Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

GenZRed

I voted Romero but I would be happy with Henderson. I just can't see Romero being happy to serve as Number two to Henderson when Romero is an international.

It's good to see anyway that so many people who voted have to the sense to give DeGea the boot, or drop him.

Last edited:

hmchan

I voted Romero but I would be happy with Henderson. I just cna't see Romero being happy to serve as Number two to Henderson when Romero is an international.

It's good to see anyway that so mnay people who voted have to the sense to give DeGea the boot, or drop him.
I actually couldn't believe so many had voted for de Gea before the Chelsea game. It's better late than never though.

keithsingleton

Disappointed I now read over 50% want Henderson No1 next year. Granted De Gea playing badly but Henderson has to prove his worth in cup games and some premier matches to get No1 spot.

Looking like Ole sticking with him anyway. Hopefully De Gea can turn his form around.

Shiva87

Never seen such a dramatic decline in a GK's abilities. For me DDG was hands down the best keeper in the world between 2013 and 2018 but unfortunately the people who still defend him are delusional.
Ole has to be ruthless once again and he can't keep spouting the "for me Dave is the best keeper in the world" nonsense any longer. A goalkeeper's most important job is to inspire confidence in the team but this guy does the exact opposite, I don't trust him any longer and I'm guessing the players feel the same way.
The man is costing us vital points and trophies on a weekly basis and has to be replaced. Bench him or sell him doesn't really matter but Henderson must be given the #1 next season.
You can sign all the Sancho's in the world but you are going to win feck all with a keeper prone to such mistakes on a regular basis.
You are reading too much into Ole's words. He kept saying Sanchez will prove all you lot wrong. He will play games. He will come into the squad etc etc. - and then he was loaned to Inter.

There is a lot of difference between the lip service he gives the media and the conversations he is having with his players. DDG will know he messed up, and that he is playing for his position in the next 2 games. Mess up, and he's out.

Mcking

Well personally i'm not 100% convinced about Henderson yet, so i'd rather transition between DeGea and Henderson. With Henderson hopefully becoming a top keeper and replacing DeGea while being his back-up in .the mean time. Instead of booting out one of our best ever goalkeepers in the blind hope that Henderson is the real deal.

Romero is a great no2, he was brought in as a no2 but that's all he'll ever be. He's been a great servant and i wouldn't mind him staying but with DeGea and Henderson both in the squad i don't think he would ever play, so it would be better for his career to move on.
As I said, the No.1 position is not one you compete for. Romero should remain as No.2 if he wants to, but as for the starting goalkeeper, we have to make a decision between Henderson or De Gea, and commit to it.

Having two potential No.1s in the team leads to unnecessary pressure on both goalkeepers and the manager.

mu4c_20le

Disappointed I now read over 50% want Henderson No1 next year. Granted De Gea playing badly but Henderson has to prove his worth in cup games and some premier matches to get No1 spot.

Looking like Ole sticking with him anyway. Hopefully De Gea can turn his form around.
It's a romantic idea should we get a sizable offer for Dave, and then let him and Romero fight it out next year. If De Gea continues being shaky, then there may not be that much between them and perhaps its a good idea to let him develop with us, but the question for those romantic folk is this: are they happy with sitting at 5-6th again? Deano has had a great first PL season despite the blunders, and staying there for another year would be the most ideal. If he has the right mentality to play for us, then this shouldn't be a problem and he shouldn't see it as a disappointment. If he has less than two years on his contract, we should reward him with an extension with a promise that he'll be given a fair shot the season after.

Falcow

I think Ddg needs a long holiday like Fergie gave Schmeichel mid way through a season once. His poor form however has become permanent unfortunately. There is just no getting away from that, he actually appears to be getting progressively worse which is the scary part. His form over the past two seasons simply is not good enough.

Henderson has proved himself to be capable in the premership and deserves his chance next season in my view. If he is not good enough then time to go shopping.

croadyman

My big concern with De Gea even in his best years at the club was his poor distribution and lack of commanding the area.

Yes I agree that Henderson may have even worse distribution than DDG,however I feel that him coming back in the summer could give Dave the push he needs right now.

He just looks far too comfortable and knows his place is secure no matter how he performs.

