Dean Henderson | Sold to Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Why would we want to delay the negotiations? How does that help us get a GK sorted? If anything, it puts us in a weaker position in negotiations with Arsenal because they know we need a keeper asap to start the season.
Where did I say you want to delay negotiations? Re-read my post.

Abraxas

He shouldn’t be #2 if he stays. Heaton should remain as backup.
Why?

We'll be paying him. May as well use him if he's the best quality keeper available and ETH is happy with his training.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd be surprised if he's happy to be our #2 this season and I'd be even more surprised if an unhappy Henderson is worth having as a #2. One way or another he should be outta here.

miked99

He must be absolutely baffled at the lack of clubs clamouring to secure his incredible talents.

Come on Forest, get your wallet out. Their scouting policy last season seemed to be 'sign anyone who happens to be walking past the stadium' so £20M for the bestest goalkeeper that ever lived should be nothing.

RuudTom83

He must be absolutely baffled at the lack of clubs clamouring to secure his incredible talents.

Come on Forest, get your wallet out. Their scouting policy last season seemed to be 'sign anyone who happens to be walking past the stadium' so £20M for the bestest goalkeeper that ever lived should be nothing.
Exactly...he must be screaming at his agent, one glimpse of Deano in training is all it takes apparently...yet the only team remotely interested in him, just wants him back on loan for another 12 months.

Gandalf

I don’t think 20 million for Henderson is not reasonable.
It is when you see players who have more PL experience and better stats (Sanchez and Raya) going for between 20M and 25M. Henderson has played less than 40 PL games in the last 3 seasons and is coming back from a significant injury and to add to that in those 3 years his skillset which is not that of a sweeper keeper has become devalued by the evolution of the game. We have to be more creative and maybe settle for a modest upfront fee but with some achievable add-ons and maybe a sell on clause.

SAFMUTD

All this comes from the stupid decision of giving him such high wages when he was never even close to being a starter for us.

Those wages price him out of most teams and we have to sell for cheap to compensate it.

Woodzy

All this comes from the stupid decision of giving him such high wages when he was never even close to being a starter for us.

Those wages price him out of most teams and we have to sell for cheap to compensate it.
To be fair, there was a time where Ole dropped De Gea for him. That regime were obviously lining him up to be our #1 and a lot of us on here were clamouring for it as well at the time with our rose tinted glasses on. None of us really knew if he would be good enough, we just knew that we didn’t want De Gea anymore and he seemed decent.

Turns out he’s a bit of a cnut and a bit shit.

Castia

Definitely the type to leak team news and stories from the dressing room

Absolute weapon this lad

SAFMUTD

To be fair, there was a time where Ole dropped De Gea for him. That regime were obviously lining him up to be our #1 and a lot of us on here were clamouring for it as well at the time with our rose tinted glasses on. None of us really knew if he would be good enough, we just knew that we didn’t want De Gea anymore and he seemed decent.

Turns out he’s a bit of a cnut and a bit shit.
Still that was a really brief period if I recall correctly was during a De Gea injury but after he came back it took him about 2-3 weeks to claim the starting spot.

We just don't know when to sell at the high. We should have sold him to Sheffield 3 years ago with a buy back clause in case he turned good.

miked99

Exactly...he must be screaming at his agent, one glimpse of Deano in training is all it takes apparently...yet the only team remotely interested in him, just wants him back on loan for another 12 months.
ETH must be doing the 'blinkers' thing where you desperately try not to look at the hot girl :lol:

Must.....resist....obvious.....brilliance :lol:

Gandalf

Still that was a really brief period if I recall correctly was during a De Gea injury but after he came back it took him about 2-3 weeks to claim the starting spot.

We just don't know when to sell at the high. We should have sold him to Sheffield 3 years ago with a buy back clause in case he turned good.
That was definitely the time to sell him and it would not have been to Sheffield United. The summer after that first season in the PL for them we had serious interest from Chelsea and Spurs as I recall and the fee would have been around 40M but we did not want to sell. A number of keepers had moved for big fees around that time and 40M was not so outlandish but now we are faced with a sluggish market for keepers, 3 years of his stock trending down and Spurs and Chelsea are delighted we did not want to sell back then.

worldinmotion66

I’d rather have Kovar as our no.2, I think he’s good enough.

We need to just call Forest’s bluff here, he was good for them until his injury and their alternatives are inexperienced/Hennessy so they need him as much as we need to get rid of him.

If they want to cover themselves with regards to his injury history, then we need to demand a big initial loan fee because we’ll struggle to get £10m for him next summer.

Teja

It's nice to be in a position of strength for once. Players have been fecking around with the club for far too long.

Go find a club and get us a fee and you're free to leave. Or shut up and be #2.

I was really surprised by Kovar during the pre-season tour - have high hopes for him, so I'd rather he go out on loan and develop instead of warming the bench here.

Gandalf

We need to just call Forest’s bluff here, he was good for them until his injury and their alternatives are inexperienced/Hennessy so they need him as much as we need to get rid of him.

