De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan

You call somebody's post bollocks and then follow it up with some of your own bollocks.

Good effort :lol:
What bollocks have I said? De Gea has carried us in the post SAF era.

But apparently he makes Smalling, Jones and Young “worse”

:rolleyes:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Going to PSG would show us where his head is at.
That's up with there with staying at Utd a few years ago in terms of not wanting the step up in pressure.
Going to a team that are guaranteed CL football and also that will win titles even if it's in a lesser league. Compare that to competing for the top 4 cup.

Some of our fans are living in the past. We aren't the best anymore. We're not even second or third.

Don't blame if he goes. He wasting his best years in a big club but a very very average team.

cyberman

Going to a team that are guaranteed CL football and also that will win titles even if it's in a lesser league. Compare that to competing for the top 4 cup.

Some of our fans are living in the past. We aren't the best anymore. We're not even second or third.

Don't blame if he goes. He wasting his best years in a big club but a very very average team.
Im not living in the past. Im simply stating that being keeper for PSG is the easiest job in football. Its not as if he would go there for their CL pedigree ffs.
Nobody gives a shit about the French league title hence the meltdown every season when they are eliminated from the only competition they care about.
Not everything needs to be this overreaching arc that signifies this and that. Narratives in football means nothing no matter how many essays are written

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Im not living in the past. Im simply stating that being keeper for PSG is the easiest job in football. Its not as if he would go there for their CL pedigree ffs.
Nobody gives a shit about the French league title hence the meltdown every season when they are eliminated from the only competition they care about.
Not everything needs to be this overreaching arc that signifies this and that. Narratives in football means nothing no matter how many essays are written
Bollocks. They may play in a tinpot league but it's better winning that than nothing.

We are lucky he's stayed as long as he has. He's won 1 title and 0 CL's. That's not good enough for a player of his calibre.

cyberman

Bollocks. They may play in a tinpot league but it's better winning that than nothing.

We are lucky he's stayed as long as he has. He's won 1 title and 0 CL's. That's not good enough for a player of his calibre.
Winning a title in an oil club against outmatched opposition means nothing to fans outside of France.
Literally nothing. Have you posted in their league thread this year? How many watch alongs have you participated in?
Not all trophies are created equal. A lot of players value competition and challenges over walkover titles.
He may as well join Celtic as PSG

Silas

I hope we get a decent fee for him and actually spend the money on outfield players rather than spend it on a replacement. Romero and Henderson can fight it out next season.
Looking forward to seeing Henderson in the prem. Stars are aligning for him.

Cloud7

PSG are really taking that loss to United hard. Can’t wait for their world record bid for Lingard next.

fastwalker

For Ole, retaining the services of David De Gea would be his first big signing of the season. I must confess, I was veering towards supporting the sale of De Gea because I do not under any circumstances support the idea of players holding the club to ransom. No-one, but no-one is bigger than the club.

Current performances, notwithstanding, David De Gea is for me the best goalkeeper in the world and one of probably two truly world class players that United have. If United can convince De Gea to sign, it will be a massive statement of intent, especially given that we will be in the Europa League next season. Hopefully, it will also be a positive sign to other current players (eg: Paul Pogba) who are hedging their bets and options for next season.

That said, if United cannot convince him to sign, we should try and get as much money as we can for him and move on. We need to be rid of him quickly to minimise disruption to the squad.

Reactions: nimic

Member 101269

It appeared he was gone a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

GiddyUp

For Ole, retaining the services of David De Gea would be his first big signing of the season. I must confess, I was veering towards supporting the sale of De Gea because I do not under any circumstances support the idea of players holding the club to ransom. No-one, but no-one is bigger than the club.

Current performances, notwithstanding, David De Gea is for me the best goalkeeper in the world and one of probably two truly world class players that United have. If United can convince De Gea to sign, it will be a massive statement of intent, especially given that we will be in the Europa League next season. Hopefully, it will also be a positive sign to other current players (eg: Paul Pogba) who are hedging their bets and options for next season.

That said, if United cannot convince him to sign, we should try and get as much money as we can for him and move on. We need to be rid of him quickly to minimise disruption to the squad.
I say feck them all. Not one player this season apart from McTominay deserves anything. NBC just showed the highlights of our league competition smashing it in Europe while this team celebrated just as much after a fluky win in Paris.
I love De Gea but this isn't the 1st time te has tried to get out of the club. I also think this club needs a keeper with better distribution, more dominance in the box and with VAR coming in (ffs Smalling will be a common utterance) someone who can save a penalty not taken by Leighton Baines.
Happy for him to stay but right now I feel the same if he leaves for a big chunk.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also, thinking long-term, it's not inconceivable that DDG is a Casillas category keeper in terms of how he's most likely to age.

Currently, he's the best shot stopper in the world but, as others have said, he hasn't really come on leaps and bounds in other areas. It seems downright unlikely that he'll look like a VDS five years from now.

If he wants out, this could be the right time for both parties.

Mcking

If our defence had literally any one else between the sticks, they would be conceding more than 63.

Ridiculous the amount of disrespect David is getting just because he’s been off form. The fact that he basically has to be “world class, best keeper in the world” every game is a joke in itself. Alisson doesn’t even have to make a save in some games, let alone make 6 top class saves before one inevitably goes in.

Anyone who thinks De Gea makes Smalling, Jones, Shaw and Young worse needs their head checking. He’s been stacking their clean sheet stats for years.