EwanI Ted

It's a romantic idea should we get a sizable offer for Dave, and then let him and Romero fight it out next year. If De Gea continues being shaky, then there may not be that much between them and perhaps its a good idea to let him develop with us, but the question for those romantic folk is this: are they happy with sitting at 5-6th again? Deano has had a great first PL season despite the blunders, and staying there for another year would be the most ideal. If he has the right mentality to play for us, then this shouldn't be a problem and he shouldn't see it as a disappointment. If he has less than two years on his contract, we should reward him with an extension with a promise that he'll be given a fair shot the season after.
What blunders are you referring to?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If De Gea was a sweeper keeper in the mould of Ederson Allison or Neuer then I would be more sympathetic to him making a few blunders. As it is, he is very much in the shot-stopper category of GK.

Making good saves is basically the only thing DDG has in his locker. He isn’t good at coming out, he isn’t particularly commanding, and he isn’t good at quickly releasing the ball for counterattacks etc. All he has is the ability to make world class saves - if he is failing to do that as well now then time has come to get rid.

I would let Romero and Henderson battle it out for #1 next season, with the expectation that Henderson will be the long term option. If he isn’t up to the task next season then we play Romero and buy a new GK next summer.

stevoc

As I said, the No.1 position is not one you compete for. Romero should remain as No.2 if he wants to, but as for the starting goalkeeper, we have to make a decision between Henderson or De Gea, and commit to it.

Having two potential No.1s in the team leads to unnecessary pressure on both goalkeepers and the manager.
Well i don't see it that way mate, i think continuing with the experience of DeGea and allowing Henderson to come in and take over from Romero in the cup games is a good way to transition him into the side and let the manager see first hand if he's the real deal.

There's no problem with them competing if DeGea's form continues to decline and Henderson hits the ground running then he will quickly replace DeGea as first choice. With DeGea's wages we need to accept that he's here for the duration of his contract whether thats as no1 or no2. I don't see any other clubs matching what we pay him especially if he continues to decline which is a possibility.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think De Gea is just going through an annoyingly prolonged rough patch.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Maybe we need to pull another Lindegaard with De Gea. Rotate him and Henderson.

tomaldinho1

I don't see why people are against dropping DDG for Henderson - think about Courtois vs Cech - there has to come a time when you back a young keeper, especially given the hype we have created around Henderson, and also when you acknowledge a once great GK simply isn't quite as good as before. That much is obvious to me because it's been two years since DDG has been at his best & his style is also not a good match for what Ole is trying to do tactically.

I know Courtois was at Athletico which is a different proposition to Sheffield United but it was a different league and he was also younger than Henderson is now. All we keep hearing from inside United is how great Henderson is and he's been excellent for Sheffield United this season so what's the harm in letting him have his shot next season. It's not like he's 18 years old, he's 23 and has been one of the league's best keepers this season in a much weaker defence than ours.

mu4c_20le

Is he making as many as De Gea would you say?
I would say they are similar, but De Gea's have been more high profile. When Dean makes a mistake at Sheffield, nobody really cares, and it is usually forgotten 24 hrs later, but he actually cost his team the cup with that. Some of the goals he's let in this season have been pretty weak as well, and not just De Gea but any decent keeper like Kepa would've saved them. Either he reacts too late, or his positioning was a bit off.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We are going to stick with De Gea until we reach the point that fans say 'even a stick in goal is better than him' aren't we

Mihai

I voted Romero but I would be happy with Henderson. I just cna't see Romero being happy to serve as Number two to Henderson when Romero is an international.

It's good to see anyway that so mnay people who voted have to the sense to give DeGea the boot, or drop him.
Romero has been number 2 for several years, without making particular fuss about it.

Classical Mechanic

I would say they are similar, but De Gea's have been more high profile. When Dean makes a mistake at Sheffield, nobody really cares, and it is usually forgotten 24 hrs later, but he actually cost his team the cup with that. Some of the goals he's let in this season have been pretty weak as well, and not just De Gea but any decent keeper like Kepa would've saved them. Either he reacts too late, or his positioning was a bit off.
The data shows that Henderson has conceded 8 less than expected this season so even if he’s making some mistakes then he’s more than compensating for it by saving a lot shots that would be expected to go in. De Gea is at about par so it shows that mistakes aside for both players Henderson has done a much better job overall this season. He leads DDG In pretty much every statistical measure.

It’s narrow and misleading to try and count errors on a purely subjective basis. That’s what‘s great about the xG stats because they show how players and teams are performing against the average. It’s not perfect but it helps to contextualise performances in a purely objective manner.