If they want to cover themselves with regards to his injury history, then we need to demand a big initial loan fee because we’ll struggle to get £10m for him next summer.
Re Kovar. He is good enough but he wants and needs to start somewhere, Heaton is our number 2 and that is fine.

So far as calling their bluff. There is nothing to call, we have no leverage and there are perfectly decent PL level keepers available for low fees. It is our bluff that has been called and we can either continue throwing 120K a week at Hendo to sit in the stands or accept that maybe his real value is a lot less than we hoped and a loan with an obligation is better than a kick in the teeth.

Brophs

The One and Only
I see Glaston has decided to switch his allegiances to Nottingham Forest.

Baxquux

Re Kovar. He is good enough but he wants and needs to start somewhere, Heaton is our number 2 and that is fine.

So far as calling their bluff. There is nothing to call, we have no leverage and there are perfectly decent PL level keepers available for low fees. It is our bluff that has been called and we can either continue throwing 120K a week at Hendo to sit in the stands or accept that maybe his real value is a lot less than we hoped and a loan with an obligation is better than a kick in the teeth.
It's difficult, because we keep establishing precedents in terms of 'under-selling' players compared to what their valuation would be if the buying and selling clubs were reversed, even taking into account how much we overvalued them in the first place. But until we've got rid of the overpaid, ill-fitting squad detritus for whom a limited market exists (with the exception of a Saudi league or possibly US which their egos would find it difficult to many cases to countenance joining) , we're essentially counting on clubs who are both even more desperate but still have enough money swimming around to pay at least 60% of the 'normal' market value in other circumstances, and to meet at least 70-70% of the players wages, whilst also not being such complete basket-cases/certs for relegation themselves that it puts the player off. ..

m1tch

It is when you see players who have more PL experience and better stats (Sanchez and Raya) going for between 20M and 25M. Henderson has played less than 40 PL games in the last 3 seasons and is coming back from a significant injury and to add to that in those 3 years his skillset which is not that of a sweeper keeper has become devalued by the evolution of the game. We have to be more creative and maybe settle for a modest upfront fee but with some achievable add-ons and maybe a sell on clause.
Surely there's a English player levy for Dean though? Although that probably does get cancelled out by the MUFC discount code every club seems to have after signing up to our newsletter.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
But i thought when Ten Hag saw him in training that he would automaticly become number 1?
I mean if Henderson thought that he obviously wouldn't have been so desperate to go out on loan. He was obviously worried that ETH would want him to stay and he'd spend yet another season on the bench, and he was simply desperate to play after spending the majority of the previous two seasons on the bench. Can hardly blame him for that. The interview afterwards was silly despite it certainly not being as bad as many make out.

Gandalf

Surely there's a English player levy for Dean though? Although that probably does get cancelled out by the MUFC discount code every club seems to have after signing up to our newsletter.
Sanchez came through an English Academy so counts as homegrown and went for what appears to be 20M upfront with 5M in possible add-ons. I think he is more highly rated than Dean and was bought by Chelsea, a club with far deeper pockets than Forest. I am inclined to think that a lower upfront fee with a sell on clause and maybe some achievable add-ons makes the most sense here.

An example would be 10M with 5M if he hits certain benchmarks and a 10% sell on fee. If Dean does well and ends up moving to a big club in a couple of years for maybe 50M then we would end up with 10+5+5 for a total fee of 20M which is reasonable and Forest bank a 30M profit to buy his successor and maybe balance the books elsewhere. If he ends up being average for them we maybe end up with just half of the add-ons being met so we get 12.5M and his wages gone and they get a serviceable starting keeper for a lower PL club which again is fair to both.

bosskeano

looks like Henderson going to Forest is off with them pushing to get a deal in place for Turner

Gandalf

looks like Henderson going to Forest is off with them pushing to get a deal in place for Turner
Not according to their fans. They don't rate Hovarth or Hennessey at all and so it seems the plan was always 2 keepers in this window, Deano won't be fit to start the season anyway so they had to sign someone else to open the season with but it does explain the whole loan with an obligation to buy approach as they would probably prefer to pay for Turner now and defer a fee for Hendo to next summer.

AlexUTD

I mean if Henderson thought that he obviously wouldn't have been so desperate to go out on loan. He was obviously worried that ETH would want him to stay and he'd spend yet another season on the bench, and he was simply desperate to play after spending the majority of the previous two seasons on the bench. Can hardly blame him for that. The interview afterwards was silly despite it certainly not being as bad as many make out.
Im sure that was the case mate, but he comes across as a cnut in that interview so i like to make some sarcastic jokes on his expense.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So even Nottingham Forest doesn’t want him? Maybe he will give another snobbish interview to trash them

worldinmotion66

30 games is no obligation, they can easily avoid that and he may well pick up an injury and we’re stuck with him again. They’re going after average American keepers with no experience in the league, where are these decent PL keepers they’re being linked to? They loaned him last season, pay up or don’t bother and see how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.