De Gea post-season interview: "Ones who want to stay, stay at the club. Ones that don't want to stay go out. You don't have to stay here."

stoinz

David didn't have his best form in the last season but he gave his best years to us. So I don't understand why are so many fans jumping on him because of these comments. Think most fans also agree with what he said.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He doesn't have the most aggressive style as a GK, but he's been part of a title winning team and has rebounded back from a poor season or two. He has character and mental strength, but too many people don't want to accept it.

Lots of players downed tools and he doesn't trust some when it gets time to fight and claw.

If you dont have teammates who you believe will fight for you, you're all fecked. And that's what happened, United got fecked this season.
Agreed. A massive part of our problems come down to the fact our players have no faith in each other. Probably for good reasons. It's delusional to imagine that next season they will suddenly start believing in one another, just cos Ten Hag says so.

Dressing room is an absolute clusterfeck at the moment. Clear out needed.
100%. This squad has massively fallen out. Expecting them to play and fight for each other is crazy. Just setting Ten Hag up for failure.

If you are professional and you work hard at your job, then you'll have nothing but resentment and contempt towards those who are lazy and have bad attitudes. De Gea is fed up and clearly has been holding back what he'd really like to say. I expect others like Ronaldo, Mata and Matic feel the same towards certain wasters in the squad.
Yeah. There have been enough hints in interviews to substantiate this. That's before all the media reports about the situation.

I lurked quite a bit the last few seasons and as an outsider there was a pretty incredible divide on Red Cafe dating back to Jose's time. Even LVGs tenure at the end was the beginning of the whisperings. Players needing to want sex (I took it as needing more drive). Not willing to do the homework to prepare. Woodward getting buddy buddy.

All the red flags were there.
100%.

The deadwood can all leave. Time for a nuclear reboot.
We can only hope that the club is committed to this. Saddling another coach with the bulk of this squad is a recipe for disaster.

Love that, shame he can’t really name the ones he’d get rid off. Clearly a massive divide in the dressing room between ones who actually want to put the effort in and others don’t.
Yeah and the divide won't magically disappear because some balding fellas in Florida want it to. Major change is required. This is office politics gone real bad. There are players at United who, clearly, actively dislike each other and will point the finger at each other at the first opportunity. Regardless of who's in the dugout, thinking this squad will pull together over a 38 game season is a bit deluded.

clearly the ‘dressing room’ is more toxic behind the scenes than we realise. this is a pretty big statement by DDG.

Glad he’s spoken out as our most senior player.
Yup. As stated, we can only hope it shakes the senior management into action.

I wonder if there are any posters in here that have been substitute teachers. It's a freaking nightmare in some rooms/classes.

That's the perspective with which i view this interim management period. He couldn't have done any better without pandering to a bunch of spoiled and unprofessional mercenaries.
I mostly agree. Ralf's failed. Maybe he could have done better. However, it's difficult to believe that this group was ever going to go to the wall for him. I've heard people say that the players didn't like them calling them out, which undermined his ability to get anything from them. However, Ole was their best mate and they didn't respond to that either. Also, the anti Ralf 'Ted Lasso' stuff appeared in the media months before Ralf began lifting the lid. I see his increasing frankness as an increasing recognition of reality.

My worry is that it's not realistic/possible to remove all this toxicity in one fell swoop so going in to next season we might still have these negative elements lingering in the background making ETH's job a lot harder, we really need everyone on the same page if a real "reboot" is going to happen.
I worry about that too. I can well see a situation in which we get to Christmas and it's completely toxic. Briefings against Ten Hag as being 'a guy who's never managed outside of Holland' and who is 'out of his depth in the Premier League.' People are saying stuff like it can't get worse. It definitely can. If there aren't big changes this summer I fear the Board will be just setting Ten Hag to be another human shield.