Mindhunter

My big concern with De Gea even in his best years at the club was his poor distribution and lack of commanding the area.

Yes I agree that Henderson may have even worse distribution than DDG,however I feel that him coming back in the summer could give Dave the push he needs right now.

He just looks far too comfortable and knows his place is secure no matter how he performs.
Don't think that is a factor. He had that level of security even during his peak years at the club and in fact was carrying us at times. Adding in competition for places isn't going to help him.

I think a little bit of it is physical decline which can't be arrested but a huge part of it is mental. He isn't the same post the error against Portugal and looks like a shadow of his former confident self. He has lost the aura and has probably started doubting his own abilities. He is crumbling under the presser of having to justify the "best shot-stopper in the world tag". If I were him, I would just stop worrying about opinions about his individual performances and focus on the team's performance and outcomes. He needs to create some space in him mind. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, he doesn't seem to be able to do that.

I think he will get back some level of form for a mid-table Spanish club and will start making some world class saves again. At United the scrutiny is too high for him to get the time to sort out his mental issues unfortunately.

mu4c_20le

The data shows that Henderson has conceded 8 less than expected this season so even if he’s making some mistakes then he’s more than compensating for it by saving a lot shots that would be expected to go in. De Gea is at about par so it shows that mistakes aside for both players Henderson has done a much better job overall this season. He leads DDG In pretty much every statistical measure.

It’s narrow and misleading to try and count errors on a purely subjective basis. That’s what‘s great about the xG stats because they show how players and teams are performing against the average. It’s not perfect but it helps to contextualise performances in a purely objective manner.
Data like that only makes sense if he was given a season here and he finished with those stats. Two completely different environments and expectations. I would rather look at each individual mistake, as well as how he conceded some of the goals, and they were either positioning error or he got beaten on the near post.

patty123

Paul Hirst in The Times is reporting that some United players are concerned with the amount of mistakes De Gea has made in the last 2 years. And even Sergio Romero was annoyed at not being given the chance to play the Cup game. Hirst also says that Romero could start at West Ham. Hirst also says that De Gea has been poor in some training sessions too.

I think he has to drop him if the players in the team have lost faith in him which is damning.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...er-string-of-errors-by-david-de-gea-m9tk6jmk2
That highlighted bit if true, madness gone mad as bar Bruno (Jan n all) the rest of them have made many mistakes that have costed us over the past few yrs, so they are in no position to run their mouths.

I can understand Sergio's gripe given he is our cup keeper normally, thought it unfair of Ole to drop him, but given the stick Ole has taken and with City out I could of understood where he was coming from had he picked the same 11 like he had previous 5 games, but he didnt, so unfair on Sergio.

Web of Bissaka

I think Ddg needs a long holiday like Fergie gave Schmeichel mid way through a season once. His poor form however has become permanent unfortunately. There is just no getting away from that, he actually appears to be getting progressively worse which is the scary part. His form over the past two seasons simply is not good enough.

Henderson has proved himself to be capable in the premership and deserves his chance next season in my view. If he is not good enough then time to go shopping.
You actually posed a possible solution there.

:devil: Nice!
Also consistent with the current and upcoming seasons.

Season 20/21
1. Dean back with us.
2. First month of next season, Dean play most of the games with Romero back-ups.
3. De Gea given one month holiday (justification? = De Gea need a "break" to get back his normal form, maybe Ole can mention the break given to Schmeichel by SAF)
4. If Dean convinces, stay and keep his place.
5. If Dean is shaky and terrible ala Foster, we may need De Gea back if we're really serious in winning trophies and doing better next season.
6. Scenario #4 would meant De Gea can start fishing for new clubs and go away the earliest Jan 21'.
7. Scenario #5 meant we may need to loan back Dean (if still can) to get more exps.

Either scenario, we lose nothing.

The break may even jog De Gea to get back his "normal" form with almost zero mistakes every game.

Done!
Easy.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So De Gea has made 3 mistakes and saved 91.

So of all opportunities to make a mistake 97% of situations he’s dealt with this season he has done a good job with and we want him kicked out for the 3%?

IMO I think it’s stupid to drop him these next two games.

Next season is a different matter.
So you decide to completely ignore the fact that he is in the top3 bracket of players who are directly responsible for errors leading to goals? And this is only being him directly responsible for conceding.

