De Gea vs. Peter and Edwin

arthurka

Vds made everything look so easy and made the best defensive pair what it was. Never had to worry about anything. His handling and distribution was second to none.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I was too scared to say this in the previous thread, but here goes:

I didn't watch any football till ~2005-6 so I obviously missed all of Schmeichel. The only places I've seen him are his great save compilations, old game highlights, and ... season reviews.

In a few seasons (can't remember right now, maybe 95-96?) I noticed a LOT of mistakes by him, including many that led to goals. Positioning errors on crosses, getting caught out by snap-shots. Mistakes that VDS definitely never made and that DDG pretty much stopped after his rocky start. There were of course awesome saves. And 1v1 domination unlike both VDS and DDG.

So, was it just my impression or was Schmeichel indeed error-prone?

Uniquim

Definitely better IMO. The areas Pete might still edge are more the dominance of the area, and one-on-ones... though Dave is getting right up there on those too these days.
Schmeichel also has a better goal scoring record than De Gea. 2 goals (the scissor kick was offside though).

Not going to weigh in more than that. Too buzzed to not pick De Gea at the moment.

Sir A1ex

Schmeichel also has a better goal scoring record than De Gea. 2 goals (the scissor kick was offside though).
Yep, David needs to work on that, he's letting himself down there. I mean, you can never know what goes on on the training pitch, but it's like he's not spending any time working on his finishing.

Norris

VdS's organization at set-pieces
Schmeichel's leadership
DDG Natural reflexes and Passing

Those are the greatest strengths I see in those players. Personally, I would take van Der Sar. He just made everything look so easy.

Edit: Actually, changed my mind. Schmeichel it is.

pauldyson1uk

I didn't watch any football till ~2005-6 so I obviously missed all of Schmeichel. The only places I've seen him are his great save compilations, old game highlights, and ... season reviews.

In a few seasons (can't remember right now, maybe 95-96?) I noticed a LOT of mistakes by him, including many that led to goals. Positioning errors on crosses, getting caught out by snap-shots. Mistakes that VDS definitely never made and that DDG pretty much stopped after his rocky start. There were of course awesome saves. And 1v1 domination unlike both VDS and DDG.

all keepers are, does not mean they are bad keepers.
VDS made plenty of error so has DDG.
I would advise you to watch some vids of Peter and you will see how good he was

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Best in the world right now, but still below Schmeichel level overall for me (as far as United keepers go). In terms of wider performances over the last 25-ish seasons, I'd rank him below only the quartet of Buffon, Schmeichel, Kahn and Neuer (going through a mediocre patch by his standards, but his overall peak was phenomenal) - with one on par with De Gea (mid 2000s Čech - who was a different beast pre-Reading and gets severely underrated), and just ahead of the likes of Preud'Homme and Van der Sar and Peruzzi. But the thing is, it's hard to tell at times from an individual standpoint - and you can't quite put him in context because they all had good to great defenses in front of them (with maybe an exception or two here and there), and performed in big, big European and international matches. Though De Gea does still have a lot of time on his side, so he could end up really close to, or level with a couple of the the Top 4 (and that's no minor feat because all of them are in, or right on the edge of Top 10 all time status). And he is probably the best pure goalkeeper from that entire selection apart from only Buffon (who's the best pure goalkeeper ever, IMO), and probably Kahn.

He is very unlucky in that his emergence has coincided with United going through a rough patch (which again, makes it hard to evaluate his performances from a micro and macro perspective in big European matches - something that Buffon, Schmeichel, Kahn, Neuer excelled at - and in comparison with them, David has played maybe 4 big European matches overall - vs Real Madrid and Bayern Munich), as well as the Spanish national team going through a rough patch after an era of overwhelming success which inflated Casillas' overall stature - despite him being inferior to De Gea as far as goalkeeping pedigree goes. Put him in place of Casillas on those teams, and De Gea would be talked of as one of the genuine all time greats, and if he had maintained this level - then very close to Buffon's GOAT class. David really deserves a better platform to showcase his skill, because he really isn't lacking in terms of individual talent. Sure hope we can provide him with that, or he won't stay for long (and you won't be able to begrudge him, because not playing in the Champions League regularly doesn't suit a keeper of his standing).

Sylar

Big Pete was just a massive mountain of a man in goal. I was more surprised when people scored past him (especially in one on ones) then when he saved it. But he also had two great defensive partnerships in front him.
I think Schmeichel > VDS but I did like VDS (shame he didnt come in 99 but glad we still ended up getting him)

For De Gea to surpass Schmikes I think he needs the longevity, but in terms of goalkeeping and big saves, I think hes better than VDS. And hes not helped by the shambles in front of him.

Blessed to have seen all three keeping goal for us though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I've been around to enjoy the era of all 3. Who is better? I don't know. But DDGs importance is leagues ahead of the others. It's a derivative of the fact the teams DDG has played with are worse than who vDS and Pete played with, sure. But DDG is just... I don't know how to phrase it but I can't remember a goal keeper who is truly a game changer the way DDG is.