Probably about level with Mao for worst cultural reboot in the history of history as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to mention that adding an undroppable alpha male like Ronaldo to a dressing room which is already divided by players who don’t think the team gets picked on merit was the catalyst for the whole shit show to collapse in on itself. A tipping point that had obviously been reached before Rangnick took over.
A clear eyed take, which more people should be able to grasp. Somehow, however, it keeps going over people's heads. I suppose it's easier/nicer to believe Ralf is a garbage manager and if we just replace him with the right guy everything will be fixed. Accepting how deep rooted the problem is means accepting we may have to spend years watching City and Liverpool outshine us. Looked at like that I guess it's understandable why people cling to a less unpalatable answer to our ills.

fallengt

"Ones who want to stay, stay at the club"
That would be all of them. No other club rewards mediocrity like United.

Micky Targaryen

DDG: *Tells it like it really is and calls out the toxicity in the dressing room*

Supporters: *Attacks DDG instead*

Some of you fans are really precious.

afatzp

I don't see any benefits De Gea calling out in public. To some extent, it's the senior players' responsibilities to address such issues in dressing room, and De Gea failed on this role too, no exception. The same applies to Maguire, Bruno, Varane and Ronaldo.

You can imagine Keane back in the days would keep everyone on their toes to stay focused, give 100% and live up to high standard. We are desperately missing such leadership in dressing room. It's easy to speak big talk in public, but what actions these senior players have taken to solve the problems ? Or they just think they could do their own part well enough and all those failure can be blamed on others ?

Teja

I don't see any benefits De Gea calling out in public. To some extent, it's the senior players' responsibilities to address such issues in dressing room, and De Gea failed on this role too, no exception. The same applies to Maguire, Bruno, Varane and Ronaldo.

You can imagine Keane back in the days would keep everyone on their toes to stay focused, give 100% and live up to high standard. We are desperately missing such leadership in dressing room. It's easy to speak big talk in public, but what actions these senior players have taken to solve the problems ? Or they just think they could do their own part well enough and all those failure can be blamed on others ?
Keane was part of a functioning dressing room. At this point my view of the squad is that they're divided into cliques and are at eachother's throats constantly.

I assume the want-outs and the disgruntled players like Bailly, Pogba, Shaw, Lingard, VdB etc are one group.

The Maguire gang (if he has one, hopefully he does given he's captain) is another.

Ronaldo has his own pull etc.

It doesn't help that Rangnick has no authority at all - partly due to his man management skills and partly because he was only around for 6 mo.

First thing for the new manager to do is to assert his authority. Do what Arteta did, freeze out senior players if necessary. Play the ones that really want to give 100% in training and in matches.

Judas

Open to offers

Keane literally went on tv and slagged off half the dressing.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
"Ones who want to stay, stay at the club"
That would be all of them. No other club rewards mediocrity like United.
Exactly. Most of these would have to be pushed out because they're happy collecting the underserved wages they wouldn't get elsewhere.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

It's a collective clustefeck indeed, what DDG said screams of a player trying to distance himself from the shit publicly. Even if he was one the rare consistent performer, I still don't like airing that kinda dirty laundry so openly.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Exactly. He talks like he's above the rest of the team because he made a few saves- like every other goalkeeper in bad teams also did.

If he thinks he's such a character in a dressing room lacking them, help get them pulling in the same direction rather than complaining about it publically.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still think fans/players are getting abit dramatic. It’s been a horror season. Morale is low and people are looking at someone to blame. Some players will go and others will try and gain renewed confidence in the new season alongside some new faces bringing the positivity back. One thing I’ve realised in football is it moves incredibly fast and can chance in an instant. If Utd get the recruitment right this summer, bring in 3/4 top players and we get some confidence going, we are more than capable of having a very good season. The cloud of negativity from the fans needs to go, we all need to look to bring some positivity and confidence next campaign.

