Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

kps88

To be fair, our GK situation at the start of last season was ridiculous. Was always going to end with one extremely unhappy player. Ole needed to take a call and get rid of one of them.

Chief123

Surely must have misquoted him?

He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.
It’s exactly what he said. You can hear the interview on the video I posted above. He really is full of himself.

Withnail

He's a bit of a dope with an overinflated opinion of himself. He got covid and lost his place and De Gea was suddenly back in form and playing well so he was never going to be dropped. He's mad to think he could just stroll back into the team. It happens in football all the time. It's just tough luck.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There speaks a man who knows, barring something massive changing, his United career is over.
Yeah... I sympathize with his situation, but his position here is untenable. He's done.

JB7

He hasn’t really said a lot that we didn’t already know. It was public knowledge that he was going to start the season as number one. He got ill, missed a lot of training and the beginning of the season. He wanted to go out to play elsewhere, as you would at that stage. It’s not like he’s said that De Gea should have been dropped or anything.

The quote about not wanting Ten Hag to see him is odd though, because it suggests under confidence rather than the over confidence some seem to be reading it as. He’s essentially saying he’d want to keep him to be back up rather than saying he wants the manager to see him because he might play him (and in fairness he’s not wrong, he likely would have wanted to keep him as he’s a much better goalkeeper than Heaton). Not backing himself over a goalkeeper as limited as De Gea with a coach like Ten Hag coming in though, that is genuinely shocking. He’s not playing for us again.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The audio interview below. Sounds like a man who probably won’t play for Utd again. Bit strange to come out and say you didn’t even want to speak to the new manager and wanted to get out of there.

He needs to accept sometimes his competition is going to be better than him. De gea started the season because Henderson had covid. De gea played brilliantly all season so warranted staying in the position.

Agree except DDG did not perform brilliantly all season and was statistically in the bottom 5 percent of keepers in the league across some metrics.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He hasn’t really said a lot that we didn’t already know. It was public knowledge that he was going to start the season as number one. He got ill, missed a lot of training and the beginning of the season. He wanted to go out to play elsewhere, as you would at that stage. It’s not like he’s said that De Gea should have been dropped or anything.

The quote about not wanting Ten Hag to see him is odd though, because it suggests under confidence rather than the over confidence some seem to be reading it as. He’s essentially saying he’d want to keep him to be back up rather than saying he wants the manager to see him because he might play him (and in fairness he’s not wrong, he likely would have wanted to keep him as he’s a much better goalkeeper than Heaton). Not backing himself over a goalkeeper as limited as De Gea with a coach like Ten Hag coming in though, that is genuinely shocking. He’s not playing for us again.
I think it was more "I'm done with being promised things from this club, I don't want to compete with de Gea and risk wasting a year, I need to go where I'm guaranteed to play". The guy is 25 this year turning 26 this season. He's not wrong and it's the right decision for him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That might be the first time anyone has ever suggested that Dean Henderson might not be confident enough. His personality has long been noted for confidence bordering on arrogance.

hobbers

What happens when Ben Foster gets an identity disorder and starts thinking he's Peter Schmeichel.

JB7

That might be the first time anyone has ever suggested that Dean Henderson might not be confident enough. His personality has long been noted for confidence bordering on arrogance.
Not disputing that at all that’s why the quote stuck out to me so much. Any half decent goalkeeper should have been backing themselves to displace De Gea this summer.

Longshanks

Arrogance in all honesty a great trait for a GK to have.

I can actually fully understand his posistion, he doesn't want to be bench warming he wants to be playing and proving himself, he believes he is the best and wants to show everyone that, nothing wrong with that mentality.

I think he purely didn't want to waste another year possibly playing second fiddle to the highest paid GK in the world who is also one of the most flawed GK in the world. He couldn't of known who ETH would of picked as his no1 after having a look at the GK situation, there is a world cup before the end of the year and I'm sure he would like to be part of that didn't want to risk missing it bench warming at the start of the season.

AndySmith1990

It's fair enough being pissed off if the manager promises you the #1 spot and forces you to stay, only to never play you. It's not like he was the only player Solskjaer messed around like that. Just shit management all in all

led_scholes

People are upset for players who sit at their contract and people are upset about players who want to play, even if that means they have to leave.

He didn't say anything outrageous. He may overestimate his abilities, but it's not like he was benched by peak Yashin or Kahn. His competition is a rather average, declining GK, who is here because he is among the highest earners in the world and nobody wants him, and after many years of crying for leaving is now saying in public how much he "loves" the club.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Agree except DDG did not perform brilliantly all season and was statistically in the bottom 5 percent of keepers in the league across some metrics.
It amazes me how highly some still rate De Gea. Sanchez and Raya are preferred for Spain now. I’d have Henderson’s exact same attitude watching De Gea played in front of me week in and week out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever criticism might fairly be levelled at De Gea in general, the reality is that his own teammates thought he was our best player last year. Henderson just didn't do enough to get back in ahead of him, simple as.