Mainoldo

Peter Schmeichel is arguably the greatest keeper of all time. Just saying before we make judgements!! All 3 of them are world class though. VDS harder to judge as he was peak around the times of Buffon, Toldo, Casillas, Barthez how were some really great keepers.

hobbers

De Gea's ability is more vital to the team that the other two, that's for sure.

Obviously Schmeichel was quite a bit different in his goalkeeping style to VDS and De Gea. If you had to order them than I'd go with Schmeichel>DDG>VDS

Fitchett

DDG for me. His shot stopping is as good as Schmeichel's was, but he has to do it much more often, due to playing in an inferior team. Plus, great as Schmeichel was, he used to drop the occasional clanger, which DDG rarely does. VDS is a notch below, not as good a shot stopper, but calm and a great organiser who rarely made mistakes. He also had the benefit of playing behind a better defence than the other two have.

All 3 are great keepers and we are so fortunate to have had them at United. In my 53 years of watching United, those three are easily the best keepers we've had.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He's the best we ever had by a country mile.

Kazi

I have him at #2 behind Peter at the moment. Don't see him getting to #1 unless he stays for a good few more years tbh.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Needs longevity to eclipse Schmikes but definitely better than Van Der Sar. When you think of all the points that Schmiechel saved United and how instrumental he was in securing the Treble, De Gea has a bit more to do.

But nevertheless, De Gea is just unreal at the moment. Just hope those feckers in Spain keep their grubby mitts off.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
In terms of talent, De Gea is the best we've had. He's pushing at top 10 goalkeepers of all time already I'd say. It's incredible how good he is. So comfortable saving with his legs as well as his hands.

Desperately hope he stays.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think Schmikes edges it, because his kits were cooler.

izzydiggler

They all had different qualities. Schmeichel was incredible with 1-on-1's and a club legend. VDS was more an organiser, calm and solid, rather than performing the spectacular and DDG has amazing shot stopping, reflexes and distribution.

Have to go with DDG though - likely to leave and not gain the legacy of Pete but has to work 'miracles' almost on a weekly basis without anything close to the defence that the other 2 had...and that's forgetting that they also had attackers that would score 3/4 goals a game on a regular basis. Simply DDG 'wins' more points per game than pretty much any keeper I've ever seen, making him more valuable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes The best goalkeeper I have ever seen without a doubt. Just hope we keep him for when we become successful again like he deserves.

I judge it based on how i feel when a striker bears down on goal.

With Pete i always felt he was going to save one v ones and dominate on crosses, but i never expected the super saves in other situations. With DDG i still get a bit twitchy on crosses but i just expect him to save everything else. It's pretty even.

VDS was very good but DDG has surpassed him now.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Schmikes
De Gea
VDS

In that order. De Gea stays here for another 5 years and he may surpass Peter.

beergod

To me, he combines some of the attributes of both at this point. He has similar shotstopping ability to Schmeichel to just pull off that jaw dropping save from nowhere, but lacks the absurd long throw and physical dominance. A bit similar to VDS in that he has good distribution and superb positioning, while he seemingly lacks VDS's excellent organizational ability. At this point he is well rounded and the scary part is that he is improving every year and is getting closer to their ability to handle crosses. When he gets to the stages where VDS and Schmeichel played for us, who knows where he could be.

The part that always gets to me about De Gea is how well rounded he is becoming as a GK. He has always been an excellent shotstopper, but he is improving the weaker facets of his game at an astounding rate every year.

Last edited:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused

He had a real wobble at the start of the treble season which sometimes creates the impression that he was more error prone than he was, iirc he found his form again but had decided to leave the club as he thought he couldn't meet the demands anymore.

I had decided a few months ago that DDG is a better shot stopper than Pete, but like most I thought that DDG could never match Petes overall influence throughout the team, Petes organisation from the back was crucial. I'm starting to reconsider this now however, its amazing to say but I actually think DDG is our talisman at this moment - I don't think the presence of any other player in the PL would give me as much confidence as DDG. Aguero would be the obvious contender but I think I would still opt for DDG (and stick with Martial and Rashford!) - its incredible!

Ixion

Schmeichel made mistakes (more so in the last couple of seasons) but all keepers do, DDG almost let Lukaku score yesterday when he tried to be clever on that backpass.

I've seen some people say Schmeichel played with a better defense but DDG also plays in a side that is happy to pass the ball sideways and back for 90 minutes and hope they create one chance (Romero has 6 clean sheets in 10 games this season...) whereas the sides Peter played in had more of a if you score 3 we'll score 4 mentality, Schmeichel himself contributed to that with his quick distribution which you rarely see from DDG.

I've seen all three for their entire United careers and there isn't any hesitation in my mind when I think about this question. Schmeichel is the best keeper I've ever seen.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

As @Fergus' son mentioned above, he made quite a few errors during the start of the '99 season. To the extent that Fergie let him have a little break during January of that year. Worked wonders though, because he came back in great form.

Mani

In term of ability he at par with Peter and better than VDS,he lacks the leadership other two has got but with time on his side he will certainly improve.