Donald Dodd

I am all in favour of our no 1's statement..for months we've been hearing"considering my options".."won't renew contract".."wants to leave".. Simply all those who wish to leave should be made to stand at one side and sold..then we can properly recruit those who want to play for the badge.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think it's strange when our fans get on his back. He's not a "modern sweeper keeper" but he's made saves that made me doubt my eyes, saves that I've had to watch in slow motion to see how he did it. DeGea never downed tools and it's not his fault he's got some real donkeys ahead of him in defense. Now he comes out and says these malcontents can get to feck if they don't honor the shirt, and people say he should go too. I don't think this is a good look for our fans.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
And he is an example of a player that wanted to leave, had a medical and extended for a big chunk of money when his move wasn't possible anymore. If I'm being honest I don't trust him at all and wouldn't surprised if he is just trying to cover his own backside. But the message is in general correct whoever wants to leave or doesn't the temperament that this club needs should leave, no hard feelings on my part, just leave.
Both parts of this are correct. and let's not fool ourselves, there are many better keepers out there than DDG - and it begins to look as if the Spain manager agrees. DDG must have been in church twice a day praying Enrique didn't get the United job

arnie_ni

In my post, I said I fully get the sentiment. I’m just a little tired of players covering their own arses when they’ve done ok, these comments are self serving.

I’m not sure where Lingard fits in this discussion. Nor Rashford. Did either play today or Brighton? DdGs comments today may have included those 2 but they sure wouldn’t have stopped at them alone so it’s time to stop lambasting a few you’ve chosen not to like & look at the bigger picture, we aren’t dealing with just a few bad apples.

Lingard has played how many times this season & is on his way out yet you’re upset about him rather than the McTs or the Maguires which is the exact misguided outrage that plagues this fanbase. Rashford scored 20 goals last season with said injury but you’d rather focus on his surgery than the fact Shaw has been terrible all season goes away with England scoring a goal then pulls a DdG & blames everyone else but himself when on international duty. Both Lingard & Rashford have been terrible this season but look at their games played & they’ve been peripheral, yet they’re the 2 players you want to compare DdG with. . .

DdG sulked after not getting the Madrid move by the way, he isn’t beyond reproach. He’s hardly got top clubs banging down his door any longer & collects a kings ransom, so yes I’m sure he’d like to stay.
Again, he isn't talking about the performances on the pitch.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Since fergie left how many seasons has he got player of the season? Curious
I'm afraid that's more a reflection on the club's mistakes than anything else. Ask yourself if he'd get in City's team, Liverpool's or even Tottenham and Arsenal's. I think the answer is a resounding no. I also think at leat three more PL keepers are above him. Yes, those in front of him don't help (I played half a season where my youngest defender was 38!) but he doesn't organise that defence, he doesn't dominate his six year box, let alone penalty area) and he is far, far, far from the bravest keeper I've ever seen. And then, like it or not, there's the modern-day need to be able to sweep and, more importantly. play the ball out of defence. DDG can't do either

pawanraj

I hope the new manager gets the support he needs to actually affect the change in the team dynamics. It's gonna be a bumpy couple of years if we decide to trust the manager (and assuming the manager is the right one).

It's gonna be more than a couple of years if we cannot keep the faith and start to look for a different manager in 6 months...

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Keane was part of a functioning dressing room. At this point my view of the squad is that they're divided into cliques and are at eachother's throats constantly.

I assume the want-outs and the disgruntled players like Bailly, Pogba, Shaw, Lingard, VdB etc are one group.

The Maguire gang (if he has one, hopefully he does given he's captain) is another.

Ronaldo has his own pull etc.

It doesn't help that Rangnick has no authority at all - partly due to his man management skills and partly because he was only around for 6 mo.

First thing for the new manager to do is to assert his authority. Do what Arteta did, freeze out senior players if necessary. Play the ones that really want to give 100% in training and in matches.
:lol:So you've no idea if these cliques exist, but you'll moan about them anyway.

