Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

I like him because he is also very proactive. He is going to make mistakes because this is his first season at a big club and the pressure is on him but he made three brilliant saves yesterday. I do not know but I feel more confident with him in goal than David now.

Pavl3n

Made Some gold stops today, not only that i could hear him shout “keepers” a few times when he came for the ball. Dominant trait Lacking in DDG.
There was a misunderstanding with Lindelof earlier in the 2nd half. Dean could've collected an easy ball only for Lindelof to decide to clear it for corner kick.
Later towards the end of the game there was a lose ball rolling by the out line. Lindelof was about to either take control or clear for a corner and I heard Henderson yell out "keeper". He didn't stop yelling until Lindelof realised he should just guard it.

SomeRandomPerson

I like him because he is also very proactive. He is going to make mistakes because this is his first season at a big club and the pressure is on him but he made three brilliant saves yesterday. I do not know but I feel more confident with him in goal than David now.
This is actually backed up by the stats on chances prevented. I saw this thread on twitter but I'll also just post the text for anyone who doesn't want to click the tweet and follow the thread -

THREAD: #Henderson’s shot prevention has been class in his first 8 #PremierLeague games & its played a big part in #ManchesterUnited’s success! He is preventing 3.07 chances occurring per game corresponding to ~0.44 ExG per game! That’s double #DeGea’s ExG prevented per game!

Here I will compare #Henderson’s cross claiming & sweeping (the two branches of shot prevention) so far this year to #DeGea’s & discuss how this has affected #ManchesterUnited’s defence. I will use my shot prevention model as sadly mainstream models miss many important actions!

Sweeping: #Henderson’s sweeping has been highlighted after his tidy display vs #THFC & it wasn’t a one off! So far this year for #ManchesterUnited he has prevented 11 opposition chances occurring by sweeping which corresponds to preventing 0.15 ExG/90 (#PL avg is 0.10 ExG/90)

#DeGea’s sweeping has been criticised but actually he’s been far more active than last year but indeed he’s still sweeping at a below avg rate! #DeGea has prevented 14 opposition chances occurring by sweeping which corresponds to preventing 0.07 ExG/90 (#PL avg is 0.10 ExG/90)

#Henderson’s sweeping vs #DeGea’s 1. #Henderson sweeps more often & further from goal & this has so far prevented an additional 0.08 ExG per game (ie saves #MUFC 1 additional goal every 12 games) 2. #DeGea retains possession more often as he seldom chooses to clears the ball

Claiming: Many have noted how active #Henderson is when it comes to claiming & so far this year for #ManchesterUnited he has prevented 12 opposition chances occurring by claiming crosses which corresponds to preventing 0.29 ExG/90 which is well above the #PL avg of 0.20 ExG/90!

#DeGea’s claiming has been criticised again this year which is a little unfair. #DeGea has prevented 18 opposition chances occurring by claiming crosses which corresponds to preventing 0.15 ExG/90 which is below the #PL avg of 0.20 ExG/90 but is hardly disastrous.

#Henderson’s claiming vs #DeGea’s 1. #Henderson claims more often & further from goal & this has prevented an additional 0.14 ExG per game (ie saves #MUFC 1 additional goal every 7 games) 2. #DeGea is tidier & catches more often but this is cos he comes for “easier” crosses.

Conclusion: #Henderson’s prevention is above avg while #DeGea’s prevention is below avg #Henderson’s claiming+sweeping has prevented #MUFC conceding an extra 0.22 ExG/90 vs #DeGea #DeGea is tidier when he claims+sweeps but this doesnt outweigh the fact he is far less active

The fact #Henderson sweeps further from goal & claims crosses further from goal than #DeGea is a big plus for #ManchesterUnited’s defence as it means they can play higher & concentrate on defending a smaller area safe in the knowledge that #Henderson will come out if needed!

In the replies, he offers a comparison to Allison, Ederson, Nick Pope and Emi Martinez -

#Alisson & #Ederson usually have around 0.18 ExG prevented per game from throughballs & the best cross claimers ie #Pope & #Martinez usually have around 0.36 ExG prevented per game from crosses so #Henderson’s level isn’t a long way off those guys, he’s like 80% of the way there.

Tallis

My two lasting memories from the game against Spurs would be Cavani’s diving header and Henderson’s sweeping. There is a certain excitement from seeing a young academy player make his mark. It was with Mason last year and I think it’s this game for Hendo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think that thread sums it up pretty well.