You’re in for a serious wake up call when we let De Gea leave and replace him with Dean Henderson. If you’re expecting Oblak or somebody, you’re deluded. The Glazers won’t spend.
Definitely not this season. Put someone like Lloris, Allisson, Ederson, Fabianski, Guaita, Leno, Foster in goal, and I would argue that we'd much better off. De gea has performed no better than a midtable goalkeeper this season.
Granted that our defence has to do more defending than Liverpool's, but Allisson also doesn't need to save many shots because he helps his defence to stop the opposition from getting shots away. Liverpool defend with four defenders and a goalkeeper; we defend with four defenders, and a shot stopper. Our centre forwards do more defending than our goalkeeper.

purgethefallen

:lol:

He's nowhere near to being the best keeper in the world, he's severely limited, he's just a shot stopper, doesn't command his area and most certainly doesn't organise the defence in front of him which are major failings in a top class keeper.

UncleBob

He dithered on a new contract, Madrid made a bid and we tried to sell him to them but some fecking moron couldn't work the fax machine. If he had 5 years on his contract we wouldn't have tried to sell him. We'd have rebuffed any bid unless it was stupid money.
We didn't try to sell him.
"Trying to sell" indicates that we were the active part in him potentially leaving.

Did we try to sell Cristiano Ronaldo as well ?

crossy1686

career ending
We didn't try to sell him.
"Trying to sell" indicates that we were the active part in him potentially leaving.

Did we try to sell Cristiano Ronaldo as well ?
So Dave handed in a transfer request and wanted to leave for Real? Or he was dithering on a contract so we accepted a bid from Real to shift him before he went on a free? Which one is it?

manunited1919

Sell him. Goalkeeper is the least of our problems. We can use the money to strengthen areas where we really need to improve: RB, Midfield, RW, and Stricker.

UncleBob

So Dave handed in a transfer request and wanted to leave for Real? Or he was dithering on a contract so we accepted a bid from Real to shift him before he went on a free? Which one is it?
Bizarre that you're actually trying to spin this....He wasn't dithering on a contract, we wanted him to stay and he wanted a move to Real Madrid (hardly a surprise). The club was happy for him to see out his contract unless we received a good enough offer for him. We were in no way whatsoever the active part in that transfer saga.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So lets make it a problem by selling the reason it's the least of our problems ?
Indeed

If he doesn't want to renew then ok we loose him on a free next summer, we've got enough to do this summer without replacing the keeper as well (and no Romero is not good enough before someone chimes in with that)

Bojan11

Mitten saying we offered him a highly paid contract and he hasn’t taken it.

Looks like we should just cash in if that’s the case.

-Supreme-

If he doesn't sign a new contract anytime soon then
we should tell him he will be benched if he tries to remain at United and get a better contract from another club next year.

Need to avoid another Herrera situation

El Zoido

He should hand in a transfer request if he wants to leave. Hate these games.

BlueHaze

At this point just get rid before he ends up leaving on a free. Cash in while you can ffs...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
DDG off then? Pogba probably too? Ole hasn't got a prayer next season. Our fanbase and the media just won't afford him the time this job now needs. I'm willing to give it to him as I can see just how long the way back is. Don't think many will though.

Enigma_87

You know who
Which clubs are moving on to sign him ? PSG ?
PSG, Juve are the only ones I can think of that would be a step up for him and could actually afford him.

French league shouldn't be all that appealing, of course, but who knows, he will definitely get top dollar there..

Infestissumam

I don't really see an option out there for him. Maybe PSG, but they surely have bigger needs and also have to keep FFP in mind. But other than that? I doubt Juve would make a move, neither would Bayern. No option in Spain either right now.

el3mel

PSG, Juve are the only ones I can think of that would be a step up for him and could actually afford him.

French league shouldn't be all that appealing, of course, but who knows, he will definitely get top dollar there..
Yeah same. Can't think of other two teams. Madrid are crazy but with Courtois and their current state they won't need to spend loads on other positions first.

PSG seems to be the most logical thing as Buffon was a stop gap.

Red_toad

Can go join his mate at PSG, if those stories about wages on offer are true. He’s certainly not helped his case over the last year.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah same. Can't think of other two teams. Madrid are crazy but with Courtois and their current state they won't need to spend loads on other positions first.

PSG seems to be the most logical thing as Buffon was a stop gap.
Would PSG invest that much money in GK tho? They don't strike me as a team that would prioritize the GK position. Can keep up with Areola or Trapp who will return from loan.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Henderson and Romero are more than good enough for next season. I just hope we get as much money for him as possible and invest it into outfield signings..

el3mel

Would PSG invest that much money in GK tho? They don't strike me as a team that would prioritize the GK position. Can keep up with Areola or Trapp who will return from loan.
They might have a reason as their defensive side is usually the reason of their downfall every year in CL so might think of getting a top shot stopping GK as David to improve it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Henderson and Romero are more than good enough for next season. I just hope we get as much money for him as possible and invest it into outfield signings..
This attitude will see us end up as 9th or 10th best club in England. DDG had a bad season but he's still one of the best keepers in the world.

If we lose DDG n Pogba this summer god only knows what's going to happen to us and Ole next season. It won't be pretty.

The Nani

This attitude will see us end up as 9th or 10th best club in England. DDG had a bad season but he's still one of the best keepers in the world.

If we lose DDG n Pogba this summer god only knows what's going to happen to us and Ole next season. It won't be pretty.
De Gea is unraveling. He’s been poor for over a year now and a total liability in spells for us and Spain.

I’m so sick of hearing how Manchester United will perish if he and our other supposed talisman leave.

It’s total rubbish.

I’m honestly more worried about no one stumping up a proper fee this summer and us ending up with two uncommitted players again next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.