De Gea Not Happy With Contract Offer

Robbyb03

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/manchester-united-player-salaries/
Someone asked about wages and this is what I found...

Maybe I’m oblivious to the times and costs of modern football, but there is no way I’d pay over £300K a week for a GK, De Gea included. There are too many good goalkeepers we could get for far less than that and use the difference to improve elsewhere on the pitch. Plus, we have Romero and Pereira waiting in the wings. Where would De Gea even go?!? Few teams can even pay those kind of wages let alone for a GOALKEEPER!
Arsenal- nope
Chelsea- nope
Liverpool- nope
Manchester City- nope
Tottenham- nope
every other EPL team- nope

PSG- highly unlikely (Buffon, Areola, Trapp)
Ligue 1- nope

Bayern Munich- nope as they wont break their wage structure (Neuer, Ulreich, Fruchtl)
Bundesliga- nope

Inter- ?!? (Who really knows how much money they have to invest)
Juventus- I really don’t know, but highly doubtful (Perin, Szczesny)
Milan- I really don’t know (Donnarumma, Reina)
Serie A- nope

Atletico Madrid- nope due to wages (Oblak)
Barcelona- highly, highly unlikely (ter Stegen, Cillessen)
Real Madrid- nope (Courtois, Navas)

Reactions: Sultan

L1nk

Maybe I’m oblivious to the times and costs of modern football, but there is no way I’d pay over £300K a week for a GK, De Gea included. There are too many good goalkeepers we could get for far less than that and use the difference to improve elsewhere on the pitch. Plus, we have Romero and Pereira waiting in the wings. Where would De Gea even go?!? Few teams can even pay those kind of wages let alone for a GOALKEEPER!
Arsenal- nope
Chelsea- nope
Liverpool- nope
Manchester City- nope
Tottenham- nope

Ligue 1- nope

Bayern Munich- nope as they wont break their wage structure (Neuer, Ulreich, Fruchtl)
Bundesliga- nope

Serie A- nope

You're assuming De Gea would want 300k a week to play for some of the top teams in the world, of which we are currently not, footballing wise. We also have nobody else but ourselves to blame, we are notorious for paying massive wages to players who have not in the slightest earned them so we shouldn't be surprised that our best player wants the same. Not sure why you are not only begrudging him this but are seemingly willing to let our best player go, our seasons since Fergie left would of been a lot lot worse without this guy in our goal, that's a fact. He's the best goalkeeper in the world, arguably top 3 minimum, there is no replacing him currently.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I hate the way that players hold clubs to ransom these days. They know that in most cases the club don't want to lose them and they also want a huge payday in what is a very short career.

That said, if it were my club, I'd be paying this guy whatever he wanted. There are very few top level goalkeepers in this world and arguably none better than DDG.

This isn't meant as a dig but the way Utd have played in recent seasons hasn't been the sort of football you would expect from a club challenging for the title every year. You're at the stage with him where you either pay him or lose him.

If you lose him, who do you replace him with? A goalkeeper that comes in knowing he was first choice and therefore demanding high wages. A club knowing you're desperate and charging stupid money (£80m+). It's cheaper and makes more sense to keep the best player in your team part of your club.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Ahhh just when we thought that our Dave is safe cause Real Madrid signed a new goalkeeper. He won't admit it but he must be dying inside when Real Madrid signed Courtois.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I remember when Wes Brown rejected a contract renewal offer from us after his great 2007/08 season at RB. That was widely reported in the media too with Sir Alex taking a swipe at his agent in particular (source).
"Players of today live in their agents' pockets - it's a situation which really depresses me."

"Wes has been with us since he was 12 but I don't think that matters these days. Their agents live their lives for them and if you are happy to go along with that then you get the situation that you have got just now."
It's definitely normal, but this would normally be kept away from the media. The fact that Castles seems to have sniffed this up is a big concern. After all of the negative press that United have received, we cannot afford more of this.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Putting Sanchez on ~£500k is looking more and more brilliant for each passing month isn't it.

In any case, we should not give in to giving a GK £300k+ or whatever he's asking. He's already the best paid GK in the world at £200k.

Fujiland

Some people argued hard that players like Sanchez should get paid higher because of the lower transfer fee while others on higher transfer fee the salaries should be lower? Where is that logic come from? Just ridiculous! The transfer fee is paid to compensate the other entity, not the player involved in the trade. Player's salary should have nothing to do with the transfer fee. Player's salary should be calculated by factoring in the quality, experience, demand, supply and impacts to the team.