Henderson is allowing or defence to be more confident in pressing high and getting tight, knowing that if a ball comes over the top Henderson will be there ready for it.

On set pieces he's also noticably more proactive, I've noticed our defensive line is being held a LOT higher now on free kicks than before. This all can't be a coincidence.

Whether he's a better shot stopper than de Gea right now is probably doubtful, but he's doing a great job in preventing other avenue of attacks that DDG has struggled in recently.

Foxbatt

He is learning quickly and it seems he is very confident in his abilities. I think we are going to let DeGea leave and the news is we may get Sam Johnstone back. That boy is very good and to me he is going to be even better than Dean. He is taller than Dean too.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The willingness to come off his line is huge. I hadn't really clocked it until yesterday but De Gea being unusually reticent (almost to the point that he never comes out of his box to meet the ball at all) has been having a huge, invisible effect on our defence. It effectively doubles the amount of space in behind our defensive line for strikers to run into. It's probably the reason why for a while our CBs have seemed slower playing for us than they did at their previous clubs or do at their next club, because the strikers have a much longer distance to make their pace advantage count. Maguire may be the perfect example of this.

The more you think about it, the more willingness to come out of the box and intervene and good judgement to get it right, are probably the most important qualities the keeper can have.
You also have to keep in mind how much he helps on crosses. Maguire is one of the best headers of the ball in the league but even he only wins 70% of his aerial duels. So if he loses 3/10 and those happen to be around the 6 yard box, if those 3 are on target, from that close there's a very good chance of scoring. This is when everyone blames Maguire for a goal but with Henderson in goal the chance doesn't even happen, because unlike De Gea, he will come and claim or punch that ball away...

Yik

I reckon he needs to bulk up a little. He's not the tallest of keepers so his presence in goal isn't imposing at all.

Threesus

I think that thread sums it up pretty well.

Henderson is allowing or defence to be more confident in pressing high and getting tight, knowing that if a ball comes over the top Henderson will be there ready for it.

On set pieces he's also noticably more proactive, I've noticed our defensive line is being held a LOT higher now on free kicks than before. This all can't be a coincidence.

Whether he's a better shot stopper than de Gea right now is probably doubtful, but he's doing a great job in preventing other avenue of attacks that DDG has struggled in recently.
Let’s be honest, he is never going to be better than Dave at shot stopping. I mean, in regards to shot stopping ability, I am not taking anyone in history over Dave.
As long as he is commanding in other aspects of the game, we should be alright. I hope we can give Dave a good farewell, after all that he has given us over the years, if we are phasing him out.

Lappen

Let’s be honest, he is never going to be better than Dave at shot stopping. I mean, in regards to shot stopping ability, I am not taking anyone in history over Dave.
As long as he is commanding in other aspects of the game, we should be alright. I hope we can give Dave a good farewell, after all that he has given us over the years, if we are phasing him out.
You could be right that he never will be as good, but he still can be wary good at it!
I liked to see his saves with the feet against spurs, can't remember seen that before from him. Improvement? Wery DdG looking saves.
And his arm-swing behind his back when he prepare himself for a shot is surly possible to train away.... already good but still clear improvement possibilities?

I rate DdG high but I don't like the situation the club may be in with the goalkeepers. It could be a media made problem, but if there is a situation with two unhappy keepers I would go for the alternativ that looks like the future.

Traub

This is actually backed up by the stats on chances prevented. I saw this thread on twitter but I'll also just post the text for anyone who doesn't want to click the tweet and follow the thread -

THREAD: #Henderson’s shot prevention has been class in his first 8 #PremierLeague games & its played a big part in #ManchesterUnited’s success! He is preventing 3.07 chances occurring per game corresponding to ~0.44 ExG per game! That’s double #DeGea’s ExG prevented per game!

Here I will compare #Henderson’s cross claiming & sweeping (the two branches of shot prevention) so far this year to #DeGea’s & discuss how this has affected #ManchesterUnited’s defence. I will use my shot prevention model as sadly mainstream models miss many important actions!