The bigger issue is that the two of them should never have been kept together last season in the first place. If you're going to replace De Gea then you have to do it decisively, not feck around with two goalkeepers. That's a lesson we should bear in mind for the future.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hopefully he does alright at Forest and we can finally get the £25-30m we should’ve got for him the season he got promoted with Sheffield United

Nickelodeon

I have no issues with Henderson’s comments. If anything, it does prove how foolish we were to keep him as the second keeper when he could’ve gained more PL experience and increased his value. If he wants to play and we can’t guarantee it, he should be sold or sent on loan. That is a refreshing change of attitude compared to players like Lingard, Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly and many more who are just happy to collect the paychecks. Whether he’s good enough or not is another matter but at least he has the balls to back himself.

Klean

I'd recall him from the loan and let him sit on the bench for the whole year. Shocking statements.

Marwood

There's too much talk from the guy.

Didn't he also say he was exhausted once in the team because he put so much effort towards getting selected in the first place?

Plus all the other "I'll be United number one" type stuff.

But having said that it was really silly to have him sat around for a year.

Don't know what happened to Ole but as time went on he seemed to want a 90 man squad.

Last edited:

Lee565

It needed to be said to be fair, it seems like there were quite few players like him that got shafted by ole from him, to lingard to van der beek and a few others that wastefully rotted on the bench when they could have been sold or loaned and the quote about nobody caring about him whilst going through tough times is telling of how we have become a franchise with no soul compared to the days when fergie was in charge

Olecurls99

It needed to be said to be fair, it seems like there were quite few players like him that got shafted by ole from him, to lingard to van der beek and a few others that wastefully rotted on the bench when they could have been sold or loaned and the quote about nobody caring about him whilst going through tough times is telling of how we have become a franchise with no soul compared to the days when fergie was in charge
He's still employed by us and he's shitting on us. Cancel the loan and put him in the stands. Then he'll see how much we care. :devil:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He's still employed by us and he's shitting on us. Cancel the loan and put him in the stands. Then he'll see how much we care. :devil:
What the fuxk are you on about? We're the one who had been playing about with him and his career when he was nothing but desperate to put in a few good shifts for us and become a Utd legend.

You need your head checking.

Relevated

Not disputing that at all that’s why the quote stuck out to me so much. Any half decent goalkeeper should have been backing themselves to displace De Gea this summer.
He should have displaced him last couple seasons but it was Ole who kept DDG in, and was the reason we crashed out of so many cup comps.

criticalanalysis

Gonna be honest and say I have no issue with what he said.

He has belief, backs himself and is willing to sever ties with Manchester United just to get game time. You can't say that about the majority of the Utd team and it's exactly why it's a big shame he wasn't given more time. Whilst he may not be a super elite talent, at least he has the mentality and potential to become something greater.

If he performs for Forrest then I would massively welcome him back because I simply cannot believe De Gea will be in ETH's plan next season.

Relevated

Gonna be honest and say I have no issue with what he said.

He has belief, backs himself and is willing to sever ties with Manchester United just to get game time. You can't say that about the majority of the Utd team and it's exactly why it's a big shame he wasn't given more time. Whilst he may not be a super elite talent, at least he has the mentality and potential to become something greater.

If he performs for Forrest then I would massively welcome him back because I simply cannot believe De Gea will be in ETH's plan next season.
His desire, will, and determination to be here and perform well for us would have meant he puts in 190% each training session for us. He would have improved considerably with us and the right goalkeeper coaches. Those kinds of factors alone mean you keep the man at the club, instead of bringing in an outsider with no loyalty and only interested in the pay cheque.

OleGunnar20

Definitely a bit arrogant is our Dean, and obviously done at the club now. You can't really blame feeling aggrieved mind you - Ole's squad management was truly bizzare.

What was he thinking..

Andersonson

He seems arrogant yet weak. This guy aint gonna make it. His mentality isnt good enough to be a top GK.

If in his opinion, ETH were to see him and DDG in training and decide he would only be backup, then it directly contradicts his claims to deserve being no.1

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He thinks he is above the club and deserves everything he wants. If he were that good we would receive buying offers for him instead of loans, average PL goalkeeper.

Olecurls99

What the fuxk are you on about? We're the one who had been playing about with him and his career when he was nothing but desperate to put in a few good shifts for us and become a Utd legend.

You need your head checking.
We've been paying him huge money the whole time. We still are. He can do one

Relevated

He seems arrogant yet weak. This guy aint gonna make it. His mentality isnt good enough to be a top GK.

If in his opinion, ETH were to see him and DDG in training and decide he would only be backup, then it directly contradicts his claims to deserve being no.1
Hes not stupid, he knows the club would not drop the Spanish scaredy cat

criticalanalysis

His desire, will, and determination to be here and perform well for us would have meant he puts in 190% each training session for us. He would have improved considerably with us and the right goalkeeper coaches. Those kinds of factors alone mean you keep the man at the club, instead of bringing in an outsider with no loyalty and only interested in the pay cheque.
Yes and one thing I forgot to add is that he was saying these things even when he was at Sheffield United i.e that he didn't want to sit on the bench and was willing to be sold.

He may be an arsehole about it but he's been consistent with his aim.

Andersonson

Hes not stupid, he knows the club would not drop the Spanish scaredy cat
He is stupid or ignorant if he thinks he is any better than him atleast. He cant even take Pickfords place for the NT after being weeks and weeks on national duty together.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
:lol: That quote about not wanting ETH to see him. What a prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.