ForeverRed1

I'm afraid that's more a reflection on the club's mistakes than anything else. Ask yourself if he'd get in City's team, Liverpool's or even Tottenham and Arsenal's. I think the answer is a resounding no. I also think at leat three more PL keepers are above him. Yes, those in front of him don't help (I played half a season where my youngest defender was 38!) but he doesn't organise that defence, he doesn't dominate his six year box, let alone penalty area) and he is far, far, far from the bravest keeper I've ever seen. And then, like it or not, there's the modern-day need to be able to sweep and, more importantly. play the ball out of defence. DDG can't do either
I do agree with you on many points, he probably isn’t the most modern goalkeeper and at some stage we will need to look at that, at the same time we haven’t seen him in a functional team with a top defence infront of him for 10 years. He has also been our best player, no matter what anyone says, in this era. He is the least of our worries at this moment and has the right attitude and mentality. I think he can be a help to ETH next season as he will need some on his side with the right understanding of what it means to wear this shirt.

I’d keep him next season and see how he does before even thinking about replacing him.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think it's strange when our fans get on his back. He's not a "modern sweeper keeper" but he's made saves that made me doubt my eyes, saves that I've had to watch in slow motion to see how he did it. DeGea never downed tools and it's not his fault he's got some real donkeys ahead of him in defense. Now he comes out and says these malcontents can get to feck if they don't honor the shirt, and people say he should go too. I don't think this is a good look for our fans.
agreed.

Adamsk7

Honestly think we’re starting to behave shamefully. Maybe years of not winning anything is doing this or maybe it’s the many previous years of winning, who knows…..

De Gea isn’t a modern keeper who runs out of his box or dummies an oncoming striker or smashes a 40 yard pass to our wingers but so what? The notion that you HAVE to play with that type of keeper now and to f*%k with how good you are at actually stopping shots is quite frankly ludicrous.

David has proved this season he is still one of, if not THE best, shot stoppers in the world. He makes unbelievable saves and that’s actually incredibly rare, yet some here take it for granted. I’d take that over a sweeper keeper any day - how bouts we just get some good outfield players that can do that?!?

Also, I think his kicking is massively overplayed as “bad”. I actually think he’s a pretty good passer of the ball he’s just always given horror back passes that hardly set him up for success. When he first joined, there was lots of talk about how good his possession and kicking was……..oddly, we had better defenders and full backs that made forward runs then too….

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I do agree with you on many points, he probably isn’t the most modern goalkeeper and at some stage we will need to look at that, at the same time we haven’t seen him in a functional team with a top defence infront of him for 10 years. He has also been our best player, no matter what anyone says, in this era. He is the least of our worries at this moment and has the right attitude and mentality. I think he can be a help to ETH next season as he will need some on his side with the right understanding of what it means to wear this shirt.

I’d keep him next season and see how he does before even thinking about replacing him.
Agree that replacing DDG is far from the top priority... but I do think we will have to move on at some time and we could get some money for him now and possibly next year. After that, he'd be another player we let go for nothing. And if a more all-round keeper become available in the summer, at a decent price (ie same as we were to get for DDG), I think we should at least consider it. You have to presume Nick Pope, for instance, will be available in the next few weeks...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Couldn't agree more after reading this thread.

DDG is only confirming what we have all suspected for a long time now; that the dressing room is toxic as feck. He wants us, the fans, to know the truth. I cannot fathom why so many in this thread are digging him out for it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Honestly think we’re starting to behave shamefully. Maybe years of not winning anything is doing this or maybe it’s the many previous years of winning, who knows…..

De Gea isn’t a modern keeper who runs out of his box or dummies an oncoming striker or smashes a 40 yard pass to our wingers but so what? The notion that you HAVE to play with that type of keeper now and to f*%k with how good you are at actually stopping shots is quite frankly ludicrous.

David has proved this season he is still one of, if not THE best, shot stoppers in the world. He makes unbelievable saves and that’s actually incredibly rare, yet some here take it for granted. I’d take that over a sweeper keeper any day - how bouts we just get some good outfield players that can do that?!?

Also, I think his kicking is massively overplayed as “bad”. I actually think he’s a pretty good passer of the ball he’s just always given horror back passes that hardly set him up for success. When he first joined, there was lots of talk about how good his possession and kicking was……..oddly, we had better defenders and full backs that made forward runs then too….
On that measure, we'd have kept Bosnich. He arrived before the back pass rule change and looked excellent. But on the ball, he was horrible. Clearly something he never learnt todo.

