Dean Henderson | On loan at Forest | gives public outburst against United

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerociousCorgis

i just dont get people. It doesnt have to be an either situation. DDG can not be the answer to our gk situation AND henderson can also be that as well. For those who dont want DDG because he isnt a "modern" keeper, why the hell would you want henderson? Havent seen much from him to show that he would be a great version of that either.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
i just dont get people. It doesnt have to be an either situation. DDG can not be the answer to our gk situation AND henderson can also be that as well. For those who dont want DDG because he isnt a "modern" keeper, why the hell would you want henderson? Havent seen much from him to show that he would be a great version of that either.
If we're actually going to sign a new keeper then great, but if it's going to be one or the other because we've got too many other positions to focus on then Henderson is a more complete keeper. It's not just about the 'modern' aspects of distribution (which he is better at than De Gea but certainly not great) and being able to play a higher line because he's willing and eager to come out of the box to clear balls (which he's much better at). It's also about the classic keeper attributes of being able to deal with crosses and aerial balls (where once again he's not great but he's still better at), command of his box and communication with the defenders.

De Gea is terrible at every one of those aspects. Not just the things that people look for in a 'modern' keeper, but also the things that would have been even more highlighted in the 90's and earlier. Basically the only thing he does have going for him is pure shot-stopping ability and even that was poor in three of the last four seasons.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Henderson's shaky run of games last season better than De Gea has been this season? That's nonsense. He has never once looked good enough to be our first choice keeper.
That's why I said arguably for this season. It's a certainty that he was better than De Gea had been in the previous three, but this one's debatable.

I didn't see Henderson having a shaky run of games, I saw him come in and actually be much more solid than De Gea had been which then helped make the defence ahead of him more solid as well. He did have a few games where he had shaky moments, but the only actual poor match I can remember off the top of my head was Liverpool. And at least some of those shaky moments he had in the other games seemed to be from trying too hard to impress, which there's a fair chance would settle down if he got a constant run of games. After all, a very experience De Gea got three shit seasons in a row before finally getting better again, I'd say there's a fairly good chance that a quite inexperienced Henderson would improve with a proper run.

flappyjay

Exactly they are both not the required level. Best thing to do is sell Henderson and let de Gea's contract expire then go for a modern keeper next summer.

FerociousCorgis

If we're actually going to sign a new keeper then great, but if it's going to be one or the other because we've got too many other positions to focus on then Henderson is a more complete keeper. It's not just about the 'modern' aspects of distribution (which he is better at than De Gea but certainly not great) and being able to play a higher line because he's willing and eager to come out of the box to clear balls (which he's much better at). It's also about the classic keeper attributes of being able to deal with crosses and aerial balls (where once again he's not great but he's still better at), command of his box and communication with the defenders.

De Gea is terrible at every one of those aspects. Not just the things that people look for in a 'modern' keeper, but also the things that would have been even more highlighted in the 90's and earlier. Basically the only thing he does have going for him is pure shot-stopping ability and even that was poor in three of the last four seasons.
meh if my two options are henderson in goal or ddg in goal plus 40 million ill take the 40 mill.

JB7

De Gea going nowhere
Nope, I agree nobody else is taking him on due to his ridiculous wages. That doesn't mean we have to play him - particularly if we signed a better goalkeeper such as Sanchez who was referenced in that post.

flappyjay

We need to sell in order to address more pressing areas. Henderson is more liquid than de Gea whose contract expires next summer. We can get a class modern keeper then.

miked99

Henderson's shaky run of games last season better than De Gea has been this season? That's nonsense. He has never once looked good enough to be our first choice keeper.
He gave away two goals in one match against Sheffield United last season. Put in an absolute horror performance against Liverpool. Somehow always looks small in his goal every time he plays and makes the most hyperactive version of Jordan Pickford look composed by comparison.

He isn't good enough and never will be, but the less he plays the better he gets it seems. It appears just charging off your line like a madman is all that matters in a goalkeeper for some.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Do not let him go on loan. Get the money and buy someone we actually will use with it.

K Stand Knut

Henderson isn’t getting sold. We aren’t going to solve all this our transfer issues in one window.

