Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Makes no sense, why would the Premier League intentionally increase the chances of teams being less competitive?
Bobby Robson kicked up a stink about it to any one who would listen about 20 years ago when Lua Lua played and scored against his Newcastle side while he was on loan to Portsmouth, Lomano scored in the 89th minute to rescue a draw.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Isn’t Flekken a bit shit though? Henderson is a better player
Not from what I have seen of him, I was hoping we could get him in a number 2 role last year to push de Gea, he's about as direct a Raya replacement as you could get and they got him for cheap.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I'd bet money they've just done and are waiting to do a load of photos with people - it's likely the one photo he's looking away has been picked up is because no one is interested in everyone looking at the camera, they want something to comment on. It is a nothing picture.
Most people pick the one picture they look best in

Kostov

Personally I do think the club has fecked over this lad on few occasions already and he has a genuine reason the feel alienated.

crossy1686

career ending
Personally I do think the club has fecked over this lad on few occasions already and he has a genuine reason the feel alienated.
There's been a bunch of broken promises to be fair to him, but at the same time he hasn't helped himself by being so much of a gobshite.

Member 101269

There's been a bunch of broken promises to be fair to him, but at the same time he hasn't helped himself by being so much of a gobshite.
It's understandable, but at the same time, if he was good enough there would be plenty in for him

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldanoGraham

I thought that Forest loved him……whats happened to make them get cold feet (bar recent injury)?

He has made it clear he wanted to remain there - he has no future at Utd.

We need that £120k a week of our books.

Mainoldo

I’m still confused to why it’s Forest or bust. What are these agents of our players doing. He was a £25m keeper at Sheffield United.

Don’t tell me no other team in the league can’t do with him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I’m still confused to why it’s Forest or bust. What are these agents of our players doing. He was a £25m keeper at Sheffield United.

Most clubs already have a goalkeeper and many of them already have a replacement goalkeeper for an ageing one that fills first team position still (e.g. West Ham with Fabianski and Areola). I don't think there'll be much demand for Henderson outside of Forest.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Might not spot him.
I'll give you a :lol: since the non-Norwegians probably won't get it.
Tried to make one myself, but realized it wouldn't work here.

Kaos

GK market is pretty saturated right now, and many will be looking for a modern keeper, even at the bottom end of the table. And tbh there's no shortage of them to be had at a good price.

I can see why clubs wouldn't bother looking Henderson's way when they can grab a promising modern keeper from the Bundesliga or La Liga for a fraction of the price. Only thing Hendo has going for him is homegrown status. He's not going to be the difference in a team's fight against relegation or pushing for European spots.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'll give you a :lol: since the non-Norwegians probably won't get it.
Tried to make one myself, but realized it wouldn't work here.
I know, but quite a few norwegians around so someone was bound to get it :lol:

red.knight

Dean Henderson is the perfect example of how the English media kills players by overhyping them early in their careers. Although Henderson showed rare glimpses of being a good keeper, he was never close to being a Manchester United number 1. He was leaking info to the press last season and it's clear that he has no future at United. A permanent move away is the best thing for everyone concerned.

redshaw

The market speaks again. If he was worth 20 million Forest would be buying him up before someone else does, or he'd be sold close to that already. I don't rate him at all and he looks a very small figure in the goal.

The lad is very sure of himself, he should drop the wage demands if that's a stumbling block and get a permanent move to restart his career. If he is better than others he will then get a move from Forest in a couple of years on much higher wages. He's been very fortunate to get high level keeper wages, lots of better keepers earn less.

Abraxas

It probably is the case that no other team in the league wants him. It doesn't seem too unbelievable for a keeper. End of the day you only really need to secure a first team keeper and a reliable backup. Nobody is going to pop up at a whim to add a keeper to their options, they need a space and he needs to be on the shortlist so I guess it's a far more limited market.

Foolsgold21

This situation is becoming pretty awkward for all involved - surely Forest will want their goalkeeper in place ASAP?