There were so many instances where his distribution caused issues, passes to players who were under pressure, shit clearances, inability to come out and deal with crosses.

For a GK, 6-7 mistakes per season is a huge thing. This stat was only for the PL.

You mentioned Henderson making too many mistakes but I still can't see him on that list anywhere close to DDG.

Yes, I want him kicked out for costing us points in important games. That isn't changing anytime soon.

EwanI Ted

You realise the stats don’t remotely back that argument up?

Classical Mechanic

Data like that only makes sense if he was given a season here and he finished with those stats. Two completely different environments and expectations. I would rather look at each individual mistake, as well as how he conceded some of the goals, and they were either positioning error or he got beaten on the near post.
Sure you can do that analysis to assess strengths and weaknesses but xG stats give a better overall impression of value to a team. They key error in looking at mistakes only is they don’t tell you all the great saves that are bailing out their teams. xG offers an indication to that balance.

DDG without his awesome shot stopping ability is a very limited keeper. He adds nothing beyond that. His style makes it harder for the defenders and he can’t play out from the back very well.

My position has always been to let them both fight for the shirt next season like Fergie once did with Carroll and Howard. Neither may end up being the solution but Henderson deserves the chance and DDG deserves to be challenged.

mu4c_20le

Sure you can do that analysis to assess strengths and weaknesses but xG stats give a better overall impression of value to a team. They key error in looking at mistakes only is they don’t tell you all the great saves that are bailing out their teams. xG offers an indication to that balance.

DDG without his awesome shot stopping ability is a very limited keeper. He adds nothing beyond that. His style makes it harder for the defenders and he can’t play out from the back very well.

My position has always been to let them both fight for the shirt next season like Fergie once did with Carroll and Howard. Neither may end up being the solution but Henderson deserves the chance and DDG deserves to be challenged.
Based on what? that DDG has been poor? If DDG was still world class, would you still say the same?

EwanI Ted

I realized you've already made up your mind, despite not having actually watching his matches
The Beeb just did an article on it today. Put simply, Henderson is saving shots that De Gea isn’t and is making fewer mistakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53473330

If you think De Gea can get his form back of two years ago, that’s a different argument. But there’s no debate on who’s better this season.

crossy1686

career ending
You actually posed a possible solution there.

:devil: Nice!
Also consistent with the current and upcoming seasons.

Season 20/21
1. Dean back with us.
2. First month of next season, Dean play most of the games with Romero back-ups.
3. De Gea given one month holiday (justification? = De Gea need a "break" to get back his normal form, maybe Ole can mention the break given to Schmeichel by SAF)
4. If Dean convinces, stay and keep his place.
5. If Dean is shaky and terrible ala Foster, we may need De Gea back if we're really serious in winning trophies and doing better next season.
6. Scenario #4 would meant De Gea can start fishing for new clubs and go away the earliest Jan 21'.
7. Scenario #5 meant we may need to loan back Dean (if still can) to get more exps.

Either scenario, we lose nothing.

The break may even jog De Gea to get back his "normal" form with almost zero mistakes every game.

Done!
Easy.
I like these ideas but giving the highest paid goalkeeper in the world a holiday for a month doesn't sit well. It feels like a fast track to loaning him to Inter while we still pay his wages type of gamble, what if he comes back even more out of it? We'll struggle to sell him then, more than we would do currently.

It's almost on par with Yorke asking Fergie for a one year paid holiday after winning the treble.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Based on what? that DDG has been poor? If DDG was still world class, would you still say the same?
Clearly based on the fact that he’s an incredibly highly rated keeper within the game and at Utd and has outperformed many of the statistical measures over the course of the season. I don’t really see why that needs any justification to be honest as it pretty obvious why he deserves a chance.

mu4c_20le

If you think De Gea can get his form back of two years ago, that’s a different argument. But there’s no debate on who’s better this season.
People have posted those stats before.

Clearly based on the fact that he’s an incredibly highly rated keeper within the game and at Utd and has outperformed many of the statistical measures over the course of the season. I don’t really see why that needs any justification to be honest as it pretty obvious why he deserves a chance.
That's probably why you arent paid the big bucks to make these kinds of decisions. I rate him highly myself, but he is a 23 year old with one year of PL experience. So, it's not that obvious and it shouldn't be.

Red00012

Romero has been number 2 for several years, without making particular fuss about it.
50K a week into his back pocket to sit on the bench for one of the biggest clubs in the world why would he