I feel that one of Henderson or De Gea should be sold but Henderson is under contract until 2025, is the younger of the two and will be kept ‘on the books’ to preserve his value.

Think they’re both worth about the same amount but teams likely to be put off by De Gea’s wages.

I think Henderson will go on loan

GreatDane

I rate Henderson actually, but neither him nor DDG is good enough for us.
Can't sell DDG because of his stupidly high wages and we won't bench him because of the same. So sell Henderson, play De Gea this season and don't renew him - more money for transfers now and new keeper next year.
Sorted.

NewYorkRed

Wonder why coach after coach keeps disagreeing with you then. DDG’s gotta be a magician or something to have them all fooled.

“its because of the contract he’s on” yeah alright then.

FerociousCorgis

Wonder why coach after coach keeps disagreeing with you then. DDG’s gotta be a magician or something to have them all fooled.

“its because of the contract he’s on” yeah alright then.
i mean coach after coach keep going with mcfred, and yet the first part shows they might not always be right. Anytime you can say coach after coach in such a short period of time means they are getting replaced at a much quicker rate than those coaches prob preferred haha

JB7

He gave away two goals in one match against Sheffield United last season. Put in an absolute horror performance against Liverpool. Somehow always looks small in his goal every time he plays and makes the most hyperactive version of Jordan Pickford look composed by comparison.

He isn't good enough and never will be, but the less he plays the better he gets it seems. It appears just charging off your line like a madman is all that matters in a goalkeeper for some.
We conceded 22 goals in the 26 games Henderson played last season & 46 in the 36 De Gea played.

He had a shocker against Liverpool you are absolutely correct, everyone harks on about it all the time as some kind of proof he isn't good enough but the same people say nothing about De Gea having two shitshows against Liverpool this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just sell now and use the funds. Even if it's not on a goalkeeper to usurp De Gea this season, it will strengthen whatever position ETH deems a more immediate priority and bring goalkeeper that much closer to the top of our priorities next summer.

We're not talking about some kid here, Henderson will turn 26 next season. He is what he is. He's either good enough to displace the very flawed De Gea right now or he isn't good enough to be worth keeping in general. Even if we all accepted he'd at least be a short-term improvement on De Gea, there's limited value in keeping him for a season as soon-to-be-replaced minimal upgrade versus just cashing in and moving on.

Just don't loan him, which would be utterly pointless. He won't be any more worth having when he comes back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So everyone thinks Henderson is shit yet think he's worth 40m?
Personally I would have kept him and started him next season.

Worrying that we are left with a keeper who's kicking is a major problem, would have expected Ten Hag to identify and fix this problem immediately, like when Guardiola banished Harte.
He's not shit. Just not suited to possession football.

RonaldoVII

We conceded 22 goals in the 26 games Henderson played last season & 46 in the 36 De Gea played.

He had a shocker against Liverpool you are absolutely correct, everyone harks on about it all the time as some kind of proof he isn't good enough but the same people say nothing about De Gea having two shitshows against Liverpool this season.
Because that didn't happen

JB7

Because that didn't happen
Yeah it did happen, of the 9 goals at least 6 he's either badly at fault for or made the finishes incredibly easy by making himself as small as possible.

Around the time of that first Liverpool game it was comedy time from De Gea with the games against Leicester, the two games at Atalanta, City & Watford all on the bounce. If you're Henderson, Heaton or frankly even Lee Grant watching them games and still not getting a chance you know it's time to leave.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Never good enough, been on this side of the fence for a long time. Screams another Pickford, overly confident, average keeper who will have a half decent run at a middling PL side.

Robinson, Carson, Green, Howard, Almunia all have/had good careers.

That's his level

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yeah it did happen, of the 9 goals at least 6 he's either badly at fault for or made the finishes incredibly easy by making himself as small as possible.

Around the time of that first Liverpool game it was comedy time from De Gea with the games against Leicester, the two games at Atalanta, City & Watford all on the bounce. If you're Henderson, Heaton or frankly even Lee Grant watching them games and still not getting a chance you know it's time to leave.
Feel free to post the match highlights.