Something has to give in the next week,

Red00012

Wages is probably an issue as well

Alemar

It probably is the case that no other team in the league wants him.
That’s very strange. He is an arrogant cnut, but from a footballing perspective is an able goalkeeper. Being not good enough for United doesn’t mean he is unable to play well elsewhere - so there should be at least some takers

Abraxas

That’s very strange. He is an arrogant cnut, but from a footballing perspective is an able goalkeeper. Being not good enough for United doesn’t mean he is unable to play well elsewhere - so there should be at least some takers
Could be for all I know. I just think if this assumption is correct that Forest are the only interested PL party then it doesn't seem too farfetched. I think it's the nature of the keeper position, you generally have a space for a first team keeper upgrade and plan for it because you don't really want to maintain multiple expensive keepers. Like we did with Onana and DeGea out. Many may be happy with their keepers (how many are changing them?) and if they're not than I don't necessarily think Dean is an automatic choice. His performances were not as good as some are thinking. Middling at best.

Yakuza_devils

Dean Henderson is the perfect example of how the English media kills players by overhyping them early in their careers. Although Henderson showed rare glimpses of being a good keeper, he was never close to being a Manchester United number 1. He was leaking info to the press last season and it's clear that he has no future at United. A permanent move away is the best thing for everyone concerned.
To be fair, it's not only English media, many fans here was arguing that Henderson should be No.1 ahead of DDG. In reality he was nowhere near United quality.

For me personally, I don't rate Henderson at all even when DDG was not at his best.

JB7

To be fair, it's not only English media, many fans here was arguing that Henderson should be No.1 ahead of DDG. In reality he was nowhere near United quality.
In fairness the whole reason that argument came to be was because neither was De Gea and stylistically at the time Henderson was a better fit for the defenders in front of him. it wasn't that people necessarily thought Henderson was good enough to be the long-term number one IIRC.

Mainoldo

It probably is the case that no other team in the league wants him. It doesn't seem too unbelievable for a keeper. End of the day you only really need to secure a first team keeper and a reliable backup. Nobody is going to pop up at a whim to add a keeper to their options, they need a space and he needs to be on the shortlist so I guess it's a far more limited market.
Unless you’re at the top every team should be looking to improve. My point is I’m sure he’s better than 50% or the current number 1’s in the league so wtf do we have only one club for him to play at.

Agent do your f’ing job. Yes Fabianski is okay.. but we have an f’ing potential England number 1 available do you want him.

mu4c_20le

In fairness the whole reason that argument came to be was because neither was De Gea and stylistically at the time Henderson was a better fit for the defenders in front of him. it wasn't that people necessarily thought Henderson was good enough to be the long-term number one IIRC.
Stylistically they aren't that different, Dean is a bit more proactive but they are both mediocre with their feet. He was rightfully given a chance that year when De Gea was in poor form, but unfortunately it went to his head and he genuinely thought he'd done enough to oust him for the #1.

Still, he's not a bad keeper, and not too far off from the other NT hopefuls. Shouldn't be a problem finding a move.

Abraxas

Unless you’re at the top every team should be looking to improve. My point is I’m sure he’s better than 50% or the current number 1’s in the league so wtf do we have only one club for him to play at.

Agent do your f’ing job. Yes Fabianski is okay.. but we have an f’ing potential England number 1 available do you want him.
He wasn't a high performing keeper last year. It wasn't shown he's better than 50% of the keepers. That's probably part of the issue.

JB7

Stylistically they aren't that different, Dean is a bit more proactive but they are both mediocre with their feet. He was rightfully given a chance that year when De Gea was in poor form, but unfortunately it went to his head and he genuinely thought he'd done enough to oust him for the #1.

Still, he's not a bad keeper, and not too far off from the other NT hopefuls. Shouldn't be a problem finding a move.
Yeah, they're very different, there aren't only two types of goalkeeper. Henderson starts higher and is twice as likely to deal with balls in behind the defenders and more than twice as likely to deal with a cross into the box. Henderson is considerably more proactive at preventing opportunities whereas De Gea sticks to his line and relies upon his reflexes to do pretty much everything for him. And in the interests of fairness, he had done enough to take the number 1 shirt as pretty much every available individual and team metric showed we were considerably better with him in the team and defensively went to shit once De Gea was reintroduced, in addition to the manager at the time telling him he would be his number 1 for the season. I realise that's an unpopular view because a lot of people didn't seem to recognise the dramatic drop off in De Gea over the past 5 years until we started asking him to play out from the back last season, but that is the reality of it. It was one not-United-quality goalkeeper vs another not-United-quality goalkeeper with the only difference being one was a better fit for us playing higher up the pitch than the other.

