De Gea: "Nobody knows the future. The future is the future. I’m very happy at United."

He's going nowhere for a couple more seasons at least, no chance are Madrid prepared to pay the kind of money required for a goalkeeper.

I honestly don't think Mourinho would be too bothered if he got 60m quid for him, he's always been good at picking out a top keeper.

RedMaestro

I get the impression it's more so pressure from his girlfriend than his family, in which case I would have to tell her that I'm staying here (if that's what I wanted) but then again that's just me. I'd think he knows what he wants to do either way as well.
It must be a hard decision for De Gea being in a club that's beginning to find it's way back but then again not many players can turn down clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona when they show interest. Being a Spaniard will surely make the decision tougher and if he'd take his girlfriend in to account the saying "Happy wife, happy life" is actually not that far from the truth. But I also remember Ibra was mentioning something like this; "She goes where I go", when asked what his family thinks of changing club/country.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Couldn't Woodward just invest a couple of millions into buying Edurne's records? Surely she would move into UK then, thinking there's a big fanbase for her there.

JustJackTheLad

I personally get the impression he still fancies the move but doesn't want to upset the loyal united fans. Can't really blame him for wanting to go, can we?

If we have another few seasons like we have, then by the time he retires he won't have as many medals/trophies to show than he should have, other than his player of the year awards he seems to sweep up for us.

But then on the other hand, Ronaldo has got less to show (other than his Ballon D'ors) since moving to Madrid. Winning the league only once (believe it or not)

Rossa

I don't understand why they can't just say "no comment" - it would take away the speculation. If your head is in a different place, no matter how good you are, it will affect you. He's top three goalie in the world, but we don't look that poor without him this season.

dellboyy

Pretty much what they all say isn't it? But yeah, as said, if we don't start getting into the champions league again, eventually it's got to start having an effect on the players desire to stay in general.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
But I also remember Ibra was mentioning something like this; "She goes where I go", when asked what his family thinks of changing club/country.
Basically, Dave staying depends on how pussywhipped he is.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This nobody knows the future stuff sounds like the nonsense Ronaldo used to come out with. :rolleyes:

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Basically, Dave staying depends on how pussywhipped he is.
They've won the Champions League 2 of the past 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons, United have played CL knockout football once, Europa League knockout football once and not qualified for continental football.

It's okay to have faith in your team.. but let's not be RAWKish.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I don't understand why they can't just say "no comment" - it would take away the speculation. If your head is in a different place, no matter how good you are, it will affect you. He's top three goalie in the world, but we don't look that poor without him this season.
You think if he'd said "no comment" this thread would be any different?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Why would you ever limit your options and also weaken your position in any future contract negotiations? It is a great thing to be in a position where many clubs want your services.

MooseTheMooche

It is inevitable that De Gea will leave the club. He is an outstanding goalkeeper, and it is incredible how many times he won us points. But he is Spanish and he had his mind setup for a return to Spain from day one, me thinks

Having said that we should be all over Gigio Donnarumma :drool: what a prospect!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn’t Marca their mouthpiece? Doubt that AS would’ve made up the quotes.
Marca is the mouthpiece right now(for florentino perez, not real madrid. The two aren't entirely the same). AS is just bullshit

Btw...this is florentino having a moment. Zidane is very happy with keylor, madridismo is happy with keylor...unfortunately perez is perez...

Rossa

Why would you ever limit your options and also weaken your position in any future contract negotiations? It is a great thing to be in a position where many clubs want your services.
I understand that - but he he doesn't have to talk to the press. He's got his back free, no doubt, but he could just as easily have said nothing and rather talk to his agent if he wants a move. Indicating in the slightest a move will only give the fans something to moan about, and I also think it will affect his game eventually.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Couldn't Woodward just invest a couple of millions into buying Edurne's records? Surely she would move into UK then, thinking there's a big fanbase for her there.
I'm sure this very thought has crossed his mind.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
But then on the other hand, Ronaldo has got less to show (other than his Ballon D'ors) since moving to Madrid. Winning the league only once (believe it or not)
I am sure he has won the CL, a few times with Madrid, too. ;)
And the Ball on Dor trophies are nice to have on your trophy cabinet. :cool:

JustJackTheLad

I am sure he has won the CL, a few times with Madrid, too. ;)
And the Ball on Dor trophies are nice to have on your trophy cabinet. :cool:
Yeah he's won the CL twice, but he won it with us once. But yeah, on a personal level he's definitely exceeded himself

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Some quotes from Mata which add precisely nothing to the argument:

“David is a veteran here already, been here many years,” Mata said.

“Everyone recognises his contribution to the team. More rumours have come out? If we are just in February, imagine until June, July, August … I did not know that it had come out again.