The salary issues on quality player like DDG or Pogba were going to come up the moment Sanchez was getting overpaid because the quality and experience are very much inflated by the new standard that applied to Sanchez. So forget how other players from other team are getting paid, every United player's agent is sizing up client's salary based on THIS TEAM's standard, not other teams or overall market.

Someone also argued that because of Real got a goal keeper so DDG is not on high demand. True. But you still don't want our arguably best player not happy. Even DDG had shown before he was very professional over things not going his way, but everyone in the club house knows there is an elephant in the room, you cannot hide it. Not only DDG, other players may also think, "this is how I get treated?, where is the love?"

So since we cannot rewind the Sanchez's deal, the solution is pretty clear, just pay DDG, and prepare to overpay quality players in the future.

Zlatattack

Pay the man what he wants. He's our best player and undoubtedly world class.

ColvaleGoa

Ed better not feck this up,, rather have the plane fly the banner "Pay whatever the Feck, DeGod wants you penny pinching tw**s -Glazers and Woodward!"

Gopher Brown

Arsenal- nope
Chelsea- nope
Liverpool- nope
Manchester City- nope
Tottenham- nope

Ligue 1- nope

Bundesliga- nope

Serie A- nope

Why are you ruling out Real Madrid? Do you not think if they got another sniff that de Gea was open to a move they wouldn’t discard Courtois in a second?

PSG will want to replace Buffon next season too.

freeurmind

weak willed
Give him all the money. Too many teams with money to risk it. Juve and PSG would take De Gea at 300K in a second.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I hate the way that players hold clubs to ransom these days. They know that in most cases the club don't want to lose them and they also want a huge payday in what is a very short career.

That said, if it were my club, I'd be paying this guy whatever he wanted. There are very few top level goalkeepers in this world and arguably none better than DDG.

This isn't meant as a dig but the way Utd have played in recent seasons hasn't been the sort of football you would expect from a club challenging for the title every year. You're at the stage with him where you either pay him or lose him.

If you lose him, who do you replace him with? A goalkeeper that comes in knowing he was first choice and therefore demanding high wages. A club knowing you're desperate and charging stupid money (£80m+). It's cheaper and makes more sense to keep the best player in your team part of your club.
Agree with this

Rolaholic

The thought of Madrid signing Courtois only to bin him immediately if DDG becomes available is outlandish given that he's actually younger than Dave. That sghip has thankfully sailed for the near future at leas

If ever he did go back to Madrid,I'd expect it to be back to Atleti before Real at this point.

Give him all the money. Too many teams with money to risk it. Juve and PSG would take De Gea at 300K in a second.
I agree with paying him whatever but on your other point, I highly doubt that Juve would offer anything anywhere near 300k. They had to break their own wage structure and get creative with their other businesses to cover Ronaldo's wages.

Buffon himself never sniffed anywhere near 300k throughout his career there. He's earning around 100k a week at PSG now,he earned even less than that during his prime years at Juve

Green_Red

That Sanchez contract set a godawful precedent. Even Pogba will soon demand similar wages.
Here we go again making assumptions about player contracts. Last time it was Rooneys.

How could possibly know how much Sanchez has in his contract? Its not public information and you are speculating.

criticalanalysis

The thought of Madrid signing Courtois only to bin him immediately if DDG becomes available is outlandish given that he's actually younger than Dave. That sghip has thankfully sailed for the near future at leas
Not only that as I doubt his perfomances for Spain have helped. He's probably no longer the 'Galatico' keeper anymore.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Oh no, a contract offer isn't accepted immediately. What a rarity in the world of negotiation.

Ekeke

If ever he did go back to Madrid,I'd expect it to be back to Atleti before Real at this point.

I agree with paying him whatever but on your other point, I highly doubt that Juve would offer anything anywhere near 300k. They had to break their own wage structure and get creative with their other businesses to cover Ronaldo's wages.

Buffon himself never sniffed anywhere near 300k throughout his career there. He's earning around 100k a week at PSG now,he earned even less than that during his prime years at Juve
If he doesnt do well this season its easy to see him being replaced. This is Real Madrid, they just want shiny new toys and can market De Gea much better in Spain

The Mad Manc

It is madness that Sanchez, Pogba, and others most probably, get paid more than big Dave. Genuinely world class and shows up EVERY game. If only our other supposed big game players could show up as much.

