De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

Saw he made some comments (regarding Kepa) suggesting he should stay in Spain. He said "All the players like me that leave Spain, we are not followed as much as those that are playing at home and people forget a little bit about us," he said. "That is why we try to be there and do things to be talked about."

Hopefully it's nothing to read into. He did say "The English culture cares for and loves its players a lot."
Read that more as a criticism of the football people in Spain. It really shouldn't matter, where you play to get recognised and it was ridiculous how long it took to give the job to him.

Inter Yer Nan

Read that more as a criticism of the football people in Spain. It really shouldn't matter, where you play to get recognised and it was ridiculous how long it took to give the job to him.
Yeah, it's mad to think he's been no worse than the 2nd best goalie in the world for close to 4 years and he's got 25 caps and has never started a World Cup game despite being 27. It sort of makes a difference in how others see it I still get laughed at by non United mates in this country for suggesting he's the best around and they point to the fact Casillas was picked ahead of him until last year.

prath92

Yeah, it's mad to think he's been no worse than the 2nd best goalie in the world for close to 4 years and he's got 25 caps and has never started a World Cup game despite being 27. It sort of makes a difference in how others see it I still get laughed at by non United mates in this country for suggesting he's the best around and they point to the fact Casillas was picked ahead of him until last year.
Tbf he wasn’t the best in the world when the last wc happened.

RedDevil@84

It all depends on how the competition was in the NT... Iker was loved and chosen one for ages.. De Gea could not have displaced him any sooner than 2015-16.. To be fair to De Gea, he became the undisputed no 2 during Iker's time and then went on to dislodge him. The progression was natural. And he should be the no 1 for Spain for a long long time now, unless of course politics, favorites and all such stuff happen.
My only worry is if Real or Barca have a top Spanish keeper and they can influence Spanish FA to select that keeper over De Gea for the simple reason that he still plays in Spain.

Inter Yer Nan

It all depends on how the competition was in the NT... Iker was loved and chosen one for ages.. De Gea could not have displaced him any sooner than 2015-16.. To be fair to De Gea, he became the undisputed no 2 during Iker's time and then went on to dislodge him. The progression was natural. And he should be the no 1 for Spain for a long long time now, unless of course politics, favorites and all such stuff happen.
My only worry is if Real or Barca have a top Spanish keeper and they can influence Spanish FA to select that keeper over De Gea for the simple reason that he still plays in Spain.
That's where it's going to be very important that not only do we pay Dave well (we will), but we also show genuine signs we are going to challenging year in year out for major honors (League and Champions League) for his next contract. If we are one of the top 3-4 clubs on a consistent basis he should obviously keep his place. Afterall Silva has always been a favorite despite City not being a contender in CL.

MAME DIOUF 32

When we've let big players go before we've adapted our game. You can't really do that with a goalkeeper. Pay him what he wants.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Looks like Real are on the verge of signing Kepa....that's great news for us,De Gea will stick around for some time yet,although I can see him going back to Spain eventually.If it's not Real,then it will be Barca....actually I"m quite surprised that Barca haven't shown any interest in him so far...
I guess there's simply no need to replace Ter Stegen, both because his style is tailor-made for Barca and (Barca fans correct me if I'm wrong) he seems to have adjusted to the requirements over time.

Nikelesh Reddy

@Synco -Fair enough,but De Geas excellent with his feet and his distribution ain't half bad.But anyways,I hope your right,hopefully he"ll Stick around for atleast another 3-4 seasons...

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Synco -Fair enough,but De Geas excellent with his feet and his distribution ain't half bad.But anyways,I hope your right,hopefully he"ll Stick around for atleast another 3-4 seasons...
De Gea would cost them a fortune, I think it'd just make no sense from their POV. So no danger from them, imo. With the Real connection seemingly gone, it wouldn't surprise me not seeing him leave at all.

Inter Yer Nan

How good/highly rated is Kepa? Is he.... a keeper for them?

Edit: And Barcelona can piss off, Real is the only threat when it comes to de Gea.
I think he is but the thing with Real is they are often very hasty in replacing a player but he is a great younger goalie and the potential to be one of the best in the World. He'd cost at least $50-60m less than Dave too.

