too big a talent both in terms of his ability and mentality to just let go of.

Loyalty does go both ways for me, while we need to set a new precident with regards ridiculous contracts.

I still hope he signs but honestly don't see it being the end of the world were he to leave, as long as we rebuild our defence properly this time.
Yes but I've seen many keeper usually performs better in weaker side, would fail to do so in bigger side. The reason could be because they have more chances to make more saves and look more impressive in a game when they are playing in a weaker side. While at a stronger side, its harder to remain focus throughout the game while being less engaged, but still able make a world class save out of nowhere from opponents in rare moments. This is where Schmeichel and VDS are very good at, but not so for De Gea.

Remember Bosnich, who is great shot-stopper and was outstanding when playing for Aston Villa, but happened to be quite poor for us and flopped, when our side usually dominate in games back in those days. I wonder same goes for De Gea, who is a great player in an average side, but for Spain, which a far more dominant side, he looks pretty average there over the years.

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

Yes but I've seen many keeper usually performs better in weaker side, would fail to do so in bigger side. The reason could be because they have more chances to make more saves and look more impressive in a game when they are playing in a weaker side. While at a stronger side, its harder to remain focus throughout the game while being less engaged, but still able make a world class save out of nowhere from opponents in rare moments. This is where Schmeichel and VDS are very good at, but not so for De Gea.

Remember Bosnich, who is great shot-stopper and was outstanding when playing for Aston Villa, but happened to be quite poor for us and flopped, when our side usually dominate in games back in those days. I wonder same goes for De Gea, who is a great player in an average side, but for Spain, which a far more dominant side, he looks pretty average there over the years.
Agreed.

He was perfect for a team on the back foot, I'm unsure how well suited he is to a more dominant, solid side.

Having said that, ideally id still like him to stay - assuming a reasonable wage can be agreed upon.

We already have (in my opinion) at least 6 starting spots which need to be improved upon before we can challenge for major honours (depressing that that's an optimistic estimation), last thing we need is to throw a new keeper on top of things.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
With Henderson and Romero we have 2 very good keepers. So if a good offer comes in and he insists on crazy money, we should cash in

Sereques

Who's going to pay more for a goalkeeper who's lost all confidence and has one year left? Be realistic
Do you think Madrid will sell a player of that caliber for £50M regardless of confidence level or contract?

Siddharth

Maybe it's not about money, maybe he's tired of this mess and wants to play out his last few peak years in the CL and fighting for some trophies, instead on languishing around 6th place for the last 6 years?
This argument works only if he takes a wage cut and goes to clubs like PSG, Juventus, Bayern, clubs where he is guaranteed to win trophies. I personally think it is about his age also, this extension could be his last big payday.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
What an odd situation.

A brilliant player - best shot-stopper I personally have ever seen - stuck with us for one reason or another through a very rough patch wherein many of us admitted that as a player, he probably deserved better.

But then his form this season has been atrocious, the tail-end was just unbelievable. You could legitimately say I think that if two or three of those errors don't happen, we make top four.

To add to this hes picking now to try and bend us over a barrel wage-wise? Regardless of previous sentiment that just doesn't sit well with me.

I think given the way he plays he's unlikely to be a great keeper in his thirties. Once that shot-stopping is out the window I'd say he's pretty poor in fact, unless he can reinvent his game.

It's a tough one, but for me on balance I think he should be sold - if he refuses to sign a new deal this summer.

Henderson looks bright, I don't particularly rate Romero as a #1 but maybe with a vastly improved back line he'd do for a season.

Either way I think long term we're either looking at keeping a lesser De Gea once hes into his thirties (just a guess of course), or we replace ahead of time.

Tough one.
Whos to say he cannot adjust his game to compensate not having super quick reflexes anymore and be less reliant on them?He's still young enough to be part of a rebuilt team if he chooses to stick around and we get our sh!t together.

Keefy18

Whos to say he cannot adjust his game to compensate not having super quick reflexes anymore and be less reliant on them?He's still young enough to be part of a rebuilt team if he chooses to stick around and we get our sh!t together.
He isn't magically going to find his voice and learn how to command his back line out of the blue. We've seen his skill set to date and I don't see how it suddenly changes.

He's a world class shot stopper, that isn't in doubt.

But the rest is very questionable at best. He's never once commanded his back line, he doesn't dominate his area at all. These are personality traits, you have to be vocal and confident to do this and he looks terrified and comes across as a very quiet person.

Get young talent

Why are we accepting his game ?

He can be the best paid GK in the world if he accept the contract.

We didn't drop him after all his mistakes.

To me it's proof that we love him and want him to stay, but if that is not enought than sell him fast.

Ask athletico for a swap with oblak
Or
Ask real for a swap of de gea and pogba for varane, courtois + cash
Or
Ask juv for a swap of de gea for Costa + cash

We need to stop wasting time and take the hard decision now.
We need to get the new players in now to offload the deadwood as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Will be best paid keeper out there and still isn’t happy. We need lads who want to be here and hungry.

We’ve turned into a pension club. Get you high contract and stick it out. Dave has been a fantastic servant and one of the best we’ve had. But the contract talk clearly got to him and he had a rotten run-in. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

I love the guy, but realistically he’s trying to milk as much as he can or force his way out as we won’t meet his demands. Not the type of player we want here right now.

Enigma_87

You know who
and lose the loyalty bonuses ? Never going to happen, better to force the club to sell him by not signing
His recent form works in our favor.

Who would want him on the back of underwhelming season, considering almost all teams have already 50m+ goalkeepers?

The only negative is that he can very well run his contract down and leave next year for a fat bonus at a club like PSG.

