De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fix a deadline for him to accept the offer. The idea we should give him and his agents whatever they want is ridiculous.

SteveW

Bang on the money. We lost Herrera unecessarily because of this, which creates a big problem for us. We should have sorted Dave and Ander out before handing Sanchez a ludicrous contract.
If he demands were too high what difference would timing have made?

crossy1686

career ending
Are we ready to let him go yet? He's using the fact the current team is gash to leverage his position financially. If he wants that he can go to PSG, we'll sign a stop gap keeper or use Romero next season and go all in next summer for Oblak or someone.

Dave isn't all that, world class shot stopper at close range, yes. Much else? No.

dogwithabone

I love De Gea and think hes still one of the best in the world but a rebuild should also include making contracts sustainable. If paying DDG x amount means that any future top player coming in wants more than him then move him on.

Same applied to Herrera. You could criticise the club if we were lowballing but im confident that we're not.

Id be interested to see the going rate for top goalkeeper wages and whether or not they have much bargaining power in general.

Good post.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Man I’m so tired of this. Stop negotiating and let him go. We’re not offering him minimum wage so clearly he doesn’t want to be here. Let’s stop wasting energy on this.
Yeah been thinking the same for a while.

He's one of the highest paid keepers in the world and we're offering more money and he's still not accepting. If he wants to go, let him go.

Hulksmash

People say let him go but where is he going?

No Team wants him, Tuchel just vetoed him because he is too bad with his feet.

De gea is fecked, he either puts pen to paper or he ends in a small club

Last edited by a moderator:

SambaBoy

We have made him an offer to be the best paid keeper in the world, probably around £300-350k a week and he still isn't accepting. There's no way we should get dragged any further into this. We have probably offered him more than we should have already due to his 'loyalty' over the last few years and his performances but we can't just offer him a blank cheque book.

Let him go and get Cillissen or Onana.

Mainoldo

Just let him go. It’s tiring now. Hopefully the replacement isn’t too much of a drop but we have the best number 2 in the world so atleast we are covered for a year at least.

JEredDevil

Time for him to go. We can't have another repeat of the Alexis Saga. If Alisson went to Lpool for about 70mill, I'm expecting we get De Gea to be around the same price range as well. The amount of money can be use to bring in about 2 defenders in the quality of Toby and WanBissaka with some left.

Romero has proved that he is capable to step in when needed and with a decent defence infront of him, (WanBissaka, Lindelof, Toby, Shaw) our overall standard of defending might be better. Have Romero, Pereria and Hara as our GKs next season and send Henderson out on loan to Sheffield to get some EPL experience. And if he's good enough the following season, Henderson can be our number 1 for years to come.

As each day passes, it seems to me that De Gea wants out of the club. Some might argue that its Woody's fault but it's apparent that Woody's going nowhere and for the good of the club, we have to cash in on De Gea sooner rather than later.

We need an rvn

stories going around it's partly about the astronomical agent fees that we're refusing to pay.

But even so, I'm not happy making him the highest paid keeper in the world if we did, just setting ourselves up for more salary issues that seem to be affecting the morale of the squad.

Bring him back in line with what other keepers at top clubs are earning (excl Courtois). If we need to offer anything more than £200k p/w which is what he's already on then feck me. Throw that list in front of De Gea and ask why he thinks he should be on £300k p/w when the title winner just earns £65k p/w

Quick google search says
Ederson (City) £65k p/w
Ter Stegen (Barca) £90k p/w
Szczesny (Juve) £80k p/w
Allison (Pool) £95k p/w
Courtois (Real) £200k p/w
Neuer (Bayern) £150k p/w

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Pogba?

I'm not fussed if he wants to go but the people now saying he's not all that or he is no longer one of the best must be joking.
He is still a great shot stopper, but the rest of his game has gone backwards. Is it him or coaching that isn't putting things right? We need to be able to start attacks from the back without it just being hoofed downfield.

Mainoldo

Pogba?

I'm not fussed if he wants to go but the people now saying he's not all that or he is no longer one of the best must be joking.
100 percent the best keeper in the world. Only positive from him leaving is a ball playing Keeper and obviously no obscure wages. We can’t have a goal keeper on £300k a week. It’s mad.

Sereques

PSG would be doing us a favor offering anything around or north of £50m this summer.
People spend their entire life on this board blaming Ed for global warming and whatever related to existence but they are willing to accept £50M for DDG when Kepa went to Chelsea for £72M

Rocknrolla69er

Wages at this club have clearly gotten out of hand, where has the prestige of playing for united gone?
Strict wage structure now needed and if players dont accept whats offered then move on, too many see the club as a cash cow now instead of having a hunger to succeed and create history at old trafford.

Id be happy promoting Romero whos never let us down and having Henderson as backup

Mainoldo

Come to think of it. If he doesn’t sign I can see him just staying. Who is going to pay him that much a week? He’ll only recoup that from leaving on a free.

Where kinda stuck now with letting the best keeper in the world leave on a free.

Mainoldo

People spend their entire life on this board blaming Ed for global warming and whatever related to existence but they are willing to accept £50M for DDG when Kepa went to Chelsea for £72M
I think we all hope we can get £80m but he’s only got a year left on his contract.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Come to think of it. If he doesn’t sign I can see him just staying. Who is going to pay him that much a week? He’ll only recoup that from leaving on a free.

Where kinda stuck now with letting the best keeper in the world leave on a free.
Pretty much. Buffon has been offered a new contract at PSG. So wait it out for a year and join PSG or Real for free.

tonnas

Better than one of the best keepers in the world?

Ed Woodward has caused this mess giving Alexis 375k a week. Not DDG.

