Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyt

There isn't even anything special in this video but it shows how a proactive keeper can make it much easier for his defenders.

I have no doubt he's gonna have a better season than De Gea like the last time he went on loan.
Exactly! Hendo did nothing more than what most proactive GK's do. De Gea is just awful.

CM

That's pretty much just bog standard goalkeeping right there.

If anyone thinks that there's something special about it, it just shows how little of that DDG actually does compared to your average keeper.
Agreed. Henderson is clearly good enough to be a Premier League goalkeeper somewhere but I don't think it's here.

Ideal scenario is him having a good season on loan at Forest and us cashing in next summer. Get shot of De Gea too then we can look to address the goalkeeper situation properly next year, hopefully ten Hag can identify his targets in that time.

CallyRed

He has been brutally honest in an interview with TalkSport - basically said it was criminal he sat on the bench last season when he had opportunities to go out on loan and didn't want EtH to see him train when he arrived cos he thinks he would have been asked to stay

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

“Unfortunately, I threw the ball into my own net and was generally underwhelming”

Zoo

Bloody hell what does he expect. Unfortunate for him getting covid but De Gea took his chance. He’s so full of himself.

Idxomer

He seems so entitled and talks too much, the club should get rid of him entirely next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

“Unfortunately, I threw the ball into my own net and was generally underwhelming”
He was pretty good during the run he has when DDG was away in Spain. Just before the Europa final.

He made the odd mistake but so did DDG, we were much better as a team due to Henderson controlling his box. I think we made a mistake in not persisting with him.

At by now we would know if hes up to it or not and he would be no 1 or we would have a new keeper.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He was pretty good during the run he has when DDG was away in Spain. Just before the Europa final.

He made the odd mistake but so did DDG, we were much better as a team due to Henderson controlling his box. I think we made a mistake in not persisting with him.

At by now we would know if hes up to it or not and he would be no 1 or we would have a new keeper.
I completely disagree. Don’t rate him at all

Cassidy

That’s a fairly shocking quote.
From his point of view he understands he’ll be on the bench as long as the 350k a week keeper is around

CarbonStoolBites

Another bang average English keeper who thinks he’s the best thing since sliced bread, another shite decision by Ole and Ed Wood, should’ve been sold after his first loan.
These people were allergic to selling.

Get rid of him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not sure why people are against him. Barely played last season when he could have gone on loan to get more game time. For a promising keeper with high ambitions there's no reason to be happy sitting on the bench all season

bucky

Not that it needed any more confirmation that he was one of the leaks last season. Still, those quotes are unreal. Even if he was hard done by, he could just keep his mouth shut.

Cassidy

I completely disagree. Don’t rate him at all
Thats besides the point. We would have a new keeper fit for purpose now. Instead we have one we know isn’t in big wages

Brophs

The One and Only
There speaks a man who knows, barring something massive changing, his United career is over.

Genuinely find him funny now. Mediocre in every possible way with an ego the size of a skyscraper.

Only part I care about is that it shows, once again, we still haven't got out of the habit of not getting rid of players who don't want to be here and - in Henderson's case at least - seem to have active grudges/dislike of the club.

mu4c_20le

Not afraid to speak his mind. Wasn't he rumoured to be one of the leakers?

Cassidy

Except he says last year he was about to be first choice before he got COVID. So which is it?
Actually he is saying he was told he would be returning to be no1 in 2020. Which was also widely reported and the club didn’t follow through. Its true he got covid and the didn't really get alot of chances till DDG was away

The overall point really is that the club clearly does not communicate properly with its players and we have seen this with many players not just him.

Hopefully that changes going forward. He is not the first player to waste a season on the bench when they could have gone on loan or left because they were told something else.

Litch

I think more of an insight is the idea the Ole made promises to players that he never followed through on. Pretty sure Lingard et al were treated the same. No surprise there were issues in the dressing room….

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Actually he is saying he was told he would be returning to be no1 in 2020. Which was also widely reported and the club didn’t follow through. Its true he got covid and the didn't really get alot of chances till DDG was away
Yes. So last year he was set to be number 1 before he got COVID and De Gea considerably upped his game from the previous 2 seasons. So we were willing to bench a 350k a week keeper weren’t we? In fact he got quite a few games the season before from memory and seemed to be first choice in the league.