Sorry but the game has moved forward and one of the reasons we are in the mess we are is the club have not. Leave alone DDG not being a sweeper keeper (and I hate to admit it by yes they have to be now), he hardly leaves his line and fails to dominate the six-yard box let alone his penalty area

Teja

:lol:So you've no idea if these cliques exist, but you'll moan about them anyway.
Eh we speculate. I think it's known that there are cliques in the dressing room. There were reports of Ronaldo gang v Maguire gang etc before. No smoke without fire etc. Even Rangnick alluded it to it in his comments on how captains should be decided.

Anyway, my overall point is that you can't criticize De Gea for not fixing the situation internally just because Keane etc were able to before.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Eh we speculate. I think it's known that there are cliques in the dressing room. There were reports of Ronaldo gang v Maguire gang etc before. No smoke without fire etc. Even Rangnick alluded it to it in his comments on how captains should be decided.

Anyway, my overall point is that you can't criticize De Gea for not fixing the situation internally just because Keane etc were able to before.
I've heard people talk about a Portuguese clique, but never a Maguire one. Just seems unlikely if the rumours about players questioning his captaincy or being picked are true at all.

Oranges038

Nowt to do with being a modern sweeper keeper. He's really good at one thing and basically just doesn't bother with the other nine tenths of his job.

If you had a someone in work who was basically shit for 3 years, ignored most of the aspects of their job, did one thing really well for a year and then started calling other people out.

You'd think that's they are great for doing it and it's actually a good thing? That they shouldn't be criticized for their total lack of self awareness about their own role in the mess?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nowt to do with being a modern sweeper keeper. He's really good at one thing and basically just doesn't bother with the other nine tenths of his job.

If you had a someone in work who was basically shit for 3 years, ignored most of the aspects of their job, did one thing really well for a year and then started calling other people out.

You'd think that's they are great for doing it and it's actually a good thing? That they shouldn't be criticized for their total lack of self awareness about their own role in the mess?
De Gea's performances are utterly irrelevant, as are Mata's in regard to his interview during the week. Because they're criticising others' lack of professionalism, not their poor performances. De Gea can be an utter non-entity on the pitch and still be absolutely entitled to call that out.

If people want to discuss De Gea's actual performances on the pitch, there's a spearate thread entirely for that.

JB7

Exactly. He talks like he's above the rest of the team because he made a few saves- like every other goalkeeper in bad teams also did.

If he thinks he's such a character in a dressing room lacking them, help get them pulling in the same direction rather than complaining about it publically.
Goes arm in arm with his comments the other day about being proud of his season and saying that he thinks he did well. He genuinely appears to think he’s not a part of the problem.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Some of you who blamed him have probably never played as a GK with shit defenders that you cant trust in front of you where they keep putting you in awkward positions. Put any GK behind a defence he doesnt trust and he will perform worse.

JB7

De Gea's performances are utterly irrelevant, as are Mata's in regard to his interview during the week. Because they're criticising others' lack of professionalism, not their poor performances. De Gea can be an utter non-entity on the pitch and still be absolutely entitled to call that out.

If people want to discuss De Gea's actual performances on the pitch, there's a spearate thread entirely for that.
You’re missing the point though; if you’re good at one aspect of your job but terrible every other part of it, then it’s your professional responsibility to improve the other areas. How can he call people out for not being professional when he literally asked the club to bring in a goalkeeper coach who didn’t stretch him in those aspects of the game after Hoek left?

gajender

You’re missing the point though; if you’re good at one aspect of your job but terrible every other part of it, then it’s your professional responsibility to improve the other areas. How can he call people out for not being professional when he literally asked the club to bring in a goalkeeper coach who didn’t stretch him in those aspects of the game after Hoek left?
I maybe reaching a bit here but United's Spanish contingent does know how to play United fans like a fiddle , Herrera in the past and now Mata , De Gea just in last week not liking it a bit .