He's the man who is ruining the club.
If DeGea is offered being the best paid gk and he wants more its not Ed fault but him and Mendes.

Kostov

If DeGea is offered being the best paid gk and he wants more its not Ed fault but him and Mendes.
Maybe it's not about money, maybe he's tired of this mess and wants to play out his last few peak years in the CL and fighting for some trophies, instead on languishing around 6th place for the last 6 years?

GBBQ

Better than one of the best keepers in the world?

Ed Woodward has caused this mess giving Alexis 375k a week. Not DDG.

He's the man who is ruining the club.
Nonsense, players know that a free agent is going to earn higher wages because there is no transfer fee involved. DDG would make a claim for such wages whether or not Alexis was at the club because he knows that is what he would be worth to PSG / Madrid in one season.

slir32

If he doesn't sign in the next few weeks we need to ship him off get a nice fee and either promote if ready or buy another keeper.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe it's not about money, maybe he's tired of this mess and wants to play out his last few peak years in the CL and fighting for some trophies, instead on languishing around 6th place for the last 6 years?
He has to take some of the blame for points dropped. We would be in the CL. There are other reasons, but he is one of them.

Cockney Phil

We’re close to becoming a one player team with DDG - the ongoing saga is a drag on progress.

His recent form has been dire and would be disappointing if it’s related to contract negotiations.

The time has probably come to let him go.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nonsense, players know that a free agent is going to earn higher wages because there is no transfer fee involved. DDG would make a claim for such wages whether or not Alexis was at the club because he knows that is what he would be worth to PSG / Madrid in one season.
You're talking nonsense. He wasn't free. He swapped a player who had a re-sale value of about £20m or so. So he cost us £20m in real terms plus those crazy wages.

And if you don't think the Alexis deal has caused havoc at the club then my word. Hahahaha

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yeah been thinking the same for a while.

He's one of the highest paid keepers in the world and we're offering more money and he's still not accepting. If he wants to go, let him go.
We've seen what he's like this season when he's unhappy or distracted (not sure what the issue is exactly) and it's not pretty. We can't have another season of that. I doubt getting obscene amounts of money is going to make him feel better. He's had enough, so let him go.

What we shouldn't do is let him stay as No 1 for next season if he doesn't sign. It will be another distraction once he starts negotiating with other teams in January or whenever. We can't afford that.

Honestly I've just lost patience with him now. If you want to go, be brave and hand in a transfer request and make up your mind and stop hiding behind his dodgy agent.

Kostov

He has to take some of the blame for points dropped. We would be in the CL. There are other reasons, but he is one of them.
I agree, this last few months he has cost us, dearly. But imo it was bound to happen, meaning he would catch up with the mess around him sooner or later, that does not exclude him from any blame, and I think it was a consequence of a couple of factors.

GBBQ

You're talking nonsense. He wasn't free. He swapped a player who had a re-sale value of about £20m or so. So he cost us £20m in real terms plus those crazy wages.

And if you don't think the Alexis deal has caused havoc at the club then my word. Hahahaha
I never said Alexis was free or didn't cause havoc to the wage structure. DDG was never going to settle for £150K when PSG or Madrid would offer him 400K+ as a free agent after next season. look at herrera, a squad player going to make 300K in PSG. What would they pay for one of the best keepers in the world.

Can 100% say this is not on Ed or Sanchez, DDG was always going to get the best deal and you can be sure potential suitors have already unofficially made suggestions about what he might earn if he moves for free.

George The Best

Put him on the ‘available for transfer’ list and circulate to all clubs - see if there are any takers. He may get a surprise if no offers come in from any clubs he might be interested in. Sell if our price is matched, if not then no need to negotiate a new deal, he can go for free next summer. Meanwhile give Romero more game time, he’s perfectly adequate and GK is the least of our problems right now.

SteveW

Who's going to pay more for a goalkeeper who's lost all confidence and has one year left? Be realistic

Djemba-Djemba

Making him the highest paid keeper in the world after his last 12 months of performances doesn't sit right with me.

Horrible flashbacks to Sanchez and that final huge Rooney contract.

Rewarding players for what they used to be rather than what they now are. Of course De Gea may well bounce back next year and show every one this season was just a blip but maybe he won't.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Are we ready to let him go yet? He's using the fact the current team is gash to leverage his position financially. If he wants that he can go to PSG, we'll sign a stop gap keeper or use Romero next season and go all in next summer for Oblak or someone.

Dave isn't all that, world class shot stopper at close range, yes. Much else? No.
A happy and motivated DDG is one of our best players.

norm87cro

Let's be honest. His mistake against Chelsea was a mistake that cost us CL football this year. (despite the season we had) Win that game and we are more than motivated to sweep aside Cardiff and Huddersfield. He should not be getting half a million based on current form

OleGunnar20

What an odd situation.

A brilliant player - best shot-stopper I personally have ever seen - stuck with us for one reason or another through a very rough patch wherein many of us admitted that as a player, he probably deserved better.

But then his form this season has been atrocious, the tail-end was just unbelievable. You could legitimately say I think that if two or three of those errors don't happen, we make top four.

To add to this hes picking now to try and bend us over a barrel wage-wise? Regardless of previous sentiment that just doesn't sit well with me.

I think given the way he plays he's unlikely to be a great keeper in his thirties. Once that shot-stopping is out the window I'd say he's pretty poor in fact, unless he can reinvent his game.

It's a tough one, but for me on balance I think he should be sold - if he refuses to sign a new deal this summer.

Henderson looks bright, I don't particularly rate Romero as a #1 but maybe with a vastly improved back line he'd do for a season.

Either way I think long term we're either looking at keeping a lesser De Gea once hes into his thirties (just a guess of course), or we replace ahead of time.

Tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.