Sweeping: #Henderson’s sweeping has been highlighted after his tidy display vs #THFC & it wasn’t a one off! So far this year for #ManchesterUnited he has prevented 11 opposition chances occurring by sweeping which corresponds to preventing 0.15 ExG/90 (#PL avg is 0.10 ExG/90)

#DeGea’s sweeping has been criticised but actually he’s been far more active than last year but indeed he’s still sweeping at a below avg rate! #DeGea has prevented 14 opposition chances occurring by sweeping which corresponds to preventing 0.07 ExG/90 (#PL avg is 0.10 ExG/90)

#Henderson’s sweeping vs #DeGea’s 1. #Henderson sweeps more often & further from goal & this has so far prevented an additional 0.08 ExG per game (ie saves #MUFC 1 additional goal every 12 games) 2. #DeGea retains possession more often as he seldom chooses to clears the ball

Claiming: Many have noted how active #Henderson is when it comes to claiming & so far this year for #ManchesterUnited he has prevented 12 opposition chances occurring by claiming crosses which corresponds to preventing 0.29 ExG/90 which is well above the #PL avg of 0.20 ExG/90!

#DeGea’s claiming has been criticised again this year which is a little unfair. #DeGea has prevented 18 opposition chances occurring by claiming crosses which corresponds to preventing 0.15 ExG/90 which is below the #PL avg of 0.20 ExG/90 but is hardly disastrous.

#Henderson’s claiming vs #DeGea’s 1. #Henderson claims more often & further from goal & this has prevented an additional 0.14 ExG per game (ie saves #MUFC 1 additional goal every 7 games) 2. #DeGea is tidier & catches more often but this is cos he comes for “easier” crosses.

Conclusion: #Henderson’s prevention is above avg while #DeGea’s prevention is below avg #Henderson’s claiming+sweeping has prevented #MUFC conceding an extra 0.22 ExG/90 vs #DeGea #DeGea is tidier when he claims+sweeps but this doesnt outweigh the fact he is far less active

The fact #Henderson sweeps further from goal & claims crosses further from goal than #DeGea is a big plus for #ManchesterUnited’s defence as it means they can play higher & concentrate on defending a smaller area safe in the knowledge that #Henderson will come out if needed!

In the replies, he offers a comparison to Allison, Ederson, Nick Pope and Emi Martinez -

#Alisson & #Ederson usually have around 0.18 ExG prevented per game from throughballs & the best cross claimers ie #Pope & #Martinez usually have around 0.36 ExG prevented per game from crosses so #Henderson’s level isn’t a long way off those guys, he’s like 80% of the way there.
How long did it take you to upload those pictures?

Varun1

He is learning quickly and it seems he is very confident in his abilities. I think we are going to let DeGea leave and the news is we may get Sam Johnstone back. That boy is very good and to me he is going to be even better than Dean. He is taller than Dean too.
Where did you read that news about Sam Johnstone? It would be nice to have him back as a 2nd keeper if DDG is leaving.
Is he out of contract in the summer?

Classical Mechanic

Johnstone is 28 and an established player?

TrustInOle

Elite mentality. Age 22 when he was knocking on the door was his Sheffield season, he's now our Number 1.

Absolutely loved that. One of the most exciting things for me, when it comes to Henderson is his potential. He already holds a fairly decent track record behind him, playing in the lower leagues and working his way up and with his confidence he just always seems to rise to the task at hand. Tremendous mentality and I for one can only see him getting better the more experience he gathers at this level.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Where did you read that news about Sam Johnstone? It would be nice to have him back as a 2nd keeper if DDG is leaving.
I don't see why he'd come back. He is a fantastic shot stopper but I'm not sure he'd get a fair run at the no.1 jersey with Henderson here and at his age I'd have thought he'd want to be playing every game and pushing to try to get in the England squad over Pickford. In fact if I were him I'd actually want to go to Everton and try to dislodge Pickford from the side maybe. Depends how much he backs his ability I suppose.

West Ham might be another option, particularly if they're in CL, not sure they've renewed Fabianski yet? Arsenal too, god knows Leno doesn't have much about him.

Foxbatt

It was on gimme sport and team talk. That United wants to bring back Sam Johnstone if DeGea leaves in the summer, which most predict he will. It may just all be bs of course.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some harsh criticism of him in the matchday thread.

People have (rightly) been arguing that his tendency to sweep/claim more will see us concede fewer chances and increase our comfort in playing a high-line. The downside is you're also likely to see more errors in that regard, as that more aggressive approach comes with increased risk. If people expected it to only be upside then they had unrealsitic expectations. Particularly so when it's a young goalkeeper bedding in as #1. If it was easy then everyone would do it.

Would like to see more from him on set-pieces generally but there's no need to bury the lad for one bad performance.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nervous moments, but calm catches in the end.

Needs to shout at his defenders if he wants to clear the ball, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.