SER19

He was rubbish. Dog shit. Tough luck, de gea came back stronger

Cassidy

I think more of an insight is the idea the Ole made promises to players that he never followed through on. Pretty sure Lingard et al were treated the same. No surprise there were issues in the dressing room….
Pretty much this

edcunited1878

I don't trust those quotes nor how the conversation was intended....nobody is going to be guaranteed a starting spot going into that season unless you were the clear out and out better option, which was never the case with Henderson. To that, it's extremely hard to not start your highest earning player in that position, as long as they were not a total donkey like Sanchez and Lukaku became.

And that attitude of proving yourself to the new manager is the exact opposite of his quotes. Yeah, let the manager see what I have got because I can prove it to him. And it's not only just one a time thing, the guy is contracted to United longer than DDG is at this point.

Cassidy

Yes. So last year he was set to be number 1 before he got COVID and De Gea considerably upped his game from the previous 2 seasons. So we were willing to bench a 350k a week keeper weren’t we? In fact he got quite a few games the season before from memory and seemed to be first choice in the league.
No I don’t think we were willing to bench a 350k keeper and thats the issue.

Neither of them should be the no1 keeper by the way in my opinion. Yet we are still here with both on our books…. And in my opinion we have know that they both aint up to what we need for at least 2 years

Orange Tree

I don't begrudge him for being pissed sitting on the bench after being promised the GK spot. That said, De Gea really upped his game early in the season and he seemed to have fallen out with Ole as he never got a good run on the side again.

Tough luck. We need an upgrade on both anyway.

Brophs

The One and Only
The self-confidence of Joe Hart and the goalkeeping ability of……well, Joe Hart.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
No I don’t think we were willing to bench a 350k keeper and thats the issue.

Neither of them should be the no1 keeper by the way in my opinion. Yet we are still here with both on our books…. And in my opinion we have know that they both aint up to what we need for at least 2 years
I think we definitely were. Everything indicated Henderson was set to be number 1. He didn’t just get COVID - he had long COVID which resulted in him missing training for weeks at the start of the season. Personally I’d argue absolutely nobody should ever be guaranteed a starting place at Manchester United. You perform you start if you don’t someone else steps in. I’m with you though - I don’t think Henderson did enough the season before to cement a place and obviously de Gea has serious weaknesses as a modern keeper.

Ace of Spades

I don't begrudge him for being pissed sitting on the bench after being promised the GK spot. That said, De Gea really upped his game early in the season and he seemed to have fallen out with Ole as he never got a good run on the side again.

Tough luck. We need an upgrade on both anyway.
Only the first half, the second half he was below average.

Based Adnan

Probably saw the writing on the wall when De Gea was being praised left right and centre last season based on shot stopping despite performing horrendously in virtually every other goalkeeping stat.

The club doesn't have the balls to drop a player on 375k a week that has a profile as big as De Gea so he was always going to play.

Cassidy

I think we definitely were. Everything indicated Henderson was set to be number 1. He didn’t just get COVID - he had long COVID which resulted in him missing training for weeks at the start of the season. Personally I’d argue absolutely nobody should ever be guaranteed a starting place at Manchester United. You perform you start if you don’t someone else steps in. I’m with you though - I don’t think Henderson did enough the season before to cement a place and obviously de Gea has serious weaknesses as a modern keeper.
The season before when DDG was away he was playing. He got dropped for the Europa final, this tells you everything.

If we were serious about him being no1 we would have shifted DDG. We had the same issue with Cavani and Bailly being made false promises

Chief123

The audio interview below. Sounds like a man who probably won’t play for Utd again. Bit strange to come out and say you didn’t even want to speak to the new manager and wanted to get out of there.

He needs to accept sometimes his competition is going to be better than him. De gea started the season because Henderson had covid. De gea played brilliantly all season so warranted staying in the position.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My two thoughts are:

1) We badly mismanaged our squad last season and this is another example of that. Too many players not getting the gametime they thought they'd be getting.

2) Henderson has long been spoken about as someone who has what we might more positively describe as abundant self-confidence. Add that to the strong rumours that he was one of the players who leaked to the press and it's probably no harm that he isn't in the dressing room any more.

Ace of Spades

Probably saw the writing on the wall when De Gea was being praised left right and centre last season based on shot stopping despite performing horrendously in virtually every other goalkeeping stat.

The club doesn't have the balls to drop a player on 375k a week that has a profile as big as De Gea so he was always going to play.
Exactly, we could have sold him for some good money after his loan spell for good money when he was in demand, instead we had him rotting on the bench for no reason.

And yeah, he made a few mistakes but not like DDG never made any, and he was never going to be no.1 unless DDG is gone, no way we bench a player on that kind of money.

NewYorkRed

What a shocking quote. Like I legit had to read that twice. Kid thinks he’s Buffon.

Status
Not open for further replies.