SirAF

Ageist
I think he is but the thing with Real is they are often very hasty in replacing a player but he is a great younger goalie and the potential to be one of the best in the World. He'd cost at least $50-60m less than Dave too.
Sounds like a good deal for them ;) Sign him up!

Nikelesh Reddy

@Synco -I hope your right,although I"m a bit surprised that Real have given up so easily,but who knows,maybe they need to spend big to strengthen other positions....

SirAF

Ageist
Think we should make him our next club captain too. That along with 300k or more a week should do the trick.
Definitely. It might not matter as much as I think, but I would imagine that the allure of possibly overtaking Giggs’ appearances record must play in the back of his mind.. If he stays at United for the rest of his career he could do it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The amount of time it took for him to be No.1 was a joke.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The amount of time it took for him to be No.1 was a joke.
I still remember getting my first grey hairs over arguments with people who thought that Lindegaard was good enough to be starting games ahead of him.

You really get a test of patience on here sometimes.

arthurka

I still remember getting my first grey hairs over arguments with people who thought that Lindegaard was good enough to be starting games ahead of him.

Hahahahaha I remember this as well.. How these people came to believe that is bewildering :houllier:..

Luciano Venturini

Make him club captain next season and make him top 3 earners. Need to do whatever it takes to keep him. Another hunt for a number 1 similar to Schmeichel leaving on our hands if not.

If he insists on Madrid and we can't keep him, have to get something out of it. A player from Real Madrid (Isco, Varane, Bale) and cash.

Reactions: Penna

prath92

well, lindegaard did play a good few games as first choice in 11/12 though.

United_We_Stand

Simon Mullock says Real will try again to sign De Gea next summer when the player will have only one year left on his deal (apparently he doesn't know about the further year extension option).

Nero

Nothing more than a click generator now. An easy story, an easy job.

Nikelesh Reddy

Excellent news this,let's get him signed up on another 5 year deal....If Real go after Kepa,then De Gea will stay for at least another 3-4 seasons,by the time he's done he"ll comfortably establish himself as a club legend....

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Are Real willing to make him the highest paid goalie in the world (probably football history?) though? I pretty sure Woody is willing to take it there. Maybe money won't be enough to keep him though.

Hansa

Get it sorted. Between Schmeichel leaving and van der Sar arriving, we had a lot of strange creatures in goal. Don't want to go through that again.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Simon Mullock says Real will try again to sign De Gea next summer when the player will have only one year left on his deal (apparently he doesn't know about the further year extension option).
Bull. Pretty sure it was announced he has one.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Let's have it, Real. I'm sure it'll be a smooth transaction, since you were so nice to us with Morata and all.

Ah.

minoo-utd

It always depends on what is he really want! Hope Real get another GK and just feck off, I'd sell Dave to anyone else except Real if he wants to leave of course but I really hope he wants us as much as we do, and if he wants to join real I think we can easily demand 80m these days like they do with other clubs. For me I want DDG stays here for the rest of his career but Real always a concern we have to deal with.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Definitely. It might not matter as much as I think, but I would imagine that the allure of possibly overtaking Giggs’ appearances record must play in the back of his mind.. If he stays at United for the rest of his career he could do it.
Don't think so. He's 27 and hasn't hit 300 appearances for us yet.

We need an rvn

only way Giggs' record will ever be broken is if we get another freak youth player in who starts in the team at 16/17 and stays until they're mid 30's. Don't see anyone joining us in their early 20s ever breaking it.

deafepl

only way Giggs' record will ever be broken is if we get another freak youth player in who starts in the team at 16/17 and stays until they're mid 30's. Don't see anyone joining us in their early 20s ever breaking it.
Rashford could, he started playing for us when he was 18 and have 55 appearances in the league.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Didn't Giggs break into the team at 17 and stayed a first teamer until he was 41? I don't see anyone bettering that tbh.

AXVnee7

I wouldn't begrudge him a move if he wanted to go. He's potentially missed out on a couple of CLs. Nevertheless he's never kicked up a fuss and always remained a true professional.

Pay him whatever he wants to try and get him to stay. One thing he will get here if he stays is that he'll be a Utd cult hero. At Madrid he'd be just another player to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.