“He had a hectic summer before. I’ve not spoken to him about this at all. He is relaxed here, and with too much to think about for the rest of the season, without thinking about the summer.”
http://thepeoplesperson.com/2017/02...-david-de-geas-links-with-real-madrid-173508/

spenzo

Depends if he loves his GF or not. Unless he loves the club more everything is in Madrid. He will guarantee a big salary more or less the same. He will gain definite Champions League qualification every year, Challenging for the league, near to his GF family etc. Sometimes you have to accept that a player might think of Utd as his workplace, and not love the club as we fans do (Im talking generally not necessarily at De Gea).
It must be a hard decision for De Gea being in a club that's beginning to find it's way back but then again not many players can turn down clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona when they show interest. Being a Spaniard will surely make the decision tougher and if he'd take his girlfriend in to account the saying "Happy wife, happy life" is actually not that far from the truth. But I also remember Ibra was mentioning something like this; "She goes where I go", when asked what his family thinks of changing club/country.
I get that 99% of players don't love a club the same way that fans do. However I do feel as though his own personal desire should overrule any other factors at play in this situation. I always had the impression that most relationships involving footballers went like Ibra said - 'she goes where I go' but I guess every couple is unique so maybe Dave's girl holds more sway than we'd like.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
They've won the Champions League 2 of the past 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons, United have played CL knockout football once, Europa League knockout football once and not qualified for continental football.
It's actually surprising that many fans don't realise this.
And in the current season, we lie in 6th place. Madrid in comparison are in...err...1st.

bucky

Not really surprised. Would be disappointing, but that's how it goes. I think there are more than enough goalkeepers around that could be a decent replacement. Probably not quite on his level, but adequate nonetheless.

Timo Horn from FC Köln (Cologne) is a talented goalkeeper (same age as Areola) from Germany but he's recently been injured so I'm not sure what that'll do to him. He's been seen as one the best new GK:s in Germany I believe.

But I'm not sure if Leno or Horn is better or Areola, not an expert... :smirk:
IMO Horn is definitely better than Leno.

To be honest, it is not the best time for me to drop his name as a de Gea replacement :lol: He hasn't been having a great time at PSG this season as I said.

I think he showed last season though, in La Liga, that he has the talent. There would be risk involved with buying a 23 year old keeper and it could go either way. Buying a young but promising goalkeeper might be a risk we have to take anyway if we let De Gea go because I don't see us being able to buy the likes of Lloris, Neuer, or Courtois.
He was very impressive at Villareal from the little I saw and have read about his time there, but I think Trapp is more likely to leave, even if the latter is currently first choice.

RedMaestro

@bucky Yes, Horn seems to be very talented but I'm a bit concerned about his injury therefore my question about whether he or Leno is the better one. But it all also depends on how well they can develop, who has the most potential.

bucky

@bucky Yes, Horn seems to be very talented but I'm a bit concerned about his injury therefore my question about whether he or Leno is the better one. But it all also depends on how well they can develop, who has the most potential.
I don't particularly like using overrated as a assessment of a player, but I think it's apt in Leno's case.

Zoo

The article is behind a paywall but according to the Times there is no release clause in his contract.

cyberman

The article is behind a paywall but according to the Times there is no release clause in his contract.
Of course there's not. The Spanish love to make believe a release clause to push an agenda forward.

m1y2

I think he will surprised many and stay for few more years, there's always Madrid sniffing around but Navas was great for them lately and Zidane seems like someone who trust his players and Perez might trust him on this but I can be completely wrong, they would have to pay 40million + unsettle deGea here little bit too, so he forces his move, if there's a buyout clause fine but Mourinho has only come to the club and we are onto great things,

We must challenge for the titles from next season though that can keep Dave here.

And if he eventually leaves I am sure we will find a replacement, there are definitely a lot of great goalkeeper talents around the world... like that 17 yo from Milano, some germans, Lloris, Butland from the home league, our very own Pereira/Johnstone would deserve a chance too...

Also degea is averagee at best in the air and commanding, that's sort of thing the next keeper could have over him despite the fact that I can't imagine anyone matching his out of this world reflexes..

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

It's okay to have faith in your team.. but let's not be RAWKish.
Which would be fine if I was serious.

RedMaestro

I don't particularly like using overrated as a assessment of a player, but I think it's apt in Leno's case.
Really? Then you must have seen him in more games than me. Then I won't mention him anymore.

crossy1686

career ending
Dave's Spanish, he's born in Madrid and he's one of the best goal keepers in the world. I don't think anyone will be surprised when he does go back home, I just hope we're already starting to scout for potential replacements. We don't want another dry spell like we had between Schmeical and Van Der Sar.

gaucho_10

Dave's Spanish, he's born in Madrid and he's one of the best goal keepers in the world. I don't think anyone will be surprised when he does go back home, I just hope we're already starting to scout for potential replacements. We don't want another dry spell like we had between Schmeical and Van Der Sar.
I'm not a Spaniard but I don't have to be to know the guy is not really wanted by Madrid fans. The problem is Perez doesn't give a feck about what the fans do or do not want.

I hope he stays with you forever.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm not a Spaniard but I don't have to be to know the guy is not really wanted by Madrid fans. The problem is Perez doesn't give a feck about what the fans do or do not want.

I hope he stays with you forever.
It’d be horrific to sign the best goalkeeper in the world in his prime, I agree. Oh and yeah I don’t think there’s that many Club Presidents or CEOs that care about what the fans do or do not want.

gaucho_10

It’d be horrific to sign the best goalkeeper in the world in his prime, I agree. Oh and yeah I don’t think there’s that many Club Presidents or CEOs that care about what the fans do or do not want.
Don't care how good he is, I don't like him. Besides, he is a goalkeeper, not a Lionel Messi.
Guy is a wuss who had his woman doing the talking last sumer. If he wants the move this summer he'll probably have to come out of the closet and just say he wants to go to Madrid. Hope he chickens out (again).