Greck

Here we go again making assumptions about player contracts. Last time it was Rooneys.

How could possibly know how much Sanchez has in his contract? Its not public information and you are speculating.
Already acknowledged that we can't be sure.The figures were reported within articles of Woodward's briefing. Common belief is it was from him. The reporters could have added it in to spice up the article but the level of detail about the contract makes it believeable they got it from him.

Ashley R1+O

We've got a lot of ridiculous contracts at the moment. I love De Gea and wouldn't force him out but I won't be surprised if he leaves. Even for a player such as he, 200+/300+ is just crazy figures and we need to reign in the spending at some point. I hope he's not a casualty but thems the breaks unfortunately.

RoyH1

So did de Gea lose a lot of leverage with Madrid buying Courtois or what?:lol:

Hawks2008

Give him the wages he wants, the captaincy, a statue, whatever it takes. We can not afford to lose our only WC player.

tomaldinho1

I doubt this story has any credibility - we may be many things but we always overpay and can put together attractive salaries (probably to our detriment as players see us as a move for a payday). DDG is also coming off a questionable WC, RM don't need another 'keeper so it would also be weird timing for him to kick up a fuss.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Already acknowledged that we can't be sure.The figures were reported within articles of Woodward's briefing. Common belief is it was from him. The reporters could have added it in to spice up the article but the level of detail about the contract makes it believeable they got it from him.
D. Taylor reported that he rakes in 391k p/w, plus 75k for every match he plays, plus a signing-on bonus paid on an annual basis.

Which is ridiculously specific if it's just made up (by a journo considered fairly reliable at that).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
D. Taylor reported that he rakes in 391k p/w, plus 75k for every match he plays, plus a signing-on bonus paid on an annual basis.

Which is ridiculously specific if it's just made up (by a journo considered fairly reliable at that).
Well, he could have just made it specific to make it look like it wasn't made up, y'know.

Treble

The suggestion that DDG is not in a strong position because most big clubs have top GKs is unconvincing. PSG will need a good GK in 1-2 years as Buffon is old. They will be glad to sign him, especially on free in 18 months. Juve are ambitious and can offer him a big sining-on fee. Besides, it is not a given that Courtois will be success at Madrid, etc. If DDG becomes available, some big clubs will show interest, no doubt.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, he could have just made it specific to make it look like it wasn't made up, y'know.
He could. However, the fact that our salary bill for Q1 was higher than for last Q4 despite that Ibra and Mhiky left means that Sanchez is on higher wages than their combined wages. So, likely Taylor and co. are saying the truth when it comes to his salary, it is ridiculously high.

Trizy

Didn't read the OP article but if the rumors are true that we offered him a salary of the highest paid goalkeeper in the world how could he not be happy? He's nothing to compare that salary with to deem it not good enough :houllier:

De Gea - Our best player = Not looking like he'll renew
Pogba - Our best outfield player = wants out
Martial - Our most promising attacker = wants out
Sanchez - Our highest paid player = is shite

United are really trying to break our souls of late :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Heh, yeah. But in addition to what @Revan said, one could point out that City supposedly dropped the chase because they weren't willing to smash their wage hierarchy/structure to pieces (see Pep's ridiculous United = moneybags whining at the time). In short, it's not unreasonable to assume that he's actually on silly wages.

If you're gonna give someone that much money compared to the next big ego on the ladder (Pogba, I presume), you better be sure he's so bloody good that it's worth it regardless (unsettling team mates, getting their agents fired up, etc.).

That's pretty much Messi territory for me. Sanchez has never been near that level.

Well, the current version isn't near the level of a drunk Wayne Rooney, but you get the idea.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think we may be trying to get him to sign a cheaper deal now that Real Madrid are out of the picture. PSG are pretty much the only team left who could both need a goalkeeper and be able to offer him as much as we can plus a chance of trophies.

clarkydaz

I think we may be trying to get him to sign a cheaper deal now that Real Madrid are out of the picture. PSG are pretty much the only team left who could both need a goalkeeper and be able to offer him as much as we can plus a chance of trophies.
Wouldn't surprise me considering how the board is operating at the moment. Might aswell piss off your best player for the last 5 years for good measure