mu4c_20le

Yeah, they're very different, there aren't only two types of goalkeeper. Henderson starts higher and is twice as likely to deal with balls in behind the defenders and more than twice as likely to deal with a cross into the box. Henderson is considerably more proactive at preventing opportunities whereas De Gea sticks to his line and relies upon his reflexes to do pretty much everything for him. And in the interests of fairness, he had done enough to take the number 1 shirt as pretty much every available individual and team metric showed we were considerably better with him in the team and defensively went to shit once De Gea was reintroduced, in addition to the manager at the time telling him he would be his number 1 for the season. I realise that's an unpopular view because a lot of people didn't seem to recognise the dramatic drop off in De Gea over the past 5 years until we started asking him to play out from the back last season, but that is the reality of it. It was one not-United-quality goalkeeper vs another not-United-quality goalkeeper with the only difference being one was a better fit for us playing higher up the pitch than the other.
None of these things happened when he started for us.

Anustart89

Dean Henderson is also the perfect example of how we as a club and fanbase tend to get our hopes up every time a promising player comes up from the academy. There have been numerous examples of players who showed promise who could have been sold after showing that promise where we’ve instead opted to keep them around due to thinking they’ll become world beaters and to keep the romance of the club’s academy alive.

We could’ve sold Henderson for £30m a couple of years ago. We could easily have fetched £15-20m for Tuanzebe a couple of years back, but instead of leveraging that promise into money we’re all like “fecking great, that’s us sorted at GK/CB for the next decade!!!”. We’re so obsessed with the idea of the team being filled with homegrown talent that we hold on to them long past the point of them showing themselves to be good enough to take the club forward, resulting in them being on big contracts and leaving on free transfers once those expire because nobody will take on their wages.

We’re the football version of a clingy guy where a fit girl says hi to him and he starts planning their children’s names.

JB7

None of these things happened when he started for us.
Except they did, you like many others were probably blinded by his horrendous performance in the Liverpool game. It's not an opinion, it's objective, the data is there for all to see. I looked into the various statistics in a long post on here probably 18 months back because people were saying that De Gea was rightfully number one as Henderson "hadn't taken his chance", every metric was considerably better with Henderson vs De Gea in goal during 20/21, that's not an opinion, that is what the evidential data and the overall results on the pitch showed. As I said, it was a case of one not-United-quality goalkeeper vs another not-United-quality goalkeeper, but one allowed us to play higher up the pitch and also helped to prevent shots on goal, whereas the other encouraged shots on goal as a stylistic choice, during a period where he wasn't stopping those shots with the regularity that he had done several years previous. There's a reason Ole told Henderson he would be number one going into 21/22 and the data backed him on it.

Had Ole not been busy putting his faith into Henderson being his number one in the summer of 2021, you'd like to think we'd have looked around and realised Mike Maignan was being allowed to move clubs for like £12m while we could get £30m+ for Henderson at that stage, but we had our heads in the sand which has cost us in the long run, as it was always likely to.

led_scholes

I understand when players want to leave due to play time, but he is overpaid here.

Iiiif he really wants to play he should communicate to his agent that he will take a huge paycut so teams can meet our transfer price.
Otherwise, he should shut up and shit in the bench.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I understand when players want to leave due to play time, but he is overpaid here.

Iiiif he really wants to play he should communicate to his agent that he will take a huge paycut so teams can meet our transfer price.
Otherwise, he should shut up and shit in the bench.
No one in his position is going to take a pay cut on a contract he'll never get again. And why would he. He's got a contract for the next couple of seasons and if we can't shift him we're more likely to send him out on loan for a decent percentage of his wages or a loan fee. When he'll eventually sign for another club, this summer or later, I can't imagine he'd get more than half of what he's currently earning. Unless he goes to Saudi, which is unlikely from both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.