JB7

Feel free to post the match highlights.
You should check out this site I know called YouTube. For reference, watch the highlights in full and see the difference facing De Gea clean through and Allisson clean through. Top of my head goals he's badly at fault were 3 & 4 in the home game and the first one in the away game. There's one across goal which he should be diving on as well but I won't class that as a bad error. And the ones he makes easy finishes (not saying he's directly at fault, just makes it very easy for the striker) are the first goal and last goals at Old Trafford and one in the away game but I can't remember which one.

There was so much focus (not wrongly) on Maguire and Shaw after the home game that everyone somewhat ignored the goalkeeper. IIRC Maguire copped more than Shaw which was bizarre because Shaw put in one of the worst performances at the top level we're ever likely to see with literally every goal coming down his side.

NewYorkRed

i mean coach after coach keep going with mcfred, and yet the first part shows they might not always be right. Anytime you can say coach after coach in such a short period of time means they are getting replaced at a much quicker rate than those coaches prob preferred haha
Not really tbf. Ole was clueless and RR had to work with what he had. ETH already looks like will do away with McFred hence the Frenkie links but he will not be replacing DDG by the looks of it.

GreatDane

If DDG signs a new s deal then sell
His wages are too high, 350k p/w?
Either he should renew on reduced wages or we should sell him/run the contract out.
He's not worth the money (and I like him).

Bulldog United

He's a world class saver of shots, and that kind of quality combined with a UK passport commands a fee of at least £85,000,000.

Dan_F

You know perfectly well that these kind of stats don’t directly compare. There’s definitely a debate to be had about the benefits or negatives of using either keeper, but those stats without context shouldn’t be used in it.

For example, Henderson’s games against good teams that year…City, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham once each. De Gea played PSG, Leipzig, Arsenal, Chelsea x2 in addition to the reverse of Henderson’s.

You would agree it’s far more likely that we will concede more from De Gea’s set of games?

Henderson also kept 5 clean sheets in FA/League Cup, where he would have faced weaker leagues or rotated PL teams. De Gea conceded 6 of his goals in that game against Spurs when Martial got sent off and Maguire/Bailly imploded.

JB7

You know perfectly well that these kind of stats don’t directly compare. There’s definitely a debate to be had about the benefits or negatives of using either keeper, but those stats without context shouldn’t be used in it.

For example, Henderson’s games against good teams that year…City, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham once each. De Gea played PSG, Leipzig, Arsenal, Chelsea x2 in addition to the reverse of Henderson’s.

You would agree it’s far more likely that we will concede more from De Gea’s set of games?

Henderson also kept 5 clean sheets in FA/League Cup, where he would have faced weaker leagues or rotated PL teams. De Gea conceded 6 of his goals in that game against Spurs when Martial got sent off and Maguire/Bailly imploded.
I do know those stats don't directly compare, however they are a factor, especially when it forms part of a trend with De Gea and us defending better as a team with a different goalkeeper behind them.

More than happy to use individual relevant statistics though:

20/21
De Gea: +0.1 PSxG, crosses dealt with 4.6%, sweeping per game 0.35.
Henderson: +0.3 PSxG, crosses dealt with 8.6%, sweeping per game 1.12.

I'll compare De Gea this season Henderson's full season at Sheffield United too as that obviously counts a full season for both players?

21/22 De Gea: +7.0 PSxG, crosses dealt with 3.0%, sweeping per game 0.22
19/20 Henderson: +5.2 PSxG, crosses dealt with 7.9%, sweeping per game 0.47
The sweeping stat alone is ridiculous given De Gea is playing behind a team trying to play a high line and Henderson was playing behind a deep back 5.

As I've said lots of times, I'm not even the biggest fan of Henderson but it's pretty clear we're backing the wrong the horse if we are sticking with De Gea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
40 million for Henderson :lol:

No chance in hell.

We'll inevitably increase his contract to 200k a week, probably for 6 years or something daft first.
Then have to fund 75% of his wages when we inevitably sell him for £2m to Sheffield United or someone in 2025.

Nickelodeon

He would’ve played more had he been better than De Gea. Take the cash now. Invest in a better keeper next season and get a cheap experienced one right now. We have many more critical issues to sort right now and the money could be the difference between a Frenkie or a cheaper but less suited DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.