De Gea's future | Jose not confident but not worried about deal

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Don't think that we'll lose him now with Madrid finally out of the picture. Plus he just said that he loves it here (and I'm sure that he does). Just another part of contract negotiations.

vangagal

So, we are on winning run, Pogba is on good form, Martial is playing and scored, Jose looks calm and composed, well lets write something about United. We need story, oh, De Gea still hasnt announce his extension. Bingo!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They're basing it entirely on this:

While United have an option of a further 12 months the club are keen to ensure De Gea stays for a lot longer. Yet asked if he intends to remain at Old Trafford, the Spain goalkeeper refused to be drawn. “I feel really loved in this club – from the fans, from all the people who are for this club,” he said. “I am really happy to play for this club, one of best clubs in the world, so for me it’s really good to be part of this club.”
And not from any sort of inside source saying he's eyeing a move anywhere else. Do players ever say they will re-sign when the media ask? I'm struggling to remember one, especially high-profile players.

Nothing story, turning a diplomatic quote in to a meltdown article.

::sonny::

Dont see why he doesn't sign now. The madrid carrot is gone. What options are there now. Barca are happy with ter stegen and de gea isnt as highly rated in spain as he is here. Psg maybe ? Dont really see any options other than commiting to united.
Psg have Areola and Buffon

::sonny::

There are no big clubs with a vacant place in that role

Chelsea: Kepa
Psg: Areola, Buffon
Barça: Ter Stegen
Madrid: Courtois, Navas
Liverpool: Alisson
City: Ederson
Milan: Donnarumma
Juve: Szecny, Perin
Atletico: Oblak

^^^
Bayern: Neuer (getting old and injured)
Inter: Handanovic (getting old)

Bayern and Inter (can’t pay the wage) the only two unlikely options

Al-T

Nothing story. De Gea has always been completely professional. He doesn't bitch on social media or make oblique references to feeling 'disrespected'.He goes about how s business with the same diligence week in week out.

He knows how much he is valued here, but also knows he is contracted to 2020 and his quickly in football things can change. If he chooses to keep his contract business to himself, that's fair enough.

Revan

Assumptionman
There are no big clubs with a vacant place in that role

Chelsea: Kepa
Psg: Areola, Buffon
Barça: Ter Stegen
Madrid: Courtois, Navas
Liverpool: Alisson
City: Ederson
Milan: Donnarumma
Juve: Szecny, Perin
Atletico: Oblak

^^^
Bayern: Neuer (getting old and injured)
Inter: Handanovic (getting old)

Bayern and Inter (can’t pay the wage) the only two unlikely options
Buffon is 75 years old, Areola is not that good, as isn't Szeczsney. I can see PSG and Juve getting interested on him, though Juve likely won't offer near as much as us.

Nikelesh Reddy

No he does not. No-one should be on the ridiculous amount Sanchez is on. He's just a GK, and already the best paid one in the world.
Right,let’s not sign him up then ....Makes perfect sense to not tie up your best player on a long term contract when he’s got 15 months left on his current deal.Lets play hard ball and lose the player....

Plus I said he deserves the same contract as Pogba,not Sanchez....

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Right,let’s not sign him up then ....Makes perfect sense to not tie up your best player on a long term contract when he’s got 15 months left on his current deal.Lets play hard ball and lose the player....

Plus I said he deserves the same contract as Pogba,not Sanchez....
What you said was put him on what our best paid players get. That naturally includes what Sanchez is on.

And I'm not saying we should lose him, but there's gotta be limits.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
With Madrid out of the picture, I can only imagine him playing here for at least 5 more years. Looks like Edurne has learned her place.

Other than fecking PSG, I'm not worried about any club coming here to tempt him with an out-of-proportion insane salary.

T_Model101

The nightmare scenario for me is if he wants to go back to Atletico
Imagine them asking for Dave in part exchange for Oblak because he's only got a year left on his deal *shudders*
Very confident he'll re sign though

SirAF

Ageist
I love how the spanish football media use the word «important» :lol:

wolvored

We're still in the driving seat.

These +1 options are exactly our safety net. If a player wants to roll down their contract we have 18 mths leeway to "let them rot on reserves without training".