Kostov

This argument works only if he takes a wage cut and goes to clubs like PSG, Juventus, Bayern, clubs where he is guaranteed to win trophies. I personally think it is about his age also, this extension could be his last big payday.
He won't get a wage cut after moving for a small fee (if he moves now while having 1 year remaining on contract) or if he moves next year for free. And yes I agree it should be his last deal while on his peak so of course he would want the best possible contract.

ArjenIsM3

Coming from that Reddit ITK Spoofex:

Ok I've had it confirmed by two others what tomorrow is about:

David De Gea has refused to sign a new deal and will leave.

I doubt I will get many more updates than this tomorrow. The meeting tomrrow is supposedly very much "Woodward, Ole and a couple of others".

humdinger

Apparently we are waiting for him to decide whether he’ll accept the very generous contract we’ve offered? He’s had the offer for a year now reportedly, and if he hadn’t signed by now he probably won’t ever. He is clearly not committed and ended the season playing terribly so we should take the matter back into our own hands and get rid of the speculation and uncertainty - either make him available for transfer or tell him he has to stick it out for a year until his contract expires, during which time he will end up on the bench of his performances don’t greatly improve.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A year ago I'd have been distraught at the idea of him leaving. Based on his form in the 2nd half of the season, I don't really care now. Bring Henderson back. Let Romero and Henderson fight for the #1 shirt.

IrishRedDevil

Who would buy him? PSG?

Due to his contract situation we will probably only get £20m.

What a sad ending, considering he was our best player for about 5 years.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We all love and appreciate what he's done with us, but like others say - if he wants to leave then sell him this summer. No point him being here half assing it again.

We could get 40m + this summer or risk losing him for nothing next year. If he hasn't committed by now he clearly isn't going too.

If him and his agent are asking for 400k a week then get rid. He's a fantastic keeper but let's use that money to STOP our keeper working so hard in the first place.

OleGunnar20

Absolutely. Hopefully that's how this all pans out.

dev1l

I think him and Herrera realised that next season we will be building a team (and most probably not being in a position to challenge seriously) and decided to part ways. (Just my opinion)
Henderson looks promising,he reminds me a bit of Gary Bailey) but we ll have to see how he copes with the pressure of playing in MU goal. My impression is that the club prefers, he plays next season with SU in PL. We LL have to wait and see

Brophs

The One and Only
His big problem is that Woodward will be crunching the numbers on his pocket calculator knowing that cost of keeping him for 5 years, at which time his resale value will be low, will be something like £100m (£400k p/w = £20m a season).

The cost of Onana, or some other goalie will likely be something like £40m, the cost of which would, I imagine, be entirely offset by the sale of DDG, plus something like another £40m over 5 years (at around £150k p/w). At which time you still have a good resale value.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Are there any brilliant keepers in the championship we can replace him with?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Are there any brilliant keepers in the championship we can replace him with?
How about one who just helped his team get promoted to the PL? Like this Henderson chap who happens to be a Utd player?

Get the best GK coach out there and let this kid have a go.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How about one who just helped his team get promoted to the PL? Like this Henderson chap who happens to be a Utd player?

Get the best GK coach out there and let this kid have a go.
I don't mind having romero, Joel and him competing for a first team place

hubbuh

With the primary incentive for him staying here is us paying him £300k plus a week? If his heart isn’t in it anymore then it’s best for both parties we part ways now, while he still has a year left on his contract.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I don't mind having romero, Joel and him competing for a first team place
Yeah. Improve the defence and midfield and I'm happy to leave the goal keeping issue out of our transfer plans this season.

Keefy18

Wonderful, pinning £16m plus wages per annum on hope.

Lets hope he changes his game, lets hope he continues to perform to a world class level having done so.

Why risk so much money on hope?

He's shown signs over the last 18 months that his abilities are actually on the wain. He's always been completely dependent on his reflexes and its not looking good the last while. .

It's not a coincidence either that many of the errors he is making are similar, long distance efforts and poor reflexes.

MUFC OK

Poorly formatted post
tHat DaYvuD Dgear CaN get LosT bcK tO SpAyn, WhAts He eVeR doNe foR uS?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The Onana stories are leaked to put pressure on him. Likely to be a favour from a journalist or journalists to move the needle.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The best case scenario is that we convince him to stay here for this reason and leave on a free. This allows us to focus on other areas in the transfer market and meanwhile see how Henderson performs in the PL for Sheffield United. If we feel he's good enough he starts as our no. 1 for the 20/21 season otherwise we splash the cash on a new GK next summer. It also allows DDG to redeem himself after a horrible season and hopefully leave on a better note than this.

Selling DDG now makes no sense as at best he'd fetch us 70-75 million and we'll end up spending a major part of that anyway on a replacement. I don't think we are gonna throw Henderson straight away as no. 1 without any PL experience and Romero hasn't been a regular first choice keeper for almost 5 years now.

Keefy18

tHat DaYvuD Dgear CaN get LosT bcK tO SpAyn, WhAts He eVeR doNe foR uS?
He's done plenty, but he made a personal choice to refuse contracts put before him and bank on his abilities in return of a better deal.

In the mean time, his abilities have dropped off a cliff the last 12-15 months at least, he's coming off the back of the clubs worst defensive displays since the early 70s, with De Gea a large part of that blame.

The club has missed its minimum target of CL qualification, finances taken a hit now and players shouldn't be rewarded for mediocrity from the preceding season.

That's the risk he took and now has to make a decision. Take the offer on the table or move on. If he's doing what Ander done and running the deal down we need to take a hard stance and basically force him out of the club to make something back on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.