Player in their prime seldom winds down their contract, and iirc there's a gentlemen agreement between clubs not to abuse this as it'll set a very bad precedent for the future
We cant afford to let him rot in the reserves. I also think that you cant just let a big star sit out matches without looking into transferring them. I dont think its money as he already is on about £200 grand a week, I think he wants to win titles and have a chance of winning the Ch Lge. Hes not going to get that here.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We cant afford to let him rot in the reserves. I also think that you cant just let a big star sit out matches without looking into transferring them. I dont think its money as he already is on about £200 grand a week, I think he wants to win titles and have a chance of winning the Ch Lge. Hes not going to get that here.
We cant and they wont. 1 year without game is jsut the extreme insurance club seldom use, but the agents and the player knew it as well that if they're being completely unreasonable (going awol, refusing to play, erc) we have that option.

The 1 year auto extension is just there to make sure we dont lose a player for nothing. If the player didnt sign a new contract and wants to roll down his contract we have that 1 year insurance to sell him.

wolvored

We cant and they wont. 1 year without game is jsut the extreme insurance club seldom use, but the agents and the player knew it as well that if they're being completely unreasonable (going awol, refusing to play, erc) we have that option.

The 1 year auto extension is just there to make sure we dont lose a player for nothing. If the player didnt sign a new contract and wants to roll down his contract we have that 1 year insurance to sell him.
Yes I agree. I would like him to stay obviously, but put yourself in his shoes and you can see why he would want to leave. When you look back on your career you want to reflect on what you have won, not how much you were paid for not winning.

RedorDead21

Yes I agree. I would like him to stay obviously, but put yourself in his shoes and you can see why he would want to leave. When you look back on your career you want to reflect on what you have won, not how much you were paid for not winning.
He's at a huge club struggling as several others are. Moving doesn't guarantee long term success. It's just as likely we'll see a management change ourselves sooner rather than later. We have a lot of pieces to succeed we just need a leader capable of putting it all together. I think he'll stay because he loves the club and we are one of the big clubs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Apparently De Gea is very much Jose In so at least this one won't be dependant on him leaving in the summer... or will it...

youmeletsfly

Other than Psg, he has nowhere else to go.

Added to that, don t think anyone else affords the kind of wages we d offer him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Put yourself in his shoes. What are his options? What club is he going to sign for that guarantee him champions league success? I don't think he wants to leave, now Real aren't an option.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Buffon is 75 years old, Areola is not that good, as isn't Szeczsney. I can see PSG and Juve getting interested on him, though Juve likely won't offer near as much as us.
Szczesny has been excellent and there is absolutely no plan to drop him and in any case our second keeper is the best Italian keeper currently and would be starting in any of the other teams in Italy including Milan. On top of that we have our third keeper on loan to samp and he was the best serie b keeper last year and he is having a great start of the season this year with record clean sheets in serie a. Not a chance in hell that de gea would be a target even on a free transfer. I believe he will stay, but eventually the only potential buyer would be psg in 2 years when Buffon contact expires and he would be able to move for free

wolvored

Put yourself in his shoes. What are his options? What club is he going to sign for that guarantee him champions league success? I don't think he wants to leave, now Real aren't an option.
PSG and Juve have been mentioned. Both those are a virtual guarantee of the title, and a better bet than us at the moment for the Ch Lge. You think he doesnt want to leave, so why has he not signed the contract already?

Ban

PSG and Juve have been mentioned. Both those are a virtual guarantee of the title, and a better bet than us at the moment for the Ch Lge. You think he doesnt want to leave, so why has he not signed the contract already?
Well he's weighing his options obviously. Maybe he does want to stay but isn't satisfied with a financial offer.

cyberman

PSG have as much chance of winning the CL as we do.
Why do they keep getting mentioned as potential CL winners? How many times do they have to fail?

Fracture90

Honestly if he wants out I don't think it's due to money issues, but rather the overall state of the club.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
indeed - perhaps PSG will just offer him half a million a week and tell fifa to go FFP themselves

Certainly if I were his agent Id tell him to wait till the Jan window when he could in theory sign a pre-contract and see what crazy offers come in... then tell united he has an established market value in terms of wages - he is the best in the world - pay up or hes off (presumably to Paris)

I think he is allegedly on around £10m a year - but his transfer value (if he signed a new contract must be in the region of £75-£100m) so actually paying him half a million a week from a PSG point of view would be good business

Hopefully he is happy here and he stays but as a professional about to sign for possibly the peak of his career on a 5 year deal I think he (and his agent) are going to make sure its a lucrative deal and I don't blame them

predator

Youth NITK
Give him one hundred million dollars upfront and he'll sign that contract.

We simply can't lose our best player.

Then again, he will get offers from very big and successful clubs and we aren't exactly world beaters so